Author Topic: Any good board game suggestions?  (Read 11480 times)

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
Any good board game suggestions?
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:57:11 pm »
Hey guys~
Can you please help me to pick out a good board game!   I havn't bought a game in years. And I have no idea what's out there. I would like a game or two for family nights. We don't have enough of those nights in my house and would like to start for the new year.

Last games I ever played were scramble, monopoly all the old standards. I want something new and fun for the whole family  .2-8 players., ages 15 and up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. As games are so expensive now and there are so many to pick from!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 08:39:09 pm by Arad-3 »
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
Re: Any good board game suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 08:04:35 pm »
Great Idea Geri we discovered and played this game on Thanksgiving.  It was a blast even the 6 and 10 year old could play along.  I also understand it comes in a Junior and Marvel Comics version and runs around $50.  Expensive I know but it was so much fun for us ALL and held everyone's attention

Scene It? DVD Board Game

Powered by two fully loaded DVDs, Scene It? It's exploding with real movie clips, trivia questions and myriad of mutated puzzlers, guaranteed to pack one heck of a punch. If you’re a fan of the movies, this DVD game will put your trivia knowledge to the ultimate test.

addendum...another one our family loves is Balderdash, that one can be play in teams.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 08:17:26 pm by dot-matrix »
Life is not a dress rehearsal

injest

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 08:26:07 pm »
or if you want something a bit slower and less physically taxing..LOL...

RISK

the game of world domination!

we like that one too...but it takes a loooong time...(usually all evening) and Don cheats...

*Jess looks around to see if Don's looking...*

injest

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 08:27:01 pm »
(though not as bad as he does when we play Monopoly...)

injest

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 08:32:13 pm »
BOGGLE

IF you like Scrabble you will like Boggle...it has nine dice with letters on them and a timer...you shake the dice...and roll them out...then you set the timer and everyone writes down all the words they can make out of the dice...when time is up you compare lists and whoever thought of the most words no one else thought of is the winner

and it HAS to be a real word! not just stuff you make up and say "well it is a very technical term us farmers use"

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 08:34:01 pm »
Thanks Dot and Jess!  Both of those games sound like alot of fun!! Any game that brings out laughter and excitment is always good for the spirit of the family!!

Dot do you need any extra equiptment for Scene it?

injest

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 08:34:36 pm »
Yahtzee!

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 08:35:44 pm »
BOGGLE

IF you like Scrabble you will like Boggle...it has nine dice with letters on them and a timer...you shake the dice...and roll them out...then you set the timer and everyone writes down all the words they can make out of the dice...when time is up you compare lists and whoever thought of the most words no one else thought of is the winner

and it HAS to be a real word! not just stuff you make up and say "well it is a very technical term us farmers use"

Iv'e played Boggle before.  That is fun I forgot about that one.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 09:19:54 pm »
Yahtzee!

Never played that one.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 10:18:57 pm »
PIT

it is a card game with a bell...it gets physical and loud!
Heh heh!  When I was in high school a group of 7 of us declared ourselves the Pit Club and got together on Friday nights. It was fun.      :D :D

We did other stuff - made strawberry jam, told ghost stories and such. But mostly it was all about the Pit!
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 11:01:38 pm »
Thanks Dot and Jess!  Both of those games sound like alot of fun!! Any game that brings out laughter and excitment is always good for the spirit of the family!!

Dot do you need any extra equiptment for Scene it?

just a TV and a DVD player.  We played in the family room.  It was a hoot, lots of laughter, lots of fun kinda like your own home grown game show.  Bob's brother in law, Todd, even did loopy introductions for the players like he was Bob Eubanks or something.

You will love Yahtzee and Boggle.  Bob and I play those at home just the two of us, but you can play with any number.  When I was a kid we had family poker night once a month.  We just played with chips but it was a lot of fun and my Dad taught us five card draw, stud, seven card draw and Texas Hold em.

What about Life, do they still make that one. love it as a teenager.  My Mom use to love the Wheel of Fortune board game

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 04:09:22 pm »
Dot~
 Yeah I remember the game Life ... I dont think i really enjoyed that one.  :-\

I am really concidering checking into Scene It. That does sound like alot of fun. It sounds like it would be perfect for my girls and me cause we watch alot of movies.  And we love trivia.

Jess's game with the bell sounds cool too.!

thanks
geri

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 05:01:06 am »

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 06:14:43 am »
Bop it!

Thats really fun!

or Singstar and Buzz if you have a play station?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 11:51:26 am »
Cranium is really fun.  Especially for four or more players.  You have to do all sorts of stuff to advance around the board, like Pictionary-type drawings for your partner(s) to guess at, sculpting the answer out of clay for them to guess at, answering trivia questions, and doing a full-blown charade.  The last time I played it with a bunch of people, I laughed so hard I hurt myself when Ed pantomimed a "Ticker-Tape Parade."  You had to be there, but he kinda did the Jarhead-like fake trumpet blowing while throwing little bits of a ripped up paper all over the place and high-stepping.  Well, it may be that it was funnier after a couple of adult beverages, too...

HuggerMugger is fun too.  Similar to Cranium, but without the charades and pictionary stuff - you do spelling, word scrambles, trivia, and vocabulary to win.
No more beans!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 12:09:30 pm »
How about Scattegories?  We've had fun with that one.  http://www.boardgames.com/scattergories.html

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 01:08:16 pm »
What's wrong with Scrabble? See here for a description of Scrabble playing on Midnight Cowboy.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 04:31:17 pm »
Taboo.  Very fun word game where you get your teammate(s) to guess a word without using the taboo words.

Example:  the clue is lipstick
              the taboo words that you can't use are:  makeup, face, mouth, red.

Real game:  a friend of mine stammered a bit, and eventually said, "you use this to paint your labia". (she's a doctor). This was 15 years ago and we still tease her about it.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 04:37:06 pm »
What's wrong with Scrabble? See here for a description of Scrabble playing on Midnight Cowboy.

LOL!!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  But I was thinking more of a family night  scenario!

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 04:39:44 pm »
Cranium is really fun.  Especially for four or more players.  You have to do all sorts of stuff to advance around the board, like Pictionary-type drawings for your partner(s) to guess at, sculpting the answer out of clay for them to guess at, answering trivia questions, and doing a full-blown charade.  The last time I played it with a bunch of people, I laughed so hard I hurt myself when Ed pantomimed a "Ticker-Tape Parade."  You had to be there, but he kinda did the Jarhead-like fake trumpet blowing while throwing little bits of a ripped up paper all over the place and high-stepping.  Well, it may be that it was funnier after a couple of adult beverages, too...

HuggerMugger is fun too.  Similar to Cranium, but without the charades and pictionary stuff - you do spelling, word scrambles, trivia, and vocabulary to win.

Both sound like fun!  But you are right, some of these games are alot more fun when you have a couple adult beverages!

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 04:41:18 pm »
Taboo.  Very fun word game where you get your teammate(s) to guess a word without using the taboo words.

Example:  the clue is lipstick
              the taboo words that you can't use are:  makeup, face, mouth, red.

Real game:  a friend of mine stammered a bit, and eventually said, "you use this to paint your labia". (she's a doctor). This was 15 years ago and we still tease her about it.

Played that before. forgot about this one. This can be a fun family game. Thanks!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 04:54:04 pm »
I always loved the classics like Monopoly, Scrabble and Clue.

Remember Mrs. Peacock?  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 05:00:04 pm »
No  David,   I don't remember Mrs. Peacock! Who/what was that?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 05:14:36 pm »
No  David,   I don't remember Mrs. Peacock! Who/what was that?

Mrs. Peacock was one of the characters in Clue!

There was Professor Plum, Miss Scarlet, Mrs. Peacock.. I can't remember all the names now.

I think there was a Col. Mustard too!

It's been a long time since I played Clue. Maybe I should play it again this Christmas or New Year's Eve!  8)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 08:14:12 am »
Mrs. Peacock was one of the characters in Clue!

There was Professor Plum, Miss Scarlet, Mrs. Peacock.. I can't remember all the names now.

I think there was a Col. Mustard too!

It's been a long time since I played Clue. Maybe I should play it again this Christmas or New Year's Eve!  8)

Was Mrs. Whie the chef?  Oddly, or whatever, I was watching The Return of the Secaucus Seven tonight, and in it they play Clue.

I agree with Cranium, Scattergories, Taboo.  Even just plain old charades and pictionary with no more accoutrements than the back of an envelope and a stub of a pencil can be hilarious.  Especially, as has been said, after ACOAB.  :)

Can we play games like these in Denver and Alberta?

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2006, 12:57:49 pm »

Why, coitanly!  I'll bring the Cranium (and adult beverages).   ;D
No more beans!

Offline cmr107

• Call me Courtney
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 08:14:05 pm »
Cranium is one of my very favorite games (even without adult beverages ;)). Also fun is a game called (I believe) Hoopla. I think it's made by the same company that made Cranium. Everyone works together to guess lots of clues before the timer runs out, but you have to do it in different ways. If I remember correctly, one is where you have to make people guess by saying what the thing is between (i.e. bigger than a coin, smaller that a dinner plate). For another, you give clues to the thing using all words that start with the same letter. I don't think I explained that well, but it's really fun.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2006, 08:40:42 pm »

You bet, Clarissa. You just wouldn't believe how many fun things there will be to do at the Brokeback BBQ 2007 in Colorado!! We're working madly on the web site now.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 05:48:10 pm »
Great Idea Geri we discovered and played this game on Thanksgiving.  It was a blast even the 6 and 10 year old could play along.  I also understand it comes in a Junior and Marvel Comics version and runs around $50.  Expensive I know but it was so much fun for us ALL and held everyone's attention

Scene It? DVD Board Game

Powered by two fully loaded DVDs, Scene It? It's exploding with real movie clips, trivia questions and myriad of mutated puzzlers, guaranteed to pack one heck of a punch. If you’re a fan of the movies, this DVD game will put your trivia knowledge to the ultimate test.

addendum...another one our family loves is Balderdash, that one can be play in teams.

Dot,  just want to let you know I bought this game ( Scene It)  for a family Christmas present. You were right!  It is so much fun!    We have played it a few times now and we really had a blast.  Great idea. Thanks!

Also , there are some other suggestions here that I want to try too.

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 03:00:25 am »
Dot,  just want to let you know I bought this game ( Scene It)  for a family Christmas present. You were right!  It is so much fun!    We have played it a few times now and we really had a blast.  Great idea. Thanks!

Also , there are some other suggestions here that I want to try too.

Oh Geri I am so happy to hear that you all are enjoying Scene it  :D 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 12:32:53 am »
Over Christmas we played a board game at my brother's called AGGRAVATION that was very simple and lots of fun.  :)
Ich bin ein Brokie...