Author Topic: Bush appoints anti-birth control fundamentalist to run family planning program  (Read 26418 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
My favorite drink:

Plain iced tea with lemon.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

injest

you know I have been going thru this website and I am wondering...where is their MEN'S website. Why doesn't he get up in MEN'S sexual behavior?

I am still furious that insurance will cover erectile disfunction drugs but not birth control! (well my friends' insurance at least...there may be some plans that cover both)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
you know I have been going thru this website and I am wondering...where is their MEN'S website. Why doesn't he get up in MEN'S sexual behavior?

I am still furious that insurance will cover erectile disfunction drugs but not birth control! (well my friends' insurance at least...there may be some plans that cover both)

A good question.  I am fortunate to work for a progressive company.  My company offers benefits to the employee and/or spouse, and spouse can be a legal domestic partner.  I suppose that is b/c it's an international company...no legal partnerships legalized in AL.  Prescription birth control, vasectomies, tubal ligations all covered.  Condoms, interestingly enough are not...probably because they are non-prescription.  They can be reimbursed via a pre-tax spending account.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
My insurance is through UnitedHealthcare, via American Airlines.  They do *not* cover birth control (or preventative medicine like annual GYN exams and tests), but they probably do cover erectile dysfunction "therapies," knowing them, and considering that they're probably about the most male-dominated industry in the country, after oil drilling and politics.
No more beans!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
* There's something you can do. *
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2006, 02:07:13 pm »
Tell Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt to reject Keroack's appointment immediately:

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/feministmajority/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=6020

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: * There's something you can do. *
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2006, 09:36:08 pm »
Tell Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt to reject Keroack's appointment immediately:

http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/feministmajority/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=6020

Already did through Planned Parenthood's petition:

http://www.ppaction.org/campaign/replace_keroack2

Yeah, really chaps me as well.  From what I gathered, there is no real reason other than favoritism toward men.  A man doesn't have to get a woody to pee, so there's no real 'health' reason for insurance to cover ED drugs and not birth control.  Things are changing, thankfully.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2006, 10:51:56 am »
A man doesn't have to get a woody to pee, so there's no real 'health' reason for insurance to cover ED drugs  

Are you serious here or was this a cynical joke?

I hate that to play the devil's advocate here, but....

A female body getting pregnant is no illness. On the contrary, it's what the female body is made for (Edit: please keep in mind that I say female body not  women. I mean the plain bodily functions of every female mammal).
Erectile dysfunction is an illness and therefore it is indeed a health reason to be covered. Only because ED drugs are misused as "lifestyle drugs" doesn't mean that ED isn't an illness. ED is often an effect of spinal cord injuries, diabetes, injuries from previous operations, etc. There are many reasons for ED, not all so clear as in these examples.

Back on topic: I agree birth control should be covered to avoid unwanted pregnancies and abortions. It's not logical, it's not fair and I understand your anger about the situation.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 03:36:44 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2006, 12:05:47 pm »
was this a cynical joke?

Not at all.

A female body getting pregnant is no illness. On the contrary, it's what the female body is made for. Erectile dysfunction is an illness and therefore it is indeed a health reason to be covered. Only because ED drugs are misused as "lifestyle drugs" doesn't mean that ED isn't an illness. ED is often an effect of spinal cord injuries, diabetes, injuries from previous operations, etc. There are many reasons for ED, not all so clear as in these examples.

EDs are symptomatic of other diseases.  Not getting an erection is not an 'illness' in itself.  Do people HAVE to have sex to be healthy human beings?  Mentally perhaps, psychologically perhaps, but physically?  Many celibates live long healthy lives.  However, many women do die from pregnancy and giving birth.  Which do I think more important?  Well, I've already made that clear.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2006, 01:27:04 pm »
EDs are symptomatic of other diseases.  Not getting an erection is not an 'illness' in itself.  Do people HAVE to have sex to be healthy human beings?  Mentally perhaps, psychologically perhaps, but physically?  Many celibates live long healthy lives.  However, many women do die from pregnancy and giving birth.  Which do I think more important?  Well, I've already made that clear.

I'll drink the holiday eggnog to that.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2006, 03:02:23 pm »
Do people HAVE to have sex to be healthy human beings?  Mentally perhaps, psychologically perhaps, but physically?  Many celibates live long healthy lives.  However, many women do die from pregnancy and giving birth.  Which do I think more important?  Well, I've already made that clear.

Is it necessary to be mentally and psycholigically healthy to be a healthy human being?

What about counselling sessions? Should they not be covered by health insurance?

The mental and psychological state of a person has effects on his physical well-being and vice versa because humans are more than the sum of their organs.

More apples and oranges, but I hope you'll see what I want to express with these examples:

What about the little finger of your left hand? Do you really need it? I mean is it essentially for you to survive? I, for example, could live without the little finger on my left hand. Since I'm neither a piano player nor a secretary, it wouldn't even handicap me in my daily life and job if I hadn't it.
But if I injured it tomorrow, I would expect my health incurance to cover the costs to rescue it and regain it's full functionality.

Or what about the treatment of scars? Imagine you had a big scar right across your cheek and it could be treated, so in the effect it would be far less apparent. Should health insurance cover the costs? Cause you won't experience physical illness directly as an effect from it.

Following your logic wiht ED, health insurance should not cover the costs of said scar treatment either.

Edit: I modified a statment in my earlier post, because it was perhaps mistakable:
A female body getting pregnant is no illness. On the contrary, it's what the female body is made for (Edit: please keep in mind that I say female body not  women. I mean the plain bodily functions of every female mammal).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 03:40:50 pm by Penthesilea »