Author Topic: Happy Lunar New Year!  (Read 65 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Happy Lunar New Year!
« on: February 09, 2024, 02:33:00 pm »
This is the first year that Colorado will officially be celebrating the Asian or Lunar New Year. Governor Jared Polis signed the bill setting the first Friday of February as the observance. I have gone to a dim sum place already and had a wonderful lunch. On Monday I'll be having lunch with my mentor from work who is Chinese-American. I'm going to give my grandchildren red envelopes of money ($8 each, because 8 is the most fortuitous number). And I'm displaying all the drawings of dragons that I've made over the years. Do you celebrate? If so, tell us how!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Happy Lunar New Year!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 05:43:58 pm »
This is the first year that Colorado will officially be celebrating the Asian or Lunar New Year. Governor Jared Polis signed the bill setting the first Friday of February as the observance. I have gone to a dim sum place already and had a wonderful lunch. On Monday I'll be having lunch with my mentor from work who is Chinese-American. I'm going to give my grandchildren red envelopes of money ($8 each, because 8 is the most fortuitous number). And I'm displaying all the drawings of dragons that I've made over the years. Do you celebrate? If so, tell us how!

Sorry to report that the only thing I've done for Asian New Year was in 2019, when I was assigned to go hang out at the Mall of America during a celebration with dancers and ask anyone who appeared to be an Asian immigrant or first generation whether they were worried about things back home. One guy showed me a photo on his phone of someone in China walking down the street wearing a face mask. Wow, I could hardly believe it. Either the situation is really bad or Chinese people are really extra super careful, I thought.