Author Topic: Tell ya: I been a Texas!  (Read 4820 times)

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Tell ya: I been a Texas!
« on: November 17, 2006, 05:46:35 pm »
Howdy Tremblayans,
from time to time I find some minutes to visit Bettermost, and was willing to tell ya 'bout my latest trip. Business (or fate) had me in the past few days travellin' to the land where half the story develops. Actually I was in the Big "D", not in Childress, but the feeling of being that near to where one of the characters spent his last few years was simply emotional.
I had the chance of watching one of the ProRodeo finals. Absolutely great! All the specialties (roping, bareback and bull riding, barrell racing, you name it...) were to be seen and the best cowboys and cowgals from all across the States - but curiously none from WY - were all there. And to add an extra score, one of the guys bore an astonishing similarity to movie Jack! Could he be a re-incarnation?
And guess who was one of the sponsors of the events? No less than Resistol! Everything really made it my day.
So, before leaving Texas, I knew I had to do it. Buying a cowboy hat - and I had never bought a hat before in all my life -: so I now proudly own a Del Rio Round Oval Resistol. A great looking hat, though I just wonder which models did our heroes wore in the movie. Does anyone know?
I think I would just look odd walking around here wearing it, but should I get back there or in WY, I'll proudly bring it along and wear it.
Back to you soon! (I hope)
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Tell ya: I been a Texas!
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 06:01:12 pm »
That's great to hear, Luigi! We need a picture of you in your hat!! Very interesting about the rodeo, we'd like to hear more!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:48:50 pm »
Hey Luigi!  Glad to read you liked your trip to the Big D.

Heh, glad you got the hat.  They are hard to resist when you go to the rodeo.  ;D

Please post a picture when you can!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 09:54:18 pm »
Good for you, Luigi!  I'll bet you look terrific in your Resistol.  Those hats are well named, because they really are hard to resist!  ;D

Hope you make it to one of the meets so we can check you out in person!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline luigival

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 09:37:22 am »
Hi there Front, Della and Meryl,
yeah, I liked my short - and busy - Texan escapade, and true, I too believe Resistol stands for "you can't resist'em: you oughta get one".
Well, the Rodeo was really a great show, lasting almost 3 hours, this being the final of the ProRoeo 2006 Tour Championship, with all the trimmings and fanfare that go with it. The speakers detailed names and features of each rider, just as I was expecting after seeing BBM (at a point I was obviously expecting to listen "and here's Jack Twist, from Lightning Flat, Wyoming...", but this didn't materialize. Rodeo clowns - though no Jimbo - were there saving those who fell down bulls, as well as making silly jokes in between the different ridings, and all those who were there did really a great job of entertaining the public. Nice cowgals performed swift and elegant barrel racings, though I missed a bit Lureen's red hat.
Strangely enough the AA Center, were the rodeo was taking place, was only 2/3 full. Can it be that Texans are less interested in rodeos these days? BTW: do they drink coffee?
And once the rodeo was over, and prizes distributed, a great country concert performed by Neal McCoy took place: a perfect ending to an almost perfect Texan afternoon... It could only have been better if it was being shared with other fellow Bettermostians.
Luigi

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 11:23:06 am »
Hi there Front, Della and Meryl,
yeah, I liked my short - and busy - Texan escapade, and true, I too believe Resistol stands for "you can't resist'em: you oughta get one".
Well, the Rodeo was really a great show, lasting almost 3 hours, this being the final of the ProRoeo 2006 Tour Championship, with all the trimmings and fanfare that go with it. The speakers detailed names and features of each rider, just as I was expecting after seeing BBM (at a point I was obviously expecting to listen "and here's Jack Twist, from Lightning Flat, Wyoming...", but this didn't materialize. Rodeo clowns - though no Jimbo - were there saving those who fell down bulls, as well as making silly jokes in between the different ridings, and all those who were there did really a great job of entertaining the public. Nice cowgals performed swift and elegant barrel racings, though I missed a bit Lureen's red hat.
Strangely enough the AA Center, were the rodeo was taking place, was only 2/3 full. Can it be that Texans are less interested in rodeos these days?

Rodeos are mostly a country people thing.  You won't find many metrosexuals or yuppies in Dallas going out of their way to go a rodeo.

BTW: do they drink coffee?

With a passion.

And once the rodeo was over, and prizes distributed, a great country concert performed by Neal McCoy took place: a perfect ending to an almost perfect Texan afternoon... It could only have been better if it was being shared with other fellow Bettermostians.
Luigi

What a great idea.  A Brokies afternoon at the rodeo.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 11:29:20 am »
I'll pencil in rodeo for our late May get-together in Denver. Can you join us, Luigi? I'm sure you have some business that must take you to Denver at the end of May!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline luigival

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 12:32:31 pm »
I'll pencil in rodeo for our late May get-together in Denver. Can you join us, Luigi? I'm sure you have some business that must take you to Denver at the end of May!!
Never been to Denver, so that sounds like a great idea. Will definitely consider it, Lee! Keep me posted...

Offline delalluvia

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 01:51:10 pm »
Quote from: Front-Ranger on Today at 10:29:20 am
Never been to Denver, so that sounds like a great idea. Will definitely consider it, Lee! Keep me posted...

That's what other people do...go to Denver. ;D

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 06:13:42 pm »
Well Lucise, glad you got over to Dallas and attended a rodeo.  I'm not suprised it wasn't a big sellout. So many ppl from Dallas aren't from that part of the country and weren't exposed to ranch culture.  Don't know what there missing.  They'd rather go shoppin at Neiman Marcus.   I heard Houston has  a gigantic rodeo.  Never was intersted in going until I got the BBM "fever."    I think those TX cowboys like their Coca Cola. Everybody likes coffee. It's a "manly" drink in the American Southwest, they gulp it, don't sip it aka Cafe Latte style. 

Did you have to rent a car and drive out to see the rodeo or was it out in a downtown arena?   Did you discuss BBM with any of the patrons at the rodeo?  ;)   It was on CNN.com today, how Dallas is reaching out to gay tourist as they got that disposable income. Sure, I like to shop and go see a museum, but you can do that in any cosmopolitan large city.  Maye they should put in a rodeo as a package deal.  You can't go see a rodeo in Boston or Miami or Milan for that matter. 

Buy yourself a lit TX flag or get yourself a pair of cowboy boots? There also big on belt buckles I suppose.