Author Topic: The short story  (Read 21828 times)

Offline nakymaton

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka Mel
Re: The short story
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2006, 05:33:28 pm »
So we've been talking about the prologue. Clarissa (Ellemeno)'s sig reminded me of another moment in the story that isn't in the film: the moment when Ennis buys the postcard.

Clarissa's sig: "One's enough," said Ennis.

I was trying to remember where in the story that came, and then it hit me: that's Ennis buying the postcard. And taken out of context, the line takes on a whole new meaning. (Especially when added to the earlier sentence about visiting every mountain range in Wyoming, but never going back to Brokeback Mountain.)

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2006, 07:57:29 pm »
Tell you what, "One's enough" could apply to Ennis's relationship with Jack, too. You find that one great love in your life, and it can be enough, even if your lover dies. You can continue to live on the memory of it for the rest of your days. :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CarlaMom2

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2006, 08:31:49 pm »
"One's enough"  Love is so strong.  I feel I have the stregnth to do it once.  If anything happened to my husband(God forbid)  that would be it for me.  Love is great, but it is also hard work to keep it great, you know?

I think Ennis felt himself only "once."

Offline mlewisusc

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2006, 04:17:20 am »
"One's enough."  Good catch, gang.  And if it was Jack F***in Twist, I would say one's enough in more ways than one! :laugh:
"Good enough place" - Ennis del Mar

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2006, 02:24:26 am »
Hi Carla!
Welcome to BetterMost!

You have a few choices for purchasing the story Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx.  One is a paperback with just the story.  There is a Story to Screenplay that includes a later version of the movie screenplay and some interviews.  Also, it is in the collection of short stories called Close Range.  There is also a hardcover published by Scriber, which I didn't find on the B&N site and may be harder to find.  If you want that one, I would check other Internet retailers.  I found mine in Atlanta at a GLBT bookstore called 'Outwrite.'  :)

Enjoy!
Lynne

Hello, BBM newbie here - just glad to be here one year later...   After seeing the movie for the first time, which version of the short story would you (or anyone else) recommend reading first? Thank you.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2006, 07:28:23 am »
Hello, BBM newbie here - just glad to be here one year later...   After seeing the movie for the first time, which version of the short story would you (or anyone else) recommend reading first? Thank you.

Hi BBM-Cat,

welcome to BetterMost. Make yourself at home. Have a cup of coffee, piece of cherry cake?

There's only one version of the short story (except for The New Yorker, where the prologue is missing). It's only in different books.

You can either buy the book Close Range- Wyoming stories by Annie Proulx. It conatains a collection of diffferent short stories, all from Wyoming. BBM is the last one in the collection.

Or you can buy the story-to-screenplay book. It contains the original short story (same as it is included in Close Range, too), the screenplay for the movie and three essays fom Annie Proulx, Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry. And some pics of the movie.

I'd recommend the story-to-screenplay book first. I liked reading the screenplay too. The essay from Annie Proulx is very informative and a great read. I also liked Ossana's essay, McMurtry's not so much.

This is how the story-to-screenplay book looks:

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0743298152.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65787542_.jpg

I have also the Close Range collection and can recommend this, too. The other Wyoming stories are a good read too (but they don't have to do anything with BBM, mind you). But at first I'd buy the STS book.

Edited to erase a mistake
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 03:56:32 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2006, 10:21:32 am »
Hello, BBM newbie here - just glad to be here one year later...   After seeing the movie for the first time, which version of the short story would you (or anyone else) recommend reading first? Thank you.

I'll add my vote to recommending you get a copy of Story to Screenplay. It's an invaluable resource. No Brokie home should be without it.  ;D (And, if you can find and/or want to spring for the hardback version, the pictures from the movie in the hardback version are in color!)

Of course, it's also nice to have a copy of just the story--handy to carry with you in purse, briefcase, or backpack!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2006, 05:04:22 pm »
Thank you - you guys are awesome!! I appreciate being pointed in right direction and cannot wait to read both the short story and the story to screenplay versions. Having seen the movie first, are there many significant differences between the text and movie versions? I realize this is probably addressed in another forum - but if you have a nutshell opinion...

Thanks for the hospitality - I'd  better hold off on the coffe and piece of cherry cake for now, as I have a couple of books to order!

Hi BBM-Cat,

welcome to BetterMost. Make yourself at home. Have a cup of coffee, piece of cherry cake?

There's only one version of the short story (except for The New Yorker, where the prologue is missing). It's only in different books.

You can either buy the book Close Range- Wyoming stories by Annie Proulx. It conatains a collection of diffferent short stories, all from Wyoming. BBM is the last one in the collection.

Or you can buy the story-to-screenplay book. It contains the original short story (same as it is included in Close Range, too), the screenplay for the movie and three essays fom Annie Proulx, Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry. And some pics of the movie.

I'd recommend the story-to-screenplay book first. I liked reading the screenplay too. The essay from Annie Proulx is very informative and a great read. I also liked Ossana's essay, McMurtry's not so much.

This is how the story-to-screenplay book looks:

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/0743298152.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65787542_.jpg

I have also the Close Range collection and can recommend this, too. The other Wyoming stories are a good read too (but they don't have to do anything with BBM, mind you). But at first I'd buy the STS book.

Edited to erase a mistake
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2006, 05:15:00 pm »
Thank you - you guys are awesome!! I appreciate being pointed in right direction and cannot wait to read both the short story and the story to screenplay versions. Having seen the movie first, are there many significant differences between the text and movie versions? I realize this is probably addressed in another forum - but if you have a nutshell opinion...

My hasty nutshell view is that you will rarely find a film as close to its literary source as Brokeback Mountain--and yet the film adds astonishing depth to an already very deeply moving story.

Read the essays in Story to Screenplay by Annie Proulx and Diana Ossana. They greatly reward the effort.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2006, 05:27:42 pm »
Having seen the movie first, are there many significant differences between the text and movie versions? I realize this is probably addressed in another forum - but if you have a nutshell opinion...

Thanks for the hospitality - I'd  better hold off on the coffe and piece of cherry cake for now, as I have a couple of books to order!

You're welcome. It's always a pleasure to see people who have just newly discovered BBM and are now going through similar experiences like I have/we have. And don't be afraid to ask questions that (might) have been asked before. You'll find someone who is willing to share his opinion once more or to point you into the right direction, where you can find answers.

Are there many significant differences between story and movie?
Yes and no. Or maybe I'd better say no and yes  ;) because my first impression was that movie and story are very similar; that the movie is very true to the story (and it indeed is!).

But the deeper you dig in it, the more differences you will find.