Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2524675 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #340 on: November 08, 2006, 07:10:52 pm »
I think making voting compulsory is not a bad idea! 
But in a country as big as the US, enforcing that law wouldn't be a walk in the park, that's for sure.

injest

« Reply #341 on: November 08, 2006, 07:19:49 pm »
Truman!! You juvenile delinquent!! I have filed a report with Sheriff Roland!

>:( >:( >:(

Don't make me talk to your Momma!!

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #342 on: November 08, 2006, 08:06:15 pm »
The thing is, when voting is optional, people are encouraged to think of it as something they only need to do if they think they are going to benefit personally from one of the candidates' winning.  Not exactly civic responsibility.  In fact, it's why too many elected officials have always run - because they thought they were going to benefit personally from being in office!  Whereas if we really thought of it as civic responsibiliity for everyone, maybe in time more of the politicians would also start thinking in terms of their responsibilities to others.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #343 on: November 08, 2006, 09:11:02 pm »
I guess with our small population, 20million, the politicians need all the votes they can get.....But on election night, the polls close at 6pm, and by 9pm, even though by then only half the votes have been counted, it is clear by then who has won.......

Our political system is different to yours over there too....ours is cut up into different electrates, and it is who wins most of the electorates who wins power, and that is not necessarily which party gets the most votes overall......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #344 on: November 09, 2006, 11:38:55 am »
Sounds like our electorial college, which comes into play for Presidential elections, which is how Bush got elected.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #345 on: November 09, 2006, 12:41:11 pm »
The fecundity of life continues.....

As often happens, the party opposite the one in the White House has control of both houses of Congress again, and life goes on. Aside from the price of gas I can see little if any direct effect on  my life. Now if I were to aspire to greater things, I would run into opposition. I still can't get married, but I never had any plans of doing that anyway. It bothers me that a majority of the voters in my commonwealth would want to ammend the consititution because they are so fearful I would want to be like them, but in an odd twist it seems like the joke is on them. I don't need their approval.

What amazes me is that only 57% of the voters voted in favor of the amendment. 43% voted against it. I have never been proud of a defeat, but I almost am this one. Tennessee and South Carolina had much wider margins, and just a few years ago I could not have imagined the total in my state exceeding 10%. At my own polling place, out of 300 and some votes, 91 people voted against the amendment. I wish I knew who they were, probably know some of them.

In the short run, little may change, but at least we have the perception now that the regime has a friendlier face on it. That those who yell and holler at us that we are immoral and damned, have a lower platform from which to criticize. The tide of war, hopefull recceding on all fronts.

I recall too, that once my country changed to constitution to prevent people from consuming alcohol. That didn't last very long. You can't stop a river. You can divert it, you can make it back up somewhat, but that force of nature has to go somewhere. 

Offline wulfar360

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon
    • myspace
« Reply #346 on: November 09, 2006, 05:25:09 pm »
Truman!! You juvenile delinquent!! I have filed a report with Sheriff Roland!

>:( >:( >:(

Don't make me talk to your Momma!!

why are you reporting him to sheriff roland? he does vote

i on the other hand have never voted yet but there has yet to be anyone that i would actually give my vote to maybe in the next prez election
Sometimes it all still feels like a mass of dots               
but
more and more these days
I feel like we're all connected
and it's beautiful   
and funny
and good.

Aaron Davis Latter Days

"Its better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are  not"

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #347 on: November 09, 2006, 05:59:34 pm »
Sounds like our electorial college, which comes into play for Presidential elections, which is how Bush got elected.

Theres my ignorence.....thats who I thought you were voting for.....a new president.......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #348 on: November 10, 2006, 09:03:13 am »
For Andrew, a million words for all time:

Offline Andrew

« Reply #349 on: November 12, 2006, 09:26:04 am »
Now that's a diary!  Very impressive.  It looks as if the final published version is a tiny fraction of all that.

Thanks Shakes.  Been too busy to get much further on in it but I can't wait.