Author Topic: Brokeback back in theatre  (Read 3309 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Brokeback back in theatre
« on: December 04, 2006, 10:12:56 am »
Just a little teaser to share my joy and get you a bit envious  ;)

BBM is back on the biiiiig screen this week in an arthouse cinema at Heidelberg, where I was born and grew up. Only three screenings this week, but that's much better than most of us can do, isn't it?  ;D

This evening my RL fellow Brokie and I will go and see it  :) :) :) :) :)
*little happy dance*

It will be the first time I see the original version on the big screen. Until now I've seen it either dubbed in theatre or OV on DVD.

Some of you already know that my fellow brokie does not speak English. Yet she's looking forward to this evening just as I am. That's what I call a true Brokie!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brokeback back in theatre
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 12:06:12 pm »
OMG - dubbed and Voiced Over - so you've never actually heard Heath's and Jake's own voices in it???!!!

Oh, honey, are you in for a real treat.  And as you already know, knowledge of the English language is not required.  A whole lot more is said with furtive glances and penetrating (ahem) stares than can possibly be said with words, anyway.

And yes, I am jealous!  But mostly very happy for you!

;D  ;D  ;D
No more beans!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 12:30:35 pm »
Penthesilea 

I'd be curious as to how some of the Western slang that I had never herad of before got dubbed into German.  :)  "I redlined it all the way."  Is there an equiv in German for "redline."  Do German cars even have a red zone on the speedometer to show your really pushing down hard on the engine?  I know you guys can go full throttle on the autobahns, (is that still the case?) so is there even a need for a red zone? 

Yes, enjoy the film.  Jake and Heath do great Western accents.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 12:36:11 pm »
Color me *GREEN* with envy - and have a lovely evening!!

-Lynne
 8)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 01:12:23 pm »
OMG - dubbed and Voiced Over - so you've never actually heard Heath's and Jake's own voices in it???!!!

No, no. I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't very clear. OV stands for original (in this case: English) version = undubbed. I've seen it in English with Heath's and Jake's own voices many times. Only not in cinema. In cinema I saw it only dubbed in German. But I do own an  imported DVD from Great Britain and it's naturally in English with the original voices.

But today evening the theatre shows it in English, undubbed (=OV). So it's the first time I'll see it on the big screen and at the same time OV.

For my friend it will be the first time she'll see the OV, since she doesn't speak English. She had borrowed the OV DVD from me before, but had watched only part of it.

And yes, I am jealous!  But mostly very happy for you!

;D  ;D  ;D

Thanks. I'm happy for myself, too  ;D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 01:51:31 pm »
Penthesilea 

I'd be curious as to how some of the Western slang that I had never herad of before got dubbed into German.  :) 

It's not dubbed into any regional German slang. But colloquial language is used.

"I redlined it all the way." 

If memory serves it was translated with "Ich habe das Gaspedal die ganze Zeit durchgedrückt." Literally translated into English this would be "I pushed the acceletator pedal as far down as I could; all the way."  But no guaranties for this, since it's months ago that I saw the dubbed version.

Is there an equiv in German for "redline." 

No. Maybe you could say "Im roten Bereich fahren" = "to drive within the red zone"

Do German cars even have a red zone on the speedometer to show your really pushing down hard on the engine? 

Not on the speedometer, but on the rev meter/ rotational-speed sensor (I looked up the technical terms, hope you know what I mean). In Germany, most cars have a rev meter additional to the speedometer.

I know you guys can go full throttle on the autobahns, (is that still the case?) so is there even a need for a red zone? 

Yes, in general we can still go full throttle on the Autobahn. But on many sections of Autobahn, there are speed limits. For safety reasons, for noise protection and so on.
The red zone on the rev meter is to warn the driver that the engine of the car will be damaged if you continue to drive like this. This is related to the fact, that most cars in Germany are not automatic cars, but with gear shift. Doesn't have to do with the actual speed. If you drive 50km/h in the first gear, this is a pretty lame speed - but enough to ruin your engine. You'd better change into the second or third gear.

Yes, enjoy the film.  Jake and Heath do great Western accents.

I will. But my English skills are not good enough to differ various American accents from another. I'm able to differ the English from the Scots and European English speakers from American ones, but that's it. And for the Aussies, they are the ones who speak the third kind of English I know: not European, not American, so it must be Australian, lol.  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 02:17:57 pm »
Color me *GREEN* with envy - and have a lovely evening!!

-Lynne
 8)

Thanks Lynne. We will.
We will be  ;D and  :laugh: and :D and  :( and  :'(.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 04:55:46 pm »
What a nice early Christmas gift to give yourself, Chrissi.  Enjoy!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...