Author Topic: Recipes - Cookies, Pies, Cakes, and Other Sweets  (Read 148568 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Recipes - Cookies, Pies, Cakes, and Other Sweets
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2011, 12:54:30 pm »
Speaking of baking things, there was an interesting segment on the Weather Channel this morning about the need to adjust recipes for altitude--not just baking time or, perhaps, temperature, but also the amounts of ingredients as altitude increases.

The reporter went into various adjustments--of course she went too fast for anyone to note them--but I guess the upshot is, for example, if FRiend Lee were to bake my favorite chocolate cake recipe, she might have to make small changes in the amount of, say, the flour.

I'd never thought of this. I knew that it takes water longer to boil at high altitudes than at sea level (I think I have that correct  ::) ), but I'd never thought of a need to adjust the amount of ingredients.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2011, 10:59:48 am »
Yes, I do have to adjust recipes for cakes, muffins and the like. I add in a little extra flour and bake longer at a lower temperature. If not, the cake might fall in the middle. But, in that case, I just apply extra icing, and keep the lights low!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2013, 11:26:26 am »
My almost-three-year-old grandson is coming for dinner tomorrow...shall I whip up some ambrosia? Shall I make him eat it for two weeks?  :laugh:

My daughter confessed on Thanksgiving that she doesn't really care for pumpkin pie. So, I'm whipping up a surprise for her for tomorrow...the pie will be cranberry with chocolate ganache on the bottom! Let me know if you'd like me to post the recipe. It is a King Arthur Flour recipe (although there's no flour in it). In addition, I'm making a chai spice cake with molasses buttercream. Yummy!

I miss our recipe organizer, Marcia!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2014, 09:22:33 pm »
bumping this thread.....I've been invited to a New Year's party, and asked to bring a dessert.

I'll review for ideas, but I'm thinking I'll bring some brownies, everyone seems to like those.  I'll bring some regular brownies, and some white chocolate ones.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2014, 09:29:00 pm »

White Chocolate Brownies:

6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
8 ounces of white chocolate (or one cup of white chocolate chips)
2 eggs
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 tablespoon of vanilla
1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350.

Grease and flour an 8 inch square baking pan, or line with foil.  Melt butter and 4 ounces of the white chocolate in top of a double boiler over hot water.  When melted, remove from heat and add the other 4 ounces of white chocolate, stir to blend well.  Set aside.  Beat the eggs and sugar until pale and smooth.  Add white chocolate and butter mixture, vanilla and flour.  Beat just until smooth.  Add semisweet chips and stir by hand, being carefull not to over-mix.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack, cut into squares.

My own little "twist", I melted some of the excess white chocolate I had and drizled them over the top.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2014, 06:01:22 pm »
White chocolate is an abomination, imho.  8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2014, 07:33:34 pm »
At the supermarket today, an extra piece of paper came out of the register and the operator looked at it and said "you have won a baking cook book, take this to the Service desk" At the service desk the woman said "Sorry we have run out" I said "Doesn't matter, I have never baked anything in  my life" She laughed.  ;D

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2014, 02:31:53 pm »
Maybe it could have got you started, Brian!  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2014, 02:52:53 pm »
White chocolate is an abomination, imho.  8)

NO kind of chocolate is an abomination, IMHO.  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2014, 04:14:50 pm »
Some authorities, including Joy of Baking, say that white chocolate shouldn't be considered as chocolate because it does not contain chocolate liquor. But it does contain cocoa butter, except for certain inferior products that substitute vegetable fat. And that definitely is an abomination, or, as I like to say, a GDBOAUS!