Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?  (Read 24110 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?
« on: December 04, 2006, 02:45:45 am »
"A Christmas Carol" is definately my favorite all time Christmas movie. I love the Hallmark Hall of Fame version with George C. Scott. I think it came out in 1989 or 1990. I also love "The Preacher's Wife".  :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

Re: What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 03:02:22 am »
Dear Father Christmas, I mean David,

:)

I chose It's a Wonderful Life.  What a community!  :)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 03:21:14 am »
What a great idea for a poll David  :-*  I use to love the Bishops Wife when I was growing up.  I watched it everytime it was on TV and the original Miracle on 34th Street with Maureen O'Hara...very fond memories of lying on the floor in front of the fire with a big pillow watching both of those.   Of course my brother and I lived for Charlie Brown, The Grinch, Rudolph and Nestor the Christmas Donkey....we loved that Rankin Bass stuff in the 60's.  :D

I still watch them all and if they're not shown I have the videos, But ever since the late 80's my all time favorite has been Prancer.  I so identify with little Jessica Riggs, even the town she  lives in and her family farm remind me of my childhood. Except my Mama was there.  Great feel good film for me.  Brings back lots of memories.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 04:13:14 am »
"A Christmas Carol" is definately my favorite all time Christmas movie. I love the Hallmark Hall of Fame version with George C. Scott. I think it came out in 1989 or 1990. I also love "The Preacher's Wife".  :)
                     i like the oldest one i guess the brittish version, it seems the closest to the dickens book in my opinion,,its black and white and i guess that also adds to the feel of the movie.  but as you asked any year is great.

Beautiful mind

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:39:03 am »
                     i like the oldest one i guess the brittish version, it seems the closest to the dickens book in my opinion,,its black and white and i guess that also adds to the feel of the movie.  but as you asked any year is great.

Yes. There are many versions of "A Christmas Carol". I also really like the old black and white verson of the Charles Dickens novel with Alistair Sim. I think that version came out in 1950. Of course this was entitled "Scrooge" and not "A Christmas Carol". Same story, different title.

I wonder if you are thinking of the 1938 version starring Reginald Owen as Ebenezer Scrooge and Gene Lockhart as Bob Cratchit?

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 05:50:53 pm »
My favorite are two that aren't on the list:

Sublime:  "A Christmas Memory", a memoir by Truman Capote.  A black-and-white film done in the late '60s, I think.  Stars the sublime Geraldine Page as Capote's eccentric aunt.  Used to see it on PBS; I bought the old VHS copy from my local independent video store.

Ridiculous: "Scrooged" with Bill Murray is a hilarious update of the Christmas Carol story.

Also:

Hall of Fame: Has to be "It's a Wonderful Life".

Hall of Shame:  Susan Lucci as Ebbie (Elizabeth?) Scrooge. 

Paul

moremojo

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 05:58:30 pm »
My favorite isn't on the list. It's the 1944 Vincente Minnelli classic Meet Me in St. Louis, which has a little something for every season, not least the Christmas one! This is one of my favorite films of all time, one I never tire of watching.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 06:02:57 pm »
I like a lot of these, but my all-time favorite is actually "The Homecoming" - the movie upon which the series "The Waltons" was based with Patricia Neal.  I think I like it so much not because it's such a great movie but because I have pleasant memories of watching it with my Mom every Christmas time when I was a kid.
No more beans!

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 12:38:47 am »
Snow snow snow snow SNOW! It won't be long before we'll all be there in snow. I long to wash my hands, my face, my hair in snow.

White Christmas

Heathen

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 01:15:35 am »
David, you're such a softie.  :-*

I chose "A Wonderful Life" because if George Bailey and Clarence can't make  you feel glad to be alive, I don't know who can.  :)

But I'm glad you included "Bad Santa," which, although seemingly the anti-Christmas movie, is really unexpectedly poignant, all the while being so, so funny.  ;D

*Throws a snowball at RouxB*    Gotcha!  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 03:32:02 am »
I chose "A Wonderful Life" because if George Bailey and Clarence can't make  you feel glad to be alive, I don't know who can.  :)

"Every time you hear a bell ring, an angel gets his wings"!

.... or something like that.  :D

Yes. If I had a second favorite Christmas movie, "It's A Wonderful Life" would be it! 

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 03:35:18 am »
I also love "A Christmas Story". TBS plays this movie over and over again every Christmas Eve. I have learned to love it over the years.

The fact that it takes place in my home state of Indiana doesn't hurt either!  :)

mvansand76

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 05:08:37 am »
I voted for It's A Wonderful Life.

Can I add National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? God, that's a hilarious movie... I love Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid together!

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 03:01:24 pm »
I just saw Polar Express. That was really a wonderful movie!   But my favorite Christmas movie always has been and always will be 'Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" the original one with Burl Ives as the snowman.  It's just not Christmas for me unless I see that!  I guess the kid in me still comes out at Christmas time.
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 12:35:02 am »
Hey, where's The Grinch who stole Christmas?  The animated version.  Did I miss it on the list?  It would be my first choice.

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't think much of It's a Wonderful Life.  I get misty-eyed at the end  - well, before the stupid 'angel getting his wings' bit - but I fast forward through most all of it to get to that part.

My second favorite is A Christmas Carol, but I either like the Albert Finney one or the 1930's one.  Can't recall the actor's name in that last one.  I was very disappointed in the George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart adaptations.  George C. Scott was unconvincing in the role and Stewart's version was boring, amazingly enough.

My 3rd favorite is A Charlie Brown Christmas.

Last Xmas, my best friend made me sit down and watch the movie about the kid who wants a BB gun for Christmas.  It was alright.  I guess you had to watch it as a kid to be nostalgic about it.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 12:37:43 am by delalluvia »

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 03:31:36 am »
And I  still love "Hans Brinker". This movie puts me in the Christmas spirit every time I watch it.

I also developed my lifelong obsession with Robin Askwith because of this movie.

Nicky, don't you dare laugh.  ;)

Can I add National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation? God, that's a hilarious movie... I love Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid together!

I love that movie too Melissa! James Stewart and Donna Reed were brilliant in that film. Of course Lionel Barrymore did a very convincing job portraying "Mr. Potter". He was such a grouch in that movie.  :D

Yes, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was a good movie. I should have included it on my list. The squirrel in the Christmas tree will probably invoke some recent memories for me the next time I see it.  :D

mvansand76

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 07:42:25 am »
Yes, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation was a good movie. I should have included it on my list. The squirrel in the Christmas tree will probably invoke some recent memories for me the next time I see it.  :D

What about this:

Eddie: I don't know if I oughta go sailin' down no hill with nothin' between the ground and my brains but a piece of government plastic.
Clark: Do you really think it matters, Eddie?

or:

Todd: Hey Griswold. Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?
Clark: Bend over and I'll show you.

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 08:32:45 am »
I also developed my lifelong obsession with Robin Askwith because of this movie.

Nicky, don't you dare laugh.  ;)

I'm struggling David, I'm struggling... ;) **Nicky bursts into a loud guffaw**  :-*

If we're talking Christmas movies it's absolutely gotta be 'It's a Wonderful Life'. Stunning performance from James Stewart, but then I always thought he was way under-rated as an actor. The movie itself is very dark, and I find Stewart immensely moving way before the closing credits. This giving man plagued by dreams that never were and promise unfulfilled. Beautiful film.

I've also got a soft spot for 'Gremlins' and 'Bad Santa', which was so much better than I ever thought it would be - lovin' Billy Bob  :D

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Toast

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2006, 11:18:38 am »
My choice has to be  -  A Christmas Story (1983)

Don't get me started on this movie. Every scene every word of dialogue is priceless.
  My Fav LINE:  You'll put your eye out.

Review

Tagline
A Tribute to the Original, Traditional, One-Hundred-Percent, Red-Blooded, Two-Fisted, All-American Christmas...

And of course Charlie Brown will always play into my Christmas plans.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 02:52:23 pm by Toast »

Offline Toast

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2006, 02:42:32 pm »

OMG. Just after I posted this message, I saw this in the New York Times (I'll post it for you since you have to register to read it - Free registration though.)

Recreating ‘A Christmas Story’ for Tourists in Cleveland
David Maxwell for The New York Times

The Radigan family took a picture with the leg lamp.

By CHRISTOPHER MAAG
Published: December 6, 2006

CLEVELAND, Dec. 4 — If Denny Renz were a boy again, he said, he would love nothing more than to re-enact Ralphie Parker’s childhood.

He would crawl under the kitchen sink the way Ralphie’s brother, Randy, did to hide from Mr. Parker, their father in the 1983 movie “A Christmas Story.” He would swing from the tree in the backyard, he said, dodging imaginary BBs fired from Ralphie’s coveted “official Red Ryder 200-shot carbine action range model air rifle.”

“I’ve never seen this house before, but it’s like I grew up here,” said Mr. Renz, 62, who drove 103 miles from Fairview, Pa., to see the home here where exterior shots of “A Christmas Story” were filmed.

Though originally panned by critics as a dark depiction of the holidays, “A Christmas Story” has earned status as a movie classic, rivaling long-time seasonal favorites like “It’s a Wonderful Life.” Now fans from as far away as Los Angeles and Phoenix are flocking to a gritty Cleveland street overlooking a steel factory to visit the Parker family house restored to its movie glory.

A San Diego entrepreneur, Brian Jones, bought the house sight unseen on e-Bay for $150,000 in December 2004. He grew up watching “A Christmas Story” every year with his family. After Mr. Jones failed the vision test required to become a Navy pilot, his father tried cheering him up by building him a lamp with a woman’s leg as the base, similar to the one that enchanted Ralphie’s father in the movie.
--------------------------

David Maxwell for The New York Times
Mr. Jones has now opened the house to tours.
---------------------------

Amy Sancetta/Associated Press
Brian Jones, with a Red Ryder air rifle, started a business that sold the leg lamp made famous in “A Christmas Story.”
---------------------------
Mr. Jones loved the gift so much that he started manufacturing copies of the lamps himself. Complete with fishnet stocking and a black high-heeled shoe, most lamps sell for $139 each; more than 7,500 have sold. Mr. Jones used the proceeds to cover the down payment on the house.

“When I first saw the house, there was snow on the ground, and I started running around the backyard,” said Mr. Jones, 30. “It felt like I was a little kid again.”

Unlike the Parkers’ single-family home in the movie, the Cleveland house was a duplex. (All the movie’s interior scenes were filmed on a sound stage in Toronto, Mr. Jones said.) Previous owners had installed modern windows, and covered the original wood siding with blue vinyl.

Watching the movie frame by frame, Mr. Jones drew plans of the Parker home. He spent $240,000 to gut the interior and transform the house into a near-exact copy of the movie set. (Darryl Haase, a tour guide, apologizes that the new stairwell is a few inches narrower than the one where Ralphie modeled his pink bunny pajamas.)

“Now I watch the movie and I catch myself looking at the background for anything we’re missing in the house,” Mr. Jones said.

To make the home feel more authentic, Mr. Jones hopes to install a stereo that recreates the sounds of Mr. Parker in the basement, swearing at the furnace. He briefly considered a Cleveland businessman’s offer to blow artificial smells of food, including Mrs. Parker’s cooked cabbage, through the house’s heat ducts.

Mr. Jones borrowed $129,000 to turn the house across the street into a museum and gift shop. Displays include the comically immobilizing snowsuit worn by little Randy, who famously cried, “I can’t put my arms down!”

Fans can buy a copy of the movie script for $40. Chunks of the house’s original wood siding cost $60.

About 4,300 people toured the house on opening weekend in November, Mr. Jones said. Admission is $5 for adults, $3 for children 12 and under. He has no official attendance projections, but expects at least 50,000 visitors a year.

In a city starved for jobs and tourist dollars — the Census Bureau ranked Cleveland as America’s poorest big city in 2006 — the house has sparked a miniature tourism boom. For $159 the Renaissance Cleveland Hotel offers “Christmas Story” packages, which include overnight accommodations for two, tickets to the house and the movie playing continuously on the room television set.

Patty LaFountaine-Johnson, an actor from Cleveland, sews red-and-green felt hats like the one she wore as an elf in the movie. Autographed, they sell in the gift shop for $35 each. “A veritable steal, made personally by the elf from hell herself,” Ms. LaFountaine-Johnson said.

At C&Y Chinese Restaurant, the official restaurant of the “Christmas Story” house, waiters copy the movie’s Christmas turkey scene by taking a roasted duck to customer’s tables, where they chop its head off with a giant cleaver. The promotion has doubled the restaurant’s weekend sales to over 1,000 people a day, said Jimmy Fong, the manager.

“Before last month, I never heard of this movie,” Mr. Fong said. “Now I’ve seen it over 100 times. I like it very much.”

Link to New York Times

Offline Toast

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2006, 03:09:27 pm »
A Christmas Story
I cannot imagine people analyzing a movie and buying memorabilia from it
But .....    lol.

If you love Christmas Story, then you would love to have Bobble-Heads from the movie.

More here.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2006, 05:18:23 pm »
I must have watched SCROOGE (1970) with my family ten times in 1970's when it came on tv.  I have the dvd.  The lyrics are quite good and ALbert Finney is wonderful. The cast being all British lends an air of authenticity to it.  Great sets as well.  I think it also had the best ghosts...

The Scrooge in hell scene was deleted for tv. Maybe it was running too long or you kinda figured out where he was going to end up at.  It's in the DVD.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 12:34:48 am »
My choice has to be  -  A Christmas Story (1983)

Don't get me started on this movie. Every scene every word of dialogue is priceless.
  My Fav LINE:  You'll put your eye out.

Review

Tagline
A Tribute to the Original, Traditional, One-Hundred-Percent, Red-Blooded, Two-Fisted, All-American Christmas...

And of course Charlie Brown will always play into my Christmas plans.

Something funny about this movie: it wasn't until years later that I realized this movie takes place in Indiana. For years I thought it took place in Cleveland, Ohio. Later I found out it was filmed in Cleveland (and Toronto, Ontario) but the story is set in Indiana. Maybe I was confused because the family lived on Cleveland Street. I don't know. I'm a dingbat.

I didn't care for this movie the first few times I watched it. It grew on me. I guess TBS helped a bit by playing the movie over and over again on Christmas Eve.

My favorite scene in the movie is the flag pole dare!  :D

My sister and I use to dare each other to stick our tongues on the metal ice cube trays when we were kids. WHEW!!! God, that was terrible. But for some reason, I love the flag pole scene. I have a sick sense of humor I guess.  :P

I also like the "soap" scene. I had my mouth washed out with soap numerous times when I was a kid. But it wasn't Lifeboy. It was Ivory. Oh, it tasted terrible. YUCK!  >:(
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 12:40:45 am by David925 »

moremojo

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 11:19:26 am »
I must have watched SCROOGE (1970) with my family ten times in 1970's when it came on tv.  I have the dvd.  The lyrics are quite good and ALbert Finney is wonderful. The cast being all British lends an air of authenticity to it.  Great sets as well.  I think it also had the best ghosts...
Scrooge was a great childhood favorite of mine as well; I saw it more than once at the theater with my family. "Happiness is Whatever You Want It to Be" is still stored in my memory bank. This is by far my favorite film adaptation of this Dickens classic.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 12:24:27 pm »
Scrooge was a great childhood favorite of mine as well; I saw it more than once at the theater with my family. "Happiness is Whatever You Want It to Be" is still stored in my memory bank. This is by far my favorite film adaptation of this Dickens classic.

You're so upbeat and positive more:)  The song that sticks with me and my sister all these years later is "I thank you very much".  So much so, we recalled it when Capital One did a commercial with the song last Christmas.  Why we favored that song, I don't know.  Morbid sense of humor, I suppose.  For those who have seen it and know when the song is sung, you'll know what I'm talking about.  ;D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2006, 09:34:20 pm »

Yeah, I saw that movie at the theatre too, back in 1970. We were in Cincinnati and my aunt took my sister and me, along with three of my cousins to the movie in her Volkswagen Beetle! We were all packed into that little car like sardines, but we sure had a lot of fun.  :)

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2007, 12:48:43 pm »
Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol.

I love the music in it.  Especially the songs "All Alone In The World", and "Winter Was Warm".

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 11:05:24 am »

Oh gads do i have to choose just one..        let me see I think The christmas story then, for so many reasons...That movie is a parody of all the things we all revere about christmas...It is right up my alley kind of
humor...Taking sacred cows and making them funny...Everyone dreams of winning something, and his dad
finally does.  It is the worlds ugliest lamp and his mom hates it.  But he is so proud of winning he puts the
hideous monstrosity in the window.  Only a wife that has a husband with no sense of decorating can truly appreciate that part of the movie...I also loved the kid getting dressed like the babbendum man, only to need to go back  inside needing to pee.........that is a great movie...sure enough

Beautiful mind

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 02:52:03 pm »
Without a doubt --- "A Christmas Story". It makes me laugh till I cry every time I watch it. And the setting is just so.....Americana like.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

moremojo

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2007, 12:11:33 pm »
And the story of Phoebe Cates' character's dad was just horrible.
My mother was horrified at this moment when we saw the film together upon its initial theatrical release. One man in the audience hooted with laughter at this point (and I think the moment was intended to be funny, in a black-comedy sort of way).
It also bothered me to think that this dark movie was marketed to kids.  Wasn't it one of the movies that helped to bring about the PG-13 rating?
Not sure about that, but I do know that Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, from around the same time, was instrumental in bringing about that new rating.

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 03:19:44 am »
Ah, a shame no one voted for the lovely Loretta Young and Cary Grant in the Bishops Wife.  One of my personal favorites.
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 02:17:06 pm »
A Christmas Story is my favorite also.  It plays for 24 hours on TBS here in Florida too on Christmas Eve/Christmas day.  My friends and I  have seen it dozens of times, and can probably quote all the lines from it!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 02:23:32 pm »
White Xmess, with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 02:43:43 pm »
I don't have a favorite Christmas movie...
 :(

I do love the animated Grinch, and lots of the holiday Mickey Mouse cartoons (particularly with the chipmunks and the tree)... I also like the Christmas scene in You've Got Mail where what I call 'the Joni Mitchell Christmas song' is playing...

Oh - I thought of one, not sure if it counts - Love Actually!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 11:03:53 pm »
"A Christmas Story"

I saw a Christmas ornament last week -- it was the leg lamp (major prize) from the movie.
  ;)

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 06:52:01 pm »
I also enjoyed the 1970's TV film The Homecoming: A Christmas Story, which inspired the series The Waltons. 

Oh God yes!! I love it too Gary! I loved Patricia Neal in this movie!  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 06:54:27 pm »
Does anyone remember "The House Without A Christmas Tree"? I think it was a made for TV movie. It is from the 1970's. I remember watching this movie as a kid, and I loved it. I haven't seen it again in many years. It is a bitter-sweet movie. Very Christmasy.  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 02:55:48 am »
David, I don't think I've seen A House Without a Christmas Tree, but I looked it up and it sounded like something I might enjoy.  Blockbuster online has it, so I put it on my queue.  I'll let you know what I think. 

I noticed that you have Bad Santa on your list of possible favorites.   :o  That movie was pretty funny, but I think I'd be afraid of someone who said it was their favorite holiday film.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Black Christmas would probably be at the top of their list also.   :-X

Gary

Hi Gary! :D

Can you believe this? I found "A House Without A Christmas Tree" for sale at Wal-Mart! And I bought it too! I was so excited when I saw it sitting there!

Anyway, if you want to get a copy of it, go to Wal-Mart, and look for their Christmas DVD section. At my Wal-Mart it was located in the regular DVD area, just across the aisle from the new releases. It was only $7.96 too! I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid. I remember the Grandma in this movie reminded me of Grandma Walton (Ellen Corby). It's not her, but she sure reminded me of her! Jason Robards is in the movie too!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 03:12:05 am »
I love the 1966 TV film A Christmas Memory, which is a dramatization of a short story by Truman Capote.  It was narrated by Capote and stared Geraldine Page.  It's about a little boy who has been sent to live in Alabama with relatives in the 1930's.  None of his relatives make much of an effort to make him feel at home, except for his cousin Sook, played by Page, who is an odd duck.  The two of them spend the month of December flying kites, hunting in the woods for a Christmas tree, and making fruit cakes and mailing them off to people like Eleanore Roosevelt.

I also enjoyed the 1970's TV film The Homecoming: A Christmas Story, which inspired the series The Waltons

Gary
I'm going to look for A Christmas Memory. I love Geraldine Page. The Trip to Bountiful is one of my favorites!
I also LOVED The Homecoming. I love Patricia Neal. My favorite episode of Little House on the Prarie was the one where she passed away. This was the note she wanted read at her funeral.

Remember me with smiles and laughter,

for that is how I will remember you all

If you can only remember with tears,

then don't remember me at all

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2007, 03:57:41 am »
I'm going to look for A Christmas Memory. I love Geraldine Page. The Trip to Bountiful is one of my favorites!
I also LOVED The Homecoming. I love Patricia Neal. My favorite episode of Little House on the Prarie was the one where she passed away. This was the note she wanted read at her funeral.

Remember me with smiles and laughter,

for that is how I will remember you all

If you can only remember with tears,

then don't remember me at all

I love the Geraldine Page version too Rich.  But everyone seems to have the pale by comparison Patty Duke version on the racks.  I found the Geraldine Page one at www.joesclassicmovies.com for $7.50

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2007, 04:18:19 am »
I love the Geraldine Page version too Rich.  But everyone seems to have the pale by comparison Patty Duke version on the racks.  I found the Geraldine Page one at www.joesclassicmovies.com for $7.50
Thanks Dottie!!
What an  awsome site! I saw a bunch of other movies I want too!
Dang, I'm gonna be broke! LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2007, 07:07:04 pm »
Does anyone remember "The House Without A Christmas Tree"? I think it was a made for TV movie. It is from the 1970's. I remember watching this movie as a kid, and I loved it. I haven't seen it again in many years. It is a bitter-sweet movie. Very Christmasy.  :D

I haven't thought of this one in years.  Thanks, David. 

When I was in sixth grade, our teacher invited the class to her house to watch this film.  Most of us had seen it, as it was repeated for a few years.  Our task was to write a "screenplay" which we then cast and performed as our own Christmas play. 

Thanks for the memory!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2007, 01:05:30 am »
Since we have some members who were not here last year when I originally created this poll, I have reset and reopened it allowing people to vote for their favorite movies until January 3, 2008.

So, if you voted last year, please vote again because everything has been reset. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2007, 01:11:25 am »
Also, I have added several new movies to the list. If you have a favorite movie and it isn't on the list, please let me know and I will add it for you!  :D

And I've changed the poll a little bit. You may now vote for three of your favorite movies. Last year you could only vote for one. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2007, 01:14:09 am »
I haven't thought of this one in years.  Thanks, David. 

When I was in sixth grade, our teacher invited the class to her house to watch this film.  Most of us had seen it, as it was repeated for a few years.  Our task was to write a "screenplay" which we then cast and performed as our own Christmas play. 

Thanks for the memory!

Well, if you want to own a copy of it Paul, they are selling it at Wal-mart. I just bought it the other day! :)

Offline dot-matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2007, 01:58:22 am »
Three is so limiting DAVIDDDDDD!!!!!  But I'll manage I guess.  You know I love holidays  and holiday movies are the BEST.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2007, 01:26:29 pm »
Three is so limiting DAVIDDDDDD!!!!!  But I'll manage I guess.  You know I love holidays  and holiday movies are the BEST.
I know!!!
I had to go with the classics.
There were some newer ones I Love! Like the polar express! I bawl at the end of that one! I just love it!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2007, 04:13:12 pm »
THE LION IN WINTER.  I love the play and enjoy watching the film. It's not exactly a heart warming holiday tale, but it's a great story about a very very dysfunctional family getting together for the Christmas Court.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2007, 04:59:13 pm »
I like Holiday Inn and it's "remake" White Christmas, plus A Charlie Brown Christmas (although that's not really a movie).

Here's an interesting article I found the other day on "It's A Wonderful Life" and its "rebirth" in 1974. I often wondered why I never saw it growing up...now I know.

Another one that has a fun Christmas scene, although it is not a "Christmas movie" (technically) is "Desk Set" with Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2007, 10:23:15 pm »
My favorite are two that aren't on the list:

Hall of Shame:  Susan Lucci as Ebbie (Elizabeth?) Scrooge. 

Paul

Really?  I love Ebbie!  I'm looking for it right now!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2007, 10:34:43 pm »

I love all versions of "A Christmas Carol."  Actually, I think A Christmas Carol is the scariest thing I've ever seen or read.  Charles Dickens studied the occult, and his drawings, his literary desciption of Marley's Ghost is very frightening.  Think of it--being all alone at night in your home--a place where you should feel safe-- and all of a sudden you're subjected to bells clanging, chains being dragged up the stairs.  I would lose my mind!  Even the Muppet's version has me turning on every light in the house.  I won't watch any verion of A Christmas Carol or Scrooge alone.

Does anyone remember an African American version starring that guy who played Benson?  There is another Scrooge version with Henry Winkler, and an African American version starring Cecily Tyson.  Let us not forget "A Diva's Christma Carol, with Vanessa Williams in the starring role.

I also love the musical version of A Christmas Carol (or is it Scrooge?) starring Albert Finney.

The TBS version featuring Patrick Stewart(sp?) is also a fine production. 

Scrooged with Bill Murray is outrageous, and a great favorite.

The 1950 version with Alistair Sim is perhaps the best.  I also remember an English modern day gangster version that I haven't seen in years.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2007, 10:36:54 pm »
Dear Father Christmas, I mean David,

:)

I chose It's a Wonderful Life.  What a community!  :)

A Classic.  I'm in love with "The Kid Who Loved Christmas" which starred everyone from Sammy Davis Jr. (his last performance) to Della Reese to Vanessa Williams and Ben Vereen.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2007, 10:51:42 pm »

An all-time favorite.  It's just not Xmas without NL Christmas Vacation.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2007, 10:55:14 pm »

"Happiness is Whatever you Want it To Be" is the only great song in the entire movie.  I find myself humming it even in June!  :laugh:

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2007, 10:58:40 pm »
Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol.

I love the music in it.  Especially the songs "All Alone In The World", and "Winter Was Warm".

I almost forgot about this one!  I have such fond memories of my brother choking in fits of laughter when the char woman, the undertaker and the laundress are at the Rag and Bone man's shop pawning scrooge's stuff.  When they start jumping up and down and singing, "FA LA LA LA LA LA LA...!"  Hilarious!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2007, 11:01:01 pm »
I love the 1966 TV film A Christmas Memory, which is a dramatization of a short story by Truman Capote.  It was narrated by Capote and stared Geraldine Page.  It's about a little boy who has been sent to live in Alabama with relatives in the 1930's.  None of his relatives make much of an effort to make him feel at home, except for his cousin Sook, played by Page, who is an odd duck.  The two of them spend the month of December flying kites, hunting in the woods for a Christmas tree, and making fruit cakes and mailing them off to people like Eleanore Roosevelt.

I also enjoyed the 1970's TV film The Homecoming: A Christmas Story, which inspired the series The Waltons

Gary

Good choices, Gary.  Does "Planes Trains and Automobiles" qualify?  I think this one is mainly about Thanksgiving, but I can't go through the Xmas season without watching it!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2007, 11:09:33 pm »
There is a little known TV production titled "J.T." that is very sad.  I haven't seen it in years.  Anyone else know about it?   

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158681/

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2007, 10:14:21 pm »
Susie, I added The Snowman to the poll. It is the last one on the list, just under "other". It looks like a very cute movie.

Hi David,

Blockbuster sent me A House Without a Christmas Tree.  Very quiet and sensitive film.  I enjoyed it a great deal.  Thanks for telling me about it. 

Gary

I'm glad you enjoyed it Gary. It's one of those movies I guess. I'm not really sure how good or bad it is, but I remember watching it as a kid and it brings back memories for me. I hadn't seen it in years, and I found it at Wal-Mart and bought it.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2007, 09:58:21 pm »
Cheers my dear!!  :-*

Anything for my sweet Susie!! :)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 10:03:19 am »
There was a version of A Christmas Carol that had Henry Winkler as Scrooge.
Anyone see it?
I think that was a great one!
Henry Winkler is a fine actor!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2007, 01:56:14 am »
There was a version of A Christmas Carol that had Henry Winkler as Scrooge.
Anyone see it?
I think that was a great one!
Henry Winkler is a fine actor!

I saw it, Loneleeb3.  I believe I mentioned it in one of my earlier posts.  :)

Offline nova20194

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2007, 01:57:54 pm »

Without a doubt, "A Christmas Carol" (1951) ("Scrooge").  I've seen all the versions, but this is the only one I watch anymore.  I've never seen Alastair Sim in any other films, so to me he IS Ebeneezer Scrooge.  Last year I got the DVD which has both the original black and white version, as well as a colorized version.  I wasn't sure if I was going to like it in color, but it actually looks very good.  If I had to choose, though, I'd go with the B&W version.

"A Christmas Story" is the only other holiday film that I watch faithfully every year.  I see that quite a few other folks here mentioned it.  I think it's hilarious, but I know some people who can't stand it.  Go figure.

My third choice would be "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947), but I think that the 1994 version wasn't bad.