Author Topic: The BBM-painting my boyfriend made for me  (Read 18804 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: The BBM-painting my boyfriend made for me
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 04:05:42 am »
Water and clouds are HARD to paint.  (In my opinion they are impossible to paint, so your boyfriend is a friggin' genius.)  This is so lovely.  What are the dimensions, and where are you putting it?  Thanks Melissa's boyfriend!  :)

Clarissa...

The talent Melissa's boyfriend has is incredible for sure. Those clouds look so real I feel as if I could reach out and touch them.  :D

Melissa showed me another painting her boyfriend made. In it, some people were walking along a beautiful beach (I assume in Holland) and he actually painted the reflections of the people in the water. It was incredible, wonderful and beautiful.

I could look at pictures like this all day long.  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 08:05:52 am »
Water and clouds are HARD to paint.  (In my opinion they are impossible to paint, so your boyfriend is a friggin' genius.)  This is so lovely.  What are the dimensions, and where are you putting it?  Thanks Melissa's boyfriend!  :)

Thanks so much! I don't know the dimensions in inches, but it's about 1 meter and 20 centimeters width and somewhat less than a meter height... I'm putting it in our bedroom. With all the paintings he has done until now, there is hardly any space left in the rest of our house! :)

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 04:27:42 pm »
That's a painting!?  At first, I thought it was real; either a poster or picture.  Beautiful and serene!  What a birthday gift!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 04:43:57 pm »
Yeehaw!  That's beautiful work!  Thanks for sharing.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 06:22:32 pm »
Absolutely gorgeous  :D
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2006, 02:52:43 am »
Absolutely gorgeous  :D

It's amazing, isn't it Nicky?  :D

I don't understand how people do it??!!  ???

I sure can't.

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2006, 02:14:41 pm »
It's amazing, isn't it Nicky?  :D

It sure is. The water is my favourite part - incredibly difficult to get that sense of movement and luminosity that water has in that kinda light. I'm more of a charcoal and chalk girl myself - they're my favourite materials. I like to do big, physical drawings and make a mess with the charcoal!!

J.M.W Turner is my favourite artist.
I've seen this one up close in the National Gallery in London and it's amazing. You don't get a sense of how overpowering it is to look at from a small picture...

The most famous of the storm series. That's a ship in the middle of the picture. Legend has it that he tied himself to the mast in order to get a sense of what it's like to be in the middle of a storm at sea. Nutter... ::)

One of my favourites...
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 02:25:04 pm »
Hey sweetie!  What a nice piece of work!  What Saucy said: the light playing on the water is terrific — and on the trees in the valley and the grasses in the foreground, too. Believeable natural light is probably the hardest (and most important) element to capture in painting.

(At first I thought the tiny speck next to the tent was a little beige "Ennis" so I was going to suggest he put a 'lil blue "Jack" speck next to it.  But looking again I realize it's a fire.)  Very nice!!

mvansand76

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2006, 05:09:47 pm »
Thanks you all!

Nicky, my boyfriend worked a long time on the water, if you were able to look at it up close (you can't see it on the picture) you would see tiny specks of white which constitute the tiny waves in the water.

We are now looking at the pictures of the Turner paintings you posted, it's very impressive and my boyfriend is especially impressed with the one with the rocks, the clouds above it are so beautiful and threatening at the same time. Thanks for posting, we will make sure to look for it at the National Gallery next time we are in London!

Hey Laura - LOL at the little beige Ennis! Yeah, it's a campfire... ;D I actually asked him to paint them or the horses, but it's too far away, you wouldn't see it... :(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2006, 02:16:57 am »
Nicky... That artwork is amazing. Thanks for posting it!  :D