Author Topic: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?  (Read 278352 times)

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?
« Reply #210 on: December 30, 2012, 05:46:42 pm »

That's one of the most meaningful New Years Eve celebrations I've ever heard of.

Thanks so much for saying so! I'm really looking forward to it!  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #211 on: December 30, 2012, 09:27:40 pm »
I'm excited!

Quite unexpectedly, I've been offered use of a free ticket to accompany some friends and neighbors in my building to the Philadelphia Orchestra's New Year's Eve concert, in Verizon Hall of the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts (which is so close to where I live that I could stand on my balcony and spit and almost hit the Kimmel  ;D ).

The Orchestra's new conductor, Yannick Nezet-Seguin, will be conducting. I've never been to a concert at the Kimmel, and I'll get to see the new conductor in action.  :)

After the concert, I have a party to go to right in my own building.

I think this will be my first New Year's Eve in all my years in Philadelphia that I won't be going out to a bar.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #212 on: December 30, 2012, 09:30:41 pm »
I'm going to Watch Meeting services at church with my mom.  Commonly called watchnight services, Watchnight service has added significance and history in the African-American community in the United States, since many slaves were said to have gathered in churches on New Year's Eve, in 1862, to await news and confirmation of the enactment of the Emancipation Proclamation by President Abraham Lincoln, on January 1, 1863.

I haven't been in years, and I feel it is time.  Besides, its free and a good time is had by all!  We often go out to breakfast after service.

I've heard of Watchnight services--don't mean to joke or make a Brokieism, but, seriously, I thought it was a Methodist thing.  :-\

When you get a chance, please tell us about the service. I'd like to know what it's like. Thanks!  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2012, 10:30:03 pm »
Everyone's plans sound great.  Check in after and let us know how it went.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #214 on: December 31, 2012, 01:37:52 am »
Marie, what a great way to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation.  So very meaningful to us all!  :-*

Jeff, enjoy the concert.  John and I heard Nezet-Seguin conduct, and he's terrific.  8)

I'll be going up to the top floor of my building for a get-together at my neighbor's.  Nice and easy.   But tonight, John G. and I had our traditional New Year's Eve Eve date.  We ate at a Lower East Side bistro called Calliope--great food and cozy atmosphere, and we scored a celebrity sighting while we were there.  Joel Grey came in with friends.  A few pics are below, blurry because my Iphone quality isn't good, but you get the idea.  The cake is Cherry Cake Basque, so we had to have it.  The earrings are my Christmas gift from John:  fire opal.  Very pretty!

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2012, 09:41:00 am »
I love all the plans Brokies are having. :)

Go, Jeff! What a wonderful opportunity.

I'm going to Watch Meeting services at church with my mom.  Commonly called watchnight services, Watchnight service has added significance and history in the African-American community in the United States, since many slaves were said to have gathered in churches on New Year's Eve, in 1862, to await news and confirmation of the enactment of the Emancipation Proclamation by President Abraham Lincoln, on January 1, 1863.

I haven't been in years, and I feel it is time.  Besides, its free and a good time is had by all!  We often go out to breakfast after service.

Never heard of this before. Thanks for brightening my horizon.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2012, 09:45:56 am »
Monika and Sophia, you go, girls! I'm sure you're gonna rock Stockholm. :laugh:

Meryl: I love that you and John have a traditional NYE date. :)
Thanks for sharing with us. The earrings are beautiful! And the cake was not only cherry cake, but even a Basque cherry cake! :laugh: It was clearly meant for you.

I'm going to be at home with Jens and the two younger children. Oldest daughter will be out, partying.
The times they are a changing...

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2012, 01:05:42 pm »
I just got a last minute invite to a house party with friends, so that's where I'll be.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2012, 03:25:48 pm »
About 3.5 hours to go for me and the Swedes, an hour more for Kelda.

We just had dinner (cheese fondue - love it!) and are about to start game night. In an hour, we'll gather in front of the TV, watching Dinner for One, which is almost mandatory in Germany. ;D

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2012, 05:25:52 pm »
The Swedes are cheking in!

So far we´ve had a great day here in Stockholm. It´s around 10.15 pm and we are back at our hotel, resting before going out later on to watch the fireworks.

We started our visit by taking a ride in Skyview. It´s a gondola made of glass that takes you up along the outside of the Ericsson Globe - the largest spherical building in the world. Very cool! (pic 1 and 2)

Afterwards we took the subway to Fotografiska museet (photographic museum) - it is one of the worlds largest collection of locations for photography. They were showing the work of David LaChapelle through the entire museum. I knew of him but wasn´t that familar with his work. I was pleasantly surprised. Very colorful, noisy and provocative. (pic 3 - the museum. pic 4 Picture by David LaChapelle. I bought a poster with this print too)

After all that we needed food. We ended up in a persian restaurant. Great, spicy food!

That is our evening so far!
We are about to head down to the hotel lounge to order a cocktail (or two) before heading out.

Happy New Year everybody!