Author Topic: How Do You Celebrate Christmas?  (Read 10114 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
How Do You Celebrate Christmas?
« on: November 29, 2006, 04:41:41 pm »
It's almost Christmas!  :D

I thought it might be interesting if everyone would tell us how they celebrate Christmas in their families. I know there are people here from all over the world, and the way people celebrate the holiday can differ greatly from country to country. I'm sure many people would find it very interesting if others would tell us about some of their Christmas customs and memories. I know I would!

How do you celebrate Christmas where you live? Please tell us about some of your special Christmas memories!

Here are a few of mine....

I have always been a fanatic when it comes to Christmas. I made it a point to always decorate our house, inside and out, with as many lights and decorations as possible. After I landed my first real job at Hickory Farms back in 1978, I spent my entire first paycheck on Christmas lights. I decorated the entire roofline of our house with lights (the big ceramic ones). I covered every bush and pine tree in the yard with lights too. I lined our driveway and sidewalk in lights, and we had electric candles in every window! In fact, our house was so well decorated (much to the dismay of both my parents) WIBC, a local radio station in Indianapolis actually flew their helicopter over our house and announced it on the radio!

My family is of mixed heritage (Lakota Sioux, English, Dutch and French) and we always tried to incorporate the customs of those countries into our Christmas celebrations. Since my mother was 1/2 Lakota, we had many wooden and straw angels on our Christmas tree dressed in Sioux costumes. I use to pull those ornaments off the tree and play with them. In doing so, I broke many of those ornaments, and I haven't seen one for years now. We would also smudge the Nativity Scene with a small bundle of sage just before we went to bed on Christmas Eve.

My mother was also Creole, and we observed the Creole custom of lining our driveway and sidewalk with "Luminaries" to help Santa Claus find our house on Christmas Eve night! For many years, we also placed a Yule log in the fireplace, but we never lit it. Dad was afraid of leaving a fire burning in the fireplace unattended. So we would place holly and ornaments around the log instead.

My Great grandfather was from Arnhem Holland and we celebrated Sinterklaas day when I was young. Starting with the last week of November, I tried to be on my best behavior because I knew I could expect a visit from Sint Nicolaas. On Sint Nicolaas eve, we would sing "Sinterklaas liedjes" (Sinterklaas carols) and fill our shoes with a handful of straw and a shiny apple for Schimmel, Sinterklaas' beautiful white horse (mom would never let us use her carrots for some reason). The next morning our shoes would be sitting next to the fireplace filled with candy, small gifts and normally a $5.00 bill! Sinterklaas himself would also visit us. He would stand outside our front door, ring a handbell and then enter our home. After questioning us about our behavior during the year, he would toss a handful of candy and coins into the air and quickly leave. Only later did I find out Sinterklaas was actually my grandpa.

Quite often we would drive to Cincinnati on Christmas Eve, where we would visit relatives. After attending Christmas Mass the next morning, we would drive back to Indianapolis for our "private" Christmas.

I still remember the day I found out about Santa Claus. My sister and I were playing downstairs in the basement and she tossed a ball into my dad's office, located next to our playroom. As I walked into the office to retrieve the ball, I noticed some presents hidden inside a closet. When I opened the door and looked, I noticed the tags on many of the presents which read "To David From Santa" and "To Susan From Santa". Of course, I spent the next Christmas searching the house from top to bottom so I could find my Christmas presents ahead of time and peek inside of them! After a few years of this, Mom started hiding our Christmas presents at the neighbor's house! Mom was ALWAYS thinking one step ahead of me!

What are some of your best Christmas memories? How do you celebrate Christmas where you live?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

mvansand76

Re: How Do You Celebrate Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 06:13:40 pm »
My Great grandfather was from Arnhem Holland and we celebrated Sinterklaas day when I was young. Starting with the last week of November, I tried to be on my best behavior because I knew I could expect a visit from Sint Nicolaas. On Sint Nicolaas eve, we would sing "Sinterklaas liedjes" (Sinterklaas carols) and fill our shoes with a handful of straw and a shiny apple for Schimmel, Sinterklaas' beautiful white horse (mom would never let us use her carrots for some reason). The next morning our shoes would be sitting next to the fireplace filled with candy, small gifts and normally a $5.00 bill! Sinterklaas himself would also visit us. He would stand outside our front door, ring a handbell and then enter our home. After questioning us about our behavior during the year, he would toss a handful of candy and coins into the air and quickly leave. Only later did I find out Sinterklaas was actually my grandpa.

Oh that's lovely! We never really celebrate Christmas apart from going to see family and having fondue on Christmas day. I have so many good Sinterklaas memories though. I remember my mom and dad would tell us on 'pakjesavond' to look upstairs and we would walk into our rooms and see that everything in our room was a mess and the window was open and in the middle of the room would be two large bags of presents, they were brought there by Sinterklaas' not so tidy helpers. The 'schoen zetten' was a thing we did a few nights before 'pakjesavond', and in addition to setting one of our shoes in front of the door or the fireplace, we would sing songs for Sinterklaas before going to bed. The next morning there would be candy mice and small chocolate initials in it, as well as a handful of 'pepernoten' (tiny gingerbread cookies). Nowadays we make 'surprises' (pronounced SUHRPREESUH), we wrap the presents we get for each other in a special way, for instance we make a huge dog or cat or fantasy creature and we hide the present in it. Or we wrap it in different layers so the receiver of the present has to wade through layers and layers to get to the present.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 06:32:46 pm »
Melissa! Thanks for posting this. I have so many happy memories of Sinterklaas from my childhood. I remember Zwarte Piet always scared me too. I never did see him (I never saw Schimmel either), but I remember what my grandpa told me would happen to me if I was naughty.

Thanks for telling us about your Sinterklaas memories Melissa!

Those "surprises" sound like a lot of fun too!  :D

Edit: Ooops! I just noticed a typo!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 01:45:43 am by David925 »

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 07:58:29 pm »
We didn't have a lot when I was a child, but I always knew that my parents gave me all that they could. I knew they supported me in everything in I did. They were always there when I needed them. And, last but not least, I knew they loved me for who I am and all that I could be.

I can remember going to the store one Christmas Eve and getting a pair of cowgirl boots. I must have been about 6 or 7 years old at the time. That was the only present frivolous present I had that year, but I didn't care. Just having a tree with lights was enough to make my brother and me happy.  I grew up on a small horse ranch in Montana and my Dad raised quarter horses for a while.  At Christmas he would hitch up this old sleigh if it wasn’t too cold and we would ride that the Church on Christmas Eve after dinner at Grandma’s house.  I always remember how warm and cozy it felt to come home in the sleigh piled high with blankets, singing carols.  Then coming around the bend in the road and seeing our house with the lights on and the lit tree in the window.  The house would be warm and snug and smell like the delicious things my Mother had been baking.

One year times must have been really hard, because there weren't any store bought presents. My Dad made me a doll house and my brother a bookcase and Mom knitted us sweaters and made fudge and peppermint lollypops.  We always had a tree because my Dad and my brother would go out into the woods and just cut one.  I remember going to my Grandmother's house on Christmas Eve that year. Her tree was all decorated, and there were presents under it to all the family members. A short time later, my Mother told us she had to go home to get something she had forgotten. While she was gone, my brother and I decided we needed to put more presents under the tree, so we found some empty boxes and wrapping paper. We spent quite some time wrapping those boxes to put under the tree. In each box we would put a note promising a chore or some such thing, so it wouldn't be empty. When we came out to put the presents under the tree, boy did we get a surprise. Santa had been!!! There were toys and new clothes just for us. We knew Grandma had done, but we never said a word.

Another memory is the gift I gave a teacher one year. I was in the second grade and ALL the children in my room were bringing the teacher a gift. I knew that I just had to bring her something too or I would die. I also knew things were tight at home and there was no money for such extra’s.  So I emptied my piggybank, looked under all the cushions on the sofa and in the bottom of all Mom’s old purses. I also collected old soda bottles one Saturday afternoon and turned them in for the deposit at the gas station. (really dating myself there ;D ) Still all I could raise was 95 cents.  Now this was 1966 after all and 95 cents went further in those day but it still did not lend it self to elaborate gifts.  I went into to the five and dime and found that all I could get were 4 white linen handkerchiefs.  I was so upset, handkerchiefs, they were boring! They weren’t even the pretty ones with the embroidery.  But my Mama told me they were fine.  After supper that night she spent hours teaching me how to embroider little pink rose buds in the corner of each one.   I was less than satisfied with the results, it  was VERY obivious that some dumb kid had done the embroidery.  But my Mom was certain everything would be OK.  The next day when I went to school, I was nervous to give my teacher her gift. And I became even more so as I watched her open all the other gifts, I just wanted to run and hide. I realized that my gift was nothing but a tackily embroidered piece of junk compared to the others. I should have left them alone, now I had ruined them and she would never want them.  But, when she opened the box, you would have thought I had given her fine Egyptian cotton hankerchiefs embroidered by cloistered nuns. My teacher knew that I had made it, I'm sure, but she was a very gracious lady and told everyone how beautiful they were and then gently tucked one in her sleeve. I was on cloud 9.  God Bless Mrs. House.  I still remember her with love.

Nowadays, I try to spend Christmas with family no matter where we are, we try to get together.  This year my Dad and Bob and I are going to North Carolina to be with my brother and his family.   For me, family and love are what Christmas is all about.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 05:02:22 am by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 04:24:16 am »
Thanks for posting Dottie!

It sounds like you have some wonderful Christmas memories; the kind of memories money can't buy. Those are the best ones, in my opinion!  :)

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 01:00:19 am »
These are beautiful, beautiful stories.  If I may, I'm going to move this thread to the holiday forum, where I think it will get good holiday attention.

Reading your posts, David, Melissa, and Dottie, I was getting more and more emotional, so that by the time Mrs. House opened her beautiful handkerchiefs and tucked one in her sleeve, the tears spilled down.  God bless us, every one! 

:-*

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2006, 01:32:45 am »
Oh so tough but here goes.

I have very mixed feelings about Christmas. We were not particularly monied-okay, we were not at all monied-but my mother always bought a nice tree with our meager funds and it was beatifully decorated. But something was always missing. My sister and I rarely had presents-my little brother pretty much got everything primary because my father had the money (my parents divorced when I was 10) and he doted on his only son.

My mother has a huge family and our Christmas dinners were fabulous-loud and rowdy and fun. Even with, I never attached to the holiday.
As an adult I try to add some festivity to my holiday self but it is a challenge.

O0

Heathen

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 04:59:00 pm »
These are beautiful, beautiful stories.  If I may, I'm going to move this thread to the holiday forum, where I think it will get good holiday attention.

Reading your posts, David, Melissa, and Dottie, I was getting more and more emotional, so that by the time Mrs. House opened her beautiful handkerchiefs and tucked one in her sleeve, the tears spilled down.  God bless us, every one! 

:-*

Thanks for moving this thread for me Clarissa! Ah... the power of an Administrator!  :)

Stupid me posted this thread in the most inappropriate folder I could find.  ???

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 05:01:07 pm »
Oh so tough but here goes.

I have very mixed feelings about Christmas. We were not particularly monied-okay, we were not at all monied-but my mother always bought a nice tree with our meager funds and it was beatifully decorated. But something was always missing. My sister and I rarely had presents-my little brother pretty much got everything primary because my father had the money (my parents divorced when I was 10) and he doted on his only son.

My mother has a huge family and our Christmas dinners were fabulous-loud and rowdy and fun. Even with, I never attached to the holiday.
As an adult I try to add some festivity to my holiday self but it is a challenge.

O0

RouxB, those Christmas dinners of yours sound like they were a lot of fun!

Thanks for telling us about your Christmases when you were a child.  :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 05:32:24 pm »
I have mixed feelings about Christmas, too, mostly because I'm an atheist and I feel like a hypocrite celebrating it, and also because like RouxB, my childhood Christmases were lacking.  In my case, Dad left when I was two or three.  My Mom would go and pick up presents from him to us on Christmas Eve, but he would rarely actually make an appearance himself.  I have memories of my mother being visibly upset (Christmas and all the holidays in general were very important to her, and she never got over their break-up) and my brothers being none too thrilled that Daddy didn't show up yet again.

Christmases got better in my teen years - I lived with my father, but he would let me spend every weekend and holiday and half the summer with my mother.  My Mom was working during those years and loved to decorate her tree and buy my brothers and me really thoughtful and heartfelt presents.  Her Christmas dinners were always awesome, too.

I didn't really lose my religion until I was in my mid-20s.  It's always been a mixed bag since then - my husband and I would go be with family every year and take part in their traditions, but we didn't really decorate or exchange gifts ourselves.  Now that we have a son and he is at prime Santa age, we did up a tree and some wreaths last year and this year entirely for his benefit.  It's lovely when seen through the eyes of a happy child.  But we're trying not to overdo it too much because we don't want to have to explain to him someday why it is that we pull out all the stops when in fact we don't believe in any of it.  I've tried to rationalize it that I'm celebrating the birth of a great and obviously inspirational and influential man.  But we try to keep it low-key because it just doesn't feel right to all out for it, you know?  Same goes for Easter.
No more beans!

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 05:48:12 pm »
I love your Christmas stories. I especially love your memories Dot.  I love the present for your teacher story.

We came over from Ireland when I was a little girl. We were dirt poor. I don't think we celebrated christmas too much when I was little Just because we didnt have the money..  My memories of Christmas come in around the age of 8.  I remember that my dad cut a tree down and my mom (because she had a new job)  bought lights and a box of ornaments, iceicles for the tree. I remember feeling just like the other kids in school. Cause we were having Christmas. And I loved the tree so much. I couldn't stop looking at it. Fixing it, smelling it. And constantly watering it.

Anyways. Apparently my brother who was a year older was getting his own ideas. While we were sleeping ( while sugar plums danced..) All of a sudden there was a loud crash in the living room. Everybody jumped up and ran out. I was sure it was Santa. When my dad turned on the light there was my brother lying under the tree. he had knocked it down on top of himself. He also had opened what few presents we had and scattered them all over the floor. for instance. Someone got checkers, they were all over the place. Every present was open! What a mess. My mother and father were both so upset. Especially my mom because I think she was so happy about being able to do this for us. Making a real Christmas for us. Well I don't have to tell ya but.. boy did he get it!!

I remember not feeling so bad about the presents as I did about the tree. Although my younger brother had a tantrum,  I just loved that tree. And I felt bad that it would be the only one chance  the tree had to be a" Christmas tree" and my brother knocked it over. But we got the tree back up but a few of the lights were broken and almost all the ornaments were (all 6 of them I think).  I know it sounds so simple and silly now. But we tell that story every christmas. our kids love to hear it. "The year my brother ruined Christmas"   My brother still remembers the scare  he got when the tree fell on him. And the good spanking he got.  But he can't really explain to us why he did it.  But we all know. 

So the best part of christmas for me is still the tree. it always reminds me of my first beautiful tree. And telling old childhood stories. And of course, making fun of my brother.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 05:55:17 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 12:25:26 am »
Dot, do you have any idea how beautiful this seems to somebody who grew up where we hardly ever had snow for Christmas--maybe once or twice in my childhood--once that I remember for sure, but that's southeastern Pennsylvania for you!

I can remember going to the store one Christmas Eve and getting a pair of cowgirl boots. I must have been about 6 or 7 years old at the time. That was the only present frivolous present I had that year, but I didn't care. Just having a tree with lights was enough to make my brother and me happy.  I grew up on a small horse ranch in Montana and my Dad raised quarter horses for a while.  At Christmas he would hitch up this old sleigh if it wasn’t too cold and we would ride that the Church on Christmas Eve after dinner at Grandma’s house.  I always remember how warm and cozy it felt to come home in the sleigh piled high with blankets, singing carols.  Then coming around the bend in the road and seeing our house with the lights on and the lit tree in the window.  The house would be warm and snug and smell like the delicious things my Mother had been baking.

One year times must have been really hard, because there weren't any store bought presents. My Dad made me a doll house and my brother a bookcase and Mom knitted us sweaters and made fudge and peppermint lollypops.  We always had a tree because my Dad and my brother would go out into the woods and just cut one.  I remember going to my Grandmother's house on Christmas Eve that year. Her tree was all decorated, and there were presents under it to all the family members. A short time later, my Mother told us she had to go home to get something she had forgotten. While she was gone, my brother and I decided we needed to put more presents under the tree, so we found some empty boxes and wrapping paper. We spent quite some time wrapping those boxes to put under the tree. In each box we would put a note promising a chore or some such thing, so it wouldn't be empty. When we came out to put the presents under the tree, boy did we get a surprise. Santa had been!!! There were toys and new clothes just for us. We knew Grandma had done, but we never said a word.

It's like a real Little House on the Prairie--and, believe me, I do NOT mean that comment in a snide way.

Anyway, most of my Christmas memories involve my mother; this year will be the eleventh Christmas without her. I was an only child, so I got spoiled rotten at Christmas, even though we were just ordinary working-class folks, living on my dad's factory salary, as my mother generally did not work outside the home when I was very small. It's embarrassing now to think of the money my parents wasted on some of the things Santa brought me.

On the other hand, some gifts were definitely not a waste of money, for example, my Marx "Fort Apache" play set (of course I wanted the largest version in the Sears catalogue that year!  :laugh: ), my Lincoln Logs, and the train set that the Tyco company issued that was intended to represent the train from Petticoat Junction. And I still have those presents, all from the mid-1960s, and I expect to keep them till the day I die!

One year the Marx company issued a playset based on The Flintstones--an entire miniature Bedrock in plastic, complete with figures of Fred and Wilma and Barney and Betty. I really wanted one of those playsets--a friend of mine already had one. My mother clearly managed to get the last set in town--it was the display model from one of the local stores! So I got the added benefit of having a display board to set up the town of Bedrock, complete with streets and sidewalks!

The Christmas tree always went up in early December and then came down on New Year's Day--no keeping it up till Epiphany in our house! Unfortunately, by about the mid-1960s, my mother began to get deathly sick every year--she was allergic to the scent of a "real" Christmas tree, and since she was in the house with it all day, there was no avoiding it. Luckily, by the time the doctor ruled that the tree had to go--we had gotten a beautiful Douglas fir that year--they had just invented the "green" artificial trees, the kind you could put lights on. I was terribly worried that we were going to have to get one of those aluminum trees with a color wheel, like my grandmother had--and I hated because you couldn't put lights on it. As far as I was concerned, a Christmas tree without lights on it just really isn't a Christmas tree! Those early model "green" artificial trees were downright ugly, but at least you could put lights on them!

When I was a small boy I also really liked to help my mother with the Christmas baking, and she always baked multiple batches of several varieties of cookies. Check out my mother's recipe for molasses cookies!  ;D  Also, Christmas dinner was usually baked ham. I remember my mother saying that a ham was less work--less time in the kitchen--than a turkey, and she wanted to be in the living room with me and my presents, not stuck in the kitchen.

With my mother and all my grandparents gone, Christmas is a pretty quiet affair these days. I've always loved the music of Christmas, and that's still the best part of the holiday for me. The climax of the holiday is really the church service on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day itself is actually sort of anticlimactic--though, over the past few years, my dad and I have been having very pleasant Christmas Days spent with some of his cousins. We will have Christmas dinner at the home of my second cousin and his wife this year, too.

I always set up a table-top model Christmas tree in my condo, and a couple of years ago I began setting up a model train layout on the table under the tree. I also set up a number of decorations that had been made by my grandmother. Once upon a time Grandma did ceramics for a hobby--she even had her own kiln. I now have a Nativity set that she made, and also a ceramic Christmas tree, and a little group of children in Victorian attire singing Christmas carols. Needless to say, these things hold great sentimental value for me.

Since I began participating in medieval and Renaissance historical re-enacting and re-creating, another important part of my Christmas season is our local group's annual "Yule Revel." This year's event takes place tomorrow (Dec. 2). We will all be decked out in our medieval or Renaissance best, and there will be period music played on period-style instruments by our group's Early Music ensemble--who are very good!--and then we will all sit down to a feast prepared from authentic period recipes and consisting only of foods available in Europe--nothing native to the New World.

I will also endeavor to make time for viewing my three favorite Christmas classics, all of which I have on tape: A Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and my personal favorite version of A Christmas Carol, the "Hallmark Hall of Fame" version with George C. Scott as Scrooge and a great, predominantly British supporting cast, Roger Rees, Edward Woodward, David Warner, and Susannah York, among others. And that's the Boris Karloff cartoon Grinch, by the way. I'm sorry, I will not see the Jim Carey movie, which I consider as totally unnecessary!  ;D No matter how old I get, Christmas just won't be Christmas without Charlie Brown and the Grinch! (God, am I child of the Sixties, or what?  ;D )

The only thing wrong with the Christmas season is that there is never enough time, never enough!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 07:18:03 pm »
I'll tell you about my Christmas celebrations later. First, for our entertainment, some Christmas music!  :)

(Play me!)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 11:37:06 pm »
That was really cute Anke! Thanks for posting "White Christmas" for us. This version had a nice tropical sound to it. I loved the bongo drums in the background!

Oh I wish you would tell us about Christmas in Germany! I am really hoping some of the BetterMost members from other countries will tell us how they celebrate Christmas in their countries. Melissa already told us how she celebrates the holidays in the Netherlands!  :D

Thanks for the great music Anke!  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 09:46:06 am »
Oh I wish you would tell us about Christmas in Germany! I am really hoping some of the BetterMost members from other countries will tell us how they celebrate Christmas in their countries.

Although I'm not Anke, your wish is my command  :)

In Germany, the most important day of Christmas is Christimas Eve. At least for the children, because that's when Christ Child brings the presents (in the evening, after dinner and/or church). Being heavily influenced by American culture, in many families Santa Clause is the one who brings the presents and Santa Clause is to be seen everywhere in shopping malls, TV, adverdisements, etc.

In my family, Santa and Christ Child are doing the business of spreading the presents together. It's a compromise.

The Christmas tree is usually set up at Dec. 22nd or 23rd. The whole family does it together, everybody is allowed to help, not matter how little/young. Every year some Christmas ball onaments are broken and our Christmas tree is not 'beautiful' in an aesthetic sense. Often the ornaments are spread in a unbalanced way (one side overloaded, the other almost naked). But it is beautiful to us because it is ours and we did it together. Maybe you can guess I was never allowed to help decorating the (artificial plastic) Christmas tree when I was a child. My mother always did it alone, because she wanted a beautiful, perfectly decorated tree.

The morning of Christmas Eve is usually very busy. Last shoppings are done. No christmas shopping, though. Just the regular stuff like groceries because all shops are closed from Christmas Eve noon to Dec. 27th.

In the afternoon I have to do a long drive to pick up a former neighbour of mine, who is a kind of 'grandmother' to my children. Meanwhile my husband stays with the children at home. When we are back, we have a short coffee break, then get ready for church. The 'grandmother', my children and I go to church. My husband stays at home, prepares the Christmas meal and places the presents under the Christmas tree. Then he covers the keyhole with a piece of paper from the inside of the living room door and locks the room.

After church, we are eating and waiting for Christ Child to ring the bell. That's the sign that Christ Child and Santa have brought the presents and are right then leaving the room.
Yesterday my second child asked me, why the bell always rings when daddy is at the toilet? I asked back, if she really wants me to answer this question and she said "No"  ;D We had the same conversation the past two years. She knows there's no Santa and no Christ Child, but she wants to believe in them.

Then everybody unwraps his presents and the children and we play the rest of the evening. They are allowed to stay up much longer than usual. After they are finally in bed, we three adults sit together, chatting until we're tired. Then my husband has to do the driving to bring grandmother back to her home. She doesn't want to stay overnight, although we have two guest rooms. But elderly people are sometimes like this. She wants to sleep in her own bed. *shrugs*

The next day the children play all morning with their presents (and watch some TV) and we meet at noon at my parents in law's place with all members of my husband's family (14 people).
In the afternoon we go to visit my family (the part of my family I always felt at home with). There we are 16 family members and mostly some guests, too.
We spend the rest of the day there and when we finally drive home late, we're all beat.

At the 26th we have to visit my mother. She has dementia and lives in a nursing home. Since I was never close to this woman, it is a duty, not a joy (and a very long drive).
After that we sometimes visit my very best friend and her family. Sometimes we don't manage it (because she has many relatives to visit, too). Therefore my friend and I invented a special day, the "Third Christmas Holiday". In Germany the days of Christmas are called Christmas Eve (=24th), First Christmas Holiday (25th) and Second Christmas Holiday (26th). And my friend and me have a Third Christmas Holiday  ;D

Our Christmas is always busy, loud and fun. I love being toghether with all the people who have a place in my heart. I'm thankful that I have such a big family.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2006, 01:33:20 pm »
Chrissi, thanks for posting this.  I enjoyed it very much.  I especially was inspired by how you took what was not a very happy time for you as a child, and transformed it in to a positive, special time for yourself and your own children, adapting it all to what works for you, i.e. Third Christmas Holiday.

I cannot imagine a single store in America being closed from the afternoon of the 24th, to the 27th.  That sounds kind of cozy.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2006, 03:10:05 pm »
Thank You Chrissi for telling us about Christmas in Germany!

I think it is very interesting to read and hear how people in other countries celebrate Christmas. I was really interested in reading about how the Christ Child delivers the presents in Germany. I also like how people in Germany stretch Christmas out over several days. Unfortunately here in the US, Christmas is often over as soon as the last present has been opened. I wish we would continue to celebrate Christmas for two or three days, like you all do in Germany.

I remember someone telling me that Christmas is actually 12 days long, and Christmas day is only the first day of Christmas. I suppose this is why someone wrote the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas". But Americans seem to forget about all of that, and we tend to cram the 12 days of Christmas into a couple of hours, and then it is over until next year. I'm glad this is not the case in Germany.

Thanks again for your post Chrissi!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2006, 03:40:02 pm »
Geri, I didn't know you were from Ireland!  :D

I remember you told me you were born in London. You do look very Irish though (at least you do in your picture). Do you include any Irish Christmas customs in your holiday celebrations?

That was a beautiful story about your childhood Christmas tree. Oh, I feel so sorry for your brother. His curiosity got the best of him, didn't it? My cat Oreo feels compelled to climb my Christmas tree. He knocked it over last year. He will lay under the tree off and on for several days until he works up enough bravery to climb up it. He will only get about half way up the tree though, then his weight will shift the tree and it will fall over. I watched him do it last year, but by the time I caught him it was too late. The tree was already on its way down.

I haven't put my Christmas tree up yet this year. But I'm sure he will try and do it again sooner or later. He's very curious.  :)

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006, 04:09:57 pm »
David~

You are right, I was born in London England. It was a pit stop for my parents before coming to the US.  They were born and raised in Dublin Ireland. They left Ireland to look for better jobs at the time. My aunt met someone who was in the US Airforce and was stationed in NY. She moved here first and my parents followed with us kids.
Maybe they were not really prepared to come here, and found it more difficult at first then they planned on.

We really don't have any Irish customs besides drinking and fighting alot on the holidays!  Just kidding David!   My father came from a family of eleven children and I don't think they had enough money to follow or make too many customs.

We  used to go to midnight mass every year. i really enjoyed that, but now they dont have it in my town anymore. Seeing we don't have alot of relatives here we don't have big family gatherings .. And now with both mom and dad gone I really don't know what everrybodys doing this year. I do know a first cousin from Dublin is coming the day after christmas. So that will be nice!

My cat Ricky never bothers with the tree.   he lays under it but he doesn't try climbing it. This is his third christmas tree and I was worried at first he would , but he hasn't yet.  :) but we do get him presents and wrap them .He opens them with us on Christmas Eve.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006, 05:03:07 pm »

I think it is very interesting to read and hear how people in other countries celebrate Christmas.

Yes, I also love the Christmas stories from all of you. Keep them coming.

I was really interested in reading about how the Christ Child delivers the presents in Germany. I also like how people in Germany stretch Christmas out over several days. Unfortunately here in the US, Christmas is often over as soon as the last present has been opened. I wish we would continue to celebrate Christmas for two or three days, like you all do in Germany.

We also have traditions for the weeks before Christmas (Advent time). I just posted about our first Advent on another thread. It's here:
http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=6112.msg123914#msg123914

I remember someone telling me that Christmas is actually 12 days long, and Christmas day is only the first day of Christmas. I suppose this is why someone wrote the song "The Twelve Days of Christmas". But Americans seem to forget about all of that, and we tend to cram the 12 days of Christmas into a couple of hours, and then it is over until next year. I'm glad this is not the case in Germany.

I never heard about Christmas being 12 days. For me it always has been three days. Better than one day anyway. One day is much too short for Christmas  :o.

Thanks again for your post Chrissi!  :D

You're welcome.
Next Wednesday it is Nikolaus day in Germany. I'll tell you about it then.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 02:51:50 am »
What lovely memories and traditions everyone has!

Wish I had some of my own to share, but alas, nothing memorable or special.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 03:01:22 am »
This is his third christmas tree and I was worried at first he would , but he hasn't yet.  :) but we do get him presents and wrap them .He opens them with us on Christmas Eve.

Oh How Cute!!

[[[[Geri]]]]]

[[[[[Ricky]]]]]

I thought I was the only one who wrapped up Christmas presents for my animals!  :)

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 03:24:05 pm »
Christmas childhood memories...
As a child, we always had shrimp gumbo on Christmas eve, after we came back from Christmas vigil mass. Always wanted to go to Midnight mass, but "Santa" said that was too late.  You need to be in bed if you want him to pass.

We'd also shoot a bunch of fireworks on X-mas eve.  I don't know where that custom came from in my part of the United States. Older ppl told me that New Years was just another day in the year, so it's possible that fireworks got mixed in with X-mas. It's dying out now, fireworks are prohibited in many areas.

After shooting all of our fireworkes,  we'd go back inside, open smaller presents that we had received from our parents.  Play with the toys until it was time to go to bed around 10:00 PM.  Mom was busy with the camera taking pictures as it was a nuisance. Were not even looking at the camera in the photos, too busy tearing open the tissues and wrappings to see what's inside.

"Santa" would pass during the night and the next morning we'd get real good presents; bicycle, telescope, b-b guns, big lego sets,  tiny b/w tv, the really good stuff.  I only had male siblings, hence the emphasis on action toys. Christmas morning was always very noisey and we'd all be looking for battteries. We'd go and wake our parents (6:45AM) with what we've got.   As we got older, we thanked them for our presents.

OF course,  Christmas day, we'd receive alot of relatives, show off our new toys to our frineds, stuff like that.  All in all, a rather mainstream Holiday experience.
---------------------------

As adults, we all get together at a siblings house on Christmas Day and open presents that we've given each other, that sort of stuff.  I spend Christmas eve with my parents and keep them company. They go to Mass. I usually pass. I have issues with the Catholic Church. We usually go out to eat at a really nice restaurant on Christmas eve.  My mother and I open a few presents on X-mas eve. My father refuses to wait to Christmas Day to open any presents.  He's the one that can't wait anymore.   ;)

Did anyone ever go caroling? Or is that only in England :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 03:40:58 pm »

Did anyone ever go caroling? Or is that only in England :)

We would go caroling when I was young. People don't do this anymore; at least not in my part of the country. I wonder why? The last time I caroled was about 20 years ago. We caroled at a local nursing home. The people there loved it. Everyone there kept handing us cookies and milk.  :)

Yeah, I don't go to Mass anymore either. I was born and raised Catholic, and like you I also have many issues with the Church.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2006, 06:15:48 am »
Here is a lovely yearly Seattle tradition.  It's happening tonight:

The Green Lake Pathway of Lights has delighted and become a holiday tradition for thousands of people from around the region.

The Green Lake Path will come alive with the warm light from 4,000 luminaria marking the 2.8-mile pathway. Following the “string of pearls” around the lake is a great way to get in the mood for the holiday season. To add to the cheer, several youth and adult musical groups will perform near the Aqua Theater and Green Lake Community Center.

Join your friends and family, rain or shine, and enjoy the offerings of area establishments or of the vendors that will be located around the lake during the event.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 07:50:14 am »
How do I celebrate Christmas? So here goes.  :)

After a very busy week at work I just got ready with cleaning the house and now have a moment before what I call the Christmas-madness will set in. Lol. It's around noon overhere.
Like Chrissi said already: Christmas Eve is the day in Germany. This is when everybody will get their presents and everybody will sing Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht in church. So it will soon get kind of solemn.
Here's our schedule: we'll have lunch and then gather in the living room where my husband and my kid have decorated the Christmas tree yesterday. We'll sing some German Christmas songs (mother playing the piano...). I'm not much of a musician and we aren't any good at singing, but it's the good intention that counts, isn't it?  ;)
After this, we'll hand out the pesents that have been sitting there in the living room for a couple of days now. Christ child must have placed them there while we were out of the house… There's a name on every present. And there are many of them!
We'll probably have a little Glühwein (mulled wine) and Plätzchen (homemade Christmas cookies) along with that. I don't bake them myself, though. Franca's Grandmothers are much better at that...   
At 4.30 pm we go to church. It's a special childrens' mass where my daughter plays a part singing. After church we visit my mother in law and have diner at her place. It's the same each year. We'd love to invite her over to our house, but there's also her elderly sister who'd be alone then and who's too frail to come along, so we always end up having diner together with the two of them at my mother in law's place. It goes without saying that there are going to be more presents.
Around 7 pm we'll come back to our house and greet my parents. They just live upstairs. Presents again. Then they'll leave for the regular adults' Chritsmas mass around 10 pm and we'll go downstairs and spend the rest of the evening chatting an drinkin' an all.
First Christmas holiday (Dec 25th): Lunch with my husband's relatives. Second Christmas holiday: Lunch with my relatives. More presents.
And that is just the beginning of the holiday season at our home... The afternoon of December 26th is one of the very rare occasions throughout the year that you can actually witness me baking cake. Birthday cake, that is. I could do without but it's considered my duty to invite everybody over for coffee on the 27th which is not only my birthday but also my daughter's. So the party goes on, and before we know it, the year is over and we celebrate sylvester and, at midnight toast to the new year and my father's birthday with is on January 1st. On Newyear's Day we, of course, will be also very busy visiting all kinds of friends, wishing them a happy new year and sharing a drink or two.
So, crazy days lie ahead, and I don’t know how often I will manage to be online. I know, I've pretty much been absent here lately, anyway. Forgive me. Real life got in my way…

Here’s wishing everybody a very happy and peaceful Christmas!

Yours

ANKE   :-*
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 04:53:24 pm by Pipedream »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 12:59:51 pm »
Thanks for taking a moment to sit down and share with us, Anke!  It sounds like a hectic but wonderful week is ahead of you.  And let me be the first to wish you and your little one

:D  :D HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  :D  :D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006, 01:53:20 pm »
My husband's birthday is on the 27th too. By that time, he doesn't want to have anything to do with celebrating. He doesn't like cake, too fattening. This year, he is going skiing on his birthday while I hit the shopping looking for an acceptable present. He already has every kind of sports gear known to man. This year I am thinking about getting him a creel case  :D.

Every year we have to hear the story about how his mother went into labor on Christmas Day, only eight months pregnant with him. She fought for two days and was determined to not let him be born until the full nine months were over, because she had gotten married the past April. But my husband came into the world on the 27th, nevertheless!!

I'm sure your birthday will be happier because you have your daughter to celebrate with!! Enjoy!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 01:58:42 pm »
Anke, that is so cool that you and Franca have the same birthday!

Happiness to all!

Clarissa

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2006, 05:08:35 pm »
Sick of Christmas already? Here's a Christmas Song from the Palastorchester that always cheers me up! Oh Christmas Tree... ;D
(Play me!)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 06:48:53 pm by Pipedream »