Author Topic: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes  (Read 126733 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Recipes - Main & Side Dishes
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2007, 07:49:23 pm »
That's interesting -- the stuffing/dressing info.

Not once in all my years has anyone made stuffing at one of our holiday gatherings, so I guess dressing is the southern way to go. My cousin now makes the dressing every year and her bread base is cornbread. It's delicious.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2007, 11:35:03 pm »
Thanks for that dressing recipe, Leslie.  It sounds really good.  I just might make it this weekend, since I had dinner at a friend's house and have been feeling the lack of leftovers!  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2007, 02:17:03 am »
Thanks for that dressing recipe, Leslie.  It sounds really good.  I just might make it this weekend, since I had dinner at a friend's house and have been feeling the lack of leftovers!  :P

I said this in another thread - isn't it totally, unnegotiably de rigueur to send guests home with leftovers from Thanksgiving?  In our family, we divide everything up at the end, so that everyone has some of everything they want.  I wouldn't have someone leave here leftoverless anymore than I would kick em out the door!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2007, 02:21:04 am »
I think you're right, Clarissa!  There oughta be a law....  ;)

I'm not sure, but maybe my friend just forgot to give us some leftover turkey.  We did take home extra breadstuffs and cookies, though, which I need like a hole in the head!  ::)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2007, 02:23:48 am »
I think you're right, Clarissa!  There oughta be a law....  ;)

I'm not sure, but maybe my friend just forgot to give us some leftover turkey.  We did take home extra breadstuffs and cookies, though, which I need like a hole in the head!  ::)

Well, about 4 or 5 times a year I buy the Stouffer's frozen Roast Turkey dinner, a passable assuager.  We didn't have many leftovers yesterday, and I wish we had more.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2007, 11:59:36 am »
For the Yule I am making a special pot roast and wanted to share my recipe with you. I have adapted it from one that was published years ago in Sunset Magazine.

Brown a large pot roast in a heavy large pot in a little olive oil. Remove the browned roast to a deep plate and pour any accumulated juices over it. Add a little more olive oil to the pot and brown two onions, cut into wedges, adding chopped root vegetables such as parsnips and turnips if you so desire. When these are browned, return the roast to the pot and the juices, adding water and a cup of red wine to cover. If you wish, you can add a couple of handfuls of dried fruit such as prunes, apricots, raisins, etc. and whole blanched almonds. Add a couple of bay leaves and season with fines herbs, salt, and pepper. Cover the pot and turn the heat down to simmer as soon as the liquid comes to a boil. One hour before serving, add quartered potatoes and green vegetables such as broccoli, cut in large chunks, and quartered mushrooms. Add water as necessary. Simmer for at least five hours or all night long.   
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Grits and Greens Casserole
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2007, 04:21:16 pm »
This is a true southern dish. The grits are creamy and the collards punch up the flavor of the parmesan cheese

10-12 servings
1¼ hours 20 min prep
2 cups whipping cream or half-and-half cream
8 cups chicken broth, divided
2 cups grits, regular
1 (16 ounce) bag collard greens, frozen
1 cup butter
2 1/2 cups parmesan cheese (shredded or grated)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
1 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled

Grease 13 x 9 baking dish. Bring cream & 6 cups of chicken broth to a boil, stir in grits & cook over medium heat until they return to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover & cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add milk if needed to cook to desire consistency (should resemble slightly runny oatmeal when finished).

Cook collards in remaining 2 cups of chicken broth for 10 minutes. Drain & blot dry with paper towel to remove excess water. Add butter & cheese to grits, stir until butter & cheese melt. Stir in collards. Place in casserole dish, top with crumbled bacon. Bake @ 350 degrees until lightly brown on top.

Disclaimer:  I use instant grits, vegetable broth, spinach, and omit the bacon, so in short, I just wing it...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2007, 05:37:53 pm »
This looks heavenly to me! I musta received a double dose of Southern genes from my mom (she's the one who named me Lee!)

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2007, 06:05:51 pm »
Lee - here's a pic of it after we'd dug in:

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 01:25:23 pm »
Don't know if this has been posted before, but it was on another board I go to and the person said it made his turkey very moist and flavorful - for those still thinking of turkey for the rest of the holidays:

Roasted cider-brined turkey

Chef Jim Hoban suggests brining the turkey in a large plastic tub outdoors, as long as the temperature stays below 40°. Otherwise, you'll have to make room for it in the refrigerator (someone suggesting lining the refrigerator's crisper for this). Hoban starts with a high temperature of 450°, but because of the sugar content of the brine, we found it too-quickly browned the turkey. We reduced the temperature to 375°.

* 6 cups water
    * 1 gallon apple cider
    * 1 cup coarse salt
    * 1 cup light brown sugar
    * 4 apples, cored, sliced
    * 1 turkey, about 12 pounds
    * 6 sprigs fresh thyme
    * 6 sprigs fresh oregano
    * 2 sprigs fresh sage
    * 1 medium onion, halved
    * 5 cloves garlic
    * ½ stick (¼ cup) butter, melted
    * Freshly ground black pepper

1. Combine water, cider, salt, brown sugar and apples in a large pot. Heat to boil over high heat. Remove from heat; cool 1 hour. Transfer to a smaller container if you wish; refrigerate until cold.
   2. Remove giblets from turkey cavity; refrigerate. Place turkey in large tub or cooler; pour brine over to cover. Refrigerate at least 12 hours, turning occasionally.
   3. Heat oven to 375°. Remove turkey from the brine to a rack in a large roasting pan; pat dry. Stuff cavity with fresh herbs, onion halves and garlic. Brush turkey with melted butter; season with pepper. Roast 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°; tent with foil. Roast until thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the thigh reads 175°, about 2½ to 3 hours. Let rest 20 minutes before carving.

I find that 375 is too low to brown the skin in 30 minutes, but whatever you try, be prepared to tinfoil individual sections as they brown to avoid burning the skin.