Author Topic: 'Brokeback' screening lands prison officer in hot water  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
Re: 'Brokeback' screening lands prison officer in hot water
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 10:27:29 am »
"It was not the subject matter. It was the graphic nature of sexually explicit scenes," Wiffin said.

If it is alright for a 15 year old to see, why is it not fine for a buch of adults to see? ???
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 01:24:03 pm »
What I want to know is how the audience reacted...

EnnisDelMar

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 01:25:30 pm »
Strange...that's all I'm gonna say

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 07:16:19 pm »
I think it's understandable, given the restrictions that go on in prison.  Any movie that depicts sexuality is a hard sell.  Even if there's different opinions on how graphic it is, there is sex in the movie and they tend to not want to show it to inmates.  I'm not an expert and I don't work in the prison system, but I know people who have been in jail and it's pretty strict to dumb comedies or very mainstream, non-offensive stuff.

I don't agree with the thinking because it treats all inmates as though they couldn't handle depictions of sex, but that's my understanding of why they wouldn't show BBM.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....