Author Topic: WOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!  (Read 14438 times)

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
Re: WOOOOO-EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 12:52:41 pm »
(which brings up the question, I wonder how Jack and Ennis would have voted...now there's a new topic! )

NewYears, I put that topic up a few days ago on the polls. Check it out!   ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 01:27:34 pm »
I'm eagerly awaiting the announcements about Virginia and Montana too.

It may be a long wait, judging from how past recounts have gone.  But not to worry.  The Senate is in the bag.  Our guys are ahead - in Montana by 2500 and in Virginia by 7000+.  And I just heard on NPR that the last time they did a recount in Virginia it was for Attorney General.  The Dem was ahead by a couple thousand votes and the Republican ordered a recount that took well into December and all it served to do was add 37 more votes to the loser's (and I mean that on a number of levels) tally.

It's *all* good.   ;D

I'm sorry to hear of the voting results in Colorado, but I take heart in the fact that Arizona voted against a gay marriage ban - the first state to do so - and that Idaho voted against a tough abortion law that the fundies were hoping would be contested had it won and go all the way to the Supreme Court, marshalling in an overturning of Roe v. Wade, and that Missouri voted for stem cell research.

I do believe the tide is turning, folks.  And not one moment too soon.

My next prediction - Bush is gonna cut Rummy's strings.  Maybe even at 1:00 today.  But if not today, soon.  Very soon.
No more beans!

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 01:42:03 pm »
Well, I have mixed feelings. The good news is, in Colorado we have a democratic governor AND a democratic legislature. None of that Beauprez character who put me in a bah-humbug mood by speaking at my firstborn child's high school graduation! But the bad news is that our brave new domestic partnership bill didn't pass, and the definition-of-marriage amendment did. Bah! The Focus on the Family crowd won despite the Haggart affair, which might have actually hurt our chances rather than help them.

Ditto.

We've still got some pretty toxic people in office in the House (Musgrave, and that guy from Colorado Springs, at the very least, though I don't get CO news down here, so I don't know much about them), and in the Senate (Allard), but at least we have the less-toxic governor.

And, yeah, I think the Haggard affair probably hurt domestic partnership and gay marriage in Colorado, too. I was pretty stressed out by the tone of the stories I read, and worried that there might be more backlash from the anti-gay crowd than support from the people who voted Democrat.

And conservatism in Colorado may have traditionally been of the Libertarian sort, but it sure isn't right now. Republicans who don't tow the socially conservative line have been nearly run out of the party.

I thought it was South Dakota that decided not to ban abortions?
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 01:46:44 pm »
   the first state to do so - and that Idaho voted against a tough abortion law that the fundies were hoping would be contested had it won and go all the way to the Supreme Court, marshalling in an overturning of Roe v. Wade, and that Missouri voted for stem cell research.

And exactly how is killig babies a good thing?
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 01:54:37 pm »
Look -- the map of voting on Colorado's anti-gay-marriage amendment shows where the mountains are. Not exactly, but pretty darn close.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/states/CO/I/05/
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 01:59:23 pm »
And exactly how is killig babies a good thing?

When you take away a woman's right to choose except in the event that she'll die if she goes forward with the pregnancy, you force women who are the victims of rape and incest (or both, basically) to go out of state or do it illegally.

I won't argue with you, or anyone, about the issue of abortion itself.  It's highly-charged and emotional, and understandably so.  I have my own personal reasons for being very strongly pro-choice that I won't go into here, but I also deeply understand the way you and others of the same mind feel about it.  Basically, I look at it this way:  If you're against abortion, don't have one.  I think the best we all can do on this issue is to reach a common ground - that the best way to avoid abortions is to avoid unwanted pregnancy.  And the best way to avoid unwanted pregnancy is a whole other ball o' wax from which I will now giddily run away!
No more beans!

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 02:05:55 pm »
Just heard the news: Donald Rumsfeld is about to resign. Bush will announce it in a couple of minutes.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2006, 02:11:28 pm »
Just heard the news: Donald Rumsfeld is about to resign. Bush will announce it in a couple of minutes.

He just announced it.  He says, "It's time for new leadership in the Defense Department."  YA THINK???

I just thank all the stars in heaven he didn't think of this 24 hours ago.  It'd be an entirely different day today.  But now, it's not only a new day.  It's a new world.

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2006, 02:13:08 pm »
My next prediction - Bush is gonna cut Rummy's strings.  Maybe even at 1:00 today.  But if not today, soon.  Very soon.

Seems to me he oughtta cut more than his strings.

Call for Lorena Bobbitt?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »
I thought it was South Dakota that decided not to ban abortions?

And you thought correctly.  Where in the Sam Hill did I get Idaho???  I must have been thinking about potatoes or something...   :P
No more beans!