Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2524533 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #5490 on: December 21, 2011, 12:25:15 pm »
Thank kew David, it really is just another day. There is somewhat of a break from things as people have lower expectations from me as the holidays approach. That break is welcome.

I got my stamps from the post office this morning so I will probably try and do my Xmess cards this evening. I got off to such a good start in late October but time slips away. I got off one to Germany, The Netherlands and Scotland this morning also.

Today is the Solstice, although technically it is just past midnight. It is raining here. It would be a good day to sit in a bar and drink, drink all day and call the tow truck about the time the supper rush starts. Maybe one day I will do that, but not today. I am hoping to go by some friends this week with a pint of egg nog and bourbon, we'll see if that happens. You all should know when you get your cards....... :laugh:

I was very sorry to hear that Phillip lost his father in the wee hours. This is a very hard time of year to loose someone, as if there was a easier time. I am not in close contact with him, but I wish strength and peace for him and John and his family.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #5491 on: December 21, 2011, 12:32:21 pm »
I was very sorry to hear that Phillip lost his father in the wee hours. This is a very hard time of year to loose someone, as if there was a easier time. I am not in close contact with him, but I wish strength and peace for him and John and his family.

Oh, dear! I hadn't heard.  :(  This is, indeed, a very hard time of year to lose someone, when everywhere you turn they're promoting joy and happiness. My thoughts and condolences to Phillip and John at this sad time.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5492 on: December 21, 2011, 12:40:26 pm »
They had just moved him to a care facility yesterday I believe.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5493 on: December 21, 2011, 12:58:54 pm »
That's very sad news.  Thanks for letting us know, Truman.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5494 on: December 21, 2011, 01:39:07 pm »
Scotland! Ooh!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #5495 on: December 23, 2011, 01:29:21 am »
I hope you and your family have a VERY Merry Christmas Truman, and the very best to all of you in the new year!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #5496 on: December 23, 2011, 04:10:15 am »

I am not sending christmas cards this year.  Sorry;  I just can't manage it.  Hopefully things will be
better next year.  Thanks to those that send them to me.  I will understand if you do not..  Love you
all and wish you the best of holiday wishes.  Merry Chrismahanaquansifestivus, to all of us.

Beautiful mind

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5497 on: December 26, 2011, 12:26:01 pm »
Happy Boxing Day.

On this day 39 years ago, the President I was named for died. I acknowledge this anniversary every year. As a child I had hoped to meet him. When he died I was nine and a half years old. I wore a campaign button from the 1948 election for days afterward, watching the coverage on TV.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF0dJYh3JbM[/youtube]

I suppose if I had to be named for a public figure Harry Truman was as good as any. As a child the name was not a popular one, it forced me to stand out when I didn't want to, it has lead to expectation from people who jump to conclusions. It sometimes forces me away from rabbit holes.

He was a very unlikely President. He had failed at most everything. He got into politics and found favor with a political boss that supported him, to the horror of his poor wife, a woman who lived 90 years in fear that the public would find out her father had committed suicide in the bathtub of the house where they still lived. I cannot help but think when he accepted the nomination in 1944 he knew what would happen. Roosevelt was obviously a very sick man. His family was carried along onto a roller coaster ride that included moving into a White House that was literally falling down around them. Most of the presidency would be spent living at the Blair House nearby while the entire place was rebuilt.

When I visited his grave at his library in 2004, there was a monument erected by a lone veteran thanking him for dropping the Atomic Bombs on Japan. It reflects an almost forgotten ideal held by tens of thousands of servicemen and their families. He had saved their lives probably. No invasion of the island needed. That gratitude now seems almost absurd in the face of the pandora's box every single person that will ever be born with have to deal with.

My namesake Integrated the military. I think that is his greatest achievement. He was called all sorts of things. He was disparaged and everyone expected him to loose the 1948 election. We have all see that picture. "Dewey Defeats Truman". He was not perfect. The "Martinsville Seven" a group of seven African American men from my town were convicted of raping a white woman, and were all executed. He could have come involved but chose not to.

He was full of one liners. He was a true dandy. In 1953 he and his wife packed their 8 year old car and they drove home to Missouri. Took a week. No secret service, no motorcade. Just two old people alone on the road, stopping and eating at diners, staying at roadside motels. Not even a cell phone. Such a thing will never happen again. In retirement the man whose finances had never been his strong point found a life of near destitution until Congress agreed to pay former Presidents a pension. He wrote him memoirs, and walked from his house to his office at his Presidential Library every day until the last month or two of his life.

I have lived to see a time when my name is considered cool. My own nephew and his wife considered naming their son for me but I talked them out of it. He is still better off with them name he has. I kind of like keeping it for meself.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #5498 on: December 27, 2011, 06:36:30 am »
Cool post truman
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #5499 on: December 27, 2011, 08:40:57 am »
Very cool post, big brother! :-*

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!