Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 150353 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2019, 03:58:15 pm »
A colorful slaw, that's what I'm after. My menu this Thanksgiving is shaping up to be something of a Southern feast, complete with spiced peaches.

I've got carrots, tart apples, and red cabbage to put in the slaw. What else do I need?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2019, 04:08:31 pm »
How is a slaw different from a salad?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2019, 04:51:23 pm »
They both typically have raw ingredients, but the slaw usually has ingredients that are in smaller pieces, often grated. The slaw also has a dressing, often a creamy tart mayonnaise/sour cream dressing. Salads in America usually have a lighter dressing applied at the table.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2019, 04:56:04 pm »
A colorful slaw, that's what I'm after. My menu this Thanksgiving is shaping up to be something of a Southern feast, complete with spiced peaches.

I've got carrots, tart apples, and red cabbage to put in the slaw. What else do I need?

A spicy vinaigrette (which I prefer to creamy white dressing) or a chipotle ranch? A sprinkling of toasted sliced almonds, walnuts, pepitos or other nuts? Finely chopped kale? Slivered poblano? Shaved Brussels sprouts, lightly blanched or roasted?

(Just thinkin' out loud.)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2019, 06:44:34 pm »
These are inspired ideas, friend! I will use all except the poblanos which would drive my white bread relatives screaming out of my house! Thank you!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2019, 06:55:36 pm »
They both typically have raw ingredients, but the slaw usually has ingredients that are in smaller pieces, often grated. The slaw also has a dressing, often a creamy tart mayonnaise/sour cream dressing. Salads in America usually have a lighter dressing applied at the table.

I see. Thanks Lee!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2019, 11:50:13 am »
These are inspired ideas, friend! I will use all except the poblanos which would drive my white bread relatives screaming out of my house! Thank you!

Glad you liked the ideas. Now I'm in the mood to bring a slaw. But I'm bringing my usual sweet-potato pie. My son was talking about bringing something, possibly a salad, so I'll suggest this.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2019, 06:58:15 pm »
How is a slaw different from a salad?

A salad.

A slaw

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #158 on: November 27, 2019, 03:03:02 pm »
Thanks Chuck, but the slaw doesn't show up. I can't get the link to work in a search either. Dunno why.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #159 on: November 27, 2019, 03:36:58 pm »
We generally say coleslaw rather than just slaw. I notice that, in deli counters here in NZ, they often have it labelled kiwi slaw but I still ask for coleslaw and that is what I am given, cannot find any difference. I have never made it myself but buy it almost every week, all year.  It is just cabbage and carrot and perhaps something else (onion?). Now that summer is finally here, I will begin buying salads. I love Greek salad which I buy already prepared but I do grow lettuces and buy tomatoes and cucumbers to make a salad as well. I have given up on growing my own tomatoes this year.  In previous years I have planted in October and lucky if i get a few ripening in March. The lady at the Farmers market told me that as I live in a higher suburb, I really need a greenhouse.