Author Topic: Another country to knock off the list  (Read 1838 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Another country to knock off the list
« on: November 10, 2006, 11:55:56 pm »
Gay cruises draw protests in Caribbean

By ELLSWORTH CARTER, Associated Press Writer Fri Nov 10, 8:07 AM ET

ROSEAU, Dominica - Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit said Thursday he will meet with evangelicals in Dominica seeking restrictions on gay cruises, which have drawn some protests elsewhere in the Caribbean.
ADVERTISEMENT

Dominica has no restrictions on the tours, but Skerrit told The Associated Press that he will meet soon with the Evangelical Association to outline the government's position on gay cruises stopping in the island.

"I will make a statement on the issue after my meeting with the members of the Evangelical Association," he said.

Bill Daniel, the group's president, said Skerrit had not contacted him to schedule a meeting — which the association had demanded.

"We want the government to ensure that gay tourists do not come to the island and conduct themselves in any immoral way," he said, adding that he did not want Dominica portrayed "as a gay tourist destination."

Dominica, a lush island of mountains and waterfalls that bills itself as the "Nature island of the Caribbean" and is where parts of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies were filmed, relies heavily on tourism revenue, as do many other countries in the region.

One of the poorest countries in the Caribbean, Dominica attracted 250,230 tourists over the first six months of the year — an increase of roughly 50,000 from the same period last year, according to the Trade Ministry.

Tourism officials have sought an increase in cruise calls to boost tourism to Dominica and they have tried to distance themselves from the evangelicals position.

"We don't have any problem with gay cruises coming to Dominica," said Francisco Esprit, a board member of the Dominica Taxi Association. "We see it as part of the business and we are yet to receive any negative comments from our members about gay tourism."

At least one gay cruise has stopped in Dominica.

No stops by gay cruises are scheduled to stop in the island through early next year, said Peter George, head of Shipping at H.H.V. Whitchurch and Co., the agent for cruise ships stopping in Dominica.

Despite their image as a sun-and-surf playground, many Caribbean islands remain socially conservative.

Protesters held a small demonstration against a gay cruise stopping in February in the Cayman Islands, which refused in 1998 to allow a gay cruise to dock. The British territory adopted a nondiscrimination policy in 2001 that bars it from blocking gay cruises.

A cruise ship carrying lesbians that docked in the Bahamas was met by protesters in 1998.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Another country to knock off the list
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 12:26:00 am »
That's fine. I can't speak for other gay people but I certainly don't want to visit a country where I'm not welcome.  >:(

I have a feeling they are biting themselves in the ass though. As a rule, gay people are big spenders, especially when on vacation. Banning us from their island will result in a big pinch in their wallets.

But that's fine with me I suppose. I'm perfectly happy with Key West, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 09:42:35 am »
Frome Delalluvia:
he will meet soon with the Evangelical Association to outline the government's position on gay cruises stopping in the island.

Arrrg, someone please stop me from cursing really badly here  >:(
The words "Evangelical association" are such a red rag to me. Only a week ago I wrote on another thread that those evangelicals in my neighbourhood keep a low profile for a while now. But the last days they've caused new trouble.
I spent about three hours at my pc yesterday, looking for information and munition to fight back (on my local level only) and now I'm reading this. I'm so mad about it.

The Evangelical Associations stand for bondage, intolerance and bigotry. They are a threat for everybody with working brains and a believe in humanitiy and freedom.

I'm shocked that the Evagelical Association has so much power in this country that the Prime Minister decides to meet with them, let alone that they are in a position where they can "demand" anything   >:(

Protesters held a small demonstration against a gay cruise stopping in February in the Cayman Islands, which refused in 1998 to allow a gay cruise to dock.
A cruise ship carrying lesbians that docked in the Bahamas was met by protesters in 1998.

>:(
 Wasn't BBM also blocked on the Bahamas?

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 12:53:47 pm »
Bill Daniel, the group's president, said Skerrit had not contacted him to schedule a meeting — which the association had demanded.

"We want the government to ensure that gay tourists do not come to the island and conduct themselves in any immoral way," he said, adding that he did not want Dominica portrayed "as a gay tourist destination."

Gag.  Tourism boards, commercials and cruise lines advertise alcohol and women in bikinis...I guess they assume all these tourists are just holding hands?  I'm with you, Penthesilea.  Everytime I hear any organization with such names, I start to grind my teeth.

Wasn't BBM also blocked on the Bahamas?

It was either the Bahamas or Bermuda.  I forget.

I have a feeling they are biting themselves in the ass though. As a rule, gay people are big spenders, especially when on vacation. Banning us from their island will result in a big pinch in their wallets.

Yeah, they are and they'll live to regret it.  I can easily avoid their island and tell all my friends to avoid it as well, since other islands are much more welcoming.