Author Topic: Full Frame DVD is "Open-Matte"!  (Read 13744 times)

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Re: Full Frame DVD is "Open-Matte"!
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 08:36:35 pm »
Ya'll come back Saturday...I'll be posting another link to a side by side Screencap Comparison so you can see the difference between the WS and FF DVD.  There will also be a "review" attatched from the guy over at davecullen who "broke" the news on the Open Matte transfer. :)

*Latest Update:  The guy still has not posted his DVD review with WS-FF comparison screencaps as of Saturday night.  Hopefully he'll have it up soon.  I'll post the link as soon as it is made available.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 12:49:53 am by You-Bet »

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 09:51:51 pm »
Ya'll come back later tonight...I'll be posting another link to a side by side Screencap Comparison so you can see the difference between the WS and FF DVD.  There will also be a "review" attatched from the guy over at davecullen who "broke" the news on the Open Matte transfer. :)

sweet!  i can't wait to see!
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2006, 10:13:24 am »
UPDATE: Link Fixed/Changed

OK, click below for some Widescreen- Full Frame (Open Matte) screencap comparisons! 

As I mentioned the Open Matte transfer does occasionally (ever so slightly) crop the sides (example = Jack in stream), but for the most part on the Full Frame DVD you'll see more picture above and especially below the normal "letterbox" ratio.  Case in point, check out the full frame screencap with Jack leaning on his truck...oh my.  This also holds true for the tent scenes, the motel scene etc, etc.

It also bares repeating, "more picture is not always better" as it does alter the film's artistic/visual composition...I see the Full Frame DVD as a "bonus" viewing experience to the definitive Widescreen version.  The Open Matte (for standard TV's) certainly draws you into the "frame" more, and thankfully in this case, that's a nice alternative.

Updated:  Here's the link that will take you to directly to the start (several pages) of Screencap Comparisons on the DC message board.

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=4716.msg154880#msg154880

« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 12:03:40 pm by You-Bet »

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 12:50:04 am »
Sorry.  I just got home from a 12 hour work shift to discover the faulty link.  It's now fixed (and works!).  Follow the directions in my post above to see a handful of WS-FF Screencap comparisons with commentary. 

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 01:08:10 am »
I've watched both and I have to say, the full screen was a treat. It mimics the theater experience a bit more-more picture, everything bigger. Feels like you are in the picture. It does screw witht the sides a bit and, as you said, it does in a not-readily apparent way erode the composition but it it really makes the nature scenes pop. LOTS more blue sky, rushing water, mountain top. Oh, and more sheeps.

O0

Heathen

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 01:15:40 am »
UPDATE:  Based on all your comments and the screen caps, I did buy the full-screen version yesterday and watched it, and it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!

And to see the added footage on the top and bottom of the frames, for example, in the motel scene you see more of Ennis' hand (including his wedding ring) and his arm as he strokes Jack's arm, which is around him.  It's awesome!!!

I am still glad I have the widescreen version because it does give me the original experience as I enjoyed it and as the filmmakers intended, but on my 27-inch TV, the full-screen gets to be a pretty amazing, intimate experience.

Anne Marie, I just saw your updated post on page 1.  Thanks for sharing.  I agree with everything you said.  Yes, the motel scene with Ennis (wearing wedding ring) caressing Jack's arm is a nice "bonus" reveal on the Full Frame version.  Like you I have a 27 inch TV, and the Open Matte transfer makes the viewing experience much more "up close and personal".  :)

Offline You-Bet

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2006, 01:23:29 am »
I've watched both and I have to say, the full screen was a treat. It mimics the theater experience a bit more-more picture, everything bigger. Feels like you are in the picture....LOTS more blue sky, rushing water, mountain top. Oh, and more sheeps.

O0

Yes RouxB, I agree...it seemed closer to my theaterical experience of the film and drew me in.  Like you, I was quite taken with how vivid the nature scenes (blue sky, streams, trees, mountains) seemed on the Full Frame version.  Nice to have this as a bonus disc!   

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 07:44:12 am »
That settles it--

if, in the motel scene, the 'Fullscreen' version shows more of Ennis's arm caressing Jack's, with wedding ring to boot, that's enough for me--I'm getting it.

(And what's the point in trying to be completist if you don't just break down and buy everthing, anyway?)

Thanks, all, for the info!

:)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline amh

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • C'mere, baby.
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 09:48:11 am »
if, in the motel scene, the 'Fullscreen' version shows more of Ennis's arm caressing Jack's, with wedding ring to boot, that's enough for me--I'm getting it.

John and everyone else, if you look at the link YB posted, in that scene you also get more of JACK'S CHEST, including more CHEST HAIR!!!!!!!   It's worth it for that alone.  :P
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 09:52:49 am by amh625 »
:-* This ain't no rodeo, cowboy.

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 11:28:59 am »
Thanks to Amazon Prime, I'll have Ennis's wedding ring and Jack's (or Jake's) chest hair by Wednesday night.

::)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"