Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?  (Read 23926 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:45:45 am »
"A Christmas Carol" is definately my favorite all time Christmas movie. I love the Hallmark Hall of Fame version with George C. Scott. I think it came out in 1989 or 1990. I also love "The Preacher's Wife".  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 03:02:22 am »
Dear Father Christmas, I mean David,

:)

I chose It's a Wonderful Life.  What a community!  :)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 03:21:14 am »
What a great idea for a poll David  :-*  I use to love the Bishops Wife when I was growing up.  I watched it everytime it was on TV and the original Miracle on 34th Street with Maureen O'Hara...very fond memories of lying on the floor in front of the fire with a big pillow watching both of those.   Of course my brother and I lived for Charlie Brown, The Grinch, Rudolph and Nestor the Christmas Donkey....we loved that Rankin Bass stuff in the 60's.  :D

I still watch them all and if they're not shown I have the videos, But ever since the late 80's my all time favorite has been Prancer.  I so identify with little Jessica Riggs, even the town she  lives in and her family farm remind me of my childhood. Except my Mama was there.  Great feel good film for me.  Brings back lots of memories.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 04:13:14 am »
"A Christmas Carol" is definately my favorite all time Christmas movie. I love the Hallmark Hall of Fame version with George C. Scott. I think it came out in 1989 or 1990. I also love "The Preacher's Wife".  :)
                     i like the oldest one i guess the brittish version, it seems the closest to the dickens book in my opinion,,its black and white and i guess that also adds to the feel of the movie.  but as you asked any year is great.

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:39:03 am »
                     i like the oldest one i guess the brittish version, it seems the closest to the dickens book in my opinion,,its black and white and i guess that also adds to the feel of the movie.  but as you asked any year is great.

Yes. There are many versions of "A Christmas Carol". I also really like the old black and white verson of the Charles Dickens novel with Alistair Sim. I think that version came out in 1950. Of course this was entitled "Scrooge" and not "A Christmas Carol". Same story, different title.

I wonder if you are thinking of the 1938 version starring Reginald Owen as Ebenezer Scrooge and Gene Lockhart as Bob Cratchit?

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 05:50:53 pm »
My favorite are two that aren't on the list:

Sublime:  "A Christmas Memory", a memoir by Truman Capote.  A black-and-white film done in the late '60s, I think.  Stars the sublime Geraldine Page as Capote's eccentric aunt.  Used to see it on PBS; I bought the old VHS copy from my local independent video store.

Ridiculous: "Scrooged" with Bill Murray is a hilarious update of the Christmas Carol story.

Also:

Hall of Fame: Has to be "It's a Wonderful Life".

Hall of Shame:  Susan Lucci as Ebbie (Elizabeth?) Scrooge. 

Paul

moremojo

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 05:58:30 pm »
My favorite isn't on the list. It's the 1944 Vincente Minnelli classic Meet Me in St. Louis, which has a little something for every season, not least the Christmas one! This is one of my favorite films of all time, one I never tire of watching.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 06:02:57 pm »
I like a lot of these, but my all-time favorite is actually "The Homecoming" - the movie upon which the series "The Waltons" was based with Patricia Neal.  I think I like it so much not because it's such a great movie but because I have pleasant memories of watching it with my Mom every Christmas time when I was a kid.
No more beans!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 12:38:47 am »
Snow snow snow snow SNOW! It won't be long before we'll all be there in snow. I long to wash my hands, my face, my hair in snow.

White Christmas

Heathen

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 01:15:35 am »
David, you're such a softie.  :-*

I chose "A Wonderful Life" because if George Bailey and Clarence can't make  you feel glad to be alive, I don't know who can.  :)

But I'm glad you included "Bad Santa," which, although seemingly the anti-Christmas movie, is really unexpectedly poignant, all the while being so, so funny.  ;D

*Throws a snowball at RouxB*    Gotcha!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...