Author Topic: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes  (Read 126737 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2013, 02:47:24 pm »
Oy, not a good start for Christmas Day (or any day for that matter).
I hope your day improves and today evening you'll fall into your bed tired, but happy. :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2013, 09:04:31 pm »
Thanks friends. It was really not a big deal at all. Christmas is completed, very happy and peaceful. My grandsons loved their presents and the time spent together...does anything else really matter? I prepared the brussels' sprouts just as you advised, very simply with some butter, salt and pepper, and a splash of lemon juice. They were a big hit. I prepared the lamb to 145 degrees and it was perfect. The mashed potatoes were a challenge. When I began whipping them with milk and butter, they were lumpy. I realized that they weren't cooked enough all the way through. So I put them in the microwave for 15 minutes and tried whipping them again. Still lumpy.  I put them in the microwave for 10 more minutes and tried whipping them again. Still lumpy.  I put them in the microwave for 10 more minutes and tried whipping them again. Still lumpy. I then realized that no matter how long I microwaved them they were just not going to cooperate. So, I put my mom's serving through a colander and then the rest of us ate the lumpy mashed potatoes. They tasted fine!

While I was making the gravy I told everyone the funny story about how my in-laws always made gravy. My mother-in-law would be stirring the roux and would instruct her husband to pour in the stock very evenly. Then she would say "pour faster!" and then "pour slower!" and she would stir furiously. The gravy was usually just fine. While I was telling the story, I was stirring with my right hand and pouring the stock with my left hand. I made the gravy and tipped up the pan to show my daughter how it had magically turned into perfect gravy. My husband looked on absently and sipped his wine.  :-\
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2013, 10:21:10 pm »
The lamb is flamed! (Altho no one in the picture seems to look very happy about it. They probably thought the house was about to go up in flames. Oh ye of little faith!)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2013, 09:17:37 am »
made a buffalo chicken dip that was super easy, and everyone loved it.

Chicken breasts
olive oil
water
8 oz package of cream cheese (room temperature)
half cup of hot sauce
shredded cheese

Get one pan and put just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan, and add one cup of water.  Cook the chicken breast in this.

Once the breasts are cool enough to handle, shred them up, enough for two cups worth.

In a mixing bowl mix the cream cheese and hot sauce.  Once smooth, mix in the chicken and some of the shredded cheese.  Pour into a bowl and cover with more shredded cheese, and put in the oven at 300 degrees until the cheese is melted on top.

I used a cassarole pan to bake it, so I doubled the amount of everything, it was still great.

Serve with chips, pita bread, veggies, or other items.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2013, 02:21:21 pm »
That sounds good Chuck. What kind of hot sauce did you use?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2013, 03:14:31 pm »
Frank's Red Hot

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2013, 06:05:07 pm »
Everything sounds delicious!

I'm glad my sprouty advice was of help to you, Lee.

Next time, I'll try a little lemon on them, that's new to me.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2014, 08:21:01 pm »
I heard a great idea on NPR for dressing.  Of course, there's never enough stuffing, so you have to cook some extra outside the turkey.  But, how to get that turkey-juices flavor?

Chris Kimball from America's Test Kitchen suggested this:  cut the wings off the turkey, sauté in a little butter, and place on top of the dressing in a 9x13 glass dish, cover tightly with foil.  Voilà.  Easy turkey flavor. 

Saw this tip just in time! Thank you, Paul!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2014, 09:01:08 pm »
On the radio this morning they were discussing what does and doesn't belong on a Thanksgiving table.

There were people who felt that Thanksgiving meals should be 'traditional' with turkey, potatoes, stuffing, rolls, and so forth.

Then there those who called and said that there should also be room for the foods you make all the time and love, like arroz con gandules, chicken parm, baked ham, and other dishes.

As an Italian, I have to say that there is always pasta and meatballs on our table.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2014, 11:09:44 pm »
There seem to be quite a few people for whom macaroni and cheese is a traditional Thanksgiving dinner element.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.