Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 150351 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2012, 07:18:29 pm »
Happy Christmas Eve Eve! I'll bet I know what a lot of my friends are doing at this time...cooking, prepping and being domestic gods and goddesses! A funny thing happened as I was reviewing this thread. I was going to write "I think I'll make a different kind of pie this year...mincemeat." But then I noticed that I have made mincemeat pie of one kind or other at least two times before and written about it!! I will certainly put shavings of crystallized ginger over the top of the vanilla ice cream on the pie as Paul suggested lo these many years ago!

So far I have made the cornbread for the stuffing (a turkey is brining in the garage) and I just may cook the stuffing in the crock pot as Meryl suggested. I've also made the cranberry dressing. Susan Stamberg's mother in law's cranberry dressing, whose recipe she repeats every year on NPR as a tradition. I've made the pastry for the mincemeat pie and I'm working on lemon shortbread cookies with lavender and also Greek grape molasses cookies. For the latter, I had to steal a fourth cup of bourbon from my husband's barrel of home-made moonshine, dump in a half teaspoon of baking soda and let it ferment for a while. Okay, it's time for your holiday menu countdown update!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #131 on: December 24, 2012, 12:54:33 pm »
Your meal sounds yummy and creative as usual, Lee!  Hope the stuffing works out to your satisfaction.  8)

I'm attempting my first standing rib roast tomorrow.  It was expensive as heck, so I hope I do it right!  Accompaniments are mushroom gravy, rolls, baked potatoes, salad and veggie brought by a guest, and pumpkin and lemon meringue pies.

Bon appetit, everyone!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #132 on: December 24, 2012, 01:02:33 pm »
Mmm, I'm getting hungry! 

Lemon shortbread with lavender sounds terrific, Lee.

Good luck, Priestess, with the rib roast.

I'm sticking with my tradition, more or less, this year.  Rack of lamb with a mustard-juniper-garlic-rosemary crust, potato and celery root gratin, sauteed (almost charred) brussel sprouts, haricots verts, followed by my mother's mincemeat pies and Joey's famous fruitcake. 

Oh, and I have crock of Harrod's stilton, a souvenir of my London trip. With port and walnuts. 

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #133 on: December 24, 2012, 01:32:19 pm »
Meryl, I know your standing rib roast will be perfect! Do you use one of those oven thermometers that have a sensor that goes into the meat? I use one and it has served me well through many a meal. I tried using it one time along with the little pop-up timer that goes on the turkey, and I would have had overdone, dry turkey if I had relied on the latter!

On stuffing, people are so funny, because they dribble chicken broth on the stuffing to "moisten" it and then they are upset because the stuffing is shmushy rather than crispy! I never put water or broth on mine, simply some good butter and/or olive oil. Currently the stuffing's all cut up and ready to go into the crock pot, and my hands (and my computer keyboard) smell like rosemary and sage!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #134 on: December 24, 2012, 01:45:35 pm »
Lee, I bought a thermometer yesterday that is long enough to get to the middle of the roast.  Fingers crossed that it works!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2012, 03:48:34 am »
Good luck to everyone for your Christmas menus!
We had our traditional pork loin wrapped in bacon and baked in the oven in a cream cheese with herbs and sour cream sauce. Goes with noodles. Helen was allowed to eat the same. It's Christmas and I think two exceptions in December are okay.
We passed on the also traditional ice-cream dessert because Helen had asked us to, so the dessert was coffee and a game of crazy8s :).

Today we'll be at my in-laws. I don't know what my MIL will have for us but hope for something good. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2012, 04:53:54 pm »
Well, I suppose your Christmas is just about over, Chrissi! I hope you and your family had a very happy one. I just finished making Tamarind Spiced Chickpeas and Spinach while waiting for the turkey to be done. It looks and smells wonderful! That's one of the best things about Christmas...the wonderful aromas.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #137 on: December 25, 2012, 05:11:48 pm »
Well, I suppose your Christmas is just about over, Chrissi! I hope you and your family had a very happy one.

Thank you very much, we did and still do. Christmas is not over here in Germany. We celebrate three days long, starting on Dec. 24th.
Two of three Christmas days are over, but tomorrow is another national holiday. Todays was in-laws, tomorrow is my family. :)

I just finished making Tamarind Spiced Chickpeas and Spinach while waiting for the turkey to be done. It looks and smells wonderful! That's one of the best things about Christmas...the wonderful aromas.

And you should be in the midst of celebrating right now! Hope you also have a lovely time with your family! :-*

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2015, 01:34:31 pm »
Quick! Before the memory grows dim, please reprise your holiday menus here!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2015, 01:51:46 pm »
OK, I'll go:  a nice sunny day, very warm, with windows open!

Appetizers:
-my friend Laurence's homemade chopped liver
-a fresh Brillat-Savarin cheese
-Joey's homemade gougeres (cheese puffs, yum)

Dinner:
-roast rack of lamb with mustard/garlic/rosemary/juniper berry crust
-simple string beans
-thinly sliced and charred brussel sprouts with cumin and coriander
-potato, leek and celery root gratin
-a lovely Rhone wine from my sister

Dessert:
-Joey's famous stollen
-my sister's macaroons
-mini mincemeat pies

After dinner:
-20-year tawny port