Author Topic: Holiday Menus  (Read 150357 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: Holiday Menus
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2020, 04:51:35 pm »
I had ordered frozen, crinkle cut carrots with substitution allowed but they were out of frozen carrots, period. Fortunately, I do know how to process fresh carrots!

I see. I was thinking of fresh carrots, and tried to come up with another veggie that could substitute them, but couldn't find one.
Of course, parsnips could be an alternative, depending on what you were planning to use them for.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2020, 09:28:36 pm »
How weird that carrots are in short supply! I might try to substitute squash. i realize we kind of categorize these differently, but they offer similar nutrients and flavors. Unless, of course, you're thinking of using raw carrots to dip in hummus or something like that, which wouldn't work with any squashes I know. But cooked, it might work -- roasted slices of butternut squash instead of roasted carrots.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2020, 10:55:28 pm »
Well, not long to Thanksgiving now.

I hope everyone has what they need.   I need to go out tomorrow and get some milk and garlic, but other than that, I am ready to go.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #233 on: November 23, 2020, 11:03:53 pm »
What would be a substitute for carrots I wonder.

Parsnips?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2020, 01:25:18 pm »
I'm compiling a list. I hope I can still order it for pickup.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2020, 02:50:10 pm »
Parsnips?

Yup, that's what I was thinking too.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2020, 06:41:07 pm »
Evening everyone!

Marinara sauce is done,  sausage is cooking in the oven, and the meatball mix is chilling in the fridge for about an hour.

Corn casserole will be made tomorrow.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #237 on: November 25, 2020, 09:15:03 pm »
I picked up my turkey today from a local butcher shop -- fresh, from some farm nearby. Then I saw a NYT recipe for "easy turkey" that suggested a dry brine -- rub the turkey with salt, pepper and lemon zest, seal it in a plastic bag with garlic and bunches of fresh herbs. So I did all that. But the recipe calls for brining it from 1 to 3 days, and I just finished applying the brine part now. Still, that would almost work, except that it also recommends taking the turkey out of the bag and leave it uncovered in the fridge for four hours to make the skin crispy, then taking out for an hour to bring it to room temperature. All of that is not possible unless we're going to eat at midnight, so I'm going to have to cut some corners.

I kind of wish I'd bought the pre-brined fresh turkey at the grocery store instead.

Now I have a dilemma. The turkey came with a little piece of plastic jammed into the opening that I think is there to keep it in the right shape. It's not easy to pull out, although I'm sure I could get it out if I cut it. The question is, am I supposed to remove it before cooking? Would it melt in the stove? Or if I take it out will the turkey collapse in on itself or something?

I may have to call the Butterball hotline tomorrow -- if they don't mind helping someone with a non-Butterball turkey!  :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #238 on: November 25, 2020, 10:02:03 pm »
Side dishes are going to be mashed rutabagas, which my ex-husband, who will be here, always wants because his mom makes them. I like them myself and they're easy, so that's fine. I also got potatoes -- don't know if we'll oven roast them or also mash them or what.

My epicurean son suggested green beans (haricots verts) with bacon and almonds for a side dish. And instead of cranberry sauce, he proposed I could make this salad I always used to make with butter lettuce, dried cranberries, pecans and chevre in a vinaigrette. That sounded fine to me.

Then my traditionalist son comes home and wants regular cranberry sauce and green-bean casserole. So I acquiesced to both. The green-bean casserole is easy, at least, as is the cranberry sauce. I got sauce as opposed to the jelly kind where it slushes out of the can in one piece and you can still see the seams of the can. I used to make my own orange-cranberry sauce from scratch with fresh cranberries, but that's not happening this year.

All of those foods were in the same aisle -- cranberry sauce, green beans, cream of mushroom soup, fried onions to top the casserole.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #239 on: November 26, 2020, 10:48:06 am »
... The turkey came with a little piece of plastic jammed into the opening that I think is there to keep it in the right shape. It's not easy to pull out, although I'm sure I could get it out if I cut it. The question is, am I supposed to remove it before cooking? Would it melt in the stove? Or if I take it out will the turkey collapse in on itself or something?

Yes, you have to remove the plastic thingy. First slide the "ankles" out from under, and then the tail, unfold it, and then the rest of it pops out. I hate those plastic things and they are so disrespectful to the turkey! Let us know of any other questions, or call me. I'm not celebrating today, we're getting together tomorrow.

Looking good, Chuck! Your Italian Thanksgiving will be amazing!
"chewing gum and duct tape"