Author Topic: After watching my DVD a half Dozen times  (Read 25560 times)

vkm91941

After watching my DVD a half Dozen times
« on: April 06, 2006, 03:09:12 pm »
I am firmly back in the Jack was murdered camp.   The "flash-back" of what happens seems to be more Lureen's to me than Ennis's.  And that little cry/moan she makes when she realizes who Ennis is, is her realization that Jack had the same relationship with Ennis that he was having with Randall. As Annie says in her story...the little voice is as cold as snow.

You know that old addage you don't shit wear you eat, will I've come to the conclusion that Jack did indeed take up with Randall and he was telling the truth when he told Ennis he almost got caught a coupla times sneaking out to be with the "wife"(when actually he was sneaking out to be with Randall)....that time he did get caught and it cost him his life..

I may change my mind after another half dozen viewing but this is where I'm sitting rightnow  pretty strong in that conviction.

rtprod

Re: After watching my DVD a half Dozen times
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 03:11:48 pm »
I'm with you, 100%.  But still think Ennis is the one "seeing" the murder, rather than Lureen. 
rt

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 03:13:46 pm »
I am firmly back in the Jack was murdered camp.   The "flash-back" of what happens seems to be more Lureen's to me than Ennis's.  And that little cry/moan she makes when she realizes who Ennis is, is her realization that Jack had the same relationship with Ennis that he was having with Randall. As Annie says in her story...the little voice is as cold as snow.

You know that old addage you don't shit wear you eat, will I've come to the conclusion that Jack did indeed take up with Randall and he was telling the truth when he told Ennis he almost got caught a coupla times sneaking out to be with the "wife"(when actually he was sneaking out to be with Randall)....that time he did get caught and it cost him his life..

I may change my mind after another half dozen viewing but this is where I'm sitting rightnow  pretty strong in that conviction.

I've always thought it was more Lureen thinking about what really happened as she was telling Ennis 'what happened', so I agree.

Offline YaadPyar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 03:18:59 pm »
I've always thought most of what you said Vic.  The only difference that I get is that in the story it's cleary Ennis who is imagining/understanding the situation - from his perspective completely in the story.

But I'm in agreement on all counts otherwise.  The possibility of the tire accident to me completely changes the meaning of this story, although I know other's dont' agree.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

rtprod

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 03:22:49 pm »
Celeste,

I agree with you so completely.  The whole exploding tire just isn't plausible to me, and Lureen, as played by Hathaway is obviously lying.  Now I'm going to catch hell for this, but it significantly softens one of the story's principal themes--an intolerant society of the time--if Jack's death was an accident.  Additionally, it's foreshadowed so heavily in the campfire scene....

Here comes the hate mail....

rt
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 03:45:14 pm by rtprod »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 03:25:45 pm »
I agree, Vic, and have always been in the Jack murdered camp. Lureen knows it which I take from the monotonic recitation of the accident, while Ennis is picturing what went on in his mind.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 03:29:08 pm »
rtprod,

Just to keep terminology straight, until now, 'tire iron" has meant hate killing, as in "They took a tire iron to him," and "So now he knew it was the tire iron."

The accidental death version as recounted by Lureen, "The tire blew up, broke his jaw..." is the opposing view.

I am a tire ironist myself--by which I mean I believe it was no accident.

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline YaadPyar

Meryl - I need some help!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 03:33:35 pm »

I've GOT to go back to the cult thread, which Andrew has lovingly archived, and look at the division between the 'tire-ironists' and ???.   Like the division between the Junians and Septemberists.

Meryl - Oh High Priestess of the BBM Cult - help us out here!!
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 03:38:25 pm »
Nope, not me. I am in the "we don't know" camp. Nobody said it and we didn't see-nor did Ennis- it so it can't be "known". Even when Ennis thinks to himself "he knew" how could he??

It has been stated by Ang Lee that the flashback was indeed Ennis's, not Lureen's. He stated the entire scene was from Ennis's POV.

I'm not saying he wasn't murdered, I'm just saying from my perspective there is no reason to think that. The only reason that scenario comes into play is because of Ennis's experience with Rich as a child.

Heathen

rtprod

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 03:42:57 pm »
Hi Jimmy,

You are right -- I agree it it was the tire iron.  I'll amend my post!

rt

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 03:44:41 pm »
rtprod,

Just to keep terminology straight, until now, 'tire iron" has meant hate killing, as in "They took a tire iron to him," and "So now he knew it was the tire iron."

The accidental death version as recounted by Lureen, "The tire blew up, broke his jaw..." is the opposing view.

John, I'm happy we agree. I've been a tire-ironist since 1997. I always believed Jack was murdered. Once I explained that I felt the structure of the story and and what I called its mythic quality practically demanded that Jack was murdered. Who knows whatever became of that thread?

I expect rt just "miss-typed," that he meant "tire accident."

As for "don't shit where you eat," I think I may even have used those words myself once. Although it almost seems counterintuitive, my feeling has been that Jack was "safer" going to Mexico for hustlers, but when he started "looking for it" closer to home, in Childress, where we know he wasn't much respected to begin with (remember the two old coots in the office who call Jack a pissant right in front of Lureen?), rumors probably started flying, and he ran afoul of the local homophobes.

Gosh, isn't it good to be able to discuss the plot in peace again?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 03:49:03 pm »
This might be strange, but I honestly have never chosen one way or the other, and I don't want to choose.  I like that I don't know.  It's enough for me to know that Ennis thinks it was the tire iron, I like to be just as unsure as he is... Does anyone else feel that way?
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

rtprod

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 03:51:51 pm »
Jeff,

I'm with everyone here.  Of course we don't know "for certain," but it is very strongly suggested--more than strongly--that it was a fatal gay bashing, and to overlook those images and the homophobic thrust of the time and place, combined with Jack's sense of loss in adult life and th apparent recklessness he adopted, makes no sense, at least to me.  An accident has no weight.  True, it's ultimately about love and loss, and Ennis would feel those things regardless of the circumstace.  But the reality of what likely happens adds many dimensions to Ennis' fears, society, etc.

rt

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 03:56:37 pm »
Jeff,

I'm with everyone here.  Of course we don't know "for certain," but it is very strongly suggested--more than strongly--that it was a fatal gay bashing, and to overlook those images and the homophobic thrust of the time and place, combined with Jack's sense of loss in adult life and th apparent recklessness he adopted, makes no sense, at least to me.  An accident has no weight.  True, it's ultimately about love and loss, and Ennis would feel those things regardless of the circumstace.  But the reality of what likely happens adds many dimensions to Ennis' fears, society, etc.

rt

Absolutely, rt! "Hunderd percent!" Right on the money! Although reading littleguitar's post has reminded me of something else I used to say back in the days before the Great Troll Wars: Ultimately, what matters is that Ennis believes it was the tire iron.

Jeff
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 04:11:47 pm »
I'm with RouxB and littleguitar, which is to say I'm agnostic. I don't think the mystery has a "real" answer. I think it's meant to remain for the viewer forever ambiguous, because that's how it is for Ennis, and that way we can share his pain of uncertainty, which must be awful. Not knowing the fate of a loved one can often be worse, I've been told by people whose family members went missing, than knowing the worst.

Also, to me the movie focuses less on the threat of society's actual intolerance, real though that is, than it does on the effect that intolerance has on an individual: Ennis. A gay bashing would imply that Ennis's fears of living with Jack were at least somewhat sensible and well-founded. But to me, it's sadder, more subtle and more profound to think that his society- and dad-induced fear and shame (which might inspire a faulty understanding of Jack's death) was the biggest obstacle to his own happiness. However, it's all left open to interpretation -- and you all are right that Jack's Randall fling and well-established openness are strong arguments the other way -- which is another reason I don't think we're supposed to know for sure what happened to Jack.

Offline Chanterais

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 04:20:29 pm »
I'm with RouxB and littleguitar, which is to say I'm agnostic.

Such a great line.  As is this one, from Jeff Wrangler:

I've been a tire-ironist since 1997.

I'm pretty sure it had to have been the tire iron, myself.  As others have pointed out, it takes away some of the great, dreadful weight of the story if it had been an accident.  An act of violence is tragedy; an accident is farce.

And I'm in the Ennis'-flashback camp, too.  Do we get our own tents?

vkm91941

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 04:26:43 pm »
I just LOVE it that we're talking about the movie again.  Get those DVD's out folks so we can have lots of discussions!

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 04:29:53 pm »
LOL you know what's really sad Vic?? I still haven't gotten to watch my DVD....  :'(
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 04:31:23 pm »
I just wrote this over at the IMDb board.  Silly me, still trying to slay the trolls, I know, but the good guys got to discussing this very topic and of course I *had* to jump in.  Here's my $0.02, and then some:

While I love ambiguity in movies for the reason Diana and Jake touched on at the Aero screening (I'm not one of those people who has to have a reason for everything - I think life is random and there often is no reason why horrible things happen, but I agree that's hard for a lot of people to take), it's quite clear to me that Jack was murdered. I really believe that the scene in the bar early on where Jack tries to pick up Jimbo the rodeo clown, then Jimbo goes and says something to his buddies at the pool table about him and they all turn to look at him ominously is intended to be foreshadowing of that murder. That was not in the short story. And the first time I saw the movie, I thought right then, "Oh, no. Jack's gonna get himself into trouble later, isn't he?" When I saw the lamb slaughtered by coyotes later on after they first consummate their passion, I knew it for sure. That also was not in the short story.

In the short story, Ennis imagines Jack's murder while talking with Lureen on the phone, and then later, when he's at the Twist house in Lightning Flat, as soon as John Twist says that bit about "...and then this spring, he's gonna bring some other fella up here, some rancher neighbor a his," the narrative says, "So Ennis knew it was the tire iron."

I also think that if Jack really just died accidentally, the movie is not on the level of a Greek or Shakespearean tragedy like I'm convinced the screenwriters and Ang Lee want it to be. The real tragedy is that the very thing Ennis most feared would happen if they were open about their love happened anyway, or maybe even BECAUSE he was too afraid to be open about it. That's Romeo and Juliet. If it's just an accident, it's Love Story or Brian's Song or (gag) Titanic. And Romeo and Juliet was what they were going for. I absolutely believe that.
No more beans!

vkm91941

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 04:41:20 pm »
I agree Barb and would even go so far as to say that Jack's death is almost in someways perceptitate by Ennis, a sort of self fulling prophecy of sorts.  Where if Ennis had not been so homophobic and more open to he and Jack getting a place together or moving up to Lightening Flat...Jack never would have strayed into the arms of some one else or made the  foolish mistakes that ultimately led to his murder just as Ennis imagined.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 06:39:45 pm »
I'm with RouxB and littleguitar, which is to say I'm agnostic. I don't think the mystery has a "real" answer. I think it's meant to remain for the viewer forever ambiguous, because that's how it is for Ennis, and that way we can share his pain of uncertainty, which must be awful. Not knowing the fate of a loved one can often be worse, I've been told by people whose family members went missing, than knowing the worst.

Also, to me the movie focuses less on the threat of society's actual intolerance, real though that is, than it does on the effect that intolerance has on an individual: Ennis. A gay bashing would imply that Ennis's fears of living with Jack were at least somewhat sensible and well-founded. But to me, it's sadder, more subtle and more profound to think that his society- and dad-induced fear and shame (which might inspire a faulty understanding of Jack's death) was the biggest obstacle to his own happiness. However, it's all left open to interpretation -- and you all are right that Jack's Randall fling and well-established openness are strong arguments the other way -- which is another reason I don't think we're supposed to know for sure what happened to Jack.

latjoreme,

While I'm not abandonning my long-held faith in the tire iron, please accept my compliments for making a very persuasive case. And I will agree with you: There really is no answer. Annie Proulx and Ang Lee left it deliberately ambiguous.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2006, 06:43:52 pm »
I just wrote this over at the IMDb board.  Silly me, still trying to slay the trolls, I know, but the good guys got to discussing this very topic and of course I *had* to jump in.  Here's my $0.02, and then some:

While I love ambiguity in movies for the reason Diana and Jake touched on at the Aero screening (I'm not one of those people who has to have a reason for everything - I think life is random and there often is no reason why horrible things happen, but I agree that's hard for a lot of people to take), it's quite clear to me that Jack was murdered. I really believe that the scene in the bar early on where Jack tries to pick up Jimbo the rodeo clown, then Jimbo goes and says something to his buddies at the pool table about him and they all turn to look at him ominously is intended to be foreshadowing of that murder. That was not in the short story. And the first time I saw the movie, I thought right then, "Oh, no. Jack's gonna get himself into trouble later, isn't he?" When I saw the lamb slaughtered by coyotes later on after they first consummate their passion, I knew it for sure. That also was not in the short story.

In the short story, Ennis imagines Jack's murder while talking with Lureen on the phone, and then later, when he's at the Twist house in Lightning Flat, as soon as John Twist says that bit about "...and then this spring, he's gonna bring some other fella up here, some rancher neighbor a his," the narrative says, "So Ennis knew it was the tire iron."

I also think that if Jack really just died accidentally, the movie is not on the level of a Greek or Shakespearean tragedy like I'm convinced the screenwriters and Ang Lee want it to be. The real tragedy is that the very thing Ennis most feared would happen if they were open about their love happened anyway, or maybe even BECAUSE he was too afraid to be open about it. That's Romeo and Juliet. If it's just an accident, it's Love Story or Brian's Song or (gag) Titanic. And Romeo and Juliet was what they were going for. I absolutely believe that.

Oooh, Barb, just had to say I love the comparison to Shakespearean tragedy! Just the sort of thing I was groping for in writing about the "mythic" character of the story.

Ahh, this thread takes me back to the good old days on the old Tremblay homestead, before the Troll Uprising. I guess it also answers the question as to the effect of the DVD release: It's reinvigorating us!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2006, 06:58:19 pm »
Oh god, I try to stay away from this subject. It's like wondering what happened at the end of AMerican Beauty. Was he killed by the marine, by his wife or someone else.  I finally just let it go... 

Was this film at all influenced by Titanic? I know, how dare you. The character in there dies a random death for lack of a better word choice. He's not hunted down and killed by ROse's former fiancee now is he... 

I suppose the point is that Ennis squandered his opportunity...

I posted this on the other board.  Jack was drinking alot, per Lureen. Had he been drinking while changing the flat?  IF so carelessness.  He coulnd't handle a can opener, remember that. Not very mechanically inclined.   Of course, if he had been drinking, he could have said the wrong thing, or done something reckless.

Personally, I think his increased drinking was a sign that he had given up on life. The last encounter is different from the book. I think in the film, there is a snap. Jack realizes his dreams of being with Ennis have come to naught. He begins a downward spiral. A death wish for lack of a better word choice. He has nothing to live for, I suppose.   

Jake G said his character died when he realized that he couldn't be with ENnis. Was that what Jake was getting it?  Jack Twist self-destructed after their last encounter at the lake.

Of course, I could be in denial, not wanting to wish the worse on Jack Twist. There was enough pathos and sadness in this story that it's almost overwhelming. Actually,  I think Romeo and Juliet had a better fate. At least they martyered themselves over love, after realizing they couldnt' be together in this world.  Ennis is just left to broad on... a living death so to speak, thinking everyday of how life could have been so different. 

I usually hate muddled ending, but I suppose in this case, it went along well with the storyline

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2006, 07:17:07 pm »
I agree, Vic.  So not only does he have the loss and the horror of the doing of it to deal with for the rest of his life, he has his own guilt at probably causing it.  And that's exactly what makes my heart ache *so* much for him in the end.  I can feel all of that pain, and it's just wrenching.  Hence the delayed reaction people have, I think, too.  Even if they don't consciously accept how Jack died, on a subconscious level they do.  Well, that's my story and I'm stickin' with it, anyway.  ;)
No more beans!

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 07:23:52 pm »

welp, Diana Osana herself said that she still goes back and forth on what she actually thinks happened to Jack. I'm sure we'll all oscilate just as much.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 07:38:18 pm »
Barb, I was waiting for your reply! After seeing your post on TOB, I was aching for the Shakespeare/classical tragedy reference to pop up here. Like I said on the OB, the tire iron would definitely be the type of ending worthy of a great tragedy.

I always believed in tire iron version, almost even in the story, but kept telling myself it's an ambiguous issue, subject to interpretation, because so many people here, whom I trust intellectually argued for the tire accident, and because I forgot that, in great literature as in great films, things are not bluntly stated, but suggested and implied.  

I think Rontrigger said something on TOB that finally cleared my position on this issue.

Rontrigger: I once posted this on a thread dealing with this "Accident/Murder War" that ended up with hundreds of posts: I know full well that the accident is the less likely of the two scenarios--murder is more likely. But I am so emotionally caught up in these characters that I want desperately to believe that Jack was taken away suddenly and never knew what happened.

I realized that was the only reason why I would consider the accident as a possibility - too hard to believe that Jack had to endure all that hate and brutality on top of the physical pain before his death. It's a much uglier death than one bears to imagine, I think. The problem is, that's a subjective way of looking at things - it didn't happen, because I can't handle the truth (couldn't think of a better phrase, sorry.).

So, I'm firmly in the tire iron group... But, not trying to convince anyone to change their mind.  :)

"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 07:53:50 pm »
I know.  I can't handle it, either.  The truth really is unbearable. 

I think realizing that truth from Ennis' point of view in the end is what made weep so much, I thought I'd asphyxiate from it during the Lightning Flat scenes the second and third times I saw Brokeback in the theater.  And it's what made me start sobbing in the midst of singing "...And when no hope was left in sight on that starry, starry night, you took your life as lovers often do" to my son the night after the day I saw it for the first time.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 08:04:57 pm »
Still ambiguous.

Whether Jack died by tire iron or drowning (tire rim didn't kill him) doesn't lessen the idea of the tragedy.  The Argonautica was a Greek tragedy.  How Jason died at the end was mundane.  He was crying in the shade of his old rotted boat and it fell on him and killed him.

The story is STILL tragic regardless and so is BBM.

The last line of the short story shows that even Ennis has his doubts.

There was some space between what he knew and what he tried to believe...

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 09:21:21 pm »
OK, Del, you're gonna hate me for this one, but I had to do it, not to argument my tire iron theory, but because too many times I see these two literary forms mixed up in people's arguments. The italicized parts are from Wikipedia, my own Encyclopedia and Able Media :

Tragedy: form of drama in which a noble hero (the protagonist) meets a fate inherent in the drama's action.  
Drama: a composition presenting a story in dialogue, to be performed by actors; a play.

Or:

Greek tragedy - a literary composition written to be performed by actors in which a central character called a tragic protagonist or hero suffers some serious misfortune which is not accidental and therefore meaningless, but is significant in that the misfortune is logically connected with the hero's actions. Tragedy stresses the vulnerability of human beings whose suffering is brought on by a combination of human and divine actions, but is generally undeserved with regard to its harshness. This genre, however, is not totally pessimistic in its outlook. Although many tragedies end in misery for the characters, there are also tragedies in which a satisfactory solution of the tragic situation is attained.

Tragedies are plays that have a common theme: humans dearing to defy the gods, fate, or societal order, and being punished for that, by paying with their own lives or losing those dearest to them. The punishment is usually administered in a symbolic or very dramatic fashion - suicide, violent death, etc.

"Argonautica" is an adventure, or epic poem, not a tragedy, even if it has its gory and tragic components. It's a collection of several adventures, with one (in this case) or more central characters at its core, like the Odyssey and the Iliad.

An epic is a long poem which tells a story involving gods, heroes and heroic exploits. Since the epic is by its very nature lengthy, it tends to be rather loosely organized. Not every episode is absolutely necessary to the main story and digressions are not uncommon. You will notice how different in this regard is the genre of drama, in which every episode tends to be essential to the plot and digressions are inappropriate.

*running for cover*

« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 09:25:54 pm by monimm18 »
"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 09:38:23 pm »
OK, Del, you're gonna hate me for this one, but I had to do it, not to argument my tire iron theory, but because too many times I see these two literary forms mixed up in people's arguments. The italicized parts are from Wikipedia, my own Encyclopedia and Able Media :

Tragedy: form of drama in which a noble hero (the protagonist) meets a fate inherent in the drama's action. 
Drama: a composition presenting a story in dialogue, to be performed by actors; a play.

Or:

Greek tragedy - a literary composition written to be performed by actors in which a central character called a tragic protagonist or hero suffers some serious misfortune which is not accidental and therefore meaningless, but is significant in that the misfortune is logically connected with the hero's actions. Tragedy stresses the vulnerability of human beings whose suffering is brought on by a combination of human and divine actions, but is generally undeserved with regard to its harshness. This genre, however, is not totally pessimistic in its outlook. Although many tragedies end in misery for the characters, there are also tragedies in which a satisfactory solution of the tragic situation is attained.

Tragedies are plays that have a common theme: humans dearing to defy the gods, fate, or societal order, and being punished for that, by paying with their own lives or losing those dearest to them. The punishment is usually administered in a symbolic or very dramatic fashion - suicide, violent death, etc.

"Argonautica" is an adventure, or epic poem, not a tragedy, even if it has its gory and tragic components. It's a collection of several adventures, with one (in this case) or more central characters at its core, like the Odyssey and the Iliad.

An epic is a long poem which tells a story involving gods, heroes and heroic exploits. Since the epic is by its very nature lengthy, it tends to be rather loosely organized. Not every episode is absolutely necessary to the main story and digressions are not uncommon. You will notice how different in this regard is the genre of drama, in which every episode tends to be essential to the plot and digressions are inappropriate.

*running for cover*

Not at all, mon;D   I stand corrected.  However, I will dispute that dropping any classic references, the Argonautica is not a tragedy.  It is certainly not a happy-ending type of story/poem/adventure tale or slice-of-life adventure, so taken in that vein, the tale of Jason and Medea and his family is a tragedy.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2006, 09:41:13 pm »
I don't see why you feel the need to run for cover. This part, at least, I think certainly shows how BBM fits the definition of a tragedy:

Ennis and Jack defied their societal order. Jack lost his life, Ennis lost the one dearest to him (Jack). Jack's death is violent.

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2006, 10:04:56 pm »
Thanks, Jeff  :)

I forgot to mention another way punishment is administered in a classical tragedy: death by murder - execution style; which is what I consider Jack's death to be.

This is how I se it:

Ennis defied Fate - he was given Jack as his true soulmate and he refused to accept him. For that, Fate took her gift back.

Jack defied societal norms, indeed. He failed to fully hide his true nature, which was so utterly unacceptable, that "society" punished him in the cruelest way.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 10:14:31 pm by monimm18 »

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2006, 10:33:51 pm »
I don't see why you feel the need to run for cover. This part, at least, I think certainly shows how BBM fits the definition of a tragedy:

Ennis and Jack defied their societal order. Jack lost his life, Ennis lost the one dearest to him (Jack). Jack's death is violent.

Except for the 'it's a play' part. ;D  Yep BBM is a tragedy, no one is disputing that.  Mundane death - which was violent - or murder which was also violent.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2006, 11:40:51 pm »
Yes, but, but...

Crap.  Here's what it comes down to for me:  Argonautica and Brokeback Mountain are both tragic in the irony of their conclusions.  The irony in the former is that Jason was killed by the very thing that he so loved.  The irony in Brokeback Mountain is that Jack was killed by the very thing that he so loved - that thing being Ennis.  Ennis' refusal to build a life around Jack is what killed him.  One way or another, it did.  Whether that way was by accident or by murder is immaterial.  Holy Hell - I'm just having this revelation now as I type...  I still think the film aims to lean towards its not being an accident - that just follows the whole arc of the story - Ennis' admission to Jack that his father essentially took part in a hate crime and Jack's realization that that moment shapes who Ennis is - then Jack dies by hate crime.  But I do *finally* see that either way, the level of tragedy is the same.

Wow.  Annie Proulx and Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry and Ang Lee are even bigger mental giants than I had already given them credit for.  Wow.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 11:43:02 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2006, 12:08:11 am »
I'm in the " it's ambiguous " camp.

And as someone upthread mentioned, I don't think it lessens the tragedy of Ennis' life if Jack did die randomly.
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2006, 12:19:27 am »
I know.  I can't handle it, either.  The truth really is unbearable. 

I think realizing that truth from Ennis' point of view in the end is what made weep so much, I thought I'd asphyxiate from it during the Lightning Flat scenes the second and third times I saw Brokeback in the theater.  And it's what made me start sobbing in the midst of singing "...And when no hope was left in sight on that starry, starry night, you took your life as lovers often do" to my son the night after the day I saw it for the first time.
Ohhhhh that song is another doozy, and no one sings it like Don McLean.  But I know what you mean about finding the 'real answer' of Jack's death to be too much.  For me, it's a reminder of how some gay people can still pay with their lives for being who they are.  40 years after they first met, it still happens.

Sorry to be a downer....I hate dwelling on that aspect of the movie.

Ruffalo
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2006, 12:35:16 am »
Greek tragedy - a literary composition written to be performed by actors in which a central character called a tragic protagonist or hero suffers some serious misfortune which is not accidental and therefore meaningless, but is significant in that the misfortune is logically connected with the hero's actions. Tragedy stresses the vulnerability of human beings whose suffering is brought on by a combination of human and divine actions, but is generally undeserved with regard to its harshness.

OK, how about this? Maybe your interpretation has to do with whether as a viewer you're Enniscentric or Jackcentric.

If Ennis is the tragic hero, then it's HIS tragic flaw -- his refusal to be true to himself and Jack -- that leads to his tragic fate. That is having to endure the love of his life dying (which could be one way or another; the uncertainty only adds to his suffering), and accept the knowledge that he missed his one chance to be happy, that it's largely his own fault -- there's that logical connection with the hero's actions -- and that he will be grieving for the rest of his life (a fate  undeserved with regard to its harshness, if you ask me).

If Jack is the tragic hero, then HIS tragic flaw is his openness and hope and optimism and willingness to take risks. I know, doesn't sound like much of a flaw, but in a society as intolerant as theirs, it becomes one. That interpretation supports the tire-iron conclusion, because it's logically connected to the hero's actions, whereas a roadside accident is not. That his suffering is of undeserved harshness, in that case, goes without saying.

Offline montferrat

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "hunh?!"
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2006, 01:16:43 am »
Katherine, I have always known I was "Enniscentric", which does NOT mean I don't love Jack!
However, yes, I totally agree that if you view this as Ennis' story, then one doesn't need for the tire-iron scenario to be the "real" cause of death.

It has always been my view that Jack's death is ambiguous and that Ennis is the main protagonist of this story.

Again, you can't have Ennis without Jack, I LOVE jack. I Want  Jack's babies.  But, at the end of the day, I'm Enniscentric.

:)
"hunh?!" ~ Ennis Del Mar

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2006, 01:32:52 am »
Mmmmmmm.  I do so love the idea of the fatal flaw.  Because we all possess (at least) one, do we not?  Another of my favorite movies (Quiz Show) explored Vanity as being the one.  As do some of my favorite novels, like Lord Jim, Return of the Native, A Tale of Two Cities, and Moby Dick.

Pick a habit - we got plenty to go around.

For me, Ennis' fatal flaw is fear.

Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2006, 01:40:36 am »
[quote author]Ohhhhh that song is another doozy, and no one sings it like Don McLean.  But I know what you mean about finding the 'real answer' of Jack's death to be too much.  For me, it's a reminder of how some gay people can still pay with their lives for being who they are.  40 years after they first met, it still happens.

Sorry to be a downer....I hate dwelling on that aspect of the movie.[/quote]

I know what you mean.  I do, too.  And yet, that's the first and foremost thing this movie taught me - how monumentally difficult it must be for gay men in our stupid society.  No, it didn't beat me over the head with its message like, ahem, *some* movies.  It gave me credit for being intelligent enough to come to that conclusion on my own.
No more beans!

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2006, 01:41:03 am »
Greek tragedy - a literary composition written to be performed by actors in which a central character called a tragic protagonist or hero suffers some serious misfortune which is not accidental and therefore meaningless, but is significant in that the misfortune is logically connected with the hero's actions. Tragedy stresses the vulnerability of human beings whose suffering is brought on by a combination of human and divine actions, but is generally undeserved with regard to its harshness.

OK, how about this? Maybe your interpretation has to do with whether as a viewer you're Enniscentric or Jackcentric.

If Ennis is the tragic hero, then it's HIS tragic flaw -- his refusal to be true to himself and Jack -- that leads to his tragic fate. That is having to endure the love of his life dying (which could be one way or another; the uncertainty only adds to his suffering), and accept the knowledge that he missed his one chance to be happy, that it's largely his own fault -- there's that logical connection with the hero's actions -- and that he will be grieving for the rest of his life (a fate  undeserved with regard to its harshness, if you ask me).

If Jack is the tragic hero, then HIS tragic flaw is his openness and hope and optimism and willingness to take risks. I know, doesn't sound like much of a flaw, but in a society as intolerant as theirs, it becomes one. That interpretation supports the tire-iron conclusion, because it's logically connected to the hero's actions, whereas a roadside accident is not. That his suffering is of undeserved harshness, in that case, goes without saying.

Following the Greek/classical tragedy model, I think Jack's death could not be a mundane accident, no matter if we look at it from an Ennis-centric or a Jack-centric perspective.

Lemme esplain:

I see Ennis as the central character of the story, with Jack just slightly off center. So, from this perspective, I'm gonna try to put it the way I think a 3000 years old tragedy would (I must say I feel literarily arrogant by doing this): Ennis is offered by Fate or Aphrodite, or some other god in a playful mood, Jack, as his soulmate. He falls in love with him, but does not honor his love and the deity by accepting the gift openly, from fear of retaliation from his fellow mortals. So, he puts his fears for himself and his loved one above the fear of offending a divine creature. (Or, in a more contemporary concept he puts Fear above Love.) Angered and offended by his ungratefulness, the deity punishes Ennis by taking the gift away. But, in Greek tragedies, gods are cruelly vindictive creatures, and the punishments they give are always much worse than the offense, and chosen to show the hero the wrongdoing that lead to the punishment. So, the manner in which Jack is taken away has to carry a meaning and a lesson for Ennis - therefore Jack dies in the exact manner that Ennis was trying to avoid by his refusal to accept him openly.  Ennis is left to live with the anguish and the guilt that his own actions led to what he wanted to avoid -  perfect revenge for cruel, irony-loving gods.

If Jack were the tragic hero at the center of the story, then I think his "offense" would be defying society and its rigid order, by failing to hide his true nature. Thus, his punishment would come from society - represented by Killer Mechanic, Grease Monkey, and Assailant...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2006, 10:29:08 am »
Damn! Monnim, Barb, these posts are so good, so thoughtful, so interesting! And I just got a rush job I have to concentrate on here at work!

Damn!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2006, 12:45:46 pm »
Damn! Monnim, Barb, these posts are so good, so thoughtful, so interesting! And I just got a rush job I have to concentrate on here at work!

Thanks, Jeff.  And Monnim, I like the idea of Ennis being offered a beautiful gift by Fate, squandering that gift, and Fate taking it back.  And again it makes me think that Della is right - exactly *how* Fate took back that gift is immaterial in terms of the level of tragedy we see here.  I also see this, still, as being very much like Argonautica - that the hero (and I definitely see Jack as the hero, here) is killed by the thing that he loves in the end.  Ennis essentially caused Jack's death by not accepting him fully like he should have.  Had he gone with Jack to Lightning Flat, it's at least for certain that Jack would not have been out on the roadside where he was when he ultimately was killed.  And had they built that cabin at John Twist's ranch, we can't be certain that they wouldn't have been the victims of a hate crime up there eventually.  But they would have at least had some happy years.

What strikes me now, and maybe always has, about Ennis' visit to the Twist house is that when John Twist first starts that whole "Jack use ta say, 'Ennis Del Mar, one day he's going come up here and we're gonna whip this ranch into shape...," that's when Ennis *first* realizes how greatly he was loved - Jack was willing to come out to his parents to have him up there with him.  I mean, how huge is that?  We see his astonishment (and pleasure and sadness all at the same time) in that realization.  Then, of course, John goes on to say, "Then this spring, he's gonna bring some other fella up here..."  Now Ennis must have doubted that love.  His finding of the shirts is really what tells him that that first realization was right - even though Jack had tried to move on, it was only Ennis that he loved.

Sorry, bit of a tangent, there.  But that really struck me again in watching it last night.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2006, 01:29:23 pm »
Reading these posts at lunch, I am mentally and figuratively jumping up and down with excitement over this thread. I wish we could all be together for a round-table discussion about this RIGHT NOW.

There is so much here I'd like to echo and comment on that I can't possibly keep it all in my brain. So Jack is "killed" by Ennis's refusal to build a life with him. That's a powerful and idea--so maybe that look in Jack's eyes as he watches Ennis drive away after their confrontation is, in fact, Jack "dying" before our eyes. Reminds me of Annie Proulx's comment that in her original story, Ennis and Jack's fates are sealed at their reunion in the motel, that Jack's physical death was inevitable from that point on.

I guess I've always seen Ennis as the "hero" here because he's the one who survives, at least physically, and I've also seen him as being redeemed by Jack's death, even if we only see it in a small way, his willing to be there for Alma, Jr., when she needs/wants him, at the end. I guess I should check that "Archive" thread to see whether my old "Allegory" thread was saved.

Of course, this thread has it's own deeper meaning: We are settled in here, the curtains are up, the pictures are on the wall, we've put the Troll Uprising at IMDB behind us, we've moved on, and we have been reinvigorated.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2006, 02:28:50 pm »
Yes, Jeff.  It's good to be settled in and up for some serious talkin'.  Would you like some Bailey's in your coffee at our round table, or is it still too early where you are?

Like Jake said at the Aero screening, as our lovely world-travelers here who were so lucky to be there reported, Jack really died the moment he knew he couldn't be with Ennis.  To me, Jack dies a little bit every time they say good-bye and/or Ennis disappoints him.  That's what I mean when I say it wasn't until my second viewing that I really "saw" Jack.  What I saw was his heart breaking, a little piece at a time.  First, that whole last day on Brokeback in several instances - after offering Ennis the loan and getting cruelly rebuffed, after finding Ennis sitting alone on the hill, after the sucker punch, when they're riding down, that way he spits so bitterly and Ennis makes careful note of it, then the way he shows Ennis he already has a cigarette when he offers his after Aguirre's brow-beating (that's starting to become my favorite wordless moment - at least for today).  Next, of course the next year when he finds Ennis hasn't been back (and to add insult to injury, that Aguirre knows about them).  Then in the motel, when he says, "What about you?" and only gets a "Me, I... dunno..." - Jack closes his eyes just a little more tightly in pain, as if to hold back tears - another moment that's fastly approaching being my all-time favorite.  Then when he basically proposes to Ennis at the campsite and gets turned down.  Then finds out why Ennis can't do it.  As you can see, I can go on and on.  What Jake does throughout that's so extraordinary, especially considering it wasn't filmed chronologically, is shows us a person from whom a little piece is falling away every time we see him, until at the end, on the lake, what's left in his eyes is nothing but emptiness - it's as if all the life in them has slowly leaked out over time.  The stark contrast between the soulfulness of his eyes watching Ennis ride away in the flashback and the emptiness in them in real time is all the more startling because we've been watching it slowly transpire, as it does in real life, throughout the course of the movie.

You know what - as beautiful as the writing and photography and direction and music and all of it is, it is Heath and Jake themselves, and only they, who made Ennis and Jack so real for me.  I swear they'll be with me all the days of my life just as if they are people I've actually known intimately.  Really, they are.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2006, 03:35:55 pm »
Barb,

That was all so beautifully put. And so much that I never, in my eight viewings, noticed, like Jake/Jack closing his eyes in the motel! I don't mean to sound flip, but I almost feel I should print out your last post and have it in front of me when I watch the DVD for the first time tonight.

Yes, you are absolutely right, in the end it does come down to Heath and Jake.

As for the Bailey's in the coffee, someone once said, Somewhere the sun is always over the yardarm! :)

Jeff

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2006, 04:01:55 pm »
Barb,

That was all so beautifully put. And so much that I never, in my eight viewings, noticed, like Jake/Jack closing his eyes in the motel! I don't mean to sound flip, but I almost feel I should print out your last post and have it in front of me when I watch the DVD for the first time tonight.

Yes, you are absolutely right, in the end it does come down to Heath and Jake.

As for the Bailey's in the coffee, someone once said, Somewhere the sun is always over the yardarm! :)

Aw, thanks.   :-*

Here's something else I noticed on my eighth viewing (overall - third one on DVD) last night.  Someone had mentioned a while back on the IMDb board that Jack always wears solid shirts and Ennis always plaid or patterned ones, and that he or she took this to be a symbol of Jack's security in his own sexuality vs. Ennis' lack thereof.  I read that after I'd seen it a few times and watched for it the next and found it was true.  And I continued to think that over the next few screenings.

BUT, last night I'm watching it, and I realize for the first time that when Jack goes back to Aguirre's trailer the next year, HE IS WEARING A PLAID SHIRT.  A mostly solid one, but definitely plaid.  Kind of green and grey and blue.  Over it, he's wearing a solid blood-red sweater and then his coat on top.  It probably sounds looney, but I was *floored*.  How freakin' great is a movie when you can watch it seven times, two in the comfort of your own home and with headphones so as to hear every sound and have no distractions and think you've caught it all, then to find that no, you have not.  Not by a long shot.

Back to the shirt - it makes perfect sense that this would be the one time Jack would feel vulnerable about his sexuality.  Does he sense Aguirre might know?  Or is it just that he's taking a huge risk emotionally and physically in going there essentially hoping to find Ennis again?

It just never ceases to amaze me the careful, exquisite thought that has gone into every article of clothing, every set, every prop.  Man, these people are geniuses.

And as for the sun and the yardarm, in that case, how about a martini?  Or will you stick with the whiskey?
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2006, 04:10:06 pm »
Well, it really was beautifully put.

Headphones! Damn! Why didn't I think of that! What a great idea!

Thanks, I'll stick with whiskey (scotch, to be precise).  :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2006, 04:16:02 pm »
Well, it really was beautifully put.

Headphones! Damn! Why didn't I think of that! What a great idea!

Thanks, I'll stick with whiskey (scotch, to be precise).  :)

Ah.  An acquired taste I've never acquired.  Vodka is my poison.  I like Absolut best, but in a pinch, Smirnoff works just as effectively.  I like an Absolut martini straight up with a twist.  Or a Twist.  Now *that* would be one hell of a drink.

Enjoy it tonight.  Richly.  Of course no one needs to tell you that.

I'll leave you with my favorite Dorothy Parker quote:

I like a good martini - one or two at most.
After three, I'm under the table
After four, I'm under my host.
No more beans!

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2006, 05:20:00 pm »
Barb,
Will you marry me?

Jeff, will you be my best man?

After Dorothy Parker, and re a comment you made above, it seems right to quote Cole Porter:

"Every time we say goodbye
I die a little..."

My drink: Gin.  Oh baby, gin in the garden in spring.  It's because of experiences of youth that my heart goes pitapat with gin in the garden in spring.  But so be it.  It's gettin to be gin (and tonic) time again.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2006, 05:45:24 pm »
I've GOT to go back to the cult thread, which Andrew has lovingly archived, and look at the division between the 'tire-ironists' and .   Like the division between the Junians and Septemberists.

Celeste, I just saw your question as I was skimming (and I do mean skimming) this already lengthy thread.  :o

Way back in olden days, JLScheib (now JeffWrangler) described the two factions as the Tire-Ironites and the Accidentalists.  Later, starboardlight suggested referring to them as the Ironites and the Rimmists.  ;D

At any rate, to avoid internecine war, I counsel tolerance.  Like the dialogue in the Second Tent Scene, it remains a key chapter in the Book of Sacred Mysteries.  :angel:
Ich bin ein Brokie...

vkm91941

« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2006, 06:09:21 pm »
I've GOT to go back to the cult thread, which Andrew has lovingly archived, and look at the division between the 'tire-ironists' and .   Like the division between the Junians and Septemberists.

Celeste, I just saw your question as I was skimming (and I do mean skimming) this already lengthy thread.  :o

Way back in olden days, JLScheib (now JeffWrangler) described the two factions as the Tire-Ironites and the Accidentalists.  Later, starboardlight suggested referring to them as the Ironites and the Rimmists.  ;D

At any rate, to avoid internecine war, I counsel tolerance.  Like the dialogue in the Second Tent Scene, it remains a key chapter in the Book of Sacred Mysteries.  :angel:

Thank you O Meryl the Wise, Ossana in the highest to the High Priestess of Tremblayana and keeper of the Sacred Collective

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2006, 06:26:14 pm »
Barb,
Will you marry me?

After Dorothy Parker, and re a comment you made above, it seems right to quote Cole Porter:

I die a little..."

My drink: Gin.  Oh baby, gin in the garden in spring.  It's because of experiences of youth that my heart goes pitapat with gin in the garden in spring.  But so be it.  It's gettin to be gin (and tonic) time again.

Why, yes, I will marry you, dearest Sarah.  And gin in the garden (is that like tea in the Sahara) in spring with you sounds lovely.  I think I could even forego my Absolut martinis for a couple of G&Ts there.

Love that line in that song, too, by the way.

How about this one?  Not Cole Porter, but especially wonderful when sung by Linda Ronstadt:

What's new?
How is the world treating you?
You haven't changed a bit
Handsome as ever, I must admit.

What's new?
How did that romance come through?
We haven't met since then
Gee but it's nice to see you again.

What's new?
Probably I'm boring you
But seeing you is grand
And you were sweet to offer your hand
I understand.

Adieu.
Pardon my asking what's new
Of course you couldn't know
I haven't changed
I still love you so.

No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2006, 06:58:47 pm »
Jack was willing to come out to his parents to have him up there with him.  I mean, how huge is that?

Hiya ednb,

Do we know for a fact that Jack came out to his parents for that reason?  I kinda got the hint that Jack had always been left of center since his childhood as far as his parents were concerned - the peeing incident and the picture of the movie star in his room - as per the short story.  That he got flak from his old man for that very reason.

"Can't please my old man, no way."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2006, 07:25:57 pm »
Barb,
Will you marry me?

I die a little..."

Why, sure, Sarah, I'd be happy to be your best man!

BTW, though I have become committed to scotch (because it doesn't give me the headache that gin does, when I drink it in the evening), I still feel that one of life's under-appreciated pleasures is a nice gin and tonic (with lime) on a warm late-summer afternoon.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2006, 07:30:47 pm »
Way back in olden days, JLScheib (now JeffWrangler) described the two factions as the Tire-Ironites and the Accidentalists.  Later, starboardlight suggested referring to them as the Ironites and the Rimmists. 

Uh, Meryl,

I must have missed this. That "cult" thread got really long. No offense to Starboardlight, but I would counsel against adopting the term "Rimmists." In certain circles that term might carry with it the implication of a certain sexual practice, the nature of which I will not elaborate on in the presence of ladies.

And I ain't jokin'.   ;)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2006, 07:38:26 pm »
What are the agnostics called? Uh, agnostics?

Squarely in the middle...

Heathen

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2006, 08:00:47 pm »
No offense to Starboardlight, but I would counsel against adopting the term "Rimmists." In certain circles that term might carry with it the implication of a certain sexual practice, the nature of which I will not elaborate on in the presence of ladies.

And I ain't jokin'.   ;)

:D  Yeah, that was the first thing that popped in my head as well, but I didn't say nuthin'.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2006, 09:06:57 pm »
I think it's important that this situation remain ambiguous to the viewer to a certain extent.  I also think it's important that we see this in Ennis's imagination. The ambiguity that runs throughout the film on many different topics is part of what keeps the film intriguing.  But, I do think it's expected that we have a hunch, even a strong hunch, that Jack really was murdered.  The story about the tire exploding is just too preposterous (in my opinion).  It sounds like a cover story to me.

I don't think this idea that it was murder is ambiguous to Ennis.  His fear of just this situation is so intense (from the time he was a child) that I'm sure the idea that Jack was killed was overwhelmingto him.  The analogy with the sheep is very good to point out.  Yes, in the course of the film we see only the sheep and the two gay men killed in a violent and bloody way by predators.  And, we see all three of these instances of violence through Ennis (he finds the sheep and we only know of Earl's murder through Ennis's memory just like we see Jack's murder in his imagination).

Jack's death is his worst fear coming true (at least in his head).  And his conviction that it was murder through bashing adds to his sense of guilt and regret in the end.  All of the discretion that Ennis forced upon their relationship (insisting that they live apart, etc.) was, from Ennis's perspective, meant to protect them from just this kind of violence.  And, not only did this fail to protect them (Jack from the violence and Ennis from his grief) the discretion and circumspection caused them to lose *all that time* that they could have spent enjoying being together.  They could have had 20 years of happiness together.  This is a compounded tragedy.

So, yes, Ennis's internalized fear of violence against gay people has deeply impacted his and Jack's life.  So as usual, I agree with latjoreme's statement above-

>Also, to me the movie focuses less on the threat of society's actual intolerance, real though that is, than it does on the effect that intolerance has on an individual: Ennis<

ps.  I've just made my move over from the imdb boards (over there I'm "amandazehnder") and this is my first post at BetterMost.  Glad to be here!
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

vkm91941

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2006, 09:20:46 pm »
atz75 =amandazehnder..I know you!  Welcome to Chez Tremblay West@ bettermost...Hope you like it here.  It's like a little slice of heaven to some of us!   Thanks for sharing some serious insights into the subject of Jack's demise with us!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:22:32 pm by vkm91941 »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2006, 09:29:47 pm »
Awww!  Thanks for the nice welcome Victoria!  Yes, I'm certainly in heaven around here right now.  What a truly amazing board and community.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:34:41 pm by atz75 »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2006, 11:45:02 pm »
Hi Amanda! I'm so glad you're here! And as usual, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Except maybe the exploding tire rim being preposterous. I once saw a thing on TV indicating that this is an actual danger, the cause of numerous deaths each year! Scared me out of ever even attempting to change a flat. Still, I'll admit that Lureen does sound like she's reciting a rehearsed lie.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2006, 12:04:01 am »
Hey there Friend,
 :)
Well, I will always concede that it's important for the tire story to remain a possibility.  I do think it should remain unclear.  I probably shouldn't have used the word preposterous.  And, I certainly don't want to put forth my interpretation as the only one.  There are many ways to read the situation. 

The *way* that Lureen describes the accident has always sounded a bit forced to me.  It seems to have too many carefully described details and qualifying circumstances.  It sounds rehearsed.  But, keeping the accident idea on the table as a possible explanation of his death re-inforces the more important point that you made in your post earlier...  The crucial thing to Ennis's story is what's going on in his own head.  He immediately jumps to the conclusion about the murder scenario and it continues to reveal his inner angst.  Maybe Jack did die in an accident, but Ennis immediately calls to mind a scenario (*unspoken by Lureen*) that involves persecution and violence based on his on-going anxiety.

So happy to be here!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2006, 12:17:43 am »
I agree, Amanda.  Lureen's description of Jack's death definitely sounds rehearsed.  It's as if the arm jumps back on the broken record to that bit.  There's no emotion in it whatsoever, and I think the movie shows us in several little ways that she really did love Jack, so how can there be no emotion?  Unless it's acted.

Nice to know you, Amanda Del Mar, by the way.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2006, 12:32:22 am »
Lureen's description of Jack's death definitely sounds rehearsed.  It's as if the arm jumps back on the broken record to that bit.  There's no emotion in it whatsoever, and I think the movie shows us in several little ways that she really did love Jack, so how can there be no emotion?  Unless it's acted.

It is rehearsed.  Lureen's a widow who's had to repeat the same bizarre story so many times she has it down to a rote recitation.

When someone close to you dies, well-meaining friends and family always want to know 'what happened' even though everyone knows how painful it is to repeat the story.  :(  I didn't fault Lureen for her tone any more than I did my mother when my father died.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2006, 12:37:30 am »
No offense to Starboardlight, but I would counsel against adopting the term "Rimmists." In certain circles that term might carry with it the implication of a certain sexual practice, the nature of which I will not elaborate on in the presence of ladies.

I can't speak for certain for Starbie, but something tells me he knew exactly what he was doing when he suggested that eloquent term.   He is wise in the ways of iron-y (pun intended). ;)  ;D

Thank you O Meryl the Wise, Ossana in the highest to the High Priestess of Tremblayana and keeper of the Sacred Collective

We definitely have to revive the Cult soon and give Victoria some sort of sacred office so she can continue to hold forth like this.   ;D

Welcome,  Amanda.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2006, 12:49:37 am »
Nice to know you all too.  Thanks for the nice welcoming messages.  :)

Offline b_hynds

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2006, 02:36:55 am »

I agree with everything you said Victoria, except I think it was Ennis who imagining the murder not Lureen.
"I did once"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2006, 08:36:10 am »
Jack was willing to come out to his parents to have him up there with him.  I mean, how huge is that?

Hiya ednb,

Do we know for a fact that Jack came out to his parents for that reason?  I kinda got the hint that Jack had always been left of center since his childhood as far as his parents were concerned - the peeing incident and the picture of the movie star in his room - as per the short story.  That he got flak from his old man for that very reason.

"Can't please my old man, no way."

I hear ya.  I'm sure his parents knew all along.  And along with your line, I think when he says to Ennis in that same conversation, "Your folks run you off?" there's an implication that his did, and again for that very reason.

But Ennis realized at Lightning Flat how unafraid Jack was - of his father, of what people in town thought, of everything - something I don't think he'd realized before.

You're right - it isn't as huge as actually coming out to one's parents who seemingly don't suspect.  But it's still way bigger than what Ennis thought Jack meant when he said "What if you and me had a little cow and calf operation?  It'd be a sweet life."
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2006, 08:46:35 am »

I agree with everything you said Victoria, except I think it was Ennis who imagining the murder not Lureen.

Same here.  I'm firmly in that camp, too, though I've also come to think that the central core of the tragedy is more heavily weighted in that Ennis was the cause Jack's death than in how exactly it happened.  But I think that the imagining of it was definitely Ennis'.  I thought that even before I read the short story and saw that it says so.  It has to be - it follows the arc of his being shown what he was shown as a child and how that made him what he is.  And I agree, Vic, that that's exactly what happened - Jack took up with Randall, people found out, and some of them killed him for it.  In the story, this, to me is made clear by "So now he knew it was the tire iron."  As soon as John Twist alludes to Randall, he knows that's exactly what happened.  That's all Annie has to say, and we know, too.

Look at Willie Nelson's song, as well - "He never done no wrong, he never done no wrong.  A thousand miles from home, and he never harmed no one.  He was a friend of mine."  Sure, even that can be seen as ambiguous, but I think it implies that Jack was an innocent killed by ugly outside forces.

I do love the ambiguity, though.  That's one of the many splendored things of this movie.  I love that it doesn't tell me what to think and gives me credit for having the intelligence and heart to draw my own conclusions and to take from it what I need.  I've come to get just plain pissed off when a movie or television show manipulates me or tries to.  That's why I always loved Six Feet Under, too.  The stories and characters just unfolded like flowers for you - there was no knocking you over the head with who you were supposed to like and what you supposed to think was happening.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2006, 10:58:03 am »
Thread's gotten kinda long to review, so I apologize in advance for not giving proper credit where due on Friday's posts on the subject of whether Ennis or Jack is the real tragic figure/tragic hero, in the "classical" sense. In the wake of my first home viewing Friday night, I'm now seeing Jack as more tragic than I did before, and not just because he's the one who dies.

In the privacy of my living room Friday night, it was really borne into me that it is Jack who says, in the motel room, that ol' Brokeback got them good, it is Jack who sought out Ennis after four years, and it is Jack, in the final confrontation, who says that all they have is Brokeback Mountain, everything built on that. Then it struck me how it is Jack who "never grew up," never got past that summer on Brokeback.

I've always been impressed by Ennis's willingness to accept his adult responsibilities--his wife and children--despite his feelings for Jack, whereas Jack is the one who wants to run off and set up that little cow and calf operation, turning his back on his wife and child. Considering the changing nature of the economy in the West, that cow and calf operation probably wouldn't have succeeded anyway. Poor Jack. All he wanted was to play cowboy with Ennis. I gotta love him for that, but, in the end, it's kind of ... childish. I guess for me, that's how I understand Jack's flaw now. He's the boy who wouldn't grow up.

And that's not too uncommon in my fellow gay men.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2006, 11:30:30 am »
I've always been impressed by Ennis's willingness to accept his adult responsibilities--his wife and children--despite his feelings for Jack, whereas Jack is the one who wants to run off and set up that little cow and calf operation, turning his back on his wife and child. Considering the changing nature of the economy in the West, that cow and calf operation probably wouldn't have succeeded anyway. Poor Jack. All he wanted was to play cowboy with Ennis. I gotta love him for that, but, in the end, it's kind of ... childish. I guess for me, that's how I understand Jack's flaw now. He's the boy who wouldn't grow up.

And that's not too uncommon in my fellow gay men.

It's not too uncommon for ANY man, gay or straight.  I think you're being too harsh on Jack.  After all, Ennis accepted his adult responsibilities alright - in between quitting his jobs left and right so he could be with Jack.  Jack not only accepted his adult responsibilities, he took on - from what is implied - the bulk of the childcare.  The same of which cannot be said for Ennis.

Truth is, we don't know what kept Ennis to his 'family responsibilities'.  Fear does a good job of keeping someone toeing the line, so does guilt and so does repression.  It's to be respected that he stayed with his family, but hardly applauded as to the reasons why.

Ennis accepted his adult responsibilites - but only grudgingly.  It is implied in the movie and said outright in the short story that Ennis never does anything with his family.  He never goes out with his wife or takes the family on vacation.  He mopes around his apartment like a teen-ager in love in his parents home, bereft of his true love, the only one who understands him.

Jack and Lureen, on the other hand, do have a social life.  Seems they go out quite a bit.  Jack can't be with the one he loves, so he makes do, with prostitutes, with affairs, but in the meantime, he and the wife go out, he travels, takes primary care of Bobby.

Seems Jack is the more mature one, while Ennis is the one who can't quite let go of that first summer.  IMO.

And also, just because Jack was willing to give up Lureen doesn't mean he would have given up all rights to Bobby.  I think we can all agree that Jack loved his son.  The man was willing to travel thousands of miles at the drop of a hat for someone he loved - Ennis.  Why not for Bobby - on parental visits?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2006, 12:08:51 pm »
I'm completely with Dela on this one.  If anyone, it's Ennis who wouldn't grow up.  As I've said before, I think Jack was always a man, even when he was a boy.  He was always comfortable in his own skin and he was never satisfied with just accepting things the way they are.  He was the opposite of Ennis - his approach to life was that if you can't stand it, you gotta fix it.  It repeats itself over and over throughout the movie:

- Kicking the truck when he parks it at Aguirre's

- Glaring at Aguirre when he realizes he's punishing him for the high predator/weather loss that happened under his watch the previous summer

- Perhaps my favorite line in the whole movie because it so captures Jack's essence, "No more beans!"

- When he says to Ennis, "We got to do something about this food situation.  Maybe we oughtta shoot one a the sheep..." and then when Ennis says something to the effect of "We're just gonna have to make due with what we have, he says, "Well, I won't." (Another one that really captures his essence, IMO).

- The sheer rocks he has to go back to Aguirre's office the next summer looking for Ennis

- His conscious decision to woo Lureen for her money because he figures if he can't have what he wants and needs spiritually, at least he can better his life financially

I could go on and on, but I'll end it with the one I've said before that absolutely defines Jack:  "Tell ya what, I know where Brokeback Mountain is.  Jack thought he was too goddamned special to be buried in the family plot."  It's not what Jack thought - it's just the truth.

And Jack's speech about Brokeback Mountain being all they got - fucking all, BOY - is his telling Ennis that it's he who has never grown up, never been able to accept who he is and what he's got, and that because of that, that's the furthest they ever got.

No more beans!

Offline Flashframe777

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • autumn auteur
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2006, 12:23:19 pm »

WELCOME BACK HOME!
"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2006, 12:31:20 pm »
If anyone, it's Ennis who wouldn't grow up. ... And Jack's speech about Brokeback Mountain being all they got - fucking all, BOY - is his telling Ennis that it's he who has never grown up, never been able to accept who he is and what he's got, and that because of that, that's the furthest they ever got.

Then perhaps the movie could be seen as the story of Ennis growing up and becoming a man. Unfortunately, too late.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2006, 02:30:02 pm »
Del and Barb,

Gotta love both of you! You both always explain your cases so well and persuasively! I'm not, however, persuaded in this case. Nor do I love Jack the less. It just hurts all the more, now I see him in this light.

I think it's possible that what we have here might be a failure to agree on what it means to grow up and what it means to be a man. It might also be the old and perhaps irreconcilable conflict: what one person sees as being true to one's self, another person sees as being selfish. Perhaps it comes down to what has been said often about this story. Ennis and Jack were in an impossible position. There were no winners, and in the end everybody got hurt--Alma and Lureen as well as Ennis and Jack.

Granted, Ennis was a lousy husband. For that matter, I've never really understood why Jack stuck it out with him for that long. Wouldn't it have been more "grown up" of Jack to quit Ennis long before that final confrontation?

I'll grant the point that Jack does seem more willing to try to fix things than to stand them, but look at his suggested fix to the food situation: killing and eating one of the sheep they were getting paid to guard. I have to take my stand with Ennis on that one. Let's also not forget the first part of Ennis's famous phrase, "If you can't fix it." That doesn't mean, "don't try." We don't know whose idea it was to try hunting (maybe it was Ennis's?), we only know that Jack was a bad marksman and Ennis finally resolved the situation by shooting the elk.

(OT but I've always felt Jake was badly directed--yes, I said badly directed!--in the scene where Jack tries and fails to shoot the coyote. He isn't even trying to aim that rifle properly.)

I think the evidence is slim to call Jack his son's primary care giver, but that might also hinge on how the term is defined, though without doubt he does show admirable concern for his son's well-being. (Let's also not forget Ennis's concern that his little girls are being exposed to those slopbucket bikers, he suggests treating them to ice cream, and he promises to take them to the church picnic.)

We don't know whose idea it was to go to that charity dinner dance, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lureen dragged Jack there, more out of concern for social position in the community than from any desire for a social life. To me he doesn't look too happy about being there.

And running off to a hustler in Mexico just because he can't get laid by Ennis is the act of a spoiled, selfish brat. (Yes, I'm being very harsh here.) Running up to Wyoming unannounced just because he got word that Ennis's divorce had been finalized is not a very adult course of action. I feel for Jack that his sexual needs are apparently stronger than Ennis's, but I'm not therefore excusing his behavior in running off to Juarez.

I hate--I really do hate!--to disagree so substantially with both of you, but I'm afraid I have to. In my world view, Ennis is much the more adult of the two.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2006, 04:19:43 pm »
Well, disagree we do, my dear Jeff.  I don't love you any less for it.  But "a spoiled, selfish brat???"  I don't see it that way at all.  Jack craves a physical connection with other men.  He wants it above all with Ennis.  But repeatedly, Ennis can't or won't give it to him as often as he needs it.  Really, in all his years with Ennis, the time he picks up the hustler in Mexico is the first time (in the movie, anyway) that there is any evidence of him cheating on him.  And then, he's driven 14 hours, filled with anticipation and excitement that he may finally be able to start building a life with Ennis, only to be bitterly disappointed.

If anyone is selfish here, it is Ennis.  Jack is willing to divorce his wife the second after they reunite.  He realizes his marriage is a sham and he'd gladly get out - I suspect even if L.D. wasn't going to pay him off to do it and he'd have to go back to being a poor ranch hand.  And that would be the right thing to do.  It's Ennis who's not willing to divorce Alma right then and there even though he knows he doesn't love her, so he chooses to (attempt to) deceive her for years out of nothing other than fear of change and of people knowing the reason why if he left her.

And even after they divorce, he still can't get past his fear enough to make a go of it with Jack.

Don't get me wrong - I love Ennis.  My heart aches for him.  I want to rock him in my arms like a baby.  But Jack is special.  Jack is a revolutionary.  He lives and loves way beyond his time.  Look at how he defends Lureen at the Thanksgiving dinner.  That isn't just about finally letting L.D. know what he thinks of him - it's about being a united force with his wife in the disciplining of his son.  That's how it starts.  Even her mother smiles at him because she recognizes he's standing up for her when she tells Bobby to turn off the T.V. and eat.  That's what a man does.  If she were to ever confront him about his sexuality, the last thing he would do is hit her.  And it's the first thing Ennis goes to do when Alma confronts him about his.  That's not what a man does.

To me, Ennis starts out being a man in the beginning and devolves into a boy by the end.  Jack starts out being a boy and evolves into a man.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 04:24:35 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2006, 05:05:28 pm »
Sorry, but I can't buy the idea that Ennis devolves from a man to a boy while Jack grows up. Ennis doesn't change for 20 years--until he suffers the shock of losing Jack. After shutting out Alma, Jr., when she asks to come live with him, blaming his work, he does it again when she asks him to come to her wedding, again blaming his work. And then he does an about-face and agrees to come to the wedding. That's a sign of growth, not devolution. Maybe it's not a very big sign of growth, but I believe it is a sign of growth.

Ennis's reaction to any stressful situation is violence, from having to come down off the mountain to being outed by Alma (whom he grabs by the wrist and threatens to hit but does not hit). In my world that's not how a man behaves, but my world isn't Ennis's world, and his world isn't mine. Look at how he was raised, and when and where. Look at his father showing him the dead rancher. This is a cultural thing--a deplorable cultural thing, yes, but a cultural thing. In Ennis's world, a man is someone who can hit you harder and come out on top. (Even in my world, I have known people who do not respect you unless you can yell louder and hit harder than they can.)

And how did I get here from referencing Friday's post about classical tragedy and deciding for myself that Jack is more the classical tragic here than Ennis?  :)

Of course Jack is special. That's why it hurts so much today. I've come to understand his fatal flaw, and it's just like when you learn someone you love very much has feet of clay.

But that look on his face in the truck, driving away from Ennis's and after he wipes away the tear, reminds me of a child I once saw just before she threw a tantrum. I half expect Jack to stamp his foot because he didn't get his own way--Ennis did the responsible, adult thing, stayed with his daughters instead of dumping them to run off and screw Jack.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 05:14:48 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2006, 05:43:25 pm »
But that look on his face in the truck, driving away from Ennis's and after he wipes away the tear, reminds me of a child I once saw just before she threw a tantrum. I half expect Jack to stamp his foot because he didn't get his own way--Ennis did the responsible, adult thing, stayed with his daughters instead of dumping them to run off and screw Jack.

--------------------------------------

See, I disagree here.  I look at the way Jack wipes the tear as being his just not wanting to cry, and being angry with himself for feeling like it.  And Ennis' sending him away is not about being responsible to the girls.  He could have said, "Listen, I have the girls this weekend and I haven't seen them for a month.  I want to be with you, but I just can't right now."  The gist of that scene wasn't that he couldn't be with him then just because the girls were there, but that he couldn't be with him openly in general.

You're right, though - Ennis does grow a little at the end when he agrees to go to Alma Jr.'s wedding (and I love how her face opens up like a flower with pleasure when he says he will), but that's only *after* he's realized all he's lost by living his life in fear.

Saying he devolves is inaccurate - you're right again - he really doesn't change much in 20 years, whereas to me, Jack does.

And I do understand where you're coming from about Jack having a fatal flaw.  But to me, his flaw is that he loves Ennis too greatly for his own good.  I don't see optimism as a flaw.  And that's what I think he is - an optimist.  Not a Peter Pan wannabe who doesn't want/isn't able to grow up, but someone who is always trying to make his life better.  He stays with Lureen because he realizes he can never have Ennis the way he wants, and if he can't have him, why divorce her and leave his child and all they have to just be miserable, poor, and alone?  Whereas Ennis stays with Alma as long as he does out of nothing more than fear.

What it boils down to for me is that Ennis is the one who made the more serious (and selfish) mistakes.  We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one, I reckon. 

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2006, 05:55:38 pm »
what one person sees as being true to one's self, another person sees as being selfish. Perhaps it comes down to what has been said often about this story. Ennis and Jack were in an impossible position. There were no winners, and in the end everybody got hurt--Alma and Lureen as well as Ennis and Jack.
Well put, Jeff. They were both reacting to an impossible situation in different ways. Both made some mistakes, but were doing what they thought best.

Setting aside the classic hero paradigm for a moment, if you think of one of the movie's themes as being, "here's what happens when a society won't tolerate a particular way to love," then Ennis and Jack are examples of two different kinds of damage that results from that injustice. One of them accepts the system as it is and as a result spends his life hiding, coping with shame and fear, denying himself and the person he cares most about the very thing they want more than anything. The other one tries to defy the system -- and here is one of the most convincing arguments I've seen yet for the crowbar interpretation -- and gets killed for it.

Once again, I think Ennis often gets criticized too harshly. Sure, he bears responsibility for a decision that went horribly wrong. But he was acting in good faith under the circumstances as he interpreted them, based on a traumatic childhood incident and what he'd been taught to believe. And, if the crowbar folks are right, looks like he sized things up pretty accurately. Only Ennis didn't realize that being careful himself wasn't enough. You see how mad he got at the idea of Jack being unfaithful to him in Mexico; he could hardly have known Jack was going to start seeing a man in Texas regularly enough to be at risk. Meanwhile, he chuckled when Jack confessed he was seeing a ranch foreman's wife and would probably get shot by Lureen or the husband or both (yet another a foreshadowing that could be seen as a crowbar argument). He didn't take that seriously. What if Jack had confessed that he was actually seeing a man in Texas? Ennis would have been not only jealous but also terrified for Jack.

As for who was more or less mature regarding their wives and kids and all that, I think neither were heroes nor villains. They both got married because they thought that was the appropriate thing to do -- again, according to the dictates of their culture. They both tried to do right by their kids. In fact, I've always found that a flaw in the post-divorce scene -- Ennis actually did the RIGHT THING by spending time with his daughters. Yes, he could have explained it better to Jack (who, after all, should not have driven all that way without notice). Yes, obviously he was paranoid about the white truck. But if this is supposed to be an instance of Ennis letting Jack down unfairly, Ennis should have had a lamer excuse. Had he ditched the daughters for the second month in a row in order to go off with Jack, I would criticize him for that myself.

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2006, 06:17:47 pm »
And the hits just keep onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn comin'!, Jeff

Nor do I love Jack the less. It just hurts all the more, now I see him in this light.

Granted, Ennis was a lousy husband. For that matter, I've never really understood why Jack stuck it out with him for that long. Wouldn't it have been more "grown up" of Jack to quit Ennis long before that final confrontation?

Yep, go check out the "Who do you identify more with, Jack or Ennis?" and read about the people who stayed with their Ennis' because they were in love (me for one).  Love is a hard nut to crack sometimes.  How often do you find it?  I mean, real love?  It's hard to let go when you do. 

I'll grant the point that Jack does seem more willing to try to fix things than to stand them, but look at his suggested fix to the food situation: killing and eating one of the sheep they were getting paid to guard. I have to take my stand with Ennis on that one.

I was with Jack.  It was an emergency, they'd lost half their food for a week through no fault of their own.  Yeah, they could subsist on beans for a week, but why would they want to if they didn't have to?

Jack:  What are you talking about?  They're a thousand of them.

Aguirre expected an attrition rate of his sheep anyway.  One more or less wouldn't have been that earth-shattering nor - had they been good shepherds - even noticed.

(OT but I've always felt Jake was badly directed--yes, I said badly directed!--in the scene where Jack tries and fails to shoot the coyote. He isn't even trying to aim that rifle properly.)

Maybe that's because Jack is not really good with a gun?   :-*  It's just one more thing he might brag that he knows how to do but really doesn't?  Ang made sure Jake and Heath knew how to ride and rope and handle livestock and you're saying that Ang neglected something as basic as gun-handling when there are two scenes that are clearly meant to contrast the marksmanship of our two guys?  I don't think so.

I think the evidence is slim to call Jack his son's primary care giver, but that might also hinge on how the term is defined, though without doubt he does show admirable concern for his son's well-being.

Agree.  But since the scene Jack has with Bobby playing riding him around the combine is an added scene and not in the story I think that that's what it means .  What adds to that is that the scene takes place not at their house, but at Newsome's Farm Equipment, that IMO implies Jack has time or wants to play with his son on the job, while Lureen does/can not.  It was a family business.  I imagine both Jack and Lureen spent a lot of time there.  Since Lureen was the owner, and Jack only a salesman, he could 'clock out' at 5 pm, go pick up Bobby from school/caretaker while Lureen stayed behind to shut down the business, tally the sales, balance the books, etc.

(Let's also not forget Ennis's concern that his little girls are being exposed to those slopbucket bikers, he suggests treating them to ice cream, and he promises to take them to the church picnic.)

Agree, but Ennis' fireworks scene was about his irritation and feelings of being trapped.  Notice that his 'little girls' exposed to such language are not of an age to even understand what is being said.  Heck, Jenny is practically an infant!  Ennis suggests treating them to ice cream, but parents often offer a treat when children have been sick as an incentive (plus it was also wonky that Ennis would buy ice cream for an infant and a two year old), but this is very very early in his relationship with Alma.  Before he even meets Jack again.  Ennis only promises to take the girls to the church picnic because they pleaded with him.  He apparently had not intended to go nor offered to take them before.

We don't know whose idea it was to go to that charity dinner dance, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lureen dragged Jack there, more out of concern for social position in the community than from any desire for a social life. To me he doesn't look too happy about being there.

True, but Jack still goes.  Could Alma have dragged Ennis?  If a man doesn't want to go somewhere, he doesn't go.  Like Ennis.  Jack went.  The Newsome's are a big, well known family business in Childress.  It would be expected that they're part of the local social set that does such things.  Jack would have known that from the beginning.

And running off to a hustler in Mexico just because he can't get laid by Ennis is the act of a spoiled, selfish brat. (Yes, I'm being very harsh here.)

Soooooo after five years of being faithful to Ennis, an unselfish healthy young man raging with hormones that cannot be assuaged by his wife would just go home and keep doing without because his lover tells him that's the way it's going to be?

Jack:  I'm not you!  I can't make it on a few high-atitiude fucks a year!

And he's not and Jack shouldn't be expected to be an Ennis and act like a monk because he can't get what he needs from his lover. 

Sounds practical and pragmatic, not selfish.  It also sounds sad.  Jack is not happy at all that he does it.

Running up to Wyoming unannounced just because he got word that Ennis's divorce had been finalized is not a very adult course of action.

Adult?  Very much so.  I think we all have stories like this.  I wouldn't be the one to say they're not the actions of an adult. To me, Jack acts like a man in love.  Announced?  Sure.  Jack is implusive, takes chances.  That's who he is.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2006, 07:09:23 pm »
(and I love how her [Alma, Jr.'s] face opens up like a flower with pleasure when he says he will),

Barb,

Just had to say, that's a beautiful and very apt image--more or less what I thought myself as I watched the scene Friday night.

Jeff

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2006, 07:19:18 pm »
As for who was more or less mature regarding their wives and kids and all that, I think neither were heroes nor villains. They both got married because they thought that was the appropriate thing to do -- again, according to the dictates of their culture. They both tried to do right by their kids. In fact, I've always found that a flaw in the post-divorce scene -- Ennis actually did the RIGHT THING by spending time with his daughters. Yes, he could have explained it better to Jack (who, after all, should not have driven all that way without notice). Yes, obviously he was paranoid about the white truck. But if this is supposed to be an instance of Ennis letting Jack down unfairly, Ennis should have had a lamer excuse. Had he ditched the daughters for the second month in a row in order to go off with Jack, I would criticize him for that myself.

Thanks for that, latjoreme!

Another thing that I've noticed about that post-divorce scene, and have been involved in a discussion about in the past, is that while Ennis is paranoid about the white truck, we don't seem to see any reaction to Jack's telling him that he's been asking people all over Riverton where Ennis is living. If I were Ennis, that would bother me a lot more than one pickup passing on the road.

Jeff

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2006, 07:58:13 pm »
And the hits just keep onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn comin'!, Jeff

Maybe that's because Jack is not really good with a gun?   :-*  It's just one more thing he might brag that he knows how to do but really doesn't?  Ang made sure Jake and Heath knew how to ride and rope and handle livestock and you're saying that Ang neglected something as basic as gun-handling when there are two scenes that are clearly meant to contrast the marksmanship of our two guys?  I don't think so.

Yes, Jack is supposed to be a bad marksman, but I'm stickin' to my guns on this one. When I was a teenager my dad and I shot targets. I was a lousy shot, but at least I know you have to raise a rifle higher than Jake does in order to sight what you're aiming at. It would have been possible for Jack to be a bad marksman and at least have it look like he's trying.-JW

I think the evidence is slim to call Jack his son's primary care giver, but that might also hinge on how the term is defined, though without doubt he does show admirable concern for his son's well-being.

Agree.  But since the scene Jack has with Bobby playing riding him around the combine is an added scene and not in the story I think that that's what it means .  What adds to that is that the scene takes place not at their house, but at Newsome's Farm Equipment, that IMO implies Jack has time or wants to play with his son on the job, while Lureen does/can not.  It was a family business.  I imagine both Jack and Lureen spent a lot of time there.  Since Lureen was the owner, and Jack only a salesman, he could 'clock out' at 5 pm, go pick up Bobby from school/caretaker while Lureen stayed behind to shut down the business, tally the sales, balance the books, etc.

I think you're reading too much into the combine scene.-JW

(Let's also not forget Ennis's concern that his little girls are being exposed to those slopbucket bikers, he suggests treating them to ice cream, and he promises to take them to the church picnic.)

Agree, but Ennis' fireworks scene was about his irritation and feelings of being trapped.  Notice that his 'little girls' exposed to such language are not of an age to even understand what is being said.  Heck, Jenny is practically an infant!  Ennis suggests treating them to ice cream, but parents often offer a treat when children have been sick as an incentive (plus it was also wonky that Ennis would buy ice cream for an infant and a two year old), but this is very very early in his relationship with Alma.  Before he even meets Jack again.  Ennis only promises to take the girls to the church picnic because they pleaded with him.  He apparently had not intended to go nor offered to take them before.

Ennis's own stated reason for his actions in the fireworks scene is the presence of his children. He's acting to protect his children. We have no way of knowing whether Ennis knew about the picnic, and in the end, he still agrees to take them because they want to go.-JW

True, but Jack still goes.  Could Alma have dragged Ennis?  If a man doesn't want to go somewhere, he doesn't go.  Like Ennis.  Jack went.  The Newsome's are a big, well known family business in Childress.  It would be expected that they're part of the local social set that does such things.  Jack would have known that from the beginning.

So what's your point? A man might not go, but a henpecked husband would, and Lureen clearly wears the pants in the family because she controls the money. You're more or less saying what I said, they were there because of their social position.-JW

And running off to a hustler in Mexico just because he can't get laid by Ennis is the act of a spoiled, selfish brat. (Yes, I'm being very harsh here.)

Soooooo after five years of being faithful to Ennis, an unselfish healthy young man raging with hormones that cannot be assuaged by his wife would just go home and keep doing without because his lover tells him that's the way it's going to be?

And he's not and Jack shouldn't be expected to be an Ennis and act like a monk because he can't get what he needs from his lover. 

Sounds practical and pragmatic, not selfish.  It also sounds sad.  Jack is not happy at all that he does it.

So you're condoning infidelity and prostitution because they're practical and pragmatic? There are other ways Jack could have obtained relief, known to all gay men, and probably to a lot of straight ones, too.-JW

Running up to Wyoming unannounced just because he got word that Ennis's divorce had been finalized is not a very adult course of action.

Adult?  Very much so. 

Are you deliberately goading me? Running up to Wyoming that way without letting Ennis know he's coming is not the action of a responsible adult. It's the action of an impulsive child.-JW

I think we all have stories like this.  I wouldn't be the one to say they're not the actions of an adult. To me, Jack acts like a man in love.  Announced?  Sure.  Jack is implusive, takes chances.  That's who he is.

I don't have a story like that, and I am saying that's not the action of a responsible adult.-JW

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2006, 08:23:22 pm »
I have YET to hear a good explanation for Ennis writing /phoning (in the short story) Jack about the divorce to begin with! They are not the long-distance communicating type, a date they were gtting together had already been set for next month, and as far as Ennis is concerned, his divorce makes no difference in his relationship with Jack. What would YOU do if you suddenly heard from your lover that he was getting a divorce?!  Did Ennis add: I sure will miss the girls. Doubt it. (even though it's true).

I have not, and maybe never will, watch my DVD half a dozen times, because the player is broken. I'm pretty good with a can opener, though (25 times).

Baseball has been full of some pretty cute guys..this one died at 34 in 1894 of alchoholism. Leans on that Pedestal like Jack leaning on a truck..... click to enlarge...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 08:27:48 pm by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2006, 10:52:57 pm »
Jeff

Barb is right, we'll all have to agree to disagree.

Maybe that's because Jack is not really good with a gun?   It's just one more thing he might brag that he knows how to do but really doesn't?  Ang made sure Jake and Heath knew how to ride and rope and handle livestock and you're saying that Ang neglected something as basic as gun-handling when there are two scenes that are clearly meant to contrast the marksmanship of our two guys?  I don't think so.

Yes, Jack is supposed to be a bad marksman, but I'm stickin' to my guns on this one. When I was a teenager my dad and I shot targets. I was a lousy shot, but at least I know you have to raise a rifle higher than Jake does in order to sight what you're aiming at. It would have been possible for Jack to be a bad marksman and at least have it look like he's trying.

I shoot target pistol and used to shoot skeet.  With skeet, I had no poise, no technique, no sense of aiming or hand to eye coordination and I still managed to hit the clay pigeons from time to time.

I think you're reading too much into the combine scene.

Maybe or maybe not.  Ang didn't waste one inch of film in this movie.  Almost everything means something.  Why not a scene of Jack playing with his son in the backyard of their home, tossing a ball or playing with a dog?  In some living area in the home he shared with Lureen?  Show a real domestic scene like Ang did with Ennis and his family scenes?  Instead they show Jack playing with his son in a combine on the Newsome business parking lot.  I think it was intentional.

Ennis's own stated reason for his actions in the fireworks scene is the presence of his children. He's acting to protect his children. We have no way of knowing whether Ennis knew about the picnic, and in the end, he still agrees to take them because they want to go.

Protect his children from what?  Bad language they didn't understand?  How is bad language from some smelly bikers who weren't even talking to Ennis and Alma a threat to his children so that they needed protection?  No, this scene was about Ennis losing it, not about Ennis 'the protector'.  If anything, it was a ironic shot, the icon of Americana, the cowboy color-drenched in red/white/blue fireworks standing up for his family, when his reaction is really an overreaction born of internal desperation and anger.  As for the picnic, he may or may not have known about it, but if he did know about it, he apparently had no desire to go until his children pleaded for HIM to take them.  Alma is perfectly capable of taking them, but it's Ennis they ask.

So what's your point? A man might not go, but a henpecked husband would, and Lureen clearly wears the pants in the family because she controls the money. You're more or less saying what I said, they were there because of their social position.

Not really.  IMO Jack goes because it doesn't bother him TO go.  He doesn't have to be henpecked to be there.  Ennis, it bothers him to go, so he doesn't go.  Alma can't make him.  Jack doesn't seem to have a problem with it.  He doesn't look like he's having a good time, but it doesn't look like he really hates it either.  And he certainly knows how to dance - much better than he did in 1966.  You COULD improve your dancing skills by dancing around your living room at home, but likely he learned that while going out with Lureen - regularly.

So you're condoning infidelity

Of course.  One of the main storylines is a love story between two men who are married to other people.  They're both in loveless marriages, both in a time where divorce was a bad option for many.  We want them to be together.  We see how happy and free they are when they do get together.  Obviously aside from gathering the strength to divorce their spouses and getting together, infidelity is the only option for them TO be together.

and prostitution because they're practical and pragmatic?

You can't get more pragmatic than prostitution.  You pay for a specific thing and get it and the other person goes away.  No emotional ties, no muss, no fuss.

There are other ways Jack could have obtained relief, known to all gay men, and probably to a lot of straight ones, too.

Well, I'd be interested in hearing what you suggest because if one person is craving the touch of another person of the same sex as a lover, it seems that the only other option IS just more infidelity.

Adult?  Very much so.

Are you deliberately goading me? Running up to Wyoming that way without letting Ennis know he's coming is not the action of a responsible adult. It's the action of an impulsive child.

Why would I do that?  It sounds like a man carried away by love.  Adults do that all the time.  Some do it to surprise their loved ones.  You  know, fun and romantic?  If you don't have a story like this, sure no problem, but that doesn't make people who don't have such stories more 'adult' or 'responsible'  than people who do.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 11:37:44 pm by delalluvia »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2006, 11:35:57 pm »
Wow. What other film/story/novel/video game/graphic novel/ANYTHING would stand up to the level of scrutiny we've put this one to -- which is, let's face it, a demand that fictional characters act with the perfect logic, consistency and clear motivations that even few regular real-life humans exhibit -- and STILL come out looking pretty good? THAT, Friends, is great literature (or cinema, in this case).

But the divorce scene is an example of at least one instance where I think the demands of realistic motivation vs. dramatic usefulness get a bit blurry. Why would Ennis send Jack a card announcing his divorce? We can explain it any way we want, but chances are that in real life he might not, he'd just wait until he saw Jack next time, or if he did send a card he would add some other thing, like "see you in November." Why would Jack drive 1.400 miles without prior notice on the basis of a flimsy postcard? Again, chances are that in real life he might not. But if he does it makes for a good, sad, dramatic scene and an excuse for him to redline it to Mexico afterward, which sets up yet another good, sad, dramatic scene at the lake.

Now, I'm as willing as anybody to believe that Ennis and Jack are real-life, flesh and blood cowboys (hell, my entire fantasy life depends on it), but there are times you just have to cut them some slack. Are Ennis' daughters too young to eat ice cream? Is it necessary for Ennis to beat up the bikers when his daughters aren't old enough to understand their remarks? Whose idea was it to go to the charity dance or the church picnic? I love picking this movie apart and will gladly do it for hours every day, but I do think eventually you hit a wall where you just have to shrug and admit that some character or other did something or other for dramatic purposes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 11:39:27 pm by latjoreme »

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2006, 12:14:57 am »
You said it much better than I could Katherine.  It can be interesting to speculate on a character's motives based on actions or words.  But in the end, how we interpret things reflects our experiences and values as much as the characters. 

What I don't get is trying to see either Jack or Ennis as 'the more mature one'.  Just like real people, both do wonderful and questionable things.  That's why they do come across as flesh and blood and we can identify with them.  We've all done things that we regret or wish we'd done differently.  But it's easier to judge them then to identify with them.

Oh wait, that's another thread.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2006, 03:39:27 am »
Juan, Katherine, thank you.

Jeff

Barb is right, we'll all have to agree to disagree.

Maybe that's because Jack is not really good with a gun?   It's just one more thing he might brag that he knows how to do but really doesn't?  Ang made sure Jake and Heath knew how to ride and rope and handle livestock and you're saying that Ang neglected something as basic as gun-handling when there are two scenes that are clearly meant to contrast the marksmanship of our two guys?  I don't think so.

Yes, Jack is supposed to be a bad marksman, but I'm stickin' to my guns on this one. When I was a teenager my dad and I shot targets. I was a lousy shot, but at least I know you have to raise a rifle higher than Jake does in order to sight what you're aiming at. It would have been possible for Jack to be a bad marksman and at least have it look like he's trying.

I shoot target pistol and used to shoot skeet.  With skeet, I had no poise, no technique, no sense of aiming or hand to eye coordination and I still managed to hit the clay pigeons from time to time.

I think you're reading too much into the combine scene.

Maybe or maybe not.  Ang didn't waste one inch of film in this movie.  Almost everything means something.  Why not a scene of Jack playing with his son in the backyard of their home, tossing a ball or playing with a dog?  In some living area in the home he shared with Lureen?  Show a real domestic scene like Ang did with Ennis and his family scenes?  Instead they show Jack playing with his son in a combine on the Newsome business parking lot.  I think it was intentional.

Ennis's own stated reason for his actions in the fireworks scene is the presence of his children. He's acting to protect his children. We have no way of knowing whether Ennis knew about the picnic, and in the end, he still agrees to take them because they want to go.

Protect his children from what?  Bad language they didn't understand?  How is bad language from some smelly bikers who weren't even talking to Ennis and Alma a threat to his children so that they needed protection?  No, this scene was about Ennis losing it, not about Ennis 'the protector'.  If anything, it was a ironic shot, the icon of Americana, the cowboy color-drenched in red/white/blue fireworks standing up for his family, when his reaction is really an overreaction born of internal desperation and anger.  As for the picnic, he may or may not have known about it, but if he did know about it, he apparently had no desire to go until his children pleaded for HIM to take them.  Alma is perfectly capable of taking them, but it's Ennis they ask.[/i]

Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that a parent with two small children wouldn't object to the bikers' language just because the children are too young to understand it? Bullshit. Or, I'm glad you're not the other parent of my kids, if I had kids.

So what's your point? A man might not go, but a henpecked husband would, and Lureen clearly wears the pants in the family because she controls the money. You're more or less saying what I said, they were there because of their social position.

Not really.  IMO Jack goes because it doesn't bother him TO go.  He doesn't have to be henpecked to be there.  Ennis, it bothers him to go, so he doesn't go.  Alma can't make him.  Jack doesn't seem to have a problem with it.  He doesn't look like he's having a good time, but it doesn't look like he really hates it either.  And he certainly knows how to dance - much better than he did in 1966.  You COULD improve your dancing skills by dancing around your living room at home, but likely he learned that while going out with Lureen - regularly.

So you're condoning infidelity

Of course.  One of the main storylines is a love story between two men who are married to other people.  They're both in loveless marriages, both in a time where divorce was a bad option for many.  We want them to be together.  We see how happy and free they are when they do get together.  Obviously aside from gathering the strength to divorce their spouses and getting together, infidelity is the only option for them TO be together.

You know damn well I'm not talking about fidelity to the legal spouses.

and prostitution because they're practical and pragmatic?

You can't get more pragmatic than prostitution.  You pay for a specific thing and get it and the other person goes away.  No emotional ties, no muss, no fuss.

There are other ways Jack could have obtained relief, known to all gay men, and probably to a lot of straight ones, too.

Well, I'd be interested in hearing what you suggest because if one person is craving the touch of another person of the same sex as a lover, it seems that the only other option IS just more infidelity.

Touch had nothing to do with it. Jack just wants to get fucked. Ever hear of a dildo? There, I've said it!

Adult?  Very much so.

Not in my world.

Are you deliberately goading me? Running up to Wyoming that way without letting Ennis know he's coming is not the action of a responsible adult. It's the action of an impulsive child.

Why would I do that?  It sounds like a man carried away by love.  Adults do that all the time.  Some do it to surprise their loved ones.  You  know, fun and romantic?  If you don't have a story like this, sure no problem, but that doesn't make people who don't have such stories more 'adult' or 'responsible'  than people who do.

I don't deal in "fun" and "romantic." Anyone who shows up as Jack did, unannounced, is indeed behaving less responsibly and less like an adult.

I'm done here.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2006, 07:44:25 am »
You said it much better than I could Katherine.  It can be interesting to speculate on a character's motives based on actions or words.  But in the end, how we interpret things reflects our experiences and values as much as the characters. 

What I don't get is trying to see either Jack or Ennis as 'the more mature one'.  Just like real people, both do wonderful and questionable things.  That's why they do come across as flesh and blood and we can identify with them.  We've all done things that we regret or wish we'd done differently.  But it's easier to judge them then to identify with them.

Excellent points, Juan, especially that last one.  I went to bed with the same thought last night, though not laid out so eloquently in my mind.  These are very realistic characters, and as you said, that's why we relate so well to different aspects of both of them.  And real people fuck up.  Real people refuse to let go of love for years and years even when they know it's going nowhere and ruining their lives.  Real people overract when they feel they're being pushed into a corner.  Real people hurt the ones they love and the ones who love them without meaning to.  Real people are selfish sometimes.  Even the best of them.

So let's not quibble over 'oo killed 'oom.  Let's just enjoy the poetry of a story and characters that are as real as they come.
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2006, 11:39:34 am »
Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that a parent with two small children wouldn't object to the bikers' language just because the children are too young to understand it? Bullshit. Or, I'm glad you're not the other parent of my kids, if I had kids.

What were the bikers doing?  They had come to a public festival, sat down, and were having a private conversation in their very salty language.  They were not insulting anyone nor causing a disturbance.

Then what happens?  A family man with two little kids, a toddler and an infant tells them to watch their language so his kids aren't offended.

THEN the guys get insulting.  So, what would any parent do?  Stand up and start a fight?  Right, whatever.   I would - as Alma suggested to Ennis - just move.  Sounds more reasonable, right?

Obviously aside from gathering the strength to divorce their spouses and getting together, infidelity is the only option for them TO be together.

You know damn well I'm not talking about fidelity to the legal spouses.

Then that's the only 'infidelity' I know.  Otherwise, all I know is cheating on a monogamous partner, but that's only if there is a prior understanding between the two partners in a relationship that that is how it's going to be. Jeff, I wonder how long you've been dating when you say things like this.  With no understanding of a relationship, no promise for the future, no assurance of when they were going to see each other again, Jack was well within his rights to find what he needed outside a very tenuous 'official' relationship.

Touch had nothing to do with it. Jack just wants to get fucked. Ever hear of a dildo? There, I've said it!

Sorry guy, masturbation certainly isn't 'getting fucked'.  It's like all those jokes you hear in teenybopper movies - they don't count having sex with yourself as 'real' sex.  Jack was probably already having sex with himself in those 5 years when he probably was faithful to Ennis.  Maybe he was getting sex from Lureen.  Then Ennis tells him the horrible news that they will not EVER live together and this once or twice a year thing is it.  That's not an affirmation of a relationship.  Jack again, is well within his rights to go find what he wants.

Running up to Wyoming unannounced just because he got word that Ennis's divorce had been finalized is not a very adult course of action

Adult?  Very much so.

Not in my world.

OK.  But yours is not the only world.

It sounds like a man carried away by love.  Adults do that all the time.  Some do it to surprise their loved ones.  You know, fun and romantic?  If you don't have a story like this, sure no problem, but that doesn't make people who don't have such stories more 'adult' or 'responsible'  than people who do.

I don't deal in "fun" and "romantic." Anyone who shows up as Jack did, unannounced, is indeed behaving less responsibly and less like an adult.

OK, but since there is no handbook on what is adult behavior, I - and probably many other people - don't agree.  I've known acquaintances who've flown and driven across entire countries to surprise their loved ones.