Author Topic: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings  (Read 2599729 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Shakesthegrounds Rumblings
« Reply #4060 on: March 03, 2008, 08:29:55 pm »
A while back I heard about a Van Halen reunion tour, they were talking to eddie I think and he said "man we suck".

There was a book of poems I had once by Leon Tewksberry or Shrewsberry or something like that called "The Drifting Away of All We Once Held Essential". Wish I could find that thing.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

« Reply #4061 on: March 03, 2008, 08:33:53 pm »
A while back I heard about a Van Halen reunion tour, they were talking to eddie I think and he said "man we suck".

There was a book of poems I had once by Leon Tewksberry or Shrewsberry or something like that called "The Drifting Away of All We Once Held Essential". Wish I could find that thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Drifting-Away-Leon-Stokesbury/dp/0938626523/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204590766&sr=1-8

Leon Stokesbury?

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4062 on: March 03, 2008, 08:40:58 pm »
http://www.amazon.com/Drifting-Away-Leon-Stokesbury/dp/0938626523/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204590766&sr=1-8

Leon Stokesbury?

Lard Gawd that is it! I even thought of Stokesbury but was like nah, that was the town my daddy was borned in! Thank kew, Jess!

injest

« Reply #4063 on: March 03, 2008, 08:53:19 pm »
Lard Gawd that is it! I even thought of Stokesbury but was like nah, that was the town my daddy was borned in! Thank kew, Jess!

;D ;D

you are welcome!!

:-*

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4064 on: March 04, 2008, 04:25:34 pm »
When I was a child we had a drive in in a nearby town called Rumley's. It was a tiny free standing hole in the wall that in its original incarnation had two plywood booths and shelves bulging with candy and cough medicine and St. Joseph's Aspirin and around the ceiling a shelf that held dozens of dusty and greasy trophies from the Connie Mack baseball team they sponsored every year. It was one of these places that the sign out front said "ABC On/Off", meaning they had a license from the Virginia Alcohol Beverage Control Board to sell beer for consumption on the premises and to purchase and carry off the premises for consumption.

I can remember that it was the summer of 1974, and I would put the date within 30 days prior to the resignation of the infamous U.S. President, Richard M. Nixon. On a Saturday evening my father had taken a bath and took me and my mother in her very white, 1967 Chrysler Newport to Rumley's for supper. He had his straw hat on. Pulled up in the curb service spot and we gave our order to the car hop. Then Daddy had to go inside and drink a beer. We weren't invited.

So there we sat and I had to go to the restroom so away I went, around the back where the outside entry restrooms were located, and noticed something on the wall on my way. On the way back I stopped to investigate the site, there on the whitewashed cinderblock block wall of the kitchen was written in pencil in the tiniest printing possible the word: Shitass. Nothing else. No frame of reference, no identification of who was one. Someone had gone to the trouble of documenting their feeling for someone apparently. I thought it was an extremely odd thing to come across.

I asked my mother what as Shitass was and she basically told me it was something bad you called someone you didn't like. I already knew that. I just wanted to hear what she would say.

Our food came, I went inside and told Daddy and directly he came out and ate. We were already finished. They got into an argument and I sat in the back seat and whispered to no one: Thanks for the warning.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4065 on: March 05, 2008, 09:59:43 am »
So last night was the VIP night for the local trade show that the Chamber of Commerce puts on. It is always a good opportunity to see people I have not seen in a while. The office says it is a great opportunity to network. I personally feel networked to death already.

When I got there the radio said there was a Tornado watch going on. I was glad I had an umbrella for the half mile walk thru the drizzle. Angry people were trying to get in the front door of the former textile plant, there was no sign to tell them to walk around to the side and come in by the loading dock. But once inside you could leave all that mess behind, in favor of free food and drink, pens, pencils and post it notes. The local alpaca farm even had a real specimen on a leash. Once I got done with my obligatory time in our booth I went trick or treating for office supplies.

The crowd was not as big or as drunk as in years past. I am sure it was because of the weather. About 7 I left, there was just a bit of light left in the sky so I could see it roiling and by the time I got home it was moaning and carrying on like there really was going to be a tornado. I dropped the sash and stuck my head out the window and listed to the moaning of the trees. The wind did indeed sound like a freight train, for about five minutes.

Then everything went dark, everything went silent. The electricity quickly drained from the lines and the world around the house ground to a halt. I stepped outside in the warm wet air and gazed at the illuminated horizon of Martinsville reflected off the clouds, and around me only the darkened forms of the trees and houses.

"This is real" I told meself.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4066 on: March 06, 2008, 02:04:09 pm »
Last night I went to the funeral home for the visitation of my friends mother in law who had lost a heroic battle against cancer, one day short of her 64th birthday.

As I was standing in the receiving line betwixt the open casket and the room the family was receiving the callers I spied my friends sister from Florida, the lady who owns Don Wroe's cabin. Had not expected to see her here. And then my eyes seised up because sitting right next to her was her Aent, Bobbie Jo, all 90 lbs of her and my mind flew off to a sweet destination.

Bobbi Jo is the creator of the manna of the gods. Its name for us mortals is Lemon Lush. Lemon Lush will make the dead sit up and smack their mamma. It has been said that when someone in her family dies people will often turn up for the after funeral meal in hopes she has prepared it for consupmtion. She always prepars a huge amount of it. I first had it after the funeral of my friend Carol's mother back in 2000. Carol and Bobbi Jo were both tellers at the same bank and when the mininster said grace he thanked God ""for Bobbi Jo bringing her Lemon Lush" and he was right to do so.

So as I type, a fine lady who will never be able to partake in this worldy delight is being buried, and her share is being coveted.  :P

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4067 on: March 06, 2008, 02:59:44 pm »
The local alpaca farm even had a real specimen on a leash.

That alpaca is cute. I wonder if they bite?

I think I'd rather have the Lemon Lush, though.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #4068 on: March 06, 2008, 03:53:28 pm »
Last night I went to the funeral home for the visitation of my friends mother in law who had lost a heroic battle against cancer, one day short of her 64th birthday.

As I was standing in the receiving line betwixt the open casket and the room the family was receiving the callers I spied my friends sister from Florida, the lady who owns Don Wroe's cabin. Had not expected to see her here. And then my eyes seised up because sitting right next to her was her Aent, Bobbie Jo, all 90 lbs of her and my mind flew off to a sweet destination.

Bobbi Jo is the creator of the manna of the gods. Its name for us mortals is Lemon Lush. Lemon Lush will make the dead sit up and smack their mamma. It has been said that when someone in her family dies people will often turn up for the after funeral meal in hopes she has prepared it for consupmtion. She always prepars a huge amount of it. I first had it after the funeral of my friend Carol's mother back in 2000. Carol and Bobbi Jo were both tellers at the same bank and when the mininster said grace he thanked God ""for Bobbi Jo bringing her Lemon Lush" and he was right to do so.

So as I type, a fine lady who will never be able to partake in this worldy delight is being buried, and her share is being coveted.  :P

Aww sweet Truman!
I love reading your stories. I can relate! I never had lemon lush before but when my Nannie died and then my Paw Paw, cousin Delilah made her famous potato cheese and pinappple casserole. Now you may be thinking that sounds like a wierd combo but let me tell you, it is good! i don't know what else goes in it but it is so good! That and Wades Chicken and tater logs! ;D
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4069 on: March 06, 2008, 03:55:33 pm »
Next time I am up there I am gone get me some of them tater logs, they sound good.