Author Topic: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes  (Read 126747 times)

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2018, 08:54:49 pm »
How do you know your son's Scandinavian blood does not come via his Father? My sister had a test done so I think that would be the same as mine. In which case I have 3% Scandinavia in me.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2018, 11:55:47 am »
I don't know that much about DNA testing, but I do know that the results are separated into the maternal haplogroup (X chromosome) and paternal haplogroup (Y chromosome). His (and my) maternal haplogroup is I-4, which is Scandinavian.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2018, 02:27:42 pm »
I don't know that much about DNA testing, but I do know that the results are separated into the maternal haplogroup (X chromosome) and paternal haplogroup (Y chromosome). His (and my) maternal haplogroup is I-4, which is Scandinavian.
Oh, my sister's was not so detailed just said 100% European, 63% West Europe, 22% Ireland, 11% Great Britain, 3% Scandinavia and less than 1% Italy/Greece. She knew I thought it a waste of her money so we have never discussed it, although I have kept the result she emailed :-)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2018, 02:57:10 pm »
This year, I found out via my son's DNA test that I have Scandinavian blood, so I'm making an Icelandic recipe, Red Cabbage and Blueberries:

After making the red cabbage and blueberries, my chopping board looks a lot like some of our colorful sunrises lately!!

So brian, the reason I got my son to take the test was that he has an X chromosome and a Y chromosome, whereas I just have two XXs, so we were able to get more data that way. Most people's chromosomes are structured that way, but not all. There are various companies that do the testing and they provide different results. I just had basic testing done and I'm waiting to learn more about it before I buy more detailed tests. People have all different reasons for having these tests. In my case, I was interested in confirming my ancestry and learning more about my most ancient ancestors. Many people aren't interested in that, and some people think it's dangerous, because it means that outside companies have a lot of information about you. Some people have privacy concerns and others fear that they'll find out something they'd rather not know.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2018, 08:30:23 pm »
This year, I found out via my son's DNA test that I have Scandinavian blood, so I'm making an Icelandic recipe, Red Cabbage and Blueberries:

https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/icelandic-spiced-cabbage-with-blueberries

Actually, I've made this dish several times before for the holidays, even though I didn't know I was a Viking!

I've never heard of this one before!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2020, 03:41:31 pm »

My contributions to Thanksgiving this year.

Part 1.

Italian meatballs

1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced  (optional - I don't use it, I don't like onions very much)
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork

2 eggs
1/4 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes  (optional - some people don't like "heat", so I leave it out)
1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.

Soak bread crumbs in milk in a small bowl for 20 minutes.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onions in hot oil until translucent, about 20 minutes.

Mix beef and pork together in a large bowl. Stir onions, bread crumb mixture, eggs, parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, Italian herb seasoning, and Parmesan cheese into meat mixture with a rubber spatula until combined. Cover and refrigerate for about one hour.

Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

Using wet hands, form meat mixture into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Arrange onto prepared baking sheet.

Bake in the preheated oven until browned and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.

I put the meats in italics because sometimes you can buy what is known as a "meatball/meatloaf" package in the meat section of the supermarket.  It's usually a pound of meat, and a mix of 1 part beef, 1 part pork, and 1 part veal.  You would just buy the two packages of that to make the two pounds.

Authentic (Quick) Italian Tomato Sauce for Pasta (Spaghetti Sauce)

Ingredients

4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 or 5 cloves fresh garlic
small bunch of fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 (28-32 oz) carton/jar of whole, chopped tomatoes or puree
about 1 1/2 level tsp Diamond Crystal Kosher or sea salt
1 tbsp of Italian seasoning
1 tbsp of Oregano
Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano to grate on top

Pour the oil into a large sauté pan (not a deep pot) over medium high heat.
Crush the garlic and add it to the oil (if you want a spicy sauce, you can add some hot pepper, fresh or flakes, at this point). Sauté the garlic until it just starts to brown, then add the parsley.
Turn the heat up to high. Now, add the quality puree (passata) or chopped tomatoes, and quickly cover with the lid for about 30 seconds, until the squirting subsides.
The sauce will thicken quickly, so do not overcook it, and have it become too thick; about 5 to 7 minutes should be sufficient.
Taste the sauce, if it doesn’t taste delicious, it probably just needs a little more salt and you can add some black pepper if you like. Turn off the heat and add the spices and stir well.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2020, 03:45:54 pm »
My contributions to Thanksgiving this year.

Part 2.

5 Ingredient Corn Casserole

1 can of corn, drained  (15 oz)
1 can of creamed corn  (15 oz)
1 cup of sour cream
1 stick of melted butter (1/2 cup)
1 box of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix (9 oz)

Throw all of those ingredients in a bowl and mix them up.   Transfer the mixture to a greased 8×8 baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. The exact baking time will depend on the exact size pan you use, so just be sure to watch the casserole closely. You’ll know it is done when the center is completely set.

This recipe is pretty versatile, and you can add different ingredients that reflect your tastes.  You can had hot sauce, pepper flakes, cheese, or other items and spices.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2023, 12:40:29 pm »
My family now has two Thanksgivings, one on Thursday and one on Friday. So, I'm making bleu cheese and fig savories, an appetizer, for today. I walked away from my computer for a few minutes and the cat pasted 6 pages of Wordle results into the middle of my recipe!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2023, 01:10:13 pm »
My family now has two Thanksgivings, one on Thursday and one on Friday. So, I'm making bleu cheese and fig savories, an appetizer, for today. I walked away from my computer for a few minutes and the cat pasted 6 pages of Wordle results into the middle of my recipe!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/centuries-ago-a-cat-walked-across-this-medieval-manuscript-1766202/

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2023, 03:07:59 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's an age-old problem!!  ::)