Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2531031 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
New England BBM Gathering
« Reply #240 on: September 19, 2006, 03:11:22 pm »
Boston approacheth. I am startin' to get excited. I am going to see my "old" friends Judy and Joe, II. I am going to get to meet some of you all I have conversed with, making my vague online personality association a full fledged, tactile experence. Such a gratifying experence. 

I was watching the movie Sunday night, it was unlike any other time I have seen it, and I am kind of at a loss to explain why. Something, a seed change must have occured in my psyche, which is alright. I look forward to being in a room full of people once again, watching it on a fairly big screen. Look forward to the fellowship, the excange of ideas, the broadening of horizons.

One of the paths I would like to pursue with this now is to identify the place Proulx wrote Brokeback Mountain. I think this needs to be honored as a historical place in the future. I have also given some thought to the identity of the man in the bar she say that started her on this path we are now all on. I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand he is very important and on the other, should his identity become known, even to friendly folk, it might turn his world upside down. I imagine the only person who might know who he is is Proulx herself, and there is no gurantee of that. She might have just seen him around and not known what his name was. Then we would have a mystery for the ages.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2006, 09:55:28 pm »
I am on the board of my local library system and I was so pleased today to walk in and see the new titles added was the "Confession" of forer NJ Gov. Jim McGreevey. (?sp) and beside it what made me heart skipp a beat:

An outline for the case for the impeachment for the current President of the U.S. It is long over due.

Yeah, I'll get the title.

injest

« Reply #242 on: September 21, 2006, 12:50:21 am »
I am on the board of my local library system and I was so pleased today to walk in and see the new titles added was the "Confession" of forer NJ Gov. Jim McGreevey. (?sp) and beside it what made me heart skipp a beat:

An outline for the case for the impeachment for the current President of the U.S. It is long over due.

Yeah, I'll get the title.

I was thinking about Mr. McGreevey...he was on Fox tonight did anyone see it?

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2006, 06:48:30 pm »
It might not look like it, but the clift notes version of see Annie Proulx is over at Chez Tremblay. I may write a longer piece about it here this weekend. I am infused alright, I could have pawed the orange out of the crescent moon last night driving back.

Thank you for the information on the Mint Bar, we were a short distance front there, Wayne flew in and out of there, but we didn't know to go.
Yes, what a great pic!!  Too bad we didn't know to go!     :)   Oh well, next time!

And thanks so much Truman for the story of seeing Annie in NC ... I wish I could have gone too!   :-/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 06:52:39 pm by wdj »
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2006, 07:16:17 pm »
Shakes.....Dont know if you have gone yet....but before you go, just wanted to tell you, that after all this bloody time, I finally came into your blog.....dont know why i havent been here before....but now im here, you might be sorry....anyway......I have just decided, that while you are away, I am gonna read your blog from the first post to the last, and then after that, I might feel worthy of posting my two cents worth here.......

Have a great time in Boston, give judy, wulf, chris and lisa a big big aussie hug for me..........

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #245 on: September 26, 2006, 11:49:58 am »
I did, I did, and received from Tamarac a wonderful harmonica and pin to wear until the pilgrimage to Alberta next year. It was so wonderful seeing Judy and Joe again, and meeting Wulf and Chris. (You Bet I am going to make sure they get to Alberta too!) They are the John Travoltas of the Contra Dancefloor.

Lynne, I am so sorry I didn't get to sign your book!

That is all from the Public Library in Rangeley Lakes, Maine, my 50th state! Lets go find some Chaudah!

moremojo

« Reply #246 on: September 26, 2006, 11:56:35 am »
That is all from the Public Library in Rangeley Lakes, Maine, my 50th state! Lets go find some Chaudah!
Truman, now you'll need to start aiming for the U.S. territories. I've heard that Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands are beautiful.

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
    • myspace
« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2006, 08:17:00 pm »
I did, I did, and received from Tamarac a wonderful harmonica and pin to wear until the pilgrimage to Alberta next year. It was so wonderful seeing Judy and Joe again, and meeting Wulf and Chris. (You Bet I am going to make sure they get to Alberta too!) They are the John Travoltas of the Contra Dancefloor.

Lynne, I am so sorry I didn't get to sign your book!

who are the john travoltas of the contra dancefloor? lol Truman i want to say it was a fking pleasure to meet you  ive talked to you off and on for a while and want to make sure we continue to talk you are one class act and very cute, kind, friendly, loving person and I for one am glad to have met you finally.  i put my harmonica on top of my computer still in the box to remind me of the time  in Boston 
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Re: New England BBM Gathering
« Reply #248 on: September 27, 2006, 01:34:34 am »
Dear Truman,

I am so very happy that I got to meet you Saturday!  Do not give the book another thought!  I'll bring it to Alberta...I'll prob'ly be toting it around until someone tells me to stop it, already.  ::)

My big regret is that I did not realize that you and your partner were splitting off after Contra dancing and that I wouldn't see you guys again that weekend!!  Nevertheless, I loved meeting you, and I hope that your NE wilderness adventure is proceeding wonderfully.  Is the foliage nice yet?  There were some colors on the Blue Ridge Pkwy, which I took partway home, but it's still a bit early there.  Post some pics if you get a chance!

One of the paths I would like to pursue with this now is to identify the place Proulx wrote Brokeback Mountain. I think this needs to be honored as a historical place in the future. I have also given some thought to the identity of the man in the bar she say that started her on this path we are now all on. I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand he is very important and on the other, should his identity become known, even to friendly folk, it might turn his world upside down. I imagine the only person who might know who he is is Proulx herself, and there is no gurantee of that. She might have just seen him around and not known what his name was. Then we would have a mystery for the ages.

I read somewhere that Annie saw the cowboy in a bar, noticed a 'look' [of regret? nostalgia?] at some other cowboy that she somehow 'read' and that her imagination took it from there, implying [to me] that Annie did not actually know him, or at least know him well.  But I can't remember where I read that now.  It may be in Movie Resources somewhere.

At any rate, the historical preservation project portion of this project sounds extremely worthwhile to me.  I admit to having mixed feelings about identifying the man in the bar.  Perhaps he should remain anonymous, even if we could track him down.  He represents 'everyman' to a great extent.  Of course, if he personally feels differently, that would be a different matter entirely.

If you want some help, post something on one of the main boards, solicit some volunteers, and delegate some work.  I'd be willing to help in any way I can. 

Best regards,
Lynne
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 03:41:50 pm by Lynne »
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2006, 12:24:49 pm »
Oh, Truman, you're in the Rangely area! I grew up near there. There's really beautiful river gorge with the most amazing person-sized potholes in the stream bed, and gorgeous metamorphic rocks. I wish I could remember which river it's on -- it's a great spot, just below a picnic area, and sort of off the beaten path.

I haven't been back there in a long time. :(
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.