Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 150475 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 03:46:01 pm »
Stuffing made with bread, onions, salt, pepper, chicken broth and lots of butter

What?  No celery???  ;)

Homemade cranberry sauce (use the recipe on the bag; it's easy)

I was gonna use a pretty easy-looking one I found in November's "Real Simple" magazine, but now that you mention it, I'll take a look-see.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 04:54:30 pm »
Brussel sprouts with chestnuts (I loathe this dish and refuse to eat or make, so my mother always gets stuck with the job)

Oooh, sounds good to me! Heh heh heh. I l-o-o-o-v-e Brussels sprouts!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 05:06:04 pm »
Oooh, sounds good to me! Heh heh heh. I l-o-o-o-v-e Brussels sprouts!  ;D

Well I won't. or don't. or whatever! LOL
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 05:36:45 pm »
I love Brussels sprouts, too.  But I love lima beans even more.  I think it's quite possible Jeff and I may be the only people who fall into both categories.  Basically, with the exception of olives, I have never met a vegetable I didn't like.
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 11:58:59 pm »
I love Brussels sprouts, too.  But I love lima beans even more.  I think it's quite possible Jeff and I may be the only people who fall into both categories.  Basically, with the exception of olives, I have never met a vegetable I didn't like.

OMG, somebody else who likes lima beans!  ;D

For me, it's pretty much the case that if it's a vegetable and you can put butter and salt on it, I'll eat it.  ;D

I only recently acquired a taste for olives, however.

Barb, how do you feel about turnips? Not for Thanksgiving, but in general?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 12:12:24 am »
I like lima beans, if they're made from dry beans and not the frozen ones. And I like Brussels sprouts, if they're fresh and not frozen.

In fact, I made Brussels sprouts just tonight!

Here's my recipe, beloved by 3 out of 4 family members: Wash and trim sprouts, cut into quarters. Melt butter in small wok-shaped pan given to you by your mother-in-law years ago. Keep heat high. Put Brussels sprouts in pan and toss to coat with melted butter. Let them cook, stirring occasionally, until they're tender and singed or even kind of blackened around the edges. The more burny looking, the better (within reason).

Yum! They're also good stir-fried in sesame oil.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 12:19:51 am »
Barb, how do you feel about turnips? Not for Thanksgiving, but in general?

Turnips are my friend.  Especially if you boil the bejesus out of them and then put butter and salt on 'em. 
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 12:22:16 am »
I like lima beans, if they're made from dry beans and not the frozen ones. And I like Brussels sprouts, if they're fresh and not frozen.

I won't touch frozen Brussels sprouts. The only frozen Brussel sprouts I ever had were just plain icky.  :P

I'll take lima beans either way. Mother served the green limas, either fresh or frozen, with butter sauce, and she used dried limas to cook with potatoes and ham hocks.

Now I'm hoping I can convert my dad to the joys of fresh broccoli, instead of frozen. ...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 12:24:52 am »
Turnips are my friend.  Especially if you boil the bejesus out of them and then put butter and salt on 'em. 

Yum!  ;D That's what my mother always did, adding potatoes and carrots to the turnips. She usually served up a great big dish of that mixture, with pork chops for the meat.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 12:27:44 am »
Homemade cranberry sauce (use the recipe on the bag; it's easy)

It is easy and good, but use extreme caution!!  The first year I tried it, I had cranberries exploding all over the stovetop.  Too hot, or no lid, or some such issue!   :P
"Laß sein. Laß sein."