Author Topic: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes  (Read 126749 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Recipes - Main & Side Dishes
« on: October 29, 2006, 06:48:30 pm »
My contribution for today: the world's easiest pork chops. This is a recipe I got from my grandmother, who wasn't much of a cook. But it is easy and tasty and when the holidays roll around, and cooking is too much trouble, this is a regular in our household. I'll post the original with some variations.

GRAMMY VOSE'S PORK CHOPS

to serve 4

In a baking dish large enough to hold them in one layer, but close together, place 4 PORK CHOPS. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and Lawry's Seasoned Salt.

Slice ONE ONION thinly. Place the onion slices over the pork chops, basically trying to cover all the meat.

Open 1 can (14 oz) WHOLE TOMATOES. Place the tomatoes on top of the pork chops and onions. Using a fork (or knife) "smash" the tomatoes, so they are sort of flat on top of everything. (Note: can you tell this is recipe that has never been written down? LOL).

Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.

This is perfect with baked potatoes, since they can cook alongsid he pork chops, also at 350 degrees for an hour.

Variations:

One thing my grandmother didn't have was canned, diced tomatoes with various flavorings: garlic and oregano; basil, etc.  These are good and you can eliminate the "smashing" step.

These can be made with fresh tomatoes, too. If you do that, you might want to add some extra liquid to the pan: V8, tomato juice, or even chicken broth.

Enjoy...

Leslie
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:01:10 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Recipes - Main & Side Dishes
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:48:19 pm »
For generations, my family has always had these onions as a side dish with holiday turkey.

Great-Grandma's Onions Parmesan

3 lbs. white onions (the larger the better)
1 cup heavy cream
1 large egg
1/2 to 3/4 cup whole milk
4 oz. finely grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 stick butter

Slice onions 1/4 inch thick.  Melt butter in large skillet and sauté onions slowly until softened, mixing often to separate rings as they lose their shape

Meanwhile, beat egg thoroughly, add cheese and cream and milk.

Just before serving, add egg mixture to onions.  Stir and heat through, then serve (or turn into a casserole dish to be reheated later, about 15-20 minutes.)

Serves 6-8 as a side dish.

Enjoy! 
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 04:50:39 am »
Asparagus Rarebit a la Molly Katzen/Moosewood

2 tbs butter or margarine
2 tbs flour
1 tsp dry mustard
1.5 cups beer or ale at room temperature (OK if flat)
1 cup packed grated cheddar (0.5 lb)
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1 medium clove garlic, minced
salt, black pepper, & cayenne to taste

1) Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan.  Sprinkle in the flour & dry mustard, whisking constantly.
2) Add the beer or ale and keep whisking as you bring it to a boil.  Lower the heat annd simmer for about 10 minutes, mixing frequently.
3) Add the remaining ingredients, and stir until the cheese melts.
4) Serve hot oveer steamed vegetables and/or cooked potatoes.
5) Garnish with chunks of ripe tomatoes, tart apples, and/or toasted walnuts.

I bet apples and walnuts would make it Thanksgiving-like.--Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 09:03:42 am »
My family has certain foods that MUST appear on the holiday table, such as creamed onions. My mother's recipe is to take a jar of boiled onions, put them in a double boiler and pour a pint over cream over, then sprinkle with paprika. Yeah, right, mom. I found this recipe a few years ago and it has become the standard on MY table at Christmas (and various other holidays, too).

GOLDEN CREAMED ONIONS
Serves 8-10

3 lbs pearl onions, blanched in boiling water 2 minutes, drained, and peeled (To peel: blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes, rinse under cool water. Cut off the root and then pop out the onion. While many people find this step tedious and dull, I actually think it is relaxing and therapeutic.)

2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

In a skillet large enough to hold the onions in a single layer (or two if necessary), combine onions, butter, sugar, salt, and enough water to cover the onions by a 1/2-inch and bring mixture to boil. Boil until the liquid is almost evaporated and continue cooking, swirling pan, until the onions are golden and they begin to brown. Add the cream and continue swirling pan until cream thickens and colors (about 2 minutes). Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper. This dish can be prepared a day or even more in advance and can be reheated in a microwave, a skillet over low heat, or in a slow oven.

Leslie
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 11:27:20 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 09:07:01 am »
This isn't a holiday recipe, but we got talking about it in chat and I said I would post here. Easy and delicious and elegant enough to serve to company.

LESLIE'S SIGNATURE SCALLOPS AND ZUCCHINI ON CAPELLINI

to serve 4

3 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
2-3 zucchini, cut in matchstick juliene
1 lb scallops, cut into pieces if large
a generous amount of chopped fresh parsely
a few tablespoons of chopped fresh basil (dried is acceptable if fresh is not available)
a generous amount of grated cheese (I like Grana Padano, but Parmesan or Romano are also fine)

1 lb capellini (angel hair) - I like DeCecco. You can also use linguine or spaghetti--whatever you like, but the capellini is my favorite.

Have a large pot of boiling water ready for the pasta. Cook according to the package...DeCecco capellini takes 2 minutes. Spaghetti takes 12 minutes.

You need to time the pasta to the scallops/zucchini. If using spaghetti, put it in when you start to melt the butter. If using capellini, put it in when you add the parsely to the skillet.

In a large flat skillet, heat 2 tbsp. butter with 2 tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for a second, then add the zucchini.  Cook for a minute or two and then add the scallops. Cook until until the scallops turn opaque (another minute or so). Add parsely, basil, and several grinds of fresh pepper. At the very last second, add cheese and stir. The cheese will melt and you need to get if off the heat fast so it doesn't get rubbery.

Drain pasta and place in serving bowl, cover with scallops and zucchini. Sprinkle with a bit more cheese and garnish with lemon wedges.

Serve immediately.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 12:51:17 pm »
The Main Event on Thanksgiving is Turkey, and here is a new Twist on turkey:

Ingredients:
1 whole  turkey  (weight is dependent on how many servings are required)
1 large lemon, cut into halves
sprig of rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
butter or olive oil, whichever you prefer

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Rub butter or oil over the skin of the  turkey until it is completely coated

Take a knife and gently separate the skin from the breast meat;

Slide lemon halves under the skin with the peel side up. This way the juice from the lemon will coat the breast.
Season skin of  turkey to your preference, place sprig of rosemary into the  turkey.

Cover and place in oven for   30-45 minutes. Remove cover and continue
to roast until juices run clear, basting every 15-20 minutes depending on the size of the bird.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline coffeecat33

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 07:18:09 pm »
Can't say this is my favorite, but it is a "must" for the holidays here in the midwest. We Minnesotans just love a good hot dish.

Green Bean Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6
This traditional classic features green beans and Campbell's® Cream of Mushroom Soup topped with savory, crunchy French fried onions.

Ingredients:
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup OR
Campbell's® Condensed 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. soy sauce
Dash ground black pepper
4 cups cooked cut green beans
1 1/3 cups French's® French Fried Onions

Directions:
MIX soup, milk, soy, black pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in 1 1/2-qt. casserole.
BAKE at 350°F. for 25 min. or until hot.
STIR . Sprinkle with remaining onions. Bake 5 min.

TIP: Use 1 bag (16 to 20 oz.) frozen green beans, 2 pkg. (9 oz. each) frozen green beans, 2 cans (about 16 oz. each) green beans or about 1 1/2 lb. fresh green beans for this recipe.
--For a change of pace, substitute 4 cups cooked broccoli flowerets for the green beans.
--For a creative twist, stir in 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese with soup. Omit soy sauce. --Sprinkle with 1/4 cup additional Cheddar cheese when adding the remaining onions.
--For a festive touch, stir in 1/4 cup chopped red pepper with soup.
For a heartier mushroom flavor, substitute Campbell's® Condensed Golden Mushroom Soup for Cream of Mushroom Soup. Omit soy sauce. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped red pepper with green beans.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 07:35:47 pm »
Can't say this is my favorite, but it is a "must" for the holidays here in the midwest. We Minnesotans just love a good hot dish.

Hot dish? Sounds very Lut'eran of you. (Unlike those uppity Episcopalians, who'd call it a casserole. ...)

;D  ;)  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 08:07:26 pm »

Leslie, just dance on over to the leftover thread for everyone's favorite casserole...the ultimate hot dish in my book!

And in case anyone didn't realize, this year is the 50th anniversary of Green Bean Casserole.

Leslie

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2006, 11:54:58 am »
FANCY POTATO LATKES

2 cups raw grated potatoes (about 4 small)
1 large or 2 medium eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons flour
1 small onion, grated
1 small or 1/2 medium apple, grated (OPTIONAL)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
cooking oil

Combine the grated potato and onion; drain the liquid out with a colander or squeeze out with cheesecloth or other thin fabric. Combine with all the other ingredients and mix well.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased frying pan and saute at medium-high heat until brown and crisp on each side.

These are especially good eaten with applesauce.