Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2579242 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #5330 on: August 20, 2010, 03:39:56 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh:
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #5331 on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:45 pm »
London and Rome! Wow you are the world traveller. Send me a post card, let me know your there.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5332 on: August 20, 2010, 09:03:15 pm »
London and Rome! Wow you are the world traveller. Send me a post card, let me know your there.

;D :-*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5333 on: August 22, 2010, 07:02:34 am »

;D

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5334 on: August 27, 2010, 12:04:58 pm »
On this day, 20 years ago I was driving down Depot Street listening to the news on the radio when I heard the news: Stevie Ray Vaughn had died early that morning in a helicopter crash.

I was stunned. How could such a thing happen?

In my drinking days, Stevie Ray was it. His home grown Texas blues was the soundtrack of my world. The lyrics I kept around to remind me to stay away from the dark side of life.

Twice I got to see him.

The first time was Halloween, 1985 and he was performing in Knoxville. Jason and the Scorchers were opening up for him. Four of us went in two cars. I rode with my friend the Rev. Billy Bob Karma, who was at the time the only Buddist in Southwest Virginia. He had a 1984 Mustang with a bad paint job. We stopped at the Package store headed out of town and bought multiple minibottles of Ameretto that we mixed with Mountain Dew on our heroic drive south.

Our average speed was 108 miles an hour. We passed everything on the road!

The show was in a large area at UT, and was about half full, a lot of bikers were there. A lot of college kids dressed up for halloween. It was a fright. Stevie Ray came out finally and whailed on that guitar, his feathered hat a bobbin' and I was happy, happy I had picked up on something special before it got ruined by popularity.

That night at one am, returning thru Fall Branch, Tennessee me and the Rev. Karma were the last customers at a Wendy's drive thru. He ordered a burger "and I don't want no goddamn pickles on it!" he demanded. When we got our orders the window was locked and the lights went out and he dicovered they had put every goddamn pickle in the place on it.

The second and final time was on Friday the 13th of February, 1986, in Johnson City (pronounced "Jon'city") Tennessee, at Freedom Hall, a small arena. It was also a full moon, the media claimed it would be the last time such would happen that century, and now that century is long behind us.

I met up with my friends at a bar downtown where they had been drinking all afternoon. One of them, a very masculine girl named Becky, later passed out and was carried into the place, where she was set in a seat and missed the whole show. I with a buddy, went down on the floor and up close to the stage where he played Voodoo chile, and everyone was dancing and moving to the music. It was wonderful. It was the pinnacle of my rock and roll experience.

Three years of change later, there would be no more chances to see him, but memories I would never forget. I can still feel those chords reverberate in my chest.

Here kitty, kitty.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPDJicA816s[/youtube]

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5335 on: August 27, 2010, 12:21:47 pm »
Thanks for sharing those memories. I don't really know his work myself, but I know folks who consider him one of the all-time greatest guitarists.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5336 on: August 27, 2010, 03:07:54 pm »
Thank you Truman for sharing your memories. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: you do have a talent to tell stories. Love it! :) Loved the pickles detail :laugh:.

Today you brought memories of my own life back to me.

The name Stevie Ray Vaughan rang a bell very, very far in the back of my mind. As so often, the video you posted doesn't play in my country ( :P). So I went to youtube and searched SRV. The first hit was Voodoo Chile and I listened to it. I didn't recognize it for sure - but boy, that was the type of music we listened to in pretty much similar settings you described. Same time, dubious clubs in dark cellars, plenty of stuff to be high on, and that type of music.
Next I searched for Superstition on youtube: BINGO!!! Yep, I sure do know this.

So while SRV wasn't the soundtrack of my life back then, I know I also listened to him in those wild days, long ago. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5337 on: August 27, 2010, 04:53:23 pm »
I saw SRV perform at Red Rocks Amphitheater less than a year before his death. I generally don't get into Texas music and can only take so much blues, but he was the exception. "The house is a rockin, don't bother knockin!"  :D
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5338 on: September 02, 2010, 10:26:15 am »
I thought about it, but I missed commenting on it. Yesterday was Nebraska Day.

In 2004 I went solo on a road trip with my car that had 4,000 miles on it, up to Chicago, Minnesota, The Dakotas, Rushmore, the Black Hills, thru Nebraska and Kansas, visited the Truman Library and grave of my namesake, down thru the Ozarks to Memphis and one loooong drive back into the eastern time zone.

On September 1st I awoke in a cavernous motel room older tan myself in Valentine, Nebraska, and drove east on Rt. 20 to the town of Bassett, where I turned south on Rt. 183. And I Drove. And Drove, And Drove.

Rt. 183 is a two lane road, and I averaged 55-60 miles per hour and seldom ever saw another vehicle. What I did see were the sand hills, and arid almost desert covered with sunflowers and humans feeble attempts to crow corn. Up and over the rolling hills, due south, the radio from Omaha keeping me company, all day.

The first little place I reached was the community of Rose, which was a wide spot in the road, looked like an extended family compound. Another hour south of there the road took me off in a SE direction. This took me near a state park, a human made lake, and a lush corridor of grass along the creek bank. Bird swooping and diving for bugs. And the bugs were everywhere. Locust, splattering the windshield and headlights. The night before I took a wash rag from the motel to the car was to try to scrub them off, but the sticky goo of their exploded bodies was baked on by the dry heat of Nebraska. When one hit the windshield you had 2 seconds to get the washer going or you would be dealing with it until the next stop.

The next stop was to buy gas, at an old gas station in the town of Taylor. The first real town I had been in in 2 hours. I wondered how people could live out in the country like that dealt with having to keep gas in their tanks an hour from the pump. They probably kept a tank where they lived, if they could afford it. I pulled up to the pump and this real country sounding fella come out and pumps the gas for me. He said it was a state law, seeing my Virginia tags and asking me where I am headed. They don't get many tourists.

I loved that little town, I rode around it and saw its big old high school and football field. Their season opener was going to be that Friday. It had a motel with 4 rooms, some big old houses and not a lot of people in the middle of the day.

On further south, Thur sunflowers of every description, stopping to eat lunch at a little county park with an outhouse and an sign explaining the sand hills. A walking trail lead over a hill to a small grave that was brightly decorated with the name Elliott. A sign there said the countryside was littered with graves of homesteaders, mostly children, long forgotten. Locals said that this was the grave of someone who had died on a rail road, which itself is long gone.

South of there was the town of Sergent, a bit bigger and a little less dry. I crossed a bridge above the Platte river and there south it began to get greener, at least the native weeds did. The corn stood dead in the fields mostly. A lady in a convenience store told me about her recent visit with her sister in Raleigh, North Carolina, and how it rained every day. "I wish we would get some of that here." she said.

By this time it was the afternoon and I wondered would I ever reach the state line. Except for Holdridge and finally Alma, there was nothing much but sunflowers and birds and locus. The sound of tires on asphalt and the smell of dust, chafe and sunshine. I rolled down my windows and let my fingers trail over the breeze, and thought about turning back, going back to Taylor and getting one of them 4 motel rooms and staying Thur the weekend. Go to the football game on Friday night and listen to the conversations of the people in the crowds. The high bridge over the Harland County lake made me want to stop there, find a little cabin somewhere and hold up for a while.

Would be nice, I thought, if I could just let myself. Just forget the itinerary and live in the moment. Maybe I will get back there one day. Strange little thing to hope for.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5339 on: September 03, 2010, 02:07:34 pm »
you should totally write professionally.....