Author Topic: Bush appoints anti-birth control fundamentalist to run family planning program  (Read 26431 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
you know I think you are way smart...and I agree with most everything in your post but i just am uncomfortable with saying you know a 'type'...to me that is being prejudiced and no different than them making blanket generalizations about gays or women...

I'm sorry injest, but when I say I know the type, I'm not talking out of thin air.  Does it cover everyone?  Of course not.  Not even my religious friends.  Some are extremely liberal.  But I have yet to meet a liberal Born Again.  All of them have this attitude.  If any of you out there know a Born Again Christian who does not espouse this attitude, please let me know, I would be happy to transmit this information along to my Born Again friends who do.

I don't know what else to call someone who says one thing but does another but hypocrites or cherry pickers or cafeteria Christians.  I'm really down on the Mormon religion, for being what it is, but amazingly the best Christian I've ever met has been a Mormon.  He is a strict follower of all their practices, down to wearing the funky underwear, keeping to his diet, keeping his virginity and keeping the Sabbath.  I don't call the guy on Sundays because he's not taking calls, going to movies, watching TV or getting on the computer.

It would not be giving this guy justice to call the cherry pickers, Christians, alongside this guy.  It seems that he has earned being called a Christian while the others are pretty much wannabes.  And it's not a judgment call either.  Christians/Born Agains are XYZ according to their own beliefs.  I simply match actions to belief systems.

injest

I visited their website last night...they wrote like they thought we were all r   e   a   l   l   y    S  L  O  W!!

Nice to know they have such a high opinion of their visitors... :P

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Yet you are judging all Christians.

It could be said you are doing the same thing when discussing those that have abortions.

As for UK stats on payments made by parents can't find any quickly but the child support agency here in the UK is in turmoil and is to be scrapped. Its absolutely useless.

my sister sees her ex husband working every day - yet he pays £5 a week for his 3 kids. and he gets legal aid - as he says he doesn't have a job and despite her providing photographic evidence.. she can't get him to pay up or get the csa to catch him.

No argument is cut and dry - but I think there should be options available to people which do not enforce people in every day life to adhere by the judgements of others.

I'm not a regualr church goer - I admit it. But my philosophy is - if I am a good person, I do right by my family, friends etc, and help out as I can in my community and treat everyone as equals and speak up where I feel prejudices come about - then I am a good person and god will now that and reward me for that. 

There are plenty of so called devout christians out there that are the worst kind of people I know.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I have a suggestion:  Let's make all women experiencing unwanted pregnancies carry them to term under the following condition:

The father of the unwanted pregnancy must wear a Scarlet Letter A embroidered on the front of every piece of clothing he owns for the rest of his life, and he must have one tattooed on his chest for when he goes shirtless.

Because a woman carrying an unwanted child is not just experiencing all the physiological and psychological traumas associated with that.  She is showing the unsympathetic world that she is a "sinner" as soon as she starts to show.  Why should that be only the mother's burden?  Isn't it half the father's, too?  And it doesn't end when the pregnancy is over and the child is born and given to adoptive parents.

You know what I think would bring an end to the whole abortion debate as we know it?  Is if there were a law that said that not only would the fathers have to wear the scarlet letter (and what the hell - I'll be fair about it - the mothers do, too, after the babies are born), but that conservative lawmakers would have to foot the bill for *every one* of those adoptive babies.  Until they are 18.  Better yet - that they'd have to adopt every last one of them into their own families.

I'd like to see these assholes - oh, sorry - these people put their money where their mouths are.

I'm guessing you're not a parent, Mark.  I'm guessing that because almost without exception, the most vocal pro-lifers I know are not.  But if you are, I apologize.  And if you are, you know that raising a child you wanted more than anything in the world is hard as nails.  Now imagine raising one you didn't want.  And what if you don't have the resources to go and put that child up for adoption?  What if you're a poor, urban crack addict whose child nobody is gonna want to adopt?  Do you think it's still better to bring that unwanted child into your horrible, miserable world than the alternative?  Are you willing to adopt *that* child?

I do respect your opinion and understand it very well.  But I think that you also need to consider that we aren't talking about middle-class surbanites having unwanted pregnancies more times than not.

No more beans!

injest

not that we have strong feelings about this issue though

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It is called a hot button issue for a reason!

I don't think Mark is a bad guy here, ya'll...and he has indicated he is open to debate...let's not get too far on his case. If we all agreed with each other the world would be a very boring place. and I for one like to hear the other side...even if I disagree...

I do want to keep discussing this issue...the appointee's stance DOES (in my opinion) disqualify him ...can we focus on the appointee's views...and lets not go to personal attacks..

NO ONE has at this point but I just wanted to wave everyone off before it gets too hot in here!!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
not that we have strong feelings about this issue though

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It is called a hot button issue for a reason!

I don't think Mark is a bad guy here, ya'll...and he has indicated he is open to debate...let's not get too far on his case. If we all agreed with each other the world would be a very boring place. and I for one like to hear the other side...even if I disagree...

I do want to keep discussing this issue...the appointee's stance DOES (in my opinion) disqualify him ...can we focus on the appointee's views...and lets not go to personal attacks..

NO ONE has at this point but I just wanted to wave everyone off before it gets too hot in here!!

You said it injest!!  Whew, the sweat is really flying here!  We'll try to keep it as civil as possible.  ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Sorry, y'all!  Definitely my biggest hot-button issue.  Can you tell?  ;)

Mark, I mean no disrespect.  I respect you and your argument/opinions very much.  And I don't expect to change your mind - just give you an opposing viewpoint you may not have thought about and that, while you won't agree with it, will give you a little more understanding as to where some of us are coming from on this issue.

Peace.
No more beans!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male

It sure did get hot in here Jess. All this heat snapped the elastic in my BVD's.

Let's all sit down and cool off.

A glass of ice cold lemonade for everyone.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

It sure did get hot in here Jess. All this heat snapped the elastic in my BVD's.

Let's all sit down and cool off.

A glass of ice cold lemonade for everyone.  :)

here you go...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Mmmmm.  I feel cooler already.  :)
No more beans!