Author Topic: How's Your Vocabulary  (Read 9150 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: How's Your Vocabulary
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 07:02:10 am »
Your Vocabulary Score: A

Congratulations on your multifarious vocabulary!
You must be quite an erudite person.

How's Your Vocabulary?

http://www.blogthings.com/howsyourvocabularyquiz/
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

moremojo

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 11:34:26 am »
I think you would all do pretty good. I will make a Dutch vocabulary test and you will find that Dutch is a lot like English!
This is what I have heard. I understand that Frisian, a language (or dialect) spoken, I believe, on the northwestern coast of the Netherlands is the non-English language that most closely resembles English. I'd love to see your Dutch vocabulary test, Melissa.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 04:04:59 pm »
I think you would all do pretty good. I will make a Dutch vocabulary test and you will find that Dutch is a lot like English!

I always found Dutch is like a mixture of English and German. When it's spoken, I understand only little; depends on how clearly it is spoken. For a while I had a Dutch channel on TV and found I'm able to at least comprehend the essence of what was talked about.
But when reading, I can understand very much or even most of it, because it's a lot like English and German.

But when talking to a regular Dutch guy in the Netherlands who doesn't give a flying f*ck about speaking the least bit articulately...then I'm totally lost  ;D.
I found it astonishing, that almost all Dutch can understand German (seemingly) without problems and speak it at least a little bit. I would never be able to speak one single sentence Dutch.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 04:13:04 pm »
I always found Dutch is like a mixture of English and German. When it's spoken, I understand only little; depends on how clearly it is spoken. For a while I had a Dutch channel on TV and found I'm able to at least comprehend the essence of what was talked about.
But when reading, I can understand very much or even most of it, because it's a lot like English and German.

But when talking to a regular Dutch guy in the Netherlands who doesn't give a flying f*ck about speaking the least bit articulately...then I'm totally lost  ;D.
I found it astonishing, that almost all Dutch can understand German (seemingly) without problems and speak it at least a little bit. I would never be able to speak one single sentence Dutch.

Me too, written is much easier to understand than spoken.  I wonder if there are two reasons that Dutch have an easier time understanding German than vice versa - one) German doesn't have so much of an overlay of the guttural sounds, so it's maybe easier to pick out the syllables, and two) I bet Dutch hear much more German than German hear Dutch.  Both just guesses.

But what always blows me away and knocks my socks off is how well so many Germans and Dutch and Scandinavians speak English.  You all here amaze me.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 05:16:49 pm »
This English major would have been devastated by anything less! ;D:

Your Vocabulary Score: A 

Quite, Scott! Exactly what I thought, and exactly what I got (I am so HAPPY!!!, yippee!). God I love that site!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Toast

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 05:18:49 pm »
Your Vocabulary Score: A-

Congratulations on your multifarious vocabulary! (nefarious)

How's Your Vocabulary?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2006, 04:54:47 am »
Hee hee hee hee.... ;D

Please don't test me in Dutch, Melissa.

Remember "van top tot teen"?   :-\

I thought she was talking about a mountain ya'll. <blush> The proper translation is "From head to toe".

(God. I bet my Dutch grandfather was turning in his grave so fast he was throwing sparks. He might even come back and haunt me.)  :o

I have forgotten so much of my Dutch. It is just shameful.   :(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 03:09:56 am »
This is what I have heard. I understand that Frisian, a language (or dialect) spoken, I believe, on the northwestern coast of the Netherlands is the non-English language that most closely resembles English. I'd love to see your Dutch vocabulary test, Melissa.

Scott. My grandfather told me Dutch was the closest language to English. But English is NOT the closest language to Dutch; German is.

Confusing, isn't it?   ???

I also remember my Grandfather telling me people in the north of the Netherlands speak a dialect of Dutch so close to English a person speaking Frisian conversing with another person speaking English can actually understand each other, even though they were speaking two different languages. We never did make it up as far north as Friesland and to the cities of Leeuwarden, Sneek and Bolsward, but I would love to go up there someday.  :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 03:17:36 am »
Your Vocabulary Score: C+

Your vocabulary is average.
You're not exactly a literature major, but no one's going to accuse you of being illiterate!

How's Your Vocabulary?

" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 10:42:32 pm »

Your Vocabulary Score: A+

How's Your Vocabulary?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν