Author Topic: Saw the Hand Holdin'.  (Read 31172 times)

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
Re: Saw the Hand Holdin'.
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2006, 02:03:32 pm »
What Proulx meant by "he would have none of it" was that Ennis went "full throttle" not halfway whenever he did something, so when Jack provided the opportunity to "sin" he would not go only halfway with his hand but instead put all of himself into it.

Good point, yeah, I got the "full throttle" thing, but what throws me still is... " Ennis jerked his hand away as though he'd touched fire," ... that makes me think that he wanted "none of it"....meaning he didn't want to have sex with a guy, but you may be right Front Ranger.  It's still a bit odd to me, but thanks man.

Rayn

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2006, 02:39:11 pm »
Yes. "Deepened intimacy" is Americanese for reaching back and grabbing somebody's left hand and placing it on your genitals. What, you've never heard that one, Chris?

Hahahaha Yeh Chris, have you gone dotty?!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 05:56:00 pm by Ray »
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2006, 02:47:27 pm »
Now boys... come on.. lay off Aussie Chris.   He's ok, a pretty good guy, least he's been ok to me.  Cut him some slack, huh?

Rayn

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2006, 04:22:33 pm »
Now boys... come on.. lay off Aussie Chris.   He's ok, a pretty good guy, least he's been ok to me.  Cut him some slack, huh?

Rayn

Chris is a great guy, one of the nicest people here. I wasn't teasing him.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2006, 05:08:48 pm »
All right then... I'm happy too.

Rayn

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2006, 07:22:02 pm »
All right then... I'm happy too.

Aw shucks, thanks everyone.  And Katherine, I laughed when I read this (I was even thinking the same thing):

Yes. "Deepened intimacy" is Americanese for reaching back and grabbing somebody's left hand and placing it on your genitals. What, you've never heard that one, Chris?

You too Ray, you cheeky sod! ;)
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2006, 06:00:19 am »
I love non-American English speakers for expressions like "cheeky sod."  :)

A thought on Ennis' state of arousal: not that it has ever been mentioned anywhere by any of the writers BUT, it seems like they've been asleep for awhile and they had been drinking so it's possible that Ennis had one of those early morning full-bladder erections in the middle of the night.  So maybe it wouldn't take too much for the clear slick to be produced in an already erect penis.  Just looking for answers.

I also like the suggestion of merely being in the tent together as being enough to get aroused, even if asleep.  It was obviously enough for Jack.

This sort of reminds me of a tradition in comic book letters pages wherein if a reader sees an obvious mistake in a storyline, they get a special mention if, when mentioning the mistake, they also provide an explanation for it.   ;)

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2006, 01:46:53 pm »
I also like the suggestion of merely being in the tent together as being enough to get aroused, even if asleep.  It was obviously enough for Jack.

how many of you have played that game, when sitting together with someone you like, you lightly touch knees, or brush your arms against his/hers, wait to see if they move or reciprocate. There's a scene in Billy's Hollywood Screen Kisses, where the two men play this out in bed. I totally think that Jack and Ennis was playing this before Jack finally grabbed Ennis's hand. Some one way back on IMBD said that the scene showed quite a bit of tent floor to Jack's right, suggesting that he scooted close to Ennis, rubbing up against him during the night. It's a very likely explanation of how that scene began.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2006, 02:44:37 pm »
Some one way back on IMBD said that the scene showed quite a bit of tent floor to Jack's right, suggesting that he scooted close to Ennis, rubbing up against him during the night. It's a very likely explanation of how that scene began.

Sure, the camera focuses on the amount of extra floor space in the tent after cutting back inside following the moonlight shot.  I definitely think Jack deliberately cuddled up.
 :D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2006, 06:18:08 pm »
Sure, the camera focuses on the amount of extra floor space in the tent after cutting back inside following the moonlight shot.  I definitely think Jack deliberately cuddled up.

It's funny, when I see them together they don't look that much closer, but I always assume the camera focusing on the empty space is supposed to be a tipoff.

how many of you have played that game, when sitting together with someone you like, you lightly touch knees, or brush your arms against his/hers, wait to see if they move or reciprocate.

Cute description! Yes, you're probably right. And by the way, this is how I read the scene where they push each other after Ennis shoots the elk.