Author Topic: What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?  (Read 24109 times)

Offline pettifogger

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Just passin through
Re: What Is Your Favorite Christmas Movie?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 03:19:44 am »
Ah, a shame no one voted for the lovely Loretta Young and Cary Grant in the Bishops Wife.  One of my personal favorites.
You and I are travelers just passing through this earth

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 02:17:06 pm »
A Christmas Story is my favorite also.  It plays for 24 hours on TBS here in Florida too on Christmas Eve/Christmas day.  My friends and I  have seen it dozens of times, and can probably quote all the lines from it!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2007, 02:23:32 pm »
White Xmess, with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2007, 02:43:43 pm »
I don't have a favorite Christmas movie...
 :(

I do love the animated Grinch, and lots of the holiday Mickey Mouse cartoons (particularly with the chipmunks and the tree)... I also like the Christmas scene in You've Got Mail where what I call 'the Joni Mitchell Christmas song' is playing...

Oh - I thought of one, not sure if it counts - Love Actually!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 11:03:53 pm »
"A Christmas Story"

I saw a Christmas ornament last week -- it was the leg lamp (major prize) from the movie.
  ;)

"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 06:52:01 pm »
I also enjoyed the 1970's TV film The Homecoming: A Christmas Story, which inspired the series The Waltons. 

Oh God yes!! I love it too Gary! I loved Patricia Neal in this movie!  :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 06:54:27 pm »
Does anyone remember "The House Without A Christmas Tree"? I think it was a made for TV movie. It is from the 1970's. I remember watching this movie as a kid, and I loved it. I haven't seen it again in many years. It is a bitter-sweet movie. Very Christmasy.  :D

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2007, 02:55:48 am »
David, I don't think I've seen A House Without a Christmas Tree, but I looked it up and it sounded like something I might enjoy.  Blockbuster online has it, so I put it on my queue.  I'll let you know what I think. 

I noticed that you have Bad Santa on your list of possible favorites.   :o  That movie was pretty funny, but I think I'd be afraid of someone who said it was their favorite holiday film.   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  Black Christmas would probably be at the top of their list also.   :-X

Gary

Hi Gary! :D

Can you believe this? I found "A House Without A Christmas Tree" for sale at Wal-Mart! And I bought it too! I was so excited when I saw it sitting there!

Anyway, if you want to get a copy of it, go to Wal-Mart, and look for their Christmas DVD section. At my Wal-Mart it was located in the regular DVD area, just across the aisle from the new releases. It was only $7.96 too! I haven't seen this movie since I was a kid. I remember the Grandma in this movie reminded me of Grandma Walton (Ellen Corby). It's not her, but she sure reminded me of her! Jason Robards is in the movie too!

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2007, 03:12:05 am »
I love the 1966 TV film A Christmas Memory, which is a dramatization of a short story by Truman Capote.  It was narrated by Capote and stared Geraldine Page.  It's about a little boy who has been sent to live in Alabama with relatives in the 1930's.  None of his relatives make much of an effort to make him feel at home, except for his cousin Sook, played by Page, who is an odd duck.  The two of them spend the month of December flying kites, hunting in the woods for a Christmas tree, and making fruit cakes and mailing them off to people like Eleanore Roosevelt.

I also enjoyed the 1970's TV film The Homecoming: A Christmas Story, which inspired the series The Waltons

Gary
I'm going to look for A Christmas Memory. I love Geraldine Page. The Trip to Bountiful is one of my favorites!
I also LOVED The Homecoming. I love Patricia Neal. My favorite episode of Little House on the Prarie was the one where she passed away. This was the note she wanted read at her funeral.

Remember me with smiles and laughter,

for that is how I will remember you all

If you can only remember with tears,

then don't remember me at all

"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2007, 03:57:41 am »
I'm going to look for A Christmas Memory. I love Geraldine Page. The Trip to Bountiful is one of my favorites!
I also LOVED The Homecoming. I love Patricia Neal. My favorite episode of Little House on the Prarie was the one where she passed away. This was the note she wanted read at her funeral.

Remember me with smiles and laughter,

for that is how I will remember you all

If you can only remember with tears,

then don't remember me at all

I love the Geraldine Page version too Rich.  But everyone seems to have the pale by comparison Patty Duke version on the racks.  I found the Geraldine Page one at www.joesclassicmovies.com for $7.50
Life is not a dress rehearsal