Author Topic: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 13 up!  (Read 48466 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Just By Looking at You, Chapter 13 up!
« on: November 22, 2006, 12:09:02 pm »
I wanted to make a new thread for this story, just to keep things orderly  :)

This is a modern AU!AU...

Here are the links:

Chapter 1: http://minchout.livejournal.com/10597.html#cutid1

Chapter 2: http://minchout.livejournal.com/11099.html#cutid1

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 09:52:23 pm by littleguitar »
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: Just By Looking at You
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 05:53:09 pm »
Thanks Mandy. It needs a home of it's own.

O0

Heathen

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:06:23 pm »
know you must be busy with the holidays and all , but I just wanted to say I know at least 3 folks really looking forward to a new chapter when the muse strikes  ;D
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 11:14:22 pm »
Hey there Dottie! I was actually going to post an update announcement on my LJ tonight, but I'll do it here as well.

I've actually been pretty sick the past few days, since about friday, a combination of flu and sinus infection that tonight moved into my ear (I never realized how painful an ear ache could be...) so I haven't really been doing much writing. I had intended to have something posted today, too. But, I'm getting better and I have a doctor's app. tomorrow so hopefully with some medicine I'll be writing again soon. If I'm feeling good except for my ear tomorrow you might even get something then  :D

Glad you're looking foreward to it though, I'm pretty excited about this new one myself  :)
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 01:44:33 am »
Hey there Dottie! I was actually going to post an update announcement on my LJ tonight, but I'll do it here as well.

I've actually been pretty sick the past few days, since about friday, a combination of flu and sinus infection that tonight moved into my ear (I never realized how painful an ear ache could be...) so I haven't really been doing much writing. I had intended to have something posted today, too. But, I'm getting better and I have a doctor's app. tomorrow so hopefully with some medicine I'll be writing again soon. If I'm feeling good except for my ear tomorrow you might even get something then  :D

Glad you're looking foreward to it though, I'm pretty excited about this new one myself  :)
                        thank you for the heads up on your next chapter,,,very thoughtful

Beautiful mind

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:57:25 am »
Sorry to hear you've been sick Mandy, earaches are the pits aren't they!  Take good care of yourself first, we want you well and writing again soon, but not too soon, no relapses O.K.  :-*

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 01:31:56 pm »
GET WELL SOON MANDY!!!!!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 03:43:11 pm »
Aw, thanks Mel!  :D

Just got back from the doc, she says I have double ear infections, yikes...

I'm going to try and write some tonight, though  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 04:10:29 pm »
Ouch, that's really painful, did he give you antibiotics?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 06:20:42 pm »

one_of_one

Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 3 up!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 08:01:23 pm »
I just read the three chapters this evening....and I am hooked.  What a great story, Mandy :) 

SPOILERS

I love that they are just passengers on the same train who start to notice each other....and then Jack misses Ennis one time that he ends up calling his house. And the whole "I ain't queer" thing made me giggle.  Sure Ennis, that's why you're quite happy to get picked up by some strange guy and go for a drink with him.....

One thing that's left me wondering is Jack's phone call to Ennis's house.  KE paused a long time before answering Jack's question, I wonder why that was.  Is he puzzled that someone is saying he is Ennis's friend?  Has he had inklings about Ennis in the past and this man calling has set him wondering?

I wonder what Ennis's story is...Jack seems so distanced from his life; in a marriage that so soon is going nowhere, with a baby on the way, with his conflicting feelings towards other guys, his problems being able to write.  He seems very down about his life, very detached.  I feel for him.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 11:16:42 pm »
Thanks Helen!! I'm glad you like it  :D

I'm glad the "I ain't queer" line made you giggle because when I was writing it I just had to shake my head and think "Oh, Ennis..."

And Ennis (and K.E. for that matter) is a huge mystery in this story. I always felt like Ennis was a bit of a mystery while watching the movie and I wanted to portray some of that in my story, so I'm glad I have you wondering what his story is and what that pause meant... we'll find out more about him in the next chapter  ::)

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 10:43:32 am »
Well Mandy, now I know what addicts must feel like, you give us just enough to keep us hooked!  :D  I am so sorry to hear that you are still struggling with being sick but I am so grateful for this chapter.  OMG Ennis is such a mystery man in this.  I can't wait until we get some of the back story on him in the parallel universe.  If he's living with KE in the city, does that mean there's no Alma and the girls or has Alma already kicked him to the curb for dallying with someone else? Hmmmmm...more please as soon as you're feel up to it

mvansand76

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 03:43:34 pm »
His cowboy was sitting on the edge of one of the seats at the other end of the car leaning forward with elbows resting on knees, his hands clasped between his legs. He looked at Jack, his lips in a tight line, but Jack thought he saw something else there.

I liked that! God, that Dan is going to great lengths to prove he's straight! He's quite annoying!  ;)

Great story....

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 04:39:17 pm »
Well Mandy, now I know what addicts must feel like, you give us just enough to keep us hooked!  :D  I am so sorry to hear that you are still struggling with being sick but I am so grateful for this chapter.  OMG Ennis is such a mystery man in this.  I can't wait until we get some of the back story on him in the parallel universe.  If he's living with KE in the city, does that mean there's no Alma and the girls or has Alma already kicked him to the curb for dallying with someone else? Hmmmmm...more please as soon as you're feel up to it

LOL Dottie, I'm glad I've got you hooked! All Ennis mysteries will be solved next chapter... well, maybe not, but you will get more of his story! I'm already working on it and fear I may have another chapter of this out before TLBoH  :-\

His cowboy was sitting on the edge of one of the seats at the other end of the car leaning forward with elbows resting on knees, his hands clasped between his legs. He looked at Jack, his lips in a tight line, but Jack thought he saw something else there.

I liked that! God, that Dan is going to great lengths to prove he's straight! He's quite annoying!  ;)

Great story....

Thanks Mel! Glad you liked that part  :D

We'll get more on Dan soon, he's even annoying me, but there is more there than meets the eye  ;)

mvansand76

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 04:52:23 pm »
We'll get more on Dan soon, he's even annoying me, but there is more there than meets the eye  ;)

I knew it!!!!!!!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 07:18:08 pm »

Offline dot-matrix

Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 4 up!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 04:23:21 am »
Wooohooo Chapter 4 so quick!  :o  Thanks Mandy!  Yeoza, Alma's dead and there's no Jenny in this time line....WOW!  I'm a so lovin this  :D  and I can't wait to see all about Mr Dan I can totally see that he doth protest too much about being completely straight now...Uh hmmm, yeah sure, pull the other one.  ::) .

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 10:17:47 pm »
Glad you're liking it Dottie, I think you remain my biggest fan  ;)

Yeah, Dan's not fooling anyone is he....

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 10:31:07 pm »
Glad you're liking it Dottie, I think you remain my biggest fan  ;)

Yeah, Dan's not fooling anyone is he....

;D Nope ol Dan ain't foolin no one!

I think actually Victoria is your biggest fan, but I carry a close second!  Her Dad's in the hospital again so she has not seen Chapter 3 or 4 yet, but I told her they're up.  Keep your pencils sharpened or whatever it is you writer types do!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 10:43:54 pm »
oh no, her dad's in the hospital again  :'(

Thanks for telling me, I didn't know, I'm going to email her right now...

mvansand76

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 05:57:02 pm »
Sorry for the late post...Loved your latest chapter... Do you have the story outlined yet?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2006, 09:43:05 pm »
Glad you liked it Mel  :D

I don't have it outlined yet... though I do have a good idea of what will happen in the next chapter which should be posted soon. Though I'm feeling guilty about the long wait for TLBoH....

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 03:17:26 am »
I'm getting in the fan line before I lose my place  8)

I'm seeing Vic in a couple of weeks Mandy-I'll give her loves from you.

O0

Heathen

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 03:40:23 am »
I am very far behind on BBM fan fictions. The only AU!AU fan fiction I read is Lori's "Zero at the Bone" and I am loving it. 

Seeing Ruby is turning into a fan girl on Mandy's story, I recon I should get in line too.  The good news is the story is still just at the beginning (or I thought so based on the no. of chapters).  Hopefully I can catch up soon.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 03:45:43 am »
JC-I'm so happy to see your shiny face back here! I have been reading reading and reading some more fic so if you want any recommendations I've got em. By no means should you skip this one by Mandy-It will hook you immediately.

O0

and, yes, I still read it regularly  ;D

Heathen

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2006, 03:55:09 am »
and, yes, I still read it regularly  ;D

Why am I not surprised  ;)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2006, 10:05:50 am »
I'm getting in the fan line before I lose my place  8)

I'm seeing Vic in a couple of weeks Mandy-I'll give her loves from you.

O0

That's what she said! I'm so jealous... hopefully she and I will be able to meet someday!

Glad to see you over here Jenny!! Welcome  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2006, 05:28:15 pm »
Glad you liked it Mel  :D

I don't have it outlined yet... though I do have a good idea of what will happen in the next chapter which should be posted soon. Though I'm feeling guilty about the long wait for TLBoH....

Yeah, how is it going with TLBoH?

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2006, 06:13:19 pm »
Yeah, how is it going with TLBoH?

I want to run and hide from this question, LOL  ::)

It isn't really going at all... I haven't even started the next chapter. I haven't abandoned it though and I won't, it just hasn't hit me yet. I think I'm going to do a read through of the entire thing tonight and that will help me get a better grasp on what I want to do with it because honestly I haven't ever read the whole thing in one go since about chapter 3 and I think that may be part of the problem, I need to get a better sense of where the characters were in the beginning. But I also swore to myself I'd work on grad school stuff tonight  :-\ Really all I want to do is curl up with a mug of hot chocolate and read a book!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2006, 09:30:50 pm »
Okay Mandy...
 :-X
 O0

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2006, 09:54:52 pm »
Okay Mandy...
 O0

LOL! I'm workin' on it I'm workin' on it... lest I have an angry mob at my heels  ;)

::)

mvansand76

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2006, 04:59:46 am »
Really all I want to do is curl up with a mug of hot chocolate and read a book!

You really should not feel guilty about wanting to do that!  :D

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2006, 09:31:35 pm »
I'd like to curl up with a mug of hot chocolate (with some Bailey's) an read a few chapters of "That Little Bit of Hope"  ;)

:laugh: :laugh: O0 :laugh: :laugh:

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2006, 11:10:41 pm »
ROFL, sounds nice, anyone wanna volunteer to help Ruby out??  ::)

Just kidding... it shouldn't be long now, I plan to work on it tomorrow afternoon so hopefully it will be up by Monday at the latest  :D

In the mean time, here's great recipie for that hot cocoa (at least I can deliver something...) courtesy of Tyler Florence! :

3/4 cup powdered milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
Homemade Marshmallows, recipe follows

Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Take the bittersweet chocolate and roughly chop it up to give a chunky but consistent size. Mix well with a wooden spoon and then store in a dry airtight container. To make the hot chocolate, simply add 1 cup of water per 1/2 cup of hot cocoa mix. Heat in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring with a whisk. Heat until hot, but do not boil, about 6 to 7 minutes. Serve with marshmallows.

Homemade Marshmallows:
1/4 cup powdered gelatin
1 cup cold water
2 cups sugar
2 egg whites
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted, plus more for dusting pan and marshmallows
Butter, for greasing pan

In a medium sized saucepan soak the gelatin in the water. After the gelatin has softened, approximately 10 minutes, add the regular sugar and then gently dissolve over low heat, approximately 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
In a mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks and then fold in the sifted confectioners' sugar. While the mixer is on low, slowly poor in the cooled gelatin mixture. Increase the speed and beat until white and thick. The volume should double in size.

Line an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with high sides with foil, grease slightly with butter, and coat with confectioners' sugar. Alternatively, you can use a baking sheet, but the marshmallows will not be as tall. Pour marshmallow mixture in and top with more sifted confectioners' sugar. Leave out overnight or for at least 3 hours to set. The marshmallow should be light and spongy when set.

Loosen marshmallow from edges of tray and invert onto a large cutting board. Peel off foil and use a large knife to cut the marshmallows into cubes. Dredge each piece in confectioners' sugar.

:D YUM!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2006, 11:11:51 pm »
speaking of Bailey's... I saw a bottle of chocolate mint baileys at the store tonight, that sounds fabulous!  :)

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2006, 01:32:56 am »
Mandy-thanks! You just gave me a Christmas present idea-hot choc mix and homemake marshmallows!

I think I'll do a test batch tomorrow. It will keep me busy while you write.

O0

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 11:47:46 am »
That's one of the things I'm doing for christmas gifts too  ;D

Let me know how the marshmellows turn out, I haven't tried those yet!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2006, 12:39:47 am »
Chapter 5 up friends  :D

Happy Holidays!!

http://minchout.livejournal.com/15100.html

Offline dot-matrix

Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 5 up!
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2006, 03:12:44 am »
Woo hoo Mandy honey, THANK YOU for that early Christmas present!  It may have been short but it was a sweet chapter.  Can't wait to learn more about Ennis history, I think he's got some relevant history here that has yet to be learned. 

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2006, 10:38:48 am »
I think he's got some relevant history here that has yet to be learned. 

You're right  ;)

Thanks as always, Dottie! Merry Christmas  ;D

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2006, 07:00:28 pm »
Chapter 6 up! Happy New Year all  :D

http://minchout.livejournal.com/15775.html

mvansand76

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2006, 09:08:17 pm »
Chapter 6 up! Happy New Year all  :D

http://minchout.livejournal.com/15775.html

OH goodie! Something wonderful to look forward to reading in the new year (or when I wake up in a few hours...)...

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY (it's 2007 here in Holland now)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline littleguitar

Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 6 up!
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2007, 02:11:21 am »
Happy New year Mel!! It is exactly 12:10 here in st. louis  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2007, 06:34:02 am »
Hey! Couldn't wait to start reading it this morning! Totally did not see that FNIT coming but they are both lying when they say that they have never done this before, aren't they? I feel sorry for Jack, he is soooo lonely.... Wonderful chapter, thank you so much for posting, can't wait to read the next one!  ;D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2007, 10:25:42 am »
It was so lovely to read this on the very first day of the New Year, wasn't it, Mel?  :) Did you have a good Jaarwisseling? Veel oliebollen en flappen gegeten??  ;D

I LOVED it Mandy! Brilliant update! I desperately want Jack to have some true TLC in his life  :( and I can't wait for that to happen with Ennis. Would love to learn more about Ennis.
Like all the others, totally didn't see FNIT coming! But it felt very right and believeble to me; they were both so desperate, horny and lonely *sigh*
Can't wait for Jack to get his sweet and loving kiss....

Thanks so much, Mandy! Have you written the next chapter yet??! LOL!  ;D  :P

:-*

mvansand76

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2007, 11:13:36 am »
It was so lovely to read this on the very first day of the New Year, wasn't it, Mel?  :) Did you have a good Jaarwisseling? Veel oliebollen en flappen gegeten??  ;D

I LOVED it Mandy! Brilliant update! I desperately want Jack to have some true TLC in his life  :( and I can't wait for that to happen with Ennis. Would love to learn more about Ennis.
Like all the others, totally didn't see FNIT coming! But it felt very right and believeble to me; they were both so desperate, horny and lonely *sigh*
Can't wait for Jack to get his sweet and loving kiss....

Thanks so much, Mandy! Have you written the next chapter yet??! LOL!  ;D  :P

Yeah you are right, it was lovely!

Hele fijne jaarwisseling gehad, ja! Veeeeeel te veel oliebollen en appelflappen gegeten, mijn buik puilt uit! En jij?

Gelukkig nieuwjaar!  :-*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2007, 11:21:05 am »
Yeah you are right, it was lovely!

Hele fijne jaarwisseling gehad, ja! Veeeeeel te veel oliebollen en appelflappen gegeten, mijn buik puilt uit! En jij?

Gelukkig nieuwjaar!  :-*

:) fijn om te horen, Mel  :) Heh heh, valt bij mij wel mee! Ik ben er niet zo dol op dus dat scheelt!  ;D Mijn dochter en ik waren gewoon gezellig bij mijn jongste zus thuis, hebben spelletjes gespeeld en om 1200 hebben ze wat aangeklooid met vuurwerk wat ik atlijd doodeng vind!
Jij ook een heel fijn en Gelukkig Nieuwjaar!!  :-*

And I'm still waiting for something!!!!  :'(

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2007, 11:41:20 am »
Thanks for the lovely comments guys!!  ;D

Thanks so much, Mandy! Have you written the next chapter yet??! LOL!   

Not of this one, but I am working on a little something else  ;) You might see a chapter tonight!! (well, tonight my time...)

BTW, check out the Daily Sheet over at the Dave Cullen forum... there's a review of my story  :D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2007, 12:10:09 pm »
Thanks for the lovely comments guys!!  ;D

You're welcome  :)

Not of this one, but I am working on a little something else  ;) You might see a chapter tonight!! (well, tonight my time...)
OMG! *VERY excited* You're amazing!  Helen was on my case about this!  ;D She's scared it's going to interfere with JBLaY too much!!  ;D

BTW, check out the Daily Sheet over at the Dave Cullen forum... there's a review of my story  :D
I will!!  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2007, 12:14:07 pm »
And I'm still waiting for something!!!!  :'(

I know, I know, but I will have not one but two chapters once I send them to you guys!  :D And I am working hard on chapter 7 sooooooooo....  ;)

OMG, I am reading it now, this is wonderful, I hardly ever visit DC anymore, thanks for letting us know! Congrats!!!!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2007, 12:37:02 pm »
I know, I know, but I will have not one but two chapters once I send them to you guys!   And I am working hard on chapter 7 sooooooooo.... 

I can't wait to read them!!  :D Are you going to try and write the whole story before you post, or are you just getting ahead? I really wish I had the patience to do that, I post right after I finish a chapter then regret it about 30 minutes later  :-\

mvansand76

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2007, 01:27:07 pm »
I can't wait to read them!!  :D Are you going to try and write the whole story before you post, or are you just getting ahead? I really wish I had the patience to do that, I post right after I finish a chapter then regret it about 30 minutes later  :-\

LOL! No reason to regret posting your chapters Mandy! That last one was another beauty!

I think I will write at least half of the story before posting it (if I post it, I am a little nervous about it), because I never really know if I can write or not with the pain in my hand and shoulder....  :-\

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2007, 02:16:12 pm »
OMG! *VERY excited* You're amazing!  Helen was on my case about this!   She's scared it's going to interfere with JBLaY too much!! 

LOL! RouxB said the same thing... no worries, JBLaY is my first priority, I'm hoping to start posting that one at a much quicker pace now that I've finished Hope. One chapter a week at least, possibly two if my muse is nice to me. But of course, now that I've actually told people that, things will probably go horribly wrong... I always jinx myself  :-\

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2007, 02:56:25 pm »
LOL! RouxB said the same thing... no worries, JBLaY is my first priority, I'm hoping to start posting that one at a much quicker pace now that I've finished Hope. One chapter a week at least, possibly two if my muse is nice to me. But of course, now that I've actually told people that, things will probably go horribly wrong... I always jinx myself  :-\

LOL! Well that should make Helen very happy!  ;D And Roux! And me too  ;D

Aww, I hope not!  :'(

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2007, 05:32:33 pm »
Mandy ~ I just read your review on the DC boards and it was lovely and so deserving  :) God, me and Helen used to be on there 24/7 back in the days!  ;D  Shame you weren't a member in those days  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2007, 06:22:43 pm »
Mandy ~ I just read your review on the DC boards and it was lovely and so deserving  :) God, me and Helen used to be on there 24/7 back in the days!  ;D  Shame you weren't a member in those days  :)

Aw thanks, June! I was pretty excited about it. I just joined around there a couple of months ago. I don't post very often (except for the last couple of days because there's been a really good discussion of Bailey's new story) so I was really surprised and happy that people over there were even reading it  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2007, 09:41:49 pm »
I have only been a member of BetterMost for just over a month and am still finding my way around. I was aware there was a fan fiction section but deliberately steered clear of it until now. I think, primarily, because I view the original story of the love Jack & Ennis shared as being “sacred” – that’s not too strong a term for me to use, I really do love them that much. However, having said that, I have just read all 6 chapters of “Just by Looking at You” in one sitting – at work!!! My first such venture into the realm of BBM fan fiction. It is sooo beautifully written. I am absolutely hooked. Can’t wait for the next chapter. Thank you for this beautiful story.

Kerry
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2007, 09:51:24 pm »
I have only been a member of BetterMost for just over a month and am still finding my way around. I was aware there was a fan fiction section but deliberately steered clear of it until now. I think, primarily, because I view the original story of the love Jack & Ennis shared as being “sacred” – that’s not too strong a term for me to use, I really do love them that much. However, having said that, I have just read all 6 chapters of “Just by Looking at You” in one sitting – at work!!! My first such venture into the realm of BBM fan fiction. It is sooo beautifully written. I am absolutely hooked. Can’t wait for the next chapter. Thank you for this beautiful story.

Kerry

Hi Kerry  :) Good to see you here. We all love Mandy's writing  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2007, 12:46:06 am »

Kerry

Oh wow, Kerry! I cannot tell you how flattered I am that my story was your first venture into fan fiction and that you like it so much. I think you'll find that a lot of people around here also see the love between Jack and Ennis as sacred, I definitely view it that way and am trying to do my best to handle it carefully in my writing.

Thank you so much for the kind words  :-*

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2007, 02:44:42 am »
Kerry-I almost want to tell you to step away from the fan fiction because once you start it's up all night, pins and needles waiting for the next update, juggling multiple story lines and tears and heartache almost equal to the movie. And then again, AU happiness, becoming a part of a wonderful community and being exposed to some really terrific writers-kinda makes it all worthwhile.

Welcome to my world!

O0

Heathen

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2007, 04:27:04 am »
GREAT MANDY!  Just wonderful.  I loved every word.  They are both so lonely, almost desperately so, that really came out in the sex.  I like this Ennis, he quiet and reserved but he's more in touch ( I hope that makes sense)  His "I can't (or was it don't want) to talk about this now" implied so much more than movie Ennis ever did.  Well you got me girl, I am a big ol big mouth bass hooked on your line waiting for the next up date.  Don't tease me too long ya hear  ;)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2007, 10:52:20 am »
Look what someone over at DC found me!! SQUEEE!! (In my excitement I didn't even see who... I think bbm_citygirl)

mvansand76

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2007, 11:07:06 am »
Oh Mandy, that is definitely worth a SQUEEE! Wow, it's absolutely perfect, down to the sad expression on his face!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2007, 11:14:11 am »
Awww Mandy ~ Can I SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE along too??

It's PERFECT!

I'm just DYING for another update now!!  :-*

mvansand76

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2007, 11:17:07 am »
I never really knew what Squeeee meant until I came to this board LOL!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2007, 11:25:06 am »
I never really knew what Squeeee meant until I came to this board LOL!

I never knew what A LOT of things were before I joined the DC boards way back last February, one of them being squeeeeing too! And lots of them being Slash related! OMG ~ the things I've learnt!! WOW  ;D  ;D  ;D

mvansand76

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2007, 11:51:02 am »
What a lovely avatar (another word I didn't know about) you have June!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2007, 12:03:12 pm »
What a lovely avatar (another word I didn't know about) you have June!

Dank je Mel!  :) It was inspired by Helen's sweet and wonderful Going Home fic, although this is in Italy and not Scotland.

BTW ~ I love your bfriends paintings  :) I was admiring them and all your lovely family pics on your journal just now  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2007, 12:38:01 pm »
Dank je Mel!  :) It was inspired by Helen's sweet and wonderful Going Home fic, although this is in Italy and not Scotland.

BTW ~ I love your bfriends paintings  :) I was admiring them and all your lovely family pics on your journal just now  :)

Thank you! I am so proud of him, he has such wonderful talent. Hij gaat nu werken aan een schilderij van de Zaanse Schans! I am going to post more of his paintings soon...  :-*

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2007, 01:14:50 pm »
Thank you! I am so proud of him, he has such wonderful talent. Hij gaat nu werken aan een schilderij van de Zaanse Schans! I am going to post more of his paintings soon...  :-*

Oh prachtig!

Look forward to them  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2007, 06:00:17 pm »
Kerry-I almost want to tell you to step away from the fan fiction because once you start it's up all night, pins and needles waiting for the next update, juggling multiple story lines and tears and heartache almost equal to the movie. And then again, AU happiness, becoming a part of a wonderful community and being exposed to some really terrific writers-kinda makes it all worthwhile.

Welcome to my world!

O0

Oops, tooooo late!!!   ::)

I'm well and thoroughly hooked already! And though I will always hold the original dear to my heart, I am loving the fan fiction stories. They are written with so much love. I'm also following another story and am so far up-to chapter 5 of it, but it appears I've got about 397 chapters to make-up!!!  Not that I'm complaining. I'm sure I'll love every moment of it! I still love the original and will always view it as "sacred text" - the tragedy of it. But these stories allow me to fantasize that Jack and Ennis somehow achieved happiness, and I need to believe that's somehow true.

Lovely to hear from you RouxB! I kinda feel I know you already, 'cause I've seen your pic elsewhere here (?a BBM function in Boston, if I remember correctly?)

Cheers,

Kerry
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2007, 06:13:35 pm »
Look what someone over at DC found me!! SQUEEE!! (In my excitement I didn't even see who... I think bbm_citygirl)

Not sure what SQUEEE means (?short for "squeal"?). Whatever it means, I agree, and double it! This pic of Jack on the subway with the oh-so-sad expression just knocked my little cotton sox right off! I just know who he's looking at, with that smouldering look! The cowboy with the big, rough hands!!! Sigh! (loooove the bed-hair!)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 06:17:20 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2007, 06:25:50 pm »
But these stories allow me to fantasize that Jack and Ennis somehow achieved happiness, and I need to believe that's somehow true.

That's why I started reading them too, Kerry. I really needed to and believe me, they have so helped me heal and feel better again. :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2007, 07:10:22 pm »
Oops, tooooo late!!!   ::)

I'm well and thoroughly hooked already! And though I will always hold the original dear to my heart, I am loving the fan fiction stories. They are written with so much love. I'm also following another story and am so far up-to chapter 5 of it, but it appears I've got about 397 chapters to make-up!!!  Not that I'm complaining. I'm sure I'll love every moment of it! I still love the original and will always view it as "sacred text" - the tragedy of it. But these stories allow me to fantasize that Jack and Ennis somehow achieved happiness, and I need to believe that's somehow true.

Lovely to hear from you RouxB! I kinda feel I know you already, 'cause I've seen your pic elsewhere here (?a BBM function in Boston, if I remember correctly?)

Cheers,

Kerry

What's the other story you're following, if you don't mind me asking?? I'm always looking for recs... or for other people who read the same ones I do  ;)

Not sure what SQUEEE means (?short for "squeal"?). Whatever it means, I agree, and double it! This pic of Jack on the subway with the oh-so-sad expression just knocked my little cotton sox right off! I just know who he's looking at, with that smouldering look! The cowboy with the big, rough hands!!! Sigh! (loooove the bed-hair!)

LOL, you know, I have no clue what squeee means or where it came from... something that I picked up around here somewhere (from June I think!  :-* ) it's when you're so excited that that is the only noise you can make, I guess!

By the way everyone, I should have ch. 7 posted sometime tomorrow  ;D

June, that other thing I'm working on is coming a little slower than I expected because I got sick then the JBLaY muse struck, but I'm about half way through the first chapter!  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2007, 07:38:58 pm »

LOL, you know, I have no clue what squeee means or where it came from... something that I picked up around here somewhere (from June I think!  :-* ) it's when you're so excited that that is the only noise you can make, I guess!
Haha Mandy! LMAO ~ well I picked it up from somewhere too! It feels real good to use sometimes even though it's rather silly!  ;D Over on the E&E threads they even started calling Squeeeeing Juneeeeeing!!!  ::)  ::)

By the way everyone, I should have ch. 7 posted sometime tomorrow  ;D
Well that deserves another SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE don't you think, Mandy??  :P  :-*

June, that other thing I'm working on is coming a little slower than I expected because I got sick then the JBLaY muse struck, but I'm about half way through the first chapter!  :)
You got sick again?  :( Awww  :( I'm not sad the JBLaY muse struck again so soon though!!! Whoooooo!!  ;D
God Mandy ~ I am SO looking forward to "that other thing" I can't wait to read your take on all of that!!! *excited*  :-*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2007, 09:12:55 pm »
You got sick again?   Awww   I'm not sad the JBLaY muse struck again so soon though!!! Whoooooo!! 
God Mandy ~ I am SO looking forward to "that other thing" I can't wait to read your take on all of that!!! *excited* 

Yeah, the same thing I was so sick with before apparently never went away completely, so now I'm on even stronger meds and missing more work :-\ (not that I've really been missing it  ;) )

And I can't wait to see what you think once I finally post it!! I'm trying to decide just how "David" to make him... if you know what I mean. I'm having lots of fun writing it (which is weird since it's a pretty heavy fic mood wise...)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2007, 09:22:14 pm »
What's the other story you're following, if you don't mind me asking?? I'm always looking for recs... or for other people who read the same ones I do  ;)

I'm reading "A Love Born from Steel." I just love the idea that Jack and Ennis are living happily-ever-after somewhere, in a Queen Anne farmhouse in Texas!

I came to it via the back door, so to speak, in that I saw a thread in the Happy Holidays section, where Jack was sending messages about how he and Ennis celebrated Christmas. Well, I can't begin to tell you how moved I was, so I sent him a teary little message saying how happy I was for them. "Jack" sent the most beautiful message back - I still get a lump in my throat when I think about it. I was so thrilled to actually get a message from dear sweet Jack. And he made me laugh. Said that even though they looked back on ol' Brokeback with great fordness, they were much happier in their big ol' comfy bed together, than they ever were in the tent that smelled of cat piss or worse on Brokeback!

It was the message from Jack that made me realise there was another option. It wasn't all doom and gloom. I could fantasize about them living happy, loving, long lives together.

I read all of Jack's messages in the Happy Holidays section first, before visiting the fan fiction section - and actually read "Just by Looking at You," before visiting Lazy L Farm.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 09:33:44 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2007, 09:41:43 pm »
A Love Born From Steel was my first fan fic... I still smile when I think about it  :)

Leslie's fic showed me that Jack and Ennis could have a happy ending, and I've been addicted ever since. I can't even imagine seeing those messages from lazy L jack before reading the story, I think it would have given me a heart attack!

Like I said before, I'm incredibly flattered that Just By Looking at You was your first fic and that you liked it so much! That means the world to me and I hope I can give our boys a happy ending too.  :-*

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2007, 09:48:29 pm »
EveryBODY happy

Everybody SQUEEE

O0

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2007, 10:44:44 pm »
EveryBODY happy

Everybody SQUEEE

O0

love ya Roux  :-*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2007, 09:28:26 pm »
New Chapter up  :D Serious angst warning...  :-\

http://minchout.livejournal.com/15932.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:33:49 pm by littleguitar »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2007, 10:07:32 pm »

***SPOILERS***

Yeah that was rough to read, Mandy  :'(  Reading about Jack's abuse as a boy is always hard to read but the way you wrote it was particularly chilling  :(
This whole chapter was so wonderfully written, as always  :) I'm so sad for the fake life Jack has to lead  :( and I'm dying for him to meet up with Ennis again. I want to know more about Ennis's life too  :)

Thanks Mandy!  :-*

Offline littleguitar

Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 7 up!
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2007, 10:25:34 pm »
maybe I should add an abuse warning... I just hate doing that because I hate giving away what happens, even if what happens is bad. Every time I see a warning like that at the beginning of a fic, I spend the whole time waiting for it to happen.

Thanks for the lovely comment June  :-* I'm glad you liked it, even though it was hard to read! More Ennis coming up in the next chapter!  :)

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2007, 10:42:49 pm »
So sad Mandy.  No one's really there for Jack, never has been, not even Lureen ( I don't like her!) no one understands him and everyone just keeps criticizing him, thinking they know what he needs and trying to force him into their mold for him.  AND the poor guy is so uncertain and unhappy, he doesn't want to disappoint any of them, all he really wants is to be himself and be loved just as he is. ::damn gonna cry again::  Beautifully written, you've just sucked me right in and now I really care about what happens.  Can't wait for Chapter 8 and Ennis perspective and maybe a little more Ennis background (please  ;) )

OBTW...I put a shameless advert for this story on the Jake, Jake, Jake thread over on Chez Tremblay...Hope you don't mind ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:46:53 pm by dot-matrix »

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2007, 11:16:10 pm »
maybe I should add an abuse warning... I just hate doing that because I hate giving away what happens, even if what happens is bad. Every time I see a warning like that at the beginning of a fic, I spend the whole time waiting for it to happen.

Thanks for the lovely comment June  :-* I'm glad you liked it, even though it was hard to read! More Ennis coming up in the next chapter!  :)

I think the angst warning you put in should be more than enough, Mandy  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2007, 06:44:13 pm »

mvansand76

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2007, 07:07:52 pm »
Chapter 8 up!

http://minchout.livejournal.com/16952.html

Oh goodie! Gonna read that first thing in the morning!

Offline dot-matrix

Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 8 up!
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2007, 07:08:37 pm »
Woo hoo!  ;D  gonna go read it NOW

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2007, 07:44:43 pm »
Awesome chapter... I almost began to think you abandoned this charged up story.  Thanks for the update!

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2007, 07:55:32 pm »
VERY NIIIIICE Mandy!  ;D

I especially loved all the gentle, tender touches; like Ennis's shy expression, Jack wanting to undress him and being so overwhelmed by everything that he saw while undressing him. And their kiss was just wonderful  :)
The convo between Jack and Dan was really good to read too.

I wonder where Jack and Ennis will take things from here? Can't wait to find out  :)

Thanks, Mandy  :-*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2007, 08:21:37 pm »
Awesome chapter... I almost began to think you abandoned this charged up story.  Thanks for the update!

Nope, didn't abandon it  :) I just got kicked in the ass a bit by RL this week, I'm hoping to continue putting out a chapter a week.

Thanks for all the comments guys  :D I'm glad you're enjoying it!

mvansand76

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2007, 02:30:52 pm »
That was really nice how they came back together, but I when did they arrange another date? Thank you for posting, I am really looking forward to reading the rest and where this is headed!  :-*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2007, 03:37:56 pm »
when did they arrange another date

Good question... That's a draft error, I'll go back and fix it. Ennis at the end of the last chapter asked Jack if they could have a drink the next night, but I never wrote them arranging the actual place and time. I just left it unsaid. Thanks for letting me know it's confusing!!  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2007, 04:43:30 pm »
Hey everyone, Chapter 9 up!

http://minchout.livejournal.com/17694.html

Enjoy! Comments and constructive criticism always welcome  :)

Offline Bigheart

Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 9 up!
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2007, 06:04:35 pm »
**SPOILERS**

Everything smelled of Ennis, his own body seemed to weep with the scent of him and Jack wanted it to last forever, linger as some small sign that Ennis was actually part of his life and not a character he’d created to bring truth to the happiness he’d been faking for so long.

These lines were so beautiful to me, Mandy  :)

Oh man, thank fuck for Ennis asking if he could see Jack again! Those lines were so wonderful too  :) And OMG when Lureen finds out it's a guy he's been cheating on her with! Jeeeez....

God, I hate Jack being in that depressing hotel room :( But in a way I'm glad he didn't go over to Dan's place either.

I just love the natural, real way you write, Mandy. It's absolutely wonderful. And once again I loved the convo with Jack and Dan :)
Thank you, Mandy. I loved it, as I always do  :)

Ohh and I'm really dying to find out more about Ennis's situation; what his home life is like, if he gets along with his brother, if he likes his job. Just stuff like that  :)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2007, 08:13:27 pm »

Catching up with some back reading. Have just read Chapter 7 and am sitting here at work like a big dummy, with tears in my eyes (again!)   :'(

I loved your reference to "ain't." Do you have a direct insight into my soul?!  :o  I'm an Australian and "ain't" is a word that is not used in this country. However, since seeing BBM I find that it now generously sprinkles my internal vocabulary - my inner, thinking voice. "Ain't" is there a lot now. And I like having it there. Given me a connection to Jack and Ennis. I'm waiting for the day when it slips out in public. I'll be sure to get a very quizzical look!   :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2007, 08:37:53 pm »
Chapter 8 up!

http://minchout.livejournal.com/16952.html

You combined passion and pathos so beautifully in Chapter 8. You are a very gifted writer.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2007, 08:46:56 pm »
Thank you so much, Kerry, I really appreciate that... especially your comment about "pathos".  :)

And I'm glad you liked the bit about "ain't", I'm also someone who takes on accents and slang very easily and I've found myself with a lot of new words in my vocab since BBM, so it makes me happy that that part rang true!

Oh, and I'm sorry I made you cry at work  ;) I've done the same thing over a few fan fics  :-*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:52 pm »
**SPOILERS**

Everything smelled of Ennis, his own body seemed to weep with the scent of him and Jack wanted it to last forever, linger as some small sign that Ennis was actually part of his life and not a character he’d created to bring truth to the happiness he’d been faking for so long.

These lines were so beautiful to me, Mandy  :)

Oh man, thank fuck for Ennis asking if he could see Jack again! Those lines were so wonderful too  :) And OMG when Lureen finds out it's a guy he's been cheating on her with! Jeeeez....

God, I hate Jack being in that depressing hotel room :( But in a way I'm glad he didn't go over to Dan's place either.

I just love the natural, real way you write, Mandy. It's absolutely wonderful. And once again I loved the convo with Jack and Dan :)
Thank you, Mandy. I loved it, as I always do  :)

Ohh and I'm really dying to find out more about Ennis's situation; what his home life is like, if he gets along with his brother, if he likes his job. Just stuff like that  :)

I'm so glad you liked those lines June!! You know you always have this crazy ability to pick out my favorites   :)

Thanks for the comments  :-*

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2007, 12:36:52 am »
Just LOVED the new Chapter Mandy!  YUMMY,
SPOILER SPACE
 :)
 ;)
 ;D
 :D
 >:(
 :(
 :o
 ???
 ::)
 8)
 :P
 :-\
 :'(
 :laugh:

Jack just lying there enveloped in the aura of their lovemaking, scents, rumpled sheets, atmosphere...anyone who has ever been in love with a grand passion knows what that's like and you captured it beautifully.  Then later when Lureen laid out her suspicions and kicked Jack out for the night, riding the train until it quit running and ending up in that seedy little motel so he could wallow in his pain.  This Jack doesn't bitch and moan as much as canon Jack but he sure wallows in his misery instead of taking the bull by the horns so to speak.  He'll do better though once he finds his center and that isn't going to happen until he knows he can trust Ennis and trust that what he's feeling is real and reciprocated.

Looking forward to Chapter 10  ;D

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2007, 02:54:38 am »
I'm caught up since I left you the PM. With such a spectacular start to the story I wondered how you could possibly keep that momentum going. Very happy to say I could not ask for more. The characterizations are clean and make sense in terms of how we "know" E&J. This story is on my hot list.

Keep it comin' gurl

O0

Heathen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2007, 06:50:13 pm »
Just By Looking at You Chapter 10 up!

http://minchout.livejournal.com/17935.html

Enjoy! comments and constructive criticism always welcome   :)

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 10 up!
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2007, 07:32:45 pm »
WOW....WOW...Oh, and WOW!

That's all I got to say 'bout that...
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2007, 11:15:16 pm »
<a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZNxdm824JGUS%2526i%253D4%252F4%255F1%255F112%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">SmileyCentral.com" border="0 and here I thought Christmas was last MONTH!!!!!

Woo Hoo Chapter 10...GREAT CHAPTER MANDY! 

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2007, 11:45:29 pm »
LOL thanks guys  :-*  ;D

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2007, 12:04:01 am »
Yikes! I think I need a cigarette! And I don't even smoke! That was hot, hot, hot! I loved it all, but I think my very favourite part was, "He felt as if a fire had been dropped into his stomach. The warmth of it spread out through his limbs and he smiled to himself, a secret smile that he hoped only Ennis would see in the future." You've done it to me at work again!  :'(
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2007, 03:36:23 am »
I loved those lines too, Kerry  :)

Once again a great chapter, Mandy and so soon!!

I'm so happy that Ennis considers Jack to be his friend, that's so good for Jack. As was the fact that Jack got to meet little Junior. That was real sweet  :)
I can't wait to find out how things will play out with Lureen and how the breakfast meeting with Dan will go.

I love the pacing of this story, Mandy and it was beautifully written, as always  :-*

Oh and the sex was HOT .....!  ;D  ::)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2007, 05:49:23 pm »
Chapter 11! (and I'm talking really unbeta'd here folks, I was only able to give it one quick read through, yikes!)

http://minchout.livejournal.com/18219.html

Enjoy, comments and const. crit always welcome!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 11 up!
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2007, 03:17:44 am »
OOOOO Mandy! Lovin' on you hard, gurl!

O0

Heathen

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2007, 03:50:45 am »
WOW Oh WOW oh WOW oh WOW!  three, count em 3,  chapters this week and all so GOOD!  I love you Mandy!  :-* You are the bestest of the best :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 03:53:50 am by dot-matrix »

mvansand76

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2007, 04:53:27 pm »
Hey Mandy-
Wanted to comment on 10 and then there was 11... I am not able to keep up anymore...  ;)

I like how you don't make the relationship and love between Jack and Ennis something that is perfect and sugary romantic. It's difficult, but worth fighting for.
That's the feeling I get from it and just wanted to share that!

Mel

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2007, 09:16:35 pm »
Thanks, Mel, I'm glad you like that  :-*

I know I've been posting like crazy the past few days! There might even be a new chapter up tomorrow or sunday, but after that it will slow down for awhile because I'm going out of town next thursday and work a lot before I leave, so hopefully all these quick updates will make up for a longish break  :)

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2007, 10:55:00 pm »
Shades of Gray Jack or Just by Looking at You Jack ??

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2007, 12:02:53 am »
Love it, Leslie  ;D

And here's how I imagine him (with Starbucks and beard) after his rough night alone at the hotel...

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2007, 12:07:00 am »
And thinking about his cowboy...

Ok, well, really I just like this pic and wanted to post it... it has nothing to do with JBLaY  ;)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2007, 12:14:32 am »
This is a JBLaY Jack for sure, lounging on the couch brooding...

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2007, 05:51:33 am »
Jesus Mandy ...... waking up to these, especially the black and white one! *drools* just makes my morning!  ;D

*SIGH*

He is just so gorgeous.

mvansand76

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2007, 06:28:55 am »
This is a JBLaY Jack for sure, lounging on the couch brooding...

That's not a very comfortable lounge couch, someone get this guy a comfortable lounge couch!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2007, 01:08:39 pm »
That's not a very comfortable lounge couch, someone get this guy a comfortable lounge couch!

LOL Mel! Especially if him and Ennis are going to be getting up to something naughty on that thing...

mvansand76

« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2007, 01:31:33 pm »
LOL Mel! Especially if him and Ennis are going to be getting up to something naughty on that thing...

Oooooh you got something planned for them?

;)

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2007, 02:03:41 pm »
hi Mandy,  Im in love with this story and the pics of jack posted to this thread.  Oh btw i love that b&w pic of jake too!  what a beautiful sexy man.  MMM cant get enough.  been reading like mad..i enjoy the quick updates, but will be as patient as i can waiting for you to get done with your little break.  Thanks you thank you thank you.  Cant wait to see how this story unravels.  Your devoted reader fan, dev

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2007, 12:22:10 am »
Thanks, Mel, I'm glad you like that  :-*

I know I've been posting like crazy the past few days! There might even be a new chapter up tomorrow or sunday, but after that it will slow down for awhile because I'm going out of town next thursday and work a lot before I leave, so hopefully all these quick updates will make up for a longish break  :)

Ooooo have fun during your time out of town, but leave us in a good place before you go, if you can,  O.K.  Please  ;)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2007, 12:24:38 am »
I'll try my hardest, Dottie! I have to warn you though, I'm feeling rather angsty myself the past few days and that tends to come out in my writing....  :-\

Maybe I'll just write an entire chapter of mindblowing sex right before I leave, how does that sound  ;)

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2007, 12:56:21 am »
I'll try my hardest, Dottie! I have to warn you though, I'm feeling rather angsty myself the past few days and that tends to come out in my writing....  :-\

Maybe I'll just write an entire chapter of mindblowing sex right before I leave, how does that sound  ;)

:laugh: that'd be OK too  ;D  :laugh: You go girl!

This shot of Jake made me think of your Jack talking to Ennis, or maybe Dan on the cellphone.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 06:41:02 am by dot-matrix »

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2007, 06:39:41 am »
This one of Heath made me think of Ennis the first time Jack sees him on the train

and this one reminded me of Ennis later in story when they meet at the bar the second time

« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 08:51:18 am by MaineWriter »

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2007, 04:17:49 pm »
I love love love that top one Dottie, there is a rugged, lonely quality to him in that pic that fits perfectly, IMO

thanks  :-*

karen1129

« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2007, 10:22:26 pm »
I need an update !!!!!!  Please

Karen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2007, 07:57:17 pm »
Just By Looking at You, Ch. 12 up...

Titled -- Who Cares about the Super Bowl??  ;)

http://minchout.livejournal.com/19786.html

Enjoy, comments and con crit always welcome and much appreciated....

Offline dot-matrix

Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 12 up!
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2007, 03:26:13 am »
Thanks for updateing Mandy, great story, I'm still realing from todays revelations to Lureen.  Not sure yet how I feel about that...I'll get back to you.  ??? but no worries it's all good!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2007, 11:26:06 am »
Thanks for updateing Mandy, great story, I'm still realing from todays revelations to Lureen.  Not sure yet how I feel about that...I'll get back to you.  ??? but no worries it's all good!

No problem Dottie, LOL

Seriously though, don't feel bad about telling me something felt wrong... I don't bite and would love to hear it.  :)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2007, 11:30:42 am »
I'm actually quite glad he was brutally honest with Lureen, painful as it may be for both of them. I think you wrote that SO well, Mandy.
Wish Jack could lay off the drugs and the booze and just be able to feel a bit happier. I worry about him and wish things would start looking up for him a bit. Loved how Ennis was just there for him as a friend  :)

Thanks, Mandy  :-*

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2007, 11:33:50 am »
thanks, June!  :-*

Don't worry, I don't plan on letting him get carried away with the alcohol, I think that this chapter is going to be a turning point for him but in that moment he just didn't quite know how to deal with losing his best friend and wife possibly baby in the same day. He won't wallow in it, like TLBoH Jack tended to do.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2007, 11:37:03 am »
thanks, June!  :-*

Don't worry, I don't plan on letting him get carried away with the alcohol, I think that this chapter is going to be a turning point for him but in that moment he just didn't quite know how to deal with losing his best friend and wife possibly baby in the same day. He won't wallow in it, like TLBoH Jack tended to do.

That's good to hear, Mandy, cause he pretty much hit rock bottom in this chapter.

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2007, 02:44:15 pm »
I loved the writing of Lureen in this chapter. Just with that line 'He's a homophobic pig' you added a whole new layer of complexity to her.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2007, 12:06:35 am »
I enjoyed this chapter, Mandy.

Leslie.

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2007, 12:09:15 am »
Thanks, Leslie! don't worry, I'm getting back to your email... I just haven't had a chance yet. I've been running around all day and just popping on line occasionally.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2007, 12:14:01 am »
Mandy - you know how insecure I am, don't you!! LOL Thanks for the note.  ;)

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #138 on: February 06, 2007, 03:58:26 am »
came across a painting by a prominent gay artist Mandy that reminded me so much of JBLaY.  His name is MIchael Breyette.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #139 on: February 06, 2007, 10:01:21 am »
Oh ~ I like that painting! Think it's really sexy!

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #140 on: February 06, 2007, 10:21:11 am »
Thanks, Dottie, I love that!

I like that it's called "trainspotting" too  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2007, 11:18:56 am »
Hey Mandy! Just read your chapter and it made me feel so sorry for Lureen! Also for Jack, I guess for the both of them and the hopeless situation they are in.

What made me kind of happy was that Ennis said "Did you tell her about us?" He is already thinking of Jack and him as us! Yippeee!

Guess I already told you I am hopeful that this is the way for Jack to go and that he will eventually find the creativity to write again and it will be beautiful!

OMG- I just scrolled down and read that this chapter is going to be the turning point for Jack... see that's the feeling I got from this chapter!

:D

karen1129

« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2007, 10:28:20 am »
me likes that painting !!!! 

Loving this story too. 

Karen

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2007, 11:06:10 am »
OMG- I just scrolled down and read that this chapter is going to be the turning point for Jack... see that's the feeling I got from this chapter!

Yay yay!! I'm glad you got that feeling! Now lets just hope I can pull it off right?  ;)

I've been having some trouble writing this one lately, don't really know what that's about. It came really easily to me up until the last chapter  :-\

mvansand76

« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2007, 11:17:04 am »
Yay yay!! I'm glad you got that feeling! Now lets just hope I can pull it off right?  ;)

I've been having some trouble writing this one lately, don't really know what that's about. It came really easily to me up until the last chapter  :-\

There is always a barrier at a certain point in a story, where you need to try and find the energy to make the story go on, and you really are at a point where things are going to change, so it's really exciting! I understand the feeling, I have the same thing with my story now, but maybe you need to keep in mind the ending (if you already have that in mind) and work towards that! Not that I want it to end!  :P

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2007, 08:23:40 pm »
exciting is right, it's one of those points where it's a little exciting and terrifying because you can either drop the ball completely or make it work. So I'm going to do a complete read through before I go any further and like you said think about where I want these two to go

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2007, 11:40:44 pm »

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2007, 12:19:32 am »

I just had to post this pic because I found it today and this is exactly how I picture Jack in this story (when he's happy, anyway  ;)). He's even in what looks like a subway station!  :D

And he's ridiculously hot here, so that's a plus as well  :)

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2007, 12:22:00 am »
I also wanted to say I'm sorry that it's been so long since I've updated this. I think it's been a month now....

I have almost an entire chapter written, but I kind of want to scrap the whole thing. Guh. This story hates me right now and Jack is not cooperating. So... I don't really know.

I have no intention of dropping the ball on this one, but I'm really not sure when the next update will be. I'm trying for this weekend.

Offline coffeecat33

« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2007, 12:56:22 am »
Don't force it, Mandy. I'll send you a PM soon about fan fic
Leslie.

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Unblocking the writer's muse...
« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2007, 01:59:37 am »
Evenin'.

Well, sometimes it takes more time.  Just stare at that picture of Jake G up above, and you'll get into his head, and off you'll go, writing up a storm.  Or, you'll just get a smile on your face, and head out whistling a happy tune...and it'll come to you. 

Or, maybe you need Ennis to make you think. He's always the thinker,almost too much of a thinker, worrying about what could happen...to the point of being introverted. Isn't that the definition of his life, to a degree? It happens while he's waiting for something to happen.  Better not keep Jack waiting too long, or he'll happen and move on...NOT!!  They're fated to be with each other...they have to figure a way to talk out their fears and hopes together...and you have to figure out how to tell us about that talk...just like you have so successfully for the past 12 chapters. 

Or, maybe you need to kick back with a Hornsby's Hard Cider Amber Draft...works for me! 

Do I ramble sometimes?! Just so much to say...Ennis should try it sometime. 

In any event, we wait patiently...some more than others!!...for the next installment of this great story.  Thanks.  :)      [Note: first time using :)...just for you.]

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2007, 03:48:02 am »

I just had to post this pic because I found it today and this is exactly how I picture Jack in this story (when he's happy, anyway  ;)). He's even in what looks like a subway station!  :D

And he's ridiculously hot here, so that's a plus as well  :)

OMG Mandy! You always find the BEST pics of Jake! Oh God, ridiculously hot, is the PERFECT description for this pic AND I agree, it's also the PERFECT pic for your Jack!

Don't worry about updating.....although I'm sorry you're so blocked atm  :(

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2007, 10:00:34 am »
[Note: first time using  :)...just for you.]

Aw, thanks!

Or, maybe you need to kick back with a Hornsby's Hard Cider Amber Draft...works for me! 

That sounds like the plan for me  ;)

A little Zodiac, a few drinks, I think I'll be in the mood after that!

Offline cwby30

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Kicking Back...
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2007, 12:26:17 am »
Evenin'.

Funny you should mention Zodiac.  Saw "Zodiac" yesterday afternoon.  Long [155 minutes], but it held my attention the whole time and I coulda watched more.  Jake stars, and does an excellent job.  The film gradually becomes all his, just like the search for the Zodiac engulfed his character in real life.  Won't give any spoilers, but there are a coupla favorite scenes for me, especially one towards the end. 

Maybe seeing that will give the ol' muse a jump-start, too. 

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2007, 09:52:05 pm »
Just By Looking at You, Chapter 13 (finally... sheesh, sorry about that!)

http://minchout.livejournal.com/23006.html

Comments and Con. Crit. always welcome and much appreciated!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 13 up!
« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2007, 10:51:33 pm »
Kissing you first- MWAH!-feeding the cats and then settling in to enjoy.

O0

Heathen

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2007, 08:44:24 am »
Another great, great chapter Mandy!  ;D

I loved the bit about Jack waking up, and I can't wait to see what happens next with J&E, Dan & JE - I can really sense something building here...

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2007, 09:20:22 am »
**SPOILERS**

Another GREAT chapter!   :-*
You have me so intrigued now as to what happened with Ennis back home!  :-\  KE is an absolute jerk for saying what he did to Ennis   >:(  And Dan!! Wtf was he doing there?? What gives him the right to act in that way towards Jack??   >:(

I really liked how you write Ennis and Junior together, that's so sweet  :)  Loved this line, it's so very simple but just lovely:

She nodded, her pigtails bouncing at her back and Ennis put a hand on the soft hair, ran a piece of it between his thumb and forefinger

I really loved your first paragraph, it was beautifully written:

Ennis woke early and blinked into the sun making its slow entry through the dingy curtains and into the room. Jack lay next to him on his stomach. His mouth hung open, his face pressed into the rough fabric of the pillow. He snored softly, not enough to wake Ennis, but enough for him to hear it and to make him smile just a little. What harm would there be in that? Jack wasn’t awake, he couldn’t see him. Ennis wondered if Jack would notice the smile even if he was awake. There were days when he thought that no one saw how much he felt things, that he didn’t let anything come to the surface. Other days, he felt transparent. Those were the days that scared him, and there had been many of them since he’d met Jack Twist

And I loved these lines too:

“You sleep all right?” Ennis said, feeling warm with Jack pressed against him, happy to have taken part in Jack’s waking ritual.

I also loved the talking to Ennis gave Jack, I think Jack really needs to hear stuff like that now and again *sigh* They both have a lot of stuff to work out and deal with and none of it is going to be easy   :(
I wonder what Jack will do now? And how Ennis will deal with KE? Lots to look forward too Mandy  :)

Thanks so much  :-*

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2007, 06:24:39 pm »
Chapter 14!

http://minchout.livejournal.com/24219.html

SPOILER

Beautiful chapter -

.  .  .He sat for a long moment, his heart pounding with what he was about to do, sweat mingling with the drizzle still falling in the cold night, then he reached out and grabbed Jack’s hand. .  .

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2007, 09:11:11 am »
Jeez this chapter is SOOOO romantic! I had absolutely melted by the end of it  :'(

Feels like there's been a shift in the relationship between the boys here and the love between them is really deepening.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2007, 01:19:52 pm »
Chapter 15 is up and, as always, worth the wait:

http://minchout.livejournal.com/30158.html

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #161 on: May 23, 2007, 08:24:21 am »
Just wonderful... :)

Offline dot-matrix

Re: Just By Looking at You, Chapter 17 up!
« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2007, 03:31:08 pm »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2007, 07:24:24 pm »
Has anyone heard from our good Bud littleguitar lately?  I've been missing seeing her around.  And, it looks like her stories are now friends-locked.  I hope everything is OK.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline littleguitar

« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2007, 10:29:47 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm sorry I haven't been around for so long. Thank you Dottie for keeping my thread updated!

Amanda is right, I've friends locked my journal. If anyone is still interested in reading my stories, just comment on the open entry at my journal (I probably won't see it here) and you'll be added.

And just as a heads up, chapter 18 of JBLaY should be up tomorrow, Saturday at the latest.  :)

Thanks for reading! You guys rock  ::)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2007, 11:28:24 pm »
Thanks so much for checking in Bud!  It's nice to hear from you.  Looking forward to the new chapter.  ;D
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2007, 10:30:52 am »
where's the open entry on her journal, so i can get out of perpetual friend's lock!?!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2007, 11:44:13 am »
Try this link, dev:

http://minchout.livejournal.com/

Marie

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2007, 05:30:01 pm »
Thanks Marie

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2007, 03:56:46 am »
Minchalattor-

I love and miss you

O0

Heathen

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2007, 10:01:48 pm »

Offline saucycobblers

« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2007, 05:33:26 am »
I love this story and so left a message hoping to be granted access to it, but I've just checked and my message seems to have gone! Now I'm not technologically minded so dont know if something went wrong or my message was deleted for some reason, but now I'm at a loss as to what to do in order to read the newest chapters.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Brokeback_Dev

« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2007, 01:09:14 pm »
send another message..  i messaged Mandy from both lij and bettermost..  it took a few days, but ive finally been friended.  the new chapters are really good.  keep trying!