Author Topic: Full Frame DVD is "Open-Matte"!  (Read 13855 times)

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Full Frame DVD is "Open-Matte"!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 07:53:58 pm »
Update:  The davecullen.com person who posted the Full (Open Matte) Frame DVD information will be posting his DVD comparison Review with screencaps this weekend.  I'll post a link to his review/screencaps so we can all see the differences between Open Matte and Widescreen.    

I love my Widescreen BBM DVD, so this may turn out to be a "bonus" disc for optional viewing on my standard 27 inch TV. :)   

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 10:34:30 pm »
If this Open-matte thing ends up being true, I'll be buying my first "full screen" DVD.

Thanks for posting this!

According to Prieto, the reason for this was to emphasize the height of the mountains and trees, using the full power of the frame vertically. 

However, I'm not really getting his logic because technically, 1.85 is no taller than 2.35, just less wide. 

rt, I think Prieto did that, because the ratio 1.85:1 gives a better illusion of height, making things appear taller, don't you think?
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 01:09:18 am »
I just ran out to buy the full screen to add to my wide screen edition so we'll see. I was just in time cuz there were only 2 left-there were many many more than that yesterday when I was in the video store.

Heathen

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2006, 02:39:57 am »
RouxB, once you've had a chance to watch the Full Frame (Open Matte) version...come back and let us know about your viewing experience. 

It's interesting to note that the Full Frame BMM "seems" to be selling as well as the Widescreen version (which is rare in today's video market).  I went to my local Tower store yesterday and they were completely sold out of BOTH versions and won't get another shipment till Monday. They just flew off the shelf!

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2006, 07:44:01 am »
Someone on LiveJournal has posted part one of an eight-part download of the full-screen captures.  You are right, there is more content shown on the full-screen captures.

Click here to view/download them.
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 07:31:26 pm »
Thanks for the link above.

Well, I went ahead and "double dipped" and picked up the "Full Frame" DVD.  My first impression?

This has got to be one of the best transfers of a Widescreen film onto a Full Screen format that I've ever seen!  The Full Frame DVD is indeed an "Open Matte" version of the film as I didn't see one instant of "pan and scan" throughout the entire movie.  Yes, there are several instances where I noticed an ever so slight "cropping" at the sides of the picture, but for the most part the side to side ratio is intact without much loss. 

As a huge Bonus you get MORE picture above and below the normal "letterbox" lines of the WS DVD.  Footage that was filmed then "matted out" in the 1:85:1 widescreen ratio is now "restored" on the Full Frame DVD.  More Sky!  More Mountain!  More Jack!  More Ennis!

Yes, the widescreen version is THE definitive version of Ang's vision, but as an alternative viewing experience the Full Frame is a nice bonus for BBM fans. 

I'll be honest, watching widescreen films on my 27 inch TV can often leave me feeling "distant" from the story as I'm constantly reminded of the letterbox ratio.  The Open Matte version of BBM pulled me into the story, much like my earlier theaterical experiences did!

There is a stunning amount of detail evident in the Full Frame version that I missed or overlooked on my WS DVD.  From the overall performances to the subtle facial expressions (oh my, those close ups!) to even the textures of the clothing and the beauty of the landscape...it all seems more "up close and personal" on the Open Matte transfer!  I saw details that I've never seen in the theaters or on my earlier WS DVD viewing.

And yes, in case you're wondering the tent scenes are even more "intimate" (you feel like you're in the tent with them!) on the Full Frame DVD.

There were several scenes that seems ever so slightly cropped on the sides (Ennis bathing/Jack cliff jumping), but for the most part every scene on the WS version (and then some) remains intact on the Full Frame DVD.  This is not a dreaded "pan and scan" Full Frame DVD.

By the way, even the picture quality appears "better" on the Full Frame...probably because it's a larger image.

This is an excellent "bonus" disc to go along with your Widescreen DVD!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 07:49:08 pm by You-Bet »

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 08:02:54 pm »
UPDATE:  Based on all your comments and the screen caps, I did buy the full-screen version yesterday and watched it, and it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

It's funny - it took awhile for my eyes to adjust to the new dimensions after seeing the actual film now so many times.  It's a little strange at first.  But once I did, it was great to be able to see them fill the screen and close up. 

And to see the added footage on the top and bottom of the frames, for example, in the motel scene you see more of Ennis' hand (including his wedding ring) and his arm as he strokes Jack's arm, which is around him.  It's awesome!!!

I am still glad I have the widescreen version because it does give me the original experience as I enjoyed it and as the filmmakers intended, but on my 27-inch TV, the full-screen gets to be a pretty amazing, intimate experience.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:07:20 pm by amh625 »
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 08:05:26 pm »
As a huge Bonus you get MORE picture above and below the normal "letterbox" lines of the WS DVD.  Footage that was filmed then "matted out" in the 1:85:1 widescreen ratio is now "restored" on the Full Frame DVD.  More Sky!  More Mountain!  More Jack!  More Ennis!

....The Open Matte version of BBM pulled me into the story, much like my earlier theaterical experiences did!...

There is a stunning amount of detail evident in the Full Frame version that I missed or overlooked on my WS DVD.     

Crap!  Now you've totally made me want this!!!!!  I may have to buy it tomorrow. 

Did you see the screen captures?  That should help you see how much more there is.
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 08:18:45 pm »
Did you see the screen captures?  That should help you see how much more there is.

Yes I did, thanks TBS!!!!  You're right - the descriptions you guys have given are great, buy SEEING is BELIEVING!!!

Off to Best Buy tomorrow I will be!
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 08:21:53 pm »
Thanks for the report! When the special edition DVD comes out (fingers crossed), I will have every disc made-screener, Widescreen and Fullscreen. Is 4 of the same thing a bit obsessive??

I think not!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 05:58:36 pm by RouxB »

Heathen