Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 150372 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2010, 02:42:37 am »
Here's the Christmas menu for tomorrow:

Drinks with Joey's gougeres (extraordinary cheese puffs), patés--venison and mousse truffée.

Savenor's Market best rack of lamb crusted with juniper berries, garlic, rosemary, black pepper, dijon mustard, breadcrumbs. Rosy rare.
Gratin of potato and celery root.
Little haricots verts.

Barolo for wine.

Again, homemade mincemeat pies, because everyone loves them.
Very strong coffee.
Dark chocolate covered orange peel from La Maison du Chocolat.
10 year tawny port, Taylor Fladgate.

Wow.  And Barolo, too.  You are definitely going to have a Merry Christmas, Paul!  8) :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2010, 05:47:22 am »

Drinks with Joey's gougeres (extraordinary cheese puffs), patés--venison and mousse truffée.

Savenor's Market best rack of lamb crusted with juniper berries, garlic, rosemary, black pepper, dijon mustard, breadcrumbs. Rosy rare.
Little haricots verts.

Barolo for wine.

Very strong coffee.

You know, if there weren't already a thousand other reasons, your culinary skills and gourmet disposition would be reason enough to marry you. The guys ought to queue up! I know I would. And I would happily gain another 10 pounds, lol. :laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2010, 08:55:40 am »

Little haricots verts.

Barolo for wine.

Very strong coffee.

Sounds divine.

(barring the wine and coffee, of course  ;D)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2010, 11:16:45 pm »
Here's what I ended up serving today:

First, for brunch, I arranged on the sideboard yogurt (several varieties, including limited editions of cranberry apple, pumpkin pie, etc.) fresh fruit, including pineapple, grapefruit, pear, kiwi, strawberries, and blueberries, cinnamon rolls, juice, and strata (an Italian dish consisting of eggs, milk, fresh nutmeg, bread, spinach, poached shredded chicken, and cheese.

Then, after a break to open presents, I served appetizers including pumpkin seeds, hummus with crusty bread, deviled eggs and trout baked in salt “La Sara”. This is the abode of Nathalie Waag, a partner of Julia Child. I often prepare recipes of hers. The entree included Stuffed Mushrooms in tomato sauce, roast Lamb with garlic/bay/clove boats and Cumberland Sauce, Tabouli Salad, Sweet-sour Onions, artichoke and preserved lemons garnishing the lamb, Semolina cakes and Cranberry Sauce. The dessert was mince cranberry pie with Vanilla Ice Cream, crystallized ginger, and butterscotch Cookies.

The wine we served was not special. It was a Kendall Jackson 2006 Syrah. It complemented the lamb well.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2010, 11:01:59 am »
Wow.  And Barolo, too.  You are definitely going to have a Merry Christmas, Paul!  8) :-*

Thanks, Meryl.  Everything turned out great.  The Barolo was a real find--inexpensive and good!  I hope yours was merry too.

You know, if there weren't already a thousand other reasons, your culinary skills and gourmet disposition would be reason enough to marry you. The guys ought to queue up! I know I would. And I would happily gain another 10 pounds, lol. :laugh:

Haha!  Thanks, Chrissi.   :-*

Sounds divine.

(barring the wine and coffee, of course  ;D)

Wine and coffee are essential!

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2010, 11:02:53 am »
So, Lee, how was the pie?

I just had a piece for breakfast.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2010, 07:06:18 pm »
Thanks, Meryl.  Everything turned out great.  The Barolo was a real find--inexpensive and good!  I hope yours was merry too

It was indeed merry.  Our circle of close friends gathered at my friend Leslie's and had a yummy brunch and exchanged presents.  I made a coffee cake from the Weight Watchers website that got raves.  Then I trekked to Brooklyn to the home of a colleague and had another great meal and got to meet his four new kittens (he and his partner were too soft-hearted to not adopt the whole litter).  Very nice!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2010, 07:40:24 pm »
So, Lee, how was the pie?

It was excellent...especially the extra-macerated raisins I fortified it with! I served it with vanilla ice cream sprinkled with crystallized ginger. Those little sprinkles really made the dessert truly special!! Thanks again for the advice!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
New Year's Holiday Menu
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2010, 03:39:30 pm »
New Years again.

I got my black-eyed peas, collard greens, sausage (instead of ham) and I'll be picking up some bread after I work out tonight.  Not cornbread though.

Anyone else?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: New Year's Holiday Menu
« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2010, 05:15:10 pm »
New Years again.

I got my black-eyed peas, collard greens, sausage (instead of ham) and I'll be picking up some bread after I work out tonight.  Not cornbread though.

Anyone else?

I bought boneless pork chops at the grocery store this morning. I already had potatoes for mashed potatoes and a can of sauerkraut, so I'll have my pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes.

Technically, I guess, for me to be a good Pennsylvania Dutchman, it should be roast pork with sauerkraut, instead of baked pork chops, but I have yet to roast anything in my life, and I'm not inclined to start tomorrrow!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.