Author Topic: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?  (Read 278308 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2010, 10:08:40 pm »
Mama has been sleeping most of the afternoon/evening...I don't know if she'll wake up in time for much.  She's not taking any new medicines; I don't know why she's sleeping so much. 

I expect she didn't bounce back from that angiogram as fast as I would have wanted, and I also think she's depressed about being here.  She misses Billy.  The cats give her lots of joy, though.  She's always fussing at Chris or me - have we fed them, when did we give them water, has Obie had his shot (poor kitty), don't we have treats for them?

8) :P

I've busied myself with organizing those darned files and getting about a ton of paper out of my world...clothes are next.  Space is tight at the moment, but my second order of business in January is going to be finding them a place of their own, or me, or some combination thereof.

Pandora/my "Old Man Station" is keeping me company.

I will update if anything more exciting than sleeping, filing, or folding happens.   :laugh:
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2011, 01:50:54 am »
...a selection of three movies: District 9, Creation, and Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

My son pronouned District 9 and Percy to be "lame" and we watched about half of Creation before a scratch on the DVD put an end to our filmfest. He's now watching Tin Cup for the zillionth time and I'm doing laundry. My husband disappeared from the scene at 8:10 pm.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2011, 06:02:07 am »
I have to say this has been a New Year's Eve that has left me feeling truly humble and very blest.

Since 1991 I've been active in our local gay leather club, and I began this evening by having a yummy dinner of pasta and roast pork loin with my club brothers. From there I moved on to a party that some of my neighbors, a couple, were throwing, and to which they have been pleased to invite me. After the fireworks at midnight, I hustled over to my regular Saturday night hangout to wish a happy new year to several good friends who were working the bar tonight. So there I was with three distinct groups of people, all of whom made me feel welcome.  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 02:53:50 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2011, 06:26:51 am »
I have to say this has been a New Year's Eve that has left me feeling truly humble and very blest.

Since 1991 I've been active in our local gay leather club, and I began this evening by having a yummy dinner of pasta and roast pork loin with my club brothers. From there I moved on to a party that some of my neighbors, a couple, were throwing, and to which they have been pleased to invite me. After the fireworks at midnight, I hustled over to my regular Saturday night hangout to wish a hppy new year to several good friends who were working the bar tonight. So there I was with three distinct groups of people, all of whom made be feel welcome.  :)

:)
Wonderful way to start a new year.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2011, 01:57:00 pm »

Since 1991 I've been active in our local gay leather club, and I began this evening by having a yummy dinner of pasta and roast pork loin with my club brothers. From there I moved on to a party that some of my neighbors, a couple, were throwing, and to which they have been pleased to invite me. After the fireworks at midnight, I hustled over to my regular Saturday night hangout to wish a hppy new year to several good friends who were working the bar tonight. So there I was with three distinct groups of people, all of whom made be feel welcome.  :)

Truly.  Life doesn't get much better.  :)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #135 on: January 01, 2011, 02:58:19 pm »
I had a nice supper of crab legs at home with good friends and watched the ball drop.  Could hear the fireworks banging away over in Central Park.  Happy 2011!  :D

On Thursday John Gallagher and I continued a tradition begun last year of going out on New Year's Eve eve.  We ate dinner on the Lower East Side at Mary Queen of Scots and celebrated an early Hogmanay.  It was the perfect place to bestow the last of my Edinburgh purchases on a friend: a lamb's wool tartan scarf bought on the Royal Mile.  :D  John gave me a tiny Gumby sitting on a blue horse and a fun book called "Lexicon of Musical Invective," a compilation of horrible reviews given to famous composers.  ;D

We ate a hearty winter dinner of cassoulet, boudin noir, Scotch salmon salad, pork belly, chips with curry sauce and fried Brussels sprouts, washed down with a gin cocktail, good red wine and a Smuttynose IPA lager.  Dessert was Scotch ice cream made with Laphroaig. Yum!

Next we walked a few blocks uptown and had Australian coffee at the Tuck Shop, a great little hole-in-the-wall that specializes in meat pies.  Our Swedes have visited there, too, as has oilgun.  8)

We finished up, as we did last year, with a stop at Cafe Mogador.  John had port wine and I had Moroccan mint tea and orange almond cake.  We parted at the L train station around midnight.  Thanks, dear friend, for another great Gallagher-esque evening!  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #136 on: January 01, 2011, 05:39:39 pm »

Since 1991 I've been active in our local gay leather club, and I began this evening by having a yummy dinner of pasta and roast pork loin with my club brothers. From there I moved on to a party that some of my neighbors, a couple, were throwing, and to which they have been pleased to invite me. After the fireworks at midnight, I hustled over to my regular Saturday night hangout to wish a happy new year to several good friends who were working the bar tonight. So there I was with three distinct groups of people, all of whom made me feel welcome.  :)

:o Oi! How did I write this at 4:00 in the morning?  :o

Must have been the champagne that enabled me to do it.  ::)

Must also be the champagne's fault that I don't remember writing it!  ::)

(I did fix a couple of typos.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #137 on: January 02, 2011, 03:27:05 am »
I had a nice supper of crab legs at home with good friends and watched the ball drop.  Could hear the fireworks banging away over in Central Park.  Happy 2011!  :D

On Thursday John Gallagher and I continued a tradition begun last year of going out on New Year's Eve eve.  We ate dinner on the Lower East Side at Mary Queen of Scots and celebrated an early Hogmanay.  It was the perfect place to bestow the last of my Edinburgh purchases on a friend: a lamb's wool tartan scarf bought on the Royal Mile.  :D  John gave me a tiny Gumby sitting on a blue horse and a fun book called "Lexicon of Musical Invective," a compilation of horrible reviews given to famous composers.  ;D

We ate a hearty winter dinner of cassoulet, boudin noir, Scotch salmon salad, pork belly, chips with curry sauce and fried Brussels sprouts, washed down with a gin cocktail, good red wine and a Smuttynose IPA lager.  Dessert was Scotch ice cream made with Laphroaig. Yum!

Next we walked a few blocks uptown and had Australian coffee at the Tuck Shop, a great little hole-in-the-wall that specializes in meat pies.  Our Swedes have visited there, too, as has oilgun.  8)

We finished up, as we did last year, with a stop at Cafe Mogador.  John had port wine and I had Moroccan mint tea and orange almond cake.  We parted at the L train station around midnight.  Thanks, dear friend, for another great Gallagher-esque evening!  :-*

Tonight my brother and some close friends and I had crab legs, prime rib of beef, smoked-salmon spread, risotto, haricots verts with bacon, flan, krumkake and a few other things. A NYE dinner got delayed until NYD, partly because the weather was bad yesterday, partly because I had a touch of the flu. I made a few of the things, and supplied the venue.

On Thursday I had cassoulet, too, Meryl! My step-mother took my brother and sons and I out to lunch. So cassoulet, champagne and a little trois-creme dessert that included pot de crème, crème broulet and crème caramel.

Meryl, your and John's tradition sounds really wonderful. Happy belated Hogmany, Meryl and everyone!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #138 on: January 02, 2011, 04:26:31 am »
My step-mother took my brother and sons and I out to lunch.

OT language question:
Why the I in that senctence, instead of me?

I would have written:
My step-mother took my brother and sons and me out to lunch.

But: My brother, my sons and I went out for lunch.

Different grammatical cases. In the first sentence the brother, sons and first person narrator are accusative objects, in the second sentence they are subjects (thus nominative).

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #139 on: January 02, 2011, 06:40:08 am »
LOL Chrissi! at your ability to perform grammatical logic reasoning early on a Sunday morning!!   ;D

But other than that, I agree with you.

Looking forward to the answer from a native English speaker.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre