Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 534929 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #820 on: December 18, 2006, 07:51:36 pm »
SPOILER

Does anyone else think that it is slightly unethical of him to use his position in the Sheriff's office to obtain this information?

Hi, Richard - Nope, nothing unethical about it at all.  County court records are open to the public  -unless for some specific reason the judge rules otherwise -(you sometimes see this in the case of "celebrity divorces" - which, of course wouldn't apply to Ennis and Alma!  ;D)  So, while the clerk at the court may have moved a little faster when she got a call from a deputy in another county in Wyoming, the record of Ennis's divorce judgment would be available to anyone who inquired.   Of course in 1984 in Laramie, Wyoming, the court records would not yet have been on the internet, but in the county I work out of all the court records are available online with a few keystrokes.   Many people are surprised at this - I know when I first told my husband about the availability of records to the general public he was really surprised! 

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #821 on: December 18, 2006, 08:17:04 pm »
Hi, Richard - Nope, nothing unethical about it at all.  County court records are open to the public  -unless for some specific reason the judge rules otherwise -(you sometimes see this in the case of "celebrity divorces" - which, of course wouldn't apply to Ennis and Alma!  ;D)  So, while the clerk at the court may have moved a little faster when she got a call from a deputy in another county in Wyoming, the record of Ennis's divorce judgment would be available to anyone who inquired. 

Hi Marie - Thanks for that. I did not know any of that, so it's very interesting background. Ok, so Ellery can be cleared on the charge of being unethical, though I suppose we still could see doing that to be unusual. Most gay men are not going to do a courthouse check before deciding whether they will pursue their interest in a possible partner, who at that stage could only be regarded in a 'casual affair' category. In some ways, Ellery's pursuit of Ennis is an interesting repetition of Jack's approach to Ennis twenty two years earlier - showing off, trying to impress, joking, drawing him out into conversation, especially making him talk about himself. Both of them are interested in discovering the real person behind Ennis' stoic, shy exterior, and both eventually succeed beyond expectations.
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #822 on: December 18, 2006, 08:37:01 pm »
SPOILER!

Ellery is trying to "account for" Ennis.  Ennis is obviously a scared man in the closet, so - what is he doing in a gay bar?  Married and on the down low, looking for someone to replace the long term lover he lost?  If so, Ellery does not want to pursue fantasies about a married man in a dead end situation.  Also - he knows Ennis lied about where he is from, therefore, he knows Ennis is covering something up, but not why, and not how much.

So before he jumps in with both feet, he is doing what detectives do - finding out what he really does need to know - is he a criminal?  and is he married?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline moia

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #823 on: December 19, 2006, 04:23:09 am »
I wanted to wait until this tale was finished and read it in one gulp like I did Taking chances, but I didn't really manage :)

SPOILER?

I thought that Ellery checking Ennis's marital status while he was supposedly checking about Wilson at the station was hilarious, I loved that new fact :) perhaps he should confess that to Ennis at some point? It never crossed my mind it could be unethical, but I'm glad Marie said it isn't in any case.  And I guess he did have a reason to check it since Ennis had lied about where he's from and Ellery had done some poor choices in guys before as we now know and so it's ok if he's a bit careful, I think.
I also found it funny that he was flirting with that waitress only for ''Ennis's benefit'' and it also explains why he doesn't exactly do it all the time.
And I like it that we see Ellery's insecurities that he keeps very private and Ennis does realise that that is what is behind that very confident facade much later on, but it's been there from the start!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #824 on: December 19, 2006, 11:47:38 am »
upppppdate:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/186543.html  "7.  The Victim"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #825 on: December 19, 2006, 02:44:16 pm »
Happy Birthday, Jake Gyllenhaal!  Hope his day is very special!
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline opinionista

« Reply #826 on: December 19, 2006, 04:19:40 pm »
Hey everyone! I haven't had much time to post around here but I've been trying to catch up with the new story. I have to say this is very interesting. When I read Taking Chances one thing I always wondered was what was Ellery's opinion of Ennis's reaction to the whole ordeal. I can't wait to read what his reaction was to their first night together, when Ennis accidentally drops Jack's journal right before making love to Ellery, and begins to cry. Ellery was very kind to Ennis but I wonder, how did he really feel at that very moment.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #827 on: December 19, 2006, 04:39:16 pm »
upppppdate:

http://louisev.livejournal.com/186543.html  "7.  The Victim"

SPOILER

Grabbing a minute for some quick thoughts -

GREAT, Louise!  ;)

"“You ate again already?” Bill stared me down – what, we had a dinner date?"

This line always cracked me up - shit is hittin' the fan everywhere and Bill is taking umbrage at the fact that they ate again already!   :laugh:

"Ennis growled at Bill: “You said go there, I went. That’s all they had.” Man after my own heart."

Man after our hearts, too, Ellery - he does love that growl, doesn't he? 

"“Just got started on this one,” he said. Little smile. He would a taken one if Grady hadn’t been there lookin on.

“Bit tired. Didn’t have a lotta sleep.” That wasn’t it, but at least he was admittin he needed sleep at last. He was more than just edgy and sour – he was beat.

Ellery can already read Ennis really well!

We finally find out what happened while Ennis was napping (and dreaming) - and what Grady was watching on TV.  Ellery hates Barney Fife - that is absolutely hilarious - and so Ellery!  :laugh:

“Sure.” He pulled on the shirt, which was a cryin shame, and got up, rubbin his eyes. My hero."

Sigh.  Our hero, too, Ellery!

Thanks  - Marie

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #828 on: December 19, 2006, 07:46:25 pm »
Happy birthday NavyVet!

Many happy Jakes!

And i am working at this late late hour on chapter 8.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #829 on: December 19, 2006, 08:47:56 pm »
Update!

Sorry for the lateness... my departure from Deutschland has been unexpectedly hastened and my apartment-cleanup and travel arrangement situation has had to be accelerated.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/186732.html  "8.  Wyle E. Cantrell And Deputy Del Mar"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:54:23 pm by louisev »