Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 534809 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #790 on: December 17, 2006, 02:08:16 pm »
Greetings from sunny but cool California peeps!  ;)

How's everyone doing?

Louise ~  Great to hear that you had an awesome time with Fabienne!  Can't wait to see a pic or two!

Can't wait to check out the new updates when I get a chance!

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #791 on: December 17, 2006, 02:48:39 pm »
Greetings from sunny but cool California peeps!  ;)

How's everyone doing?

Louise ~  Great to hear that you had an awesome time with Fabienne!  Can't wait to see a pic or two!

Can't wait to check out the new updates when I get a chance!

Hey Milli! Long time no talk to!

Enjoy your holiday! Hope the weather warms up!

:-*

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #792 on: December 17, 2006, 04:36:30 pm »
and yes, another update to "What I did"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/185476.html  "3. One A Them Straight Queers"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #793 on: December 17, 2006, 07:24:01 pm »

update to "What I did"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/185692.html "4. In For a Pound"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #794 on: December 17, 2006, 07:32:13 pm »
A while back we discussed how fascinating it is for lovers to find out each other's first impressions when they met. Ennis is about to unveil that mystery! Rivetting stuff. It's like falling for Ellery all over again!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #795 on: December 17, 2006, 10:12:39 pm »
I am glad you are enjoying it, Jo - what about the rest of you readers, now that you have had a taste of Ellery's point or view of sizing up a 40-something ranch hand in Bill's apartment, to finding excuses to keep him in Laramie long enough to charm the pants off him...?

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #796 on: December 18, 2006, 02:26:51 am »
I am glad you are enjoying it, Jo - what about the rest of you readers, now that you have had a taste of Ellery's point or view of sizing up a 40-something ranch hand in Bill's apartment, to finding excuses to keep him in Laramie long enough to charm the pants off him...?

Louise, this new story is great. One of the many good things in your Laramie Saga is the way you characterise Ellery through his manner of speaking - sarcastic, witty, and no-nonsense to everyone who annoys him.  I've culled out a few examples which I especially liked:

Ellery's very first comment when Ennis is mentioned on the phone by Bill: "Ennis who? Is that a boy or a girl?”

And his first observation of Ennis when they meet:  "And there he sat. Keeping his eyes well away from Gene, but when I showed up, givin me an up and down that I felt like a bare hand on my ass."

A neatly sarcastic throwaway comment:    "....Bill said, strikin' a Thinkerish pose."

One of the frequent references to Ellery's film-star tastes:    "I gave him my best John Wayne to Monty Clift reassurin smile, hoping he responded with the same level of hero worship and trust Monty did in “Red River” and I couldn’t have been more wrong."

And his first success in getting Ennis to smile:

“There ain’t one word a that ain’t true, Bill. I volunteer here to investigate this shit, an you drag Ennis into this Byzantine crapola for whatever reason I do not know, an we’re sittin here like statutes while you have some noontime nookie with your U a W piece a ass. Priorities, Bill.”

“It was just a quick –“

“Don’t tell me the fuckin blow by blow.” By now, Ennis had definitely decided to smile “If I wanted some schoolboy I’d go down an pick somebody off the wrestlin team, but I ain’t.”

I love that phrase: 'Byzantine crapola', - whatever it is!!  :)
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline caramelle58

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #797 on: December 18, 2006, 02:44:35 am »
After "devouring" the story about Dupree's erotic awakening I'm - again - completely addicted to "Day off". I am enjoying Ellery's sarcastic eloquence and it's always interesting to hear, what to people who eventually get together felt during their first meeting.

Being a detective Ellery know how to interpret people, I wonder how long it takes for him to feel the strong attraction towards the stranger who doesn't smile.

Like it - very much so, thank you

Caramelle

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #798 on: December 18, 2006, 02:59:12 am »
you're right Caramelle, Ellery is good a reading people. He knows how far he can go with the questions and knows when Ennis has had enough.

this dialogue is so intens and sad, Ennis's life in only a few words...

“You ever been with a man, Ennis?”

“Yeah – so?”

“So you ain’t wonderin about yourself...”

“No – just wonderin about everybody else. Never met no other queers.”

“So what happened? It didn’t work out? Yer wife find out an kick ya out?”

Ennis went from gray to green. “Got killed.”

“Sorry ta hear it, Ennis. Violence?”

“I dunno, don’t want ta think about... it wasn’t that long ago, if ya don’t mind.”

“Sure, okay.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #799 on: December 18, 2006, 05:07:03 am »
"And there he sat. Keeping his eyes well away from Gene, but when I showed up, givin me an up and down that I felt like a bare hand on my ass."

Yeah well he sure was gonna feel that bare hand on his ass in the near future that's for sure!

Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great