Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2582436 times)

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • myspace
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #320 on: October 27, 2006, 08:38:32 pm »
thanks for the card truman  was a nice surprise !@
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #321 on: October 27, 2006, 11:16:22 pm »
I loved that card, I think imogo back to the store and get one just to keep.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
Goin' to Glory on the Chitlin' Tent
« Reply #322 on: October 30, 2006, 11:03:20 am »
This past Saturday, we went to the Ferrum Folk Life Festival at Ferrum College, (http://www.blueridgeinstitute.org/folk_festival.htm) about 20 miles from us. The day before had been miserable and raining and I had said if it were like that on Saturday I would not go, but the sun was out, it promised to be a nice fall day, with gusty winds the reports said.

In some ways I believe the main purpose of the festival is a conspiracy to make people use port-a-johns, as all the buildings are locked up. We made our way thru the craft exhibit, got out cat head biscuits with damson jelly, heard some old time music and had a box lunch curtesy of the Gethsemane Pentecostal Holliness Church, which had a slice of pumpkin pie loaded with ginger and a touch of molasses. I went back and let them know it was the best pie I ever ate in my life.

There was a larger food area opened up down the hill from us, several churches selling BBQ and Chicken, and the Working Women of the Cole Creek Church, set up selling Chitlin's.

Now if you don't know what Chitlin's are, you will need to know the actual speling of the name is Chitterlings, so you can google it, because I don't really care to discuss them. Every year this group is set up and I don't know why, there is a 20 minute wait in all other lines and no one ever gets any chitlin's. The Working Women had one of the largest tents set up too, 10X40 feet at least, shiny aluminium colored tarp stretched over an aluminum frame, we had just read the sign when all hell broke loose.

A gust of wind roared thru, overturning chairs, trash cans, and anything not nailed down. The women all dashed for stryofoam plates and paper towels, when suddenly the tent roof began to seperate from the polls that supported it. The women hollered, and they were heard, soon thirty pairs of hands were holding onto the woodbe parasail. One of the Working Women was hollering for some one to get a hammer, and my tangential mind brung up an image of M.C.Hammer and his parachute pants, but not for long.

I heard it first, in the trees nearby, the wood groaned. I had time to get out: "Hang on!" and pow, it slipped up under the gable end of the tent, and and we were all hanging on for dear life. My mind then showed me a picture of all of us being carried off, a short distance to out demise, and taking a few by standers with us. My hat blew off, over the bank of a nearby creek. I looked after it and saw people running for cover. Saw others rushing to help hold us down, it won't gone jack-board us. Black and White, Indian in all of us, male and female, gay and straight, young and old, LDS Missionaries, rednecks with Confederate Flag bandanas on their heads, all of us, determined the tent would serve out its intended function, and nothing more.

The wind ended as quickly as it began. The hammer arrived and my hat was found. I still doubt very many chitlin's were consumed. I fulfilled my quest for Peach Butter across the road, at the tent for the Climax (Virginia) Volunteer Fire Department. It, too, had been rattled by the wind. One of their customers telling them: "That Black Church almost flew to glory".

We left right after that, taking Highway 420 to Bent Mountain, where our friends were visiting from Hawai'i, enjoying their first fall in 3 years. The road was so littered with leaves and sticks it looked abandoned. I studied on a sermon I had heard earlier in the week, a preecher had described the being generally regarded as God creating Adam and Eve and breathing life into their nosrils. He explained that faith was like the wind, you could not see it but you knew it was there. Perhaps, I though, God saw a need to bring a few of Adam and Eve's children together, perhaps the Working Women have a larger purpose in the world than supplying it with chitlin's. 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #323 on: October 30, 2006, 12:27:28 pm »
Truman, thanks for the hearty laugh!  Glad you got your hat back.  :laugh:
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #324 on: October 30, 2006, 12:49:45 pm »
What a lovely narrative, Truman.  You have a real gift as a storyteller.  Thank you for sharing it!

BTW, Did you know the term 'jack-board' before Brokeback Mountain?  I did not...

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #325 on: October 30, 2006, 01:52:03 pm »
No, I sure didn't, and don't really know what it means.

Have a Heinous day!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #326 on: October 31, 2006, 05:51:08 am »
Hey Truman, I took this pic yesterday......thought you would like it....

Its at a garage in my town.....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #327 on: October 31, 2006, 08:47:52 am »
Ned Kelly! That is wonderful! If I had thouhgt about it I could have been him for Halloween, well I guess I still could.

I wonder if decendants of the people Kelly killed ever run up on something like this and what do they think. As time passes you know there can be individual decended from both Kelly and his victims, kinda like a healing I'd say.

In the US, I would have to compare this to a statue of John Dillenger or Bonnie and Clyde, they were kinda of underdog criminals who had a following. 

• BetterMost Supporter!
"I Love This Place"
« Reply #328 on: November 02, 2006, 04:14:42 pm »
That is the slogan our local Chamber of Commerce puts forth to tell how wonderful my hometown is. Yep, we also get a lot for our entertainment dollar, here is what I woke up to this morning:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/11/02/sheriff.indicted/index.html

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #329 on: November 02, 2006, 04:39:35 pm »
Gee Shakes.....they are really bad cops.....the bastards that give all the good cops a bad name.....I'm glad they caught them......

I wonder if decendants of the people Kelly killed ever run up on something like this and what do they think. As time passes you know there can be individual decended from both Kelly and his victims, kinda like a healing I'd say.

And Yes, there are many descendents of Ned, his family, and also the police who were involved in his drama....I have seen and read many interviews from some of them over the years.

Heres a couple of pics i found here on the net..one showing ned, without armour, and the other of his hanging....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection