Author Topic: Same-Sex Marriage Issue in MA  (Read 12053 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Same-Sex Marriage Issue in MA
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2007, 09:59:11 am »
Now, after 40-plus years after Ennis married Alma, gay people are still forbidden to marry, and there are still many who  marry people of the opposite sex  to satisfy society's demands and their own internalized homophobia.  Such gay people are bound for a life of regrets, and  their straight spouses are also in for a world of hurt, just like Alma was.

I am just coming to this thread. It is a subject I have been afraid to address.
But when i saw this it hit me so hard! This has been my life for the past 25 yrs.
Always afraid to be who I really was i beat it down as well as beating myself up for feeling the way I did.
I did what a good southern Christian boy was supposed to do. I dated girls, went to the prom and got married.
All that time wanting, needing somthing else. When that time came and i had an experience I wasz overwhelmed with guilt and fear. Because of that,like Ennis, I pushed away my chance at happiness to do the "Right thing".
Now at 40 I can't keep living the double life I have created for myself. The feelings, desires and needs won't stay in that little box in the closet any longer.
I don't know where the road will lead, but it would be nice to be able to legally be with the one I love (If there is aomeone) in the future. The devestation wrought out of a life in hiding isn't worth it.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"