Author Topic: The Day After: Great Recipes for the Leftovers  (Read 57651 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The Day After: Great Recipes for the Leftovers
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 08:27:18 pm »
Okay, how about the week after? There was a package of smoked salmon and a wonderful head of golden cauliflower that I didn't have time to deal with during the holidays...they are about to become a wonderful meal for me and me only!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 05:28:15 pm »
Yum! I love smoked salmon and cauliflower, but I've never had them together.

What did you make from them, Lee?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 08:38:37 pm »
It's leftover time.  Reheated turkey is usually a sad affair, and I don't care for the traditional turkey sandwich. 

Of course, I made turkey soup on Thursday night with the carcass and lots of veggies and herbs (I like to stud an onion with a couple of cloves).  I like to strain it and just eat it plain with chopped parsley; it's heaven on a cold day. 

Tonight, I decided to make a turkey pot pie.  So easy.  Just shred the turkey.  Sauté leeks, shallots, celery, carrots and mushrooms in butter and add some herbs.  Make a sauce velouté (it's just a béchamel made with turkey stock instead of milk).  Assemble and top with frozen puff pastry.  I can't wait!

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 08:41:27 pm »
I also had too much bread for stuffing, so I made a raspberry pecan bread pudding.  I soaked the old bread cubes in milk, added eggs beaten with sugar and vanilla, cinnamon and allspice.  Toss together, spread in a buttered dish and stud the top with chopped pecans and raspberries (they were on sale today--two for $3!).  Of course, you must serve this with bourbon sauce!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 12:39:16 am »
Yum! I'm taking the Pioneer Woman's suggestions and making Turkey Tetzrazini and Turkey Spring Rolls.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 08:03:42 pm »
I actually didn't get any leftovers this year.  LOL

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 08:57:07 pm »
That's the downside of being a guest. It helps to put some tupperware in your car and casually mention that you have it as the dinner concludes.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2014, 11:19:00 pm »
That's the downside of being a guest. It helps to put some tupperware in your car and casually mention that you have it as the dinner concludes.

Our cousin always used to send my dad and me home from Thanksgiving with enough leftovers for two dinners apiece.  :-\

I had enough left over from my own patched-together Thanksgiving dinner for two more dinners. I'm planning to have turkey, stuffing, and gravy for supper this Friday.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 06:50:58 pm »

Well, my mom always gives out left overs.  However, this year she gave them all to my sister-in-law's brother.  He's not in the best place financially, so I think it made mom feel better to give him all the food, so she knows he's eaten.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 03:43:00 pm »
I also had too much bread for stuffing, so I made a raspberry pecan bread pudding.  I soaked the old bread cubes in milk, added eggs beaten with sugar and vanilla, cinnamon and allspice.  Toss together, spread in a buttered dish and stud the top with chopped pecans and raspberries (they were on sale today--two for $3!).  Of course, you must serve this with bourbon sauce!

Friend, I'm assuming you bake the pudding after putting it in a buttered dish and before studding it with the pecans and raspberries. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm getting ready to make this dish in the next day or two!

I'm also making sweet potato ravioli with leftover yams and won ton wrappers. It's a recipe from the Pioneer Woman: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2014/11/pumpkin-ravioli/