Author Topic: Post your teenage crushes... don't be shy!  (Read 154603 times)

Offline saucycobblers

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
Re: Post your teenage crushes... don't be shy!
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2007, 08:20:47 am »
I remember all my girlfriends at school loved S&H. It was Saturday night TV when I was a kid and we'd all talk about it at school on Monday. I used to love Huggy Bear, but you had to be either a Hutchian or a Starskyite in our gang (I was a Hutchian  ;D) and swear your allegiance to the show. One of my friends was such a huge fan of PMG that one of her O level art pieces was a homage to the show!! ::)

And you mentioned two of my favourite bands Marlb!! :D My sister is 12 years older than me (I was born in 68) and had eclectic taste in music, so I grew up with Led Zep, Bread, Deep Purple, Mike Oldfield, Hendrix, Queen, all sorts playing on the stereo. My love of that era's music comes from her. My fave Bread track is 'Sweet Surrender' very closely followed by 'Guitar Man'  :D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 08:24:35 am by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2007, 09:56:21 am »
Hi,

Wow it is so great to have so much in common with people around here ;D ;D ;D

Yes, Starsky and Hutch was big then, although the girls in my school were into Happy Days and Mork and Mindy at the time.  I hated those shows, I loved S and H.

But yes people were devoted to one or the other, kinds like J And E.  I loved Hutch, I especially loved the really sad dramatic episodes.

I was also a little young for Bread, (I'm five years older than you), They were big in 70-73 and then they broke up and I started liking them around 76 but they did get together again them.  I still think their songs are beautiful but I haven't really listened to them in a long time.  My favorite was "If" by far but they had  a lot of wonderful songs.

BTW my favorite song from around then, 'Shannon', by Henry Gross, just thought of it. I listened to that over and over when I wasn't listening to Bread

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2007, 10:58:29 am »
Is it true that if you are blond you have crushes on dark handsome guys and if you are dark you go for blonds?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2007, 11:36:22 am »
Hi,

I don't know, for me i don't think so.  I have never been blond (since I was about 5), usually a medium brown, but I end up liking the blonds, (Hutch, Ennis/Heath).  But I usually am an exception to the rules. ::) ::) ::)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2007, 12:03:31 pm »
OK, I must be having an elder moment here. I have very fond memories of Here Come the Brides. Jesus H., if you get me drunk enough, I can still sing the theme song, and that's almost 40 years ago!  :o But I have absolutely no recollection of who that is in the photo standing between David Soul, on the left, and Robert Browne. (Bobby Sherman was my favorite Bolt brother.  ;D )

Hi Jeff, I also loved Here Come the Brides, can also still sing the theme song, drunk or sober (I used to like playing it on the piano!) and can't identify that other guy in the picture, either.

I remember a character called Big Swede, but that's not him (obviously). And then there was their nemesis Aaron Stemple, but that's not him, either. As for my favorite Bolt Bro, it was Jeremy also (though frankly Jason was more interesting).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2007, 03:39:18 pm »
Is it true that if you are blond you have crushes on dark handsome guys and if you are dark you go for blonds?

Well, when I still had hair on top and it wasn't gray  ::) , my hair was basically a mousy light brown, and I've always been turned on by men with "Mediterranean" looks.

On the other hand, I tend to fall in love with men with basically the same sort of Northern European--but not Scandinavian--looks, as myself.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2007, 03:47:35 pm »
Hi Jeff, I also loved Here Come the Brides, can also still sing the theme song, drunk or sober (I used to like playing it on the piano!) and can't identify that other guy in the picture, either.

Well, I may have told a lie. I discovered in the shower last night that I don't remember all the lyrics to the theme song--although I wasn't drunk in the shower last night.  ;D

Remember, Bobby Sherman released a record of a version of Seattle, the theme song?

I remember a character called Big Swede, but that's not him (obviously). And then there was their nemesis Aaron Stemple, but that's not him, either. As for my favorite Bolt Bro, it was Jeremy also (though frankly Jason was more interesting).

Big Swede was played by Bo Svenson, and Aaron Stemple, who owned the lumber mill, whereas the Bolt brothers owned Bridal Veil Mountain, with the timber, was played by Mark Leonard.

Holy crap, I remember entirely too much about that show.  :laugh:

Not to mention that apparently it was based on historical reality. Back in my genealogy days, I once came across a book (details unfortunately now forgotten) about some guy who had taken one or more shiploads of eligible young ladies from New England to the Pacific Northwest in, I think, the 1870s.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2007, 03:59:58 pm »
I didn't have a crush on these gentlemen as a teenager, but an old 1942 movie called Flying Tigers just ended on TCM, and I must say that John Wayne and John Carroll were quite the lookers! :D

So much male pulchritude, everywhere one looks.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2007, 04:09:33 pm »
I didn't have a crush on these gentlemen as a teenager, but an old 1942 movie called Flying Tigers just ended on TCM, and I must say that John Wayne and John Carroll were quite the lookers! :D

So much male pulchritude, everywhere one looks.

Like the tee shirt says, "So many men, so little time."  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2007, 05:46:08 pm »
I discovered in the shower last night that I don't remember all the lyrics to the theme song--although I wasn't drunk in the shower last night.  ;D

Jeff, here's something you can laminate and take into the shower with you next time.

The bluest sky you've ever seen, in Seattle.
And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle.
Like a beautiful child
Growing up, free and wild.
Full of hopes and full of fears,
Full of laughter, full of tears,
Full of dreams to last a year
In Seattle.

When you find your own true love, you will know it
By his smile, by the look in his eyes.
Some set pine trees in the air
Or some stand around and stare
Look out everyone, Here Come the Brides.

I remembered them pretty closely, but I double checked with several lyrics websites. I never quite believed they said, "some stand around and stare," but apparently they did.

Some more fascinating info: The song was written by a Tin Pan Alley duo who also wrote the theme songs  for "Bewitched," "Gidget" and several others. And it was recorded by Perry Como!

Not to mention that apparently it was based on historical reality. Back in my genealogy days, I once came across a book (details unfortunately now forgotten) about some guy who had taken one or more shiploads of eligible young ladies from New England to the Pacific Northwest in, I think, the 1870s.

Another site says the show "was loosely based upon the Mercer Girls, Asa Mercer's efforts to bring civilization to old Seattle by importing marriageable women from the war-ravaged East Coast of the United States in the 1860s."

This I can believe. The premise is too absurd to have been made up.

UPDATE more info on Asa Mercer, from Wikipedia: The young town of Seattle was attracting hordes of men to work in the timber and fishing industries, but few marriageable women were willing to make the trip to the remote Northwest corner of the United States. In 1864, with public support and private funding, Mercer traveled to the Eastern United States in search of single women to work in Seattle as teachers and in other respectable occupations. This trip, and a subsequent trip in 1866, introduced hundreds of women to the Pacific Northwest, most of whom eventually married local men. The descendants of the Mercer Girls still represent a significant portion of Seattle's citizenry. The Mercer Girls story formed the basis of the television show Here Come the Brides.

BTW, Asa Mercer does not look much like Jason Bolt.

BTW, did you know the show only ran two seasons? 1968 to 1970.

There's probably waaaaaayyyy more than anyone under 45 or so wants to know about a TV show they've never heard of!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 05:52:38 pm by latjoreme »