Author Topic: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?  (Read 278289 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?
« Reply #350 on: December 30, 2017, 04:46:53 am »
This year one of my daughters throws a party. Not too big, around 12 persons coming. But when you add the six of us plus a friend of my other daughter, it's suddenly almost twenty people. And I plan to invite our newlyweds (my friend Kerstin plus husband).

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #351 on: December 30, 2017, 05:42:06 pm »
:laugh:

Sonja, that story was too funny!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #352 on: December 30, 2017, 08:32:56 pm »
I'm glad y'all like the story of my NYE adventures last year!

It's funnier now than it was when it happened!  ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #353 on: December 31, 2017, 12:02:22 pm »
It's funnier now than it was when it happened!  ;D

I think that's how a lot of stories are.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #354 on: December 31, 2017, 03:37:07 pm »
Well Happy New Year 2018.
It is now 8.30am here. I went to bed before 10pm. I watched a BeeGees tribute with John Travolta the mc and Barry Gibbs there. Then began watching Mamma Mia but decided to turn off after half an hour. Like the songs obviously but had seen it in the theatre and not that impressed. I like Meryl Streep but do not think that was one of her best. Yesterday (NYE) I went and saw "The man who invented Christmas". It was ok but I was a bit disappointed, I am a great fan of Dickens novels. Then had lunch at a garden centre. It is often crowded but I managed to get a table. Possibly because it was raining. Fortunately they report the rain stopped by 8pm so there were crowds in our city centre for the fireworks. I prefer to see them in mid-winter festival when they are at 6.30pm. I missed them this year because I was in Fairbanks, Alaska (mid-summer there of course).  Today it is fine so after I do all my accounts (both NZ and Australia) i will get into the garden.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #355 on: December 31, 2017, 08:50:58 pm »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #356 on: December 31, 2017, 09:20:53 pm »
Pretty exciting night. I tried to find one of my cat's toys so she could play with it as a special treat (she has several mouse-shaped ones, some filled with catnip). But I couldn't find any, so I tossed out an empty toilet paper roll, which she loved. She also played with the window blind cords and sharpened her claws for the umpteenth time on a cardboard box. We're tuckered out and it's still 5.5 hours until midnight! I think I'll go take a little nap.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #357 on: January 01, 2018, 11:53:13 am »
So I just read this: Instead of Cathy Griffin, Andy Cohen co-hosted New Year's Eve on TV last night with Anderson Cooper?

Two gay men. ...

Imagine that. ...
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #358 on: January 01, 2018, 01:00:52 pm »
I had lengthy phone conversations with my son in Chicago, and with an old friend. Then I ate takeout broccolini-pancetta risotto, sipped some cava and watched Broadcast News.

If a time traveler from 2017 went back 30 years and watched that movie (it came out in 1987) they would be perplexed, to say the least. So many elements would never be in a movie today!

-- Handsome William Hurt goes after frumpy Holly Hunter because he thinks she's smart and professionally talented.

-- William Hurt's first solo news report is an expose about date rape (!). It is played like a major feature story, including a long interview with a victim, as if revealing for the first time that such a thing exists. The women in the newsroom watch the TV report with surprise, as if they didn't know it existed, either. Wiliam Hurt's career gets a big boost from the accomplishment.

-- The other reason the date-rape story is significant is because at one point the camera turns to William Hurt who, as he listens to the crying victim, is shedding a tiny tear which, even in 1987, I thought was gross and stupid and nobody would do that. But even Holly Hunter, admitting it's a little over the top, grudgingly allows that it works.

-- William Hurt relentlessly pursues Holly Hunter romantically, but always charmingly, never in a way that's pushy or out of bounds. He doesn't text her a photo of his penis.

-- That tear [SPOILER ALERT if you've never seen this 30-year-old movie but want to someday, you might want to skip the next one] leads Holly Hunter to break up with William Hurt in the airport, just as they were about to leave for a romantic tropical getaway. The reason she does that is that she has discovered the tear was faked (she watches the footage from the interview and sees William stop in the middle to summon a tear). So yeah, that is a definite news no-no.

But what is the visitor from 2017 to make of a world where the worst example of fake news they can come up with is a man falsely shedding a tear while doing a story about date rape!

And I can't even think of a movie where the lead actress is frumpy and not especially beautiful and that's not the whole point of the movie (how will she ever get a man??) but gets involved in a romantic relationship anyway.

I mean, Frances McDormand is frumpy and not-beautiful in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Mo, which I saw earlier in the week, but there's no romance involved.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #359 on: January 01, 2018, 02:28:39 pm »
And I can't even think of a movie where the lead actress is frumpy and not especially beautiful and that's not the whole point of the movie (how will she ever get a man??) but gets involved in a romantic relationship anyway.

I mean, Frances McDormand is frumpy and not-beautiful in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Mo, which I saw earlier in the week, but there's no romance involved.

I beg to differ. I think this is one of the most enduring story archetypes. What springs to mind: "My Brilliant Career". Judy Davis, Sam Neill. And, "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day", with Frances McDormand and Ciarán Hinds (pictured).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:04:37 pm by Front-Ranger »
"chewing gum and duct tape"