Author Topic: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes  (Read 126739 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 02:40:58 pm »
okay, Leslie (mainwriter) asked me to post this recipe over here, when we were in the chatroom and i told her my husband was preparing dinner and i was giving instructions.

I've never written a recipe in english and english is not my native language, so bear with me  ;D

Raie au beurre noire or Raie with browned butter

serves 4

Poach 4 wings (small) or 2 large wings of raie in water with 1 slice of onion added and seasoned with some salt and a few black peppercorns. Depending on the size of the fish, this shoud take about 15 minutes.

prepare the sauce: melt a good (and i mean good, this is no recipe for those who are counting calories) nob of good butter (certainly not margarine) over a hot fire until it browns. Add cappers and, if you like some lemon juice.

Put the fish on a serving dish and pour the sauce over the fish. Serve with mashed potatoes and spinach.
Yummy!!

This was one of my mum's favorites! I get real nostalgic eating this.

smakelijk!  :) (Enjoy)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 02:56:33 pm »
Fabienne, that sounds great.  Did your mum serve this around the holidays?

By the way, we often call raie either "stingray" or "skate".

Bon appetit,
Paul

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 03:24:08 pm »
Fabienne, that sounds great.  Did your mum serve this around the holidays?

By the way, we often call raie either "stingray" or "skate".

Bon appetit,
Paul

no Paul, but leslie said it was okay to post a 'non holiday' dish over here too. Although, if i'm not mistaken, the skate is at its best this time of year. I don't remember eating this during the summer . i thought it was 'skate' but my dictionary told me otherwise, maybe i should get myself a new one  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 03:54:29 pm »

This machine you talk about, would you find it at specialty stores? or do you have to get married to get one?

That means in most places only heterosexual people could have this appliance.  And only those who have gone through a legal ceremony first.  I guess this why there are always toasts at these kind of events.  I wish anyone who wanted one of these gadgets could own one.    :-\

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 04:49:02 pm »
no Paul, but leslie said it was okay to post a 'non holiday' dish over here too. Although, if i'm not mistaken, the skate is at its best this time of year. I don't remember eating this during the summer . i thought it was 'skate' but my dictionary told me otherwise, maybe i should get myself a new one  :)

I believe raie or ray is the Bristish usage, similar to prawns (UK) vs. shrimp (US).

I'll need to look at the fish market. I have actually never cooked skate, but I love seafood. Mashed potatoes and spinach are two of my favorite sides, too.

As for holiday/non recipes...I have posted plenty of the latter. I think the goal is, the more the merrier! That's my take on it, at least.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 04:55:45 pm »
Here on the West Coast of the US, it seems like "prawns" refers to bigger shrimp, and "shrimp" refers to the puny kind of little shrimp.

Offline LazyLJack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Our friend MaineWriter: Read her stuff!
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2006, 09:20:33 am »
This will be on the table on Christmas Eve at the Lazy L:

ROASTED RACK OF VENISON AND SHALLOTS WITH DRIED-CRANBERRY GRAVY

Venison is best served rare to medium, as it is a very lean meat that toughens and develops a strong flavor if overcooked. The following recipe may also be made with a 2 1/2-pound beef fillet.

an 8- to 11 rib (3- to 4-pound) rack of venison, halved to form two 4- to 6-rib racks and any tough membranes trimmed
2 pounds shallots, trimmed and peeled
2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus additional for rubbing the venison
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup red wine
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon juniper berries, crushed lightly
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a roasting pan large enough to hold the venison racks without crowding them, toss the shallots with 2 tablespoons of the oil and salt and pepper to taste and roast them in the middle of the oven, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until they are golden. Pat the venison dry, season it with salt and pepper, and rub it generously with the additional oil. Heat a large heavy skillet over high heat until it is hot and in it sear the venison on all sides. Push the shallots to the sides of the roasting pan, stand the venison racks in the middle of the pan, allowing the bones to rest together, and roast the mixture in the middle of the oven for 23 minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 125°F., for rare meat. Transfer the racks with shallots to a platter and let them stand, covered loosely with foil, for 15 minutes. To the roasting pan add the broth, the wine, the water, and the juniper berries and simmer the mixture, scraping up the brown bits, for 5 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve set over a small saucepan, whisk the cornstarch mixture, and add it to the saucepan with the cranberries, the vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer the gravy, whisking, for 5 minutes. Cut the venison into individual chops and serve it with the shallots and the gravy.

Serves 6.

Enjoy!

Jack
Jack & Ennis
Lazy L Farm
Quanah, TX

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 03:07:42 pm »
That is a tall order to follow, Jack! For Christmas Eve dinner tonight, I wasn't able to get anything fresh because of the Denver blizzard, so I am going to serve a shrimp/scallop empanada with ingredients from my freezer (I did happen to have a couple of tomatoes, and fresh herbs from my sunroom tho.)

Here is a link to the recipe:

http://jumboempanadas.blogspot.com/2006/09/hay-hay-its-donna-day5-or-at-least-it.html
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Kelpersmek's Signature Warmed Crispybread
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 06:47:43 pm »
Excellent recipe, but I found it tedious to prepare.  I do have a toaster so a blowtorch wasn't needed, but I misread your instructions and buttered the toaster instead of the bread.  My second attempt didn't work out either, as I attempted to toast the butter, and then spread the bread on that.  Very unsatisfactory.  Phillip helped me with the third attempt where I held a piece of toasted bread, he held a knife with butter on it, and we ran towards each other.  That worked, and the scars should be healing soon.

But what I found worked best for me was not pretending I could cook and simply buying this in the grocery store.  I found that Kraft Foods now offers "K.C. McToasties."  It's pre-toasted and pre-buttered bread that you simply put in the -microwave.  It's good, but I wish it came in more varieties.  They only have "Light" and "Dark  Their web site says "Medium" is also available, but only in select stores on the West coast.  I guess they're test marketing it now.

==============================================================

This really bears repeating.  I think i have seen it here on the shelves in Portland.  Thanks for the heads up John..
                                                                                                                                  janice

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:44:32 pm by Ellemeno »

Beautiful mind

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
How To Carve The Turkey?
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 08:56:44 am »
According to the New York Times, this is how you do it!

http://video.on.nytimes.com/?fr_story=c8e0efb6c6ee346c3c6bfc1c871d6f5c55e64f14