Author Topic: We've got a big anniversary and movie event coming up  (Read 10773 times)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
We've got a big anniversary and movie event coming up
« on: November 21, 2006, 09:35:37 pm »
And I haven't heard one little word about commemorations! Are we drunk on Blog quizzes? (yes, I blame you Barb-okay, I blame myself as well).

O0

Heathen

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: We've got a big anniversary and movie event coming up
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 09:48:39 pm »
Blame away.  I am indeed the culprit.

Forgive me my daftness, but what were the official release dates again?
No more beans!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 09:54:31 pm »
Blame away.  I am indeed the culprit.

Forgive me my daftness, but what were the official release dates again?

December 9th 2005 was the original limited release opening in the US, which I believe was five cities.

One week later (Dec 16) it opened more widely but was still limited. Paul (southendmd) saw it in Boston on Dec 16. I saw it in Boston on Dec 27th.

It opened in Maine the first weekend in January (New Year's weekend?). We tried to see it and ended up watching Casanova, instead, because BBM was sold out.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 10:03:44 pm »
I think we each have to celebrate our own personal anniversary.  Few of us actually saw it on the sacred opening of 12/9. 

As Leslie said, I saw it on its opening date in Boston on a cold, nasty, rainy Friday 12/16 at the Coolidge Corner Theatre (yes, the very one we rented on Boston Brokie weekend in September). 

So, lovely Brokies, celebrate your own special anniversary, be it December or January (or later).  Revel in the remembrance of its impact on you that first time.  The nagging questions and feelings and headaches. 

And, ultimately the joy of sharing with a world-ful of lovely Brokies who know just how you feel.

One glorious year of obsessive, shared affection for two cowboys who taught us about love.

Cheers, Brokies,
Paul
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:21:39 pm by southendmd »

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 03:37:01 am »
I saw it December 16th ish. I had never heard of it until a radio review that caught my attention-serendipity-and I ran out to see it as soon as it opened. This relationship is meant to be. I have been having off and on bouts of Brokaholism lately, I think from this big anniversary on the horizon. Remember the "when will the devastation end" thread? I've been asking myself that and trying to figure out why I am still in the grip of this story.

The movie premieres on HBO in 5 days and I wonder if I'll watch it.

Any old way-happy anniversary! I need to figure out something special to celebrate one of the best experiences of my life.

O0

Heathen

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 12:17:14 pm »
The date for me will be December 18 (the day before Jakey's birthday  ;D )--and I got the ticket stub to prove it!

The film must have opened here in Philadelphia that Friday. Here in the city, the Ritz Theaters showed it on three screens in two theaters--that shoulda clued me in it was gonna be big.  ;D The 18th was Sunday--Sunday afternoon being about the only time I got time for a movie--and my friend John and I went to the 4:00 show. As we were in line for our tickets, I noticed a sign that said that the 3:00 show had been sold out!  :o

Silly me. When I first saw an ad in the Friday newspaper the week before, I said to myself. "I remember that story from The New Yorker. I better see it right away when it opens. This won't stick around long."  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 01:58:44 pm »
I'm going to spend the month of December celebrating being pissed off because I wanted to see the movie and it was only playing in one theater in my entire god-damned time zone.  >:( ::) :P And, man, I was lurking on IMDb then, and there was someone who had a sig that said something like "Dec 9 if you're lucky, Dec 16 for everyone else!" Made me soooooooo grumpy. And then suddenly everyone had seen the movie, and I had to stop reading because there wasn't anything to read except spoilers and trolls.  :( )

(I need a "I'm going through my moody time again; please put me on 'ignore'" smiley.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 03:31:02 pm »
(I need a "I'm going through my moody time again; please put me on 'ignore'" smiley.)

{{{{Mel}}}}

:-*

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 04:08:11 pm »
Nah, I think I'll put you on  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

O0

Heathen

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 10:09:42 am »
No, I could never put you on ignore, but bytch away anyway, U are so charming when U do!! (Like Jack) Let's have a celebratory chat on December 9 anyway, I will post about it on Sosh, and we can continue talking about our personal anniversaries here. Mine is not until mid-January, my daughter took me to see the movie.
"chewing gum and duct tape"