Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 150389 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2020, 06:01:39 pm »
...remember the celebrity chef Paul Prudhomme? He as in NOLA, too, and always said he thought Popeye's had the best red beans and rice in town, which is saying a lot in NOLA.

Oh, yes, I remember him. My then-husband and I were at the Aspen Food & Wine Festival and hubby had commissioned Prudhomme to create a drink with Beefeater Gin which he was the brand director of. (It didn't take a lot of work: a chili pepper and gin in a martini glass.) I was standing next to the great chef waiting for him to sign his latest book and he motioned me closer to his wheelchair. I gave him the book which he put in his lap and then he put his hand up my dress! I jumped up and back so hard I hit hubby in the chin and he actually got a bruise. He was so mad at me and I couldn't say anything in my defense until we were away from the party!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2020, 06:18:41 pm »
I was driven to order a frozen turkey  :o and I also ordered some turkey "tenderloins". Are those the same as the thighs you're cooking, Paul?

I'd guess that tenderloins are some kinda white meat.  Turkey thighs are bone in and skin on; much larger than a chicken thigh, one per person is plenty. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2020, 06:24:47 pm »
Oh, okay. Well, they were one of the two things that were out of stock anyway. And the other out-of-stock thing was turkey bacon! Other than that, my grocery order turned out pretty well. I think I'll follow Chuck's method through the holidays. The grocery store was pretty crowded.  :-\

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2020, 07:17:52 pm »
I gave him the book which he put in his lap and then he put his hand up my dress! I jumped up and back so hard I hit hubby in the chin and he actually got a bruise. He was so mad at me and I couldn't say anything in my defense until we were away from the party!

:o  Whoa! Too bad you couldn't #metoo him back then.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2020, 07:23:49 pm »
Well, I just ordered a fresh turkey from an artisanal butcher shop -- it comes from some farm near here -- and there was no problem. Most of the ones under 10 lbs are already claimed, so I had to order "10 pounds or less." I ran the figures through a turkey calculator and it suggested 6 lbs. Since my sons are in their 20s and workout constantly, they get really hungry, so I figured maybe 7-8. Turns out the smallest they had left at this point are 10.

Oh well, it freezes well and I'll probably find it handy to have there sometime in the future for a dinner emergency. And it's not expensive, surprisingly.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2020, 07:27:10 pm »
the other out-of-stock thing was turkey bacon!

I wonder if they diverted turkey that would normally be used for other products into Thanksgiving turkey. Strange if they could see that far ahead. Also, I don't remember if turkey was among the packing plants that had COVID outbreaks. I think it was just pork, at least in this state. And that seems as plentiful as ever in the stores.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2020, 08:31:43 pm »
:o  Whoa! Too bad you couldn't #metoo him back then.

In those days, you couldn't call anybody out, you just had to stand it.  :'(

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2020, 08:39:58 pm »
In those days, you couldn't call anybody out, you just had to stand it.  :'(

If you can't fix it ...  :'(

That was what was remarkable about #metoo. It just flipped everything around really quickly. Hope it lasts.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #208 on: November 14, 2020, 02:08:31 pm »
Yup. And as the Wikipedia entry says, cream of mushroom soup is often a key ingredient. I believe the hotdish in the picture is the aforementioned tater-tot version.

That list where I got the hotdish reference also includes the entry that you might be Lutheran if you think cream of mushroom soup should be called Lutheran Binder. I'm not sure if that's a reference to its use in recipes, or if it means it constipates you.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #209 on: November 14, 2020, 02:10:54 pm »
I wonder if they diverted turkey that would normally be used for other products into Thanksgiving turkey. Strange if they could see that far ahead. Also, I don't remember if turkey was among the packing plants that had COVID outbreaks. I think it was just pork, at least in this state. And that seems as plentiful as ever in the stores.

In Delaware it was poultry--specifically chicken--plants. Poultry is big business down on the Delmarva peninsula.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.