Author Topic: Cassie?  (Read 3028 times)

Offline CarlaMom2

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Cassie?
« on: December 03, 2006, 02:46:59 pm »
What was the deal with Cassie?  I didn't get the idea that she knew, but that she was basically effected by Ennus's closed down emotions.  Do you think that Alma Jr. had an idea?  Did Alma ever tell her?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Re: Cassie?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 03:11:46 pm »
I believe that Cassie is reacting to running into Ennis after he had "disappeared" while fishing with Jack, and is exasperated he has not reponded to her notes or got in contact with her.

Ennis, who is fairly mororose to begin with, is still knumb from his parting with Jack and here she comes. He is like "oh no, another entanglement to deal with". He never really offers her any explaination and I doubt cassie has a clue what the real story is.  She is upset he is not the person she wants him to be.

The only inkling she may have been told something is in the scene with Alma, Jr.. The consensus seems to be the girls knew, as they did meet Jack once.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 03:37:59 pm »
What was the deal with Cassie?  I didn't get the idea that she knew, but that she was basically effected by Ennus's closed down emotions.  Do you think that Alma Jr. had an idea?  Did Alma ever tell her?

I believe I agree with Shakes' interpretation here. I don't think Casssie knew about Jack & Ennis.  For her, Ennis is just not the man she wanted him to be.  And maybe that's where her pain comes from - she doesn't understand 'Why.'  By all outward appearances, Ennis should be right for Cassie.

As to Junior, I think she knows about her dad and Jack.  'Maybe he's not the marrying kind' speaks volumes to me coming from a teenage daughter, showing a maturity and understanding beyond her years.  Also, if you watch closely, Junior gives Ennis a few sideways glances when he's explaining why it's not a good idea for her to live with him.  He is being protective of her, sure, but I also don't think he wants to let anyone too close for fear of what they might come to know of him.  And Junior understands this.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 03:41:02 pm »
Hi again, Carla...I believe Jr. knew, but not from being told by Alma.  I think it was just something she picked-up on after meeting Jack.  As for Cassie, she didn't have a clue!  She was just madly in love with Ennis, an as shakes (above) says, she was just reacting to his absence and lack of contact....Doug

Offline CarlaMom2

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 05:16:57 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Sorry if I am asking questions that were already asked.  I just fell in love with this movie last week and I am blown away by it.  There are so many hidden meanings in it.  Sorry again if I am repetitive. :-\

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 05:35:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  Sorry if I am asking questions that were already asked.  I just fell in love with this movie last week and I am blown away by it.  There are so many hidden meanings in it.  Sorry again if I am repetitive. :-\

I am thankful that you fell in love with BBM and that you found us!  No apologies necessary.  I, for one, will talk about BBM ad nauseum until someone tells me to shut up - just ask any of my RL friends :).  And I bet most people here feel the same way, or we wouldn't be here!

There was a transforming power in my own experience with BBM.  It won't allow me to quit it, and I don't want to, in any case.

So post away!!

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline tamarack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 08:39:24 pm »
I've often wondered if Ennis flipped Cassie when he was "puttin the blocks to her" like he did Alma. And if he did, why didn't this raise some suspicions? Should that be taken as an indication that he didn't? And if he didn't, why not?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 08:51:09 pm »
I've often wondered if Ennis flipped Cassie when he was "puttin the blocks to her" like he did Alma. And if he did, why didn't this raise some suspicions? Should that be taken as an indication that he didn't? And if he didn't, why not?

Pure speculation here, but I would say Ennis and Cassie did also have anal sex.  In my reading of crime thrillers, sexual behavior - turn-ons, turn-offs, rituals, etc. - are characteristic to personalty and do not change over time.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline CarlaMom2

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 10:20:14 pm »
Good points on that.

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 03:25:19 pm »

I guess there's no way of knowing much about Cassie's and Ennis' sexual habits. But some heterosexual couples engage in anal sex, so if he flipped her, I don't know that Cassie would jump to the conclusion that he's gay.

But another thing. I gather one reason Ennis flips Alma is that he's missing Jack. By the time Cassie comes along, Jack is back in the picture, so Ennis might be less inclined to flip.