Author Topic: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?  (Read 278238 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: What Are You Doing for New Year's Eve?
« Reply #360 on: January 01, 2018, 02:30:19 pm »
"Little Women" Wynona Ryder, Christian Bale.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #361 on: January 01, 2018, 02:56:39 pm »
Pretty much the entire Jane Austen oeuvre, but the one that leaps to mind is "Sense and Sensibility" with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #362 on: January 01, 2018, 03:02:05 pm »
Continuing on the Hugh Grant theme, "Bridget Jones' Diary" with Renée Zellweger and himself.

. . . and a big chunk of the Hugh Grant oeuvre, including "Love, Actually", where. as Prime Minister, he fell for Martine McCutcheon, "the chubby one" on his staff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #363 on: January 01, 2018, 03:03:11 pm »
And, coming around full circle, "Impromptu" with Judy Davis as George Sand, and Hugh Grant as Chopin.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #364 on: January 01, 2018, 05:10:38 pm »
Well, that's a good point. And those are good examples. I notice almost all are either products of the past or were set in the past. But it could still work today.

(BTW Wynona Ryder, as Jo, did not wind up with Christian Bale's Laurie -- he married pretty Amy. Just read something about this a couple of days ago. Apparently Louisa May Alcott -- who, when I toured her home, I pretty strongly suspected was gay, and certainly a proto-feminist -- was averse to marrying off everyone as it was, but her publisher forced her.)

I'm trying to picture how Broadcast News would look today. OK, I can see Rachel McAdams, or maybe Ann Hathaway, playing the Holly Hunter role, and maybe Zac Ephron, or maybe one of the Hemsworths, as William Hurt. It could work!

But the fake news would have to be way more shocking than the shedding of a tiny insincere tear. Rachel McAdams would end the relationship after discovering that Zac Ephron planted a story about Hillary Clinton running a child sex ring out of a pizzeria.

:laugh:

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #365 on: January 01, 2018, 05:19:48 pm »
Happy New Year everyone!

The party last night was fun.  Lots of laughs and conversation,  good food and drink, champagne toast at midnight, and then out to the porch to bang pots and pans.  I got home about 2:00am.

:)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #366 on: January 01, 2018, 05:57:19 pm »

(BTW Wynona Ryder, as Jo, did not wind up with Christian Bale's Laurie -- he married pretty Amy.
 :laugh:

Only after Jo turned down his proposal! I think Laurie married Amy out of spite and as a boomerang relationship.

BTW, I thought you were talking about Amy Adams, who was in "Miss Pettigrew ~". Isn't Rachel McAdams pretty much interchangeable with Amy Adams? I've seen them in at least three films each, and still can't keep them apart!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #367 on: January 01, 2018, 09:31:30 pm »
Only after Jo turned down his proposal! I think Laurie married Amy out of spite and as a boomerang relationship.

Oh, that could be.

BTW, I thought you were talking about Amy Adams, who was in "Miss Pettigrew ~". Isn't Rachel McAdams pretty much interchangeable with Amy Adams? I've seen them in at least three films each, and still can't keep them apart!

Aside from their names, I don't see much similarity between them. They don't look alike. Plus, the first thing I saw Amy Adams in was Enchanted, which was enchanting, and I can't imagine Rachel McAdams in that role.

Amy Adams looks like Isla Fisher and Jessica Chastain, because all three have long red hair.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #368 on: January 01, 2018, 10:01:19 pm »
I've seen Amy in roles with brown, red and blonde hair. Ditto Rachel.

Thanks for giving me something interesting and movie-oriented to do today! It's been an interesting holiday, as most New Year's Days are!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #369 on: January 02, 2018, 11:19:33 am »
I've seen Amy in roles with brown, red and blonde hair. Ditto Rachel.

Well, most actresses do change their hair color from time to time. But according to google, Rachel hasn't spent a lot of time with red hair (I saw a photo of her with red but can't remember seeing her in a movie with it). Whereas, according to People, Amy Adams credits red hair with boosting her career. Her natural hair color is strawberry blonde, but once she went darker red she started getting more and better roles. So she's usually red.

Isla Fisher and Jessica Chastain are natural redheads.

Thanks for giving me something interesting and movie-oriented to do today! It's been an interesting holiday, as most New Year's Days are!

What did you do besides this? I kind of hate NYD. The excitement of the holiday season is over, and the next day it's back to the old grind and the worst weather of the year. January is like Monday on steroids.